- Text Size +
"Where are we going?" I asked growing more impatient with each passing second.

Nick had hijacked the driver's seat of the car and we were headed towards downtown Lexington.

"You know, that's like the 20th time you've asked that question since we left the house. I would have thought you'd have caught on by now that I ain't tellin!"

I leaned over and punched him in the shoulder and he laughed, "Hey! What was that for?"

"That was for being an ass. Now tell me where we're going before I kick you out of my car!" I looked over at him and he shook his head. I knew it was a losing battle but I wasn't giving up just yet.

"Niiiiick..." I whined, "I told you I didn't want a big party. Please, if you planned something big just spill the beans now and turn around and take me home."

"Or else?" He asked, glancing over at me winking. I shot him a look that told him he'd better not tempt me and he quickly backed down.

"I promise babe, it's nothing big. Just dinner with a few people."

"You swear?"

"I swear."

I leaned back and sighed, trying my best to relax. I was ready for this day to be over. I'd had a great time just staying home and spending time with Nick and our new puppy and and I'd only agreed to come at all when he'd told me he'd had this whole thing planned for weeks.

He pulled the car into an empty parking space on a familiar street and leaned back in his seat reaching over and taking my hand in his. "Baby, this is going to be fun... just give it a chance."

I pasted on my best smile and gave him a kiss, "I'll try my best."

"Soooo... have you figured out where we're going yet?" He asked gesturing to the street ahead of us.

"Well, " I said leaning forward and peering out the window, "If my memory serves me right my favorite steakhouse is right down the block there."

"Does that make you happy?" He looked over at me with those beautiful blue eyes and I could have sworn my heart melted into a puddle on the floor of the car.

"Nick, sweetie... I'm from Kentucky. Steak ALWAYS makes me happy!"

He rolled his eyes at me and climbed out of the car. He walked around to my side and opened the door. He was always such a perfect gentleman. I took his hand and we walked down the street to Columbia's Steakhouse together.

We walked in the door and the hostess greeted us and asked for our name.

"Carter party," He said wincing when I elbowed him in the ribs at the word 'party.' He looked over at me and I shrugged.

We followed her to the back of the restuarant and through a small door.

"Surprise!" They all cheered as I came into the room. I was shocked to see everyone sitting there. Nick had been truthful, it wasn't a huge party but everyone I knew and loved was gathered together in that room.

"Auntie Grace!" I heard Baylee yell as he came leaping towards me and into my arms, "I missed you!"

"I missed you too Taterhead," I beamed, bending down and setting him on the ground. I gave him the biggest hug in the world and planted at least a thousand kisses on his tiny face.

As I stood up Brian took me in his arms. I hugged him back for a long time. If there was anyone I'd miss as much as I'd missed Nick it was Brian. He pulled me back and looked at me before giving me a gentle kiss on the cheek and whispering in my ear, "You look so beautiful sis, Happy Birthday."

"Thank you Bri. I've missed you." I gave him another hug and he nodded wiping the tears from his eyes. I then turned to hug Leighanne. Her cheeks were moist with tears and I could barely contain my own as I told her I'd missed her too.

Howie, Leigh and AJ were next. I had never expected them all to be there and it was definitely a pleasant surprise. AJ took me in his arms and kissed my cheek. "Heya sexy birthday girl," he crooned as he wrapped his arms around me. I laughed, he was still the same AJ I knew and loved.

I could tell Howie was trying hard not to cry when I got to him. I wiped a tear from his cheek and dabbed my own with a clean napkin. "We're a mess," I said as I smiled and hugged him tightly.

When I was done greeting all of the guys I hugged the others who had joined the party. Kevin and Kristin were there with baby Mason, along with my mom and dad and my brother Harold with his wife and my nieces. Kevin's mother was there and his brother Jerald and of course Kelly and Joey. We all sat down at the table and spent the rest of the evening catching up on life.

I had to admit the night was wonderful. I ate a huge meal and even felt good enough for dessert. I enjoyed seeing all of my family and friends and after dreading it all day long... I didn't want it to end. When everyone had finished eating and it was time to leave I hugged them each goodbye and thanked them for coming.

AJ, Howie and Leigh would be leaving the next day to head back to LA so I spent a few extra minutes with each of them making sure they knew how thankful I was and how much I loved them. Brian and Leighanne would be staying with Kevin for a few more days so we made plans to get together before they all headed out to put the little ones to bed.

Nick and I walked back out to the car together. It was freezing outside and he took his coat off and wrapped it around my shoulders.

"Did you have fun?" he asked as he leaned down and kissed me on the top of my head.

"You know what? I really did," I answered him as he opened my car door and I climbed inside, "Thank you Nick."

I knew there was a good possibility that this would be the last birthday I would ever get to celebrate and I hated to even think about it. I sat in the car and watched the scenery go by as we headed home. I thought about the day's events and how wonderful my 26th birthday had turned out to be.

I glanced over at Nick who looked back at me and smiled. I honestly could not have thought of a better way to spend it.