- Text Size +
It was evening again by the time they returned home from the hospital. Nick pulled into the driveway and waved his hand for Aaron to come down off the porch where he'd been waiting and help him out. Aaron hurried to the passenger side of the car and opened the door as Nick came around from the driver's side. They stood on either side of Grace and lifted her gently from the seat. Aaron grabbed the bags from the trunk and followed Nick as he guided her carefully up the walk and into the house.

Nick helped her to the couch and covered her with a blanket before flipping on the television and handing her the remote control.

"It's a Wonderful Life should be on right now, I know that's your favorite movie." He smiled at her and smoothed his hand over her wrinkled forehead as she nodded in response. She still felt so hot and she looked so miserable. The doctors at the hospital had explained that Grace had sores lining her mouth, throat and stomach that were caused by the chemo and that likely, all of the vomiting had caused them to bleed. They'd given her a morphine mouthwash along with a hefty dose of morphine, that hopefully would help with some of the pain, but Nick could tell that she still felt like hell.

He went into the hall bathroom and ran a washcloth under some cool water returning to the living room and laying it carefully on her forehead. Aaron had taken a seat at the end of the couch with Kahlua and was gently removing her shoes. Nick winked at his little brother and ruffled his hair as he walked by into the kitchen.

"You're going to make some girl very happy someday," he said smiling down at him.

"I hope so."

Aaron stood up from the couch and followed Nick into the kitchen where they found Angel standing over the stove, her hair up in a ponytail wearing a cooking apron and scooping lasagna noodles from a pot of boiling water.

"Geez, it smells incredible in here Angel!" Nick said going over to the stove and peering down into another pot that was filled with a delicious looking sauce.

"It does!" Aaron stated agreeing with Nick.

"What're you making?"

"I thought I'd make lasagna," She replied as she gently pushed Nick out of the way, "Now you guys get out of the kitchen so I can cook."

The two of them beat a hasty retreat out of the kitchen and back into living room laughing at their sister's assertivness in the kitchen as they ran. Nick put his finger to his lips as his eyes came to rest on the figure the couch. She'd fallen asleep again, Kahlua nestled in her arms. Nick teared up at the sight. He couldn't help but notice the stark difference in his fiance. Instead of looking peaceful like she usually did when she was sleeping, she looked like she was in pain.

Nick sighed and motioned for Aaron to sit in his recliner across the room as he took a seat on the end of the couch next to Gracie. Kahlua perked up her ears and stood to stretch before coming over and curling up in his lap licking his fingers as she settled in.

"Thanks girl," He said rubbing her tummy, "I needed that."

He tossed the remote over to Aaron and told him to change the channel. He was not at all in the mood to watch a movie called It's a Wonderful Life, especially when at this exact moment life felt like anything but. Aaron flipped on The Office and the two of them sat there watching in silence, letting out an occasional chuckle over a Dwight one liner or a Jim joke, for a long while until Angel came out to let them know that dinner was ready.

"Do you want to eat out here?" She asked sticking her head back through the kitchen door.

Nick shook his head looking over to where Grace still slept beside him. "I doubt she could handle the smell of the food. We'd better just eat in the dining room."

Aaron nodded in agreement and rose to join Nick and Angel in the kitchen.

"I'll grab the lasagna out of the oven if you'll grab the bread and the drinks," Angel directed, looking over towards Nick who jumped into action pulling three sodas from the pantry and removing the loaf of garlic bread from the oven. Aaron grabbed the stack of plates and silverware and the three of them walked out to the dining room together.

The meal was the best Nick had tasted in a long while. He'd gotten used to eating microwave meals and hospital food, so to have something genuinely homemade felt good. He looked over at Angel and smiled, "This is delicious, where'd you learn to cook?"

"BJ actually," she responded refering to her older sister. "She taught me a few recipes while I was staying with her last summer."

"Well remind me to call her up and thank her!" Aaron said emphatically as he shoveled another forkful of the pasta into his mouth and gave her the 'thumbs up' sign.

It was getting late by the time they'd finished eating and Nick was exhausted. He hadn't gotten any sleep the night before and it was catching up with him now. He stood from the table and gathered the dishes following Angel back into the kitchen and dumping them all in the sink.

"Thank you for dinner sis," he smiled as he hugged her tightly. She hugged him back and he could sense by the way she relaxed in his arms that she too was exhausted.

"It was my pleasure. If you guys don't mind I think I'm going to go ahead and hit the sack." Nick nodded at her and she left the kitchen quietly giving Aaron a hug on the way out.

Nick walked over to the sink full of dishes and turned on the hot water. As he stood there rinsing the leftover sauce and noodles from the bowls and plates before him, the events of the day started sinking in. He could feel the tears running down his cheeks and he grabbed for the dishtowel hanging on the cabinet above his head and wiped them dry. He could sense Aaron standing behind him but he didn't turn around.

He didn't want his only brother to see him crying.

"Nick..." he heard Aaron's voice call out.

"Yeah man?" He responded, trying hard to choke back a sob as he felt Aaron's arm fall around his shoulder.

"Go get some sleep... I'll finish the dishes."

"Thank you," he said as he turned and gave Aaron a quick hug. "Happy Thanksgiving little dude."

"Happy Thanksgiving Nick."

He wiped his eyes again, this time with the back of his hand and walked out to the living room to find Grace sitting on the couch sipping water. She looked up at him and tried her best to smile. He hopped over the back of the couch and came to rest in the seat beside her. He took her in his arms and kissed her cheek gently.

"You really scared me today baby," he sniffled as the tears poured steadily down his cheeks now.

She looked at him and gently caressed his face with her fingertips. "I know sweetheart... I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault Grace. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm sorry you HAVE to go through this. Are you feeling any better? Want anything to eat or drink?"

She shook her head. He could tell she was still feeling pretty crappy. He pulled her close to him and leaned back into the couch with her. She closed her eyes and leaned her head against his chest, within minutes she was snoring softly. He sighed and reached down to cover her with the blanket. This had definitely not been the Thanksgiving he'd planned.

He watched her sleeping there in his arms and once again the days events came rushing back to him. He'd never been as scared as he was in the back of that ambulance. She was laying on the stretcher, he was holding her hand and she was lifeless. The paramedics had pumped her full of IV fluids worried that she was too dehydrated. All he could do was sit there and watch. There'd been many times throughout this experience when he'd worried that he would lose her.

This though... this was the first time he'd been sure of it.