- Text Size +
Nick stood by the window watching the planes take off. The past week had been both amazing and heartbreaking for him. Brian and Leighanne had stayed with them for Christmas and while he'd really enjoyed having a child in the house for the holidays, it had made him think about all the things he'd be missing out on knowing they wouldn't be able to having children of their own. December 20th would have been the due date for the baby they had lost and though he hadn't mentioned it to Grace, it was something he thought of often.

He often wondered whether their child would have been a boy or a girl, he wondered what he or she would have looked like and what it would have been like to have a new baby in the house. He had tried his best not to think about it but it had proven a difficult task. Now he had so much more on his mind and these were good things. He and Grace were getting married in two days.

They had flown out of Louisville the day before and arrived in California late that night. They'd enjoyed a pleasant evening with Howie and Leigh and had gone to bed early so that they would be ready for their flight today. Howie, AJ, and Leigh were flying out with them to Hawaii that day, Kelly and Joey were already there getting things together and the rest of the family; Brian, Leighanne and Baylee, Kevin, Kristin and Mason, Harold, her parents, his parents, Aaron, Angel, BJ and Leslie were all meeting them there that night and the next day.

Nick stared out the window again. It was hard not to think about the last time they'd been in this airport. Grace had been so sick and they were preparing to fly back to Kentucky with her. They hadn't known it at the time but their lives were about to be drastically changed. He looked over at Grace who was standing next to him staring out the same window and wondered if she was thinking about the same thing. He squeezed her hand gently and she squeezed his back. She turned and winked at him and he leaned over to kiss her cheek.

At that moment AJ, who had just arrived at the airport, walked up and hugged Nick from behind. Nick turned around quickly, shaken from his thoughts and hugged him back.

"Hey Aje!"

"Hey dude, dudette!" AJ said excitedly, "You two ready for your big day?"

Nick smiled and nodded anxiously a goofy grin planted firmly on his face. Grace gave him the thumbs up and announced rather dramatically, "I've BEEN ready!"

Just then the attendant came over the loudspeaker and announced that it was time for them to board their flight. Nick took Grace's hand in his and together they walked off in the direction of the plane. AJ turned towards where Howie and Leigh stood a few feet away and smiled as he watched them walk hand in hand towards their destination.

"Damn those two sure are meant for each other."

Leigh and Howie nodded and smiled.

"They definitely are." Leigh agreed.