- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I'm back with another chapter and it didn't even take me months this time! YAY!! I think there's only one chapter left of this one so i'll try to get it out before the end of May. I promise. Thanks for reading! :O)

 

 

Friendship is a sheltering tree.  ~Samuel Taylor Coleridge 

14 

 

Climbing up the Mountain  

 

After our thoroughly enjoyable breakfast, we put on our hiking gear and started for the big mountain. Ever since I asked Nick out on this camping trip, I’ve been looking forward to going on this hike. Nothing is better than conquering a huge hill, standing at the top and taking in the sounds and smells of nature. God had intended everyone to live like this but sadly, most of us choose to ignore all the beauty that he has created all around us.

 

We take everything for granted.

 

Tying up the last lace of my boots, I glanced over at AJ who was still grumbling under his breath about the fish. I shook my head at him as he rubbed his stomach. The guy was such a drama queen. Let’s put that on the list of things that Kevin did not miss about being a Backstreet Boy.

 

“I hope you have better shoes to wear AJ because you are going to get some huge ass blisters if all you have are those things.” I couldn’t help it. I had to say something. Believe me, I tried my hardest to ignore the flip flops, but I wasn’t about to listen to his rants on how much his feet hurt for the next three hours or so.

 

“Rok said I can borrow a pair of his boots. He’s getting them now.” 

 

“Good.”

 

Brian walked out carrying an extra pair of shoes and handed them over to AJ. “I knew you wouldn’t be prepared for this, so I came prepared for the both of us.”

 

“And that’s one of the many reasons why I love you Rok! Don’t worry, we won’t tell your wife.”

 

“Your feet are so freakishly small I bet those are his wife’s.” Nick joked as he sat on a rock and played with his stick. You’d think the boy was part dog the way he was always entranced with sticks.

 

AJ ignored Nick and groaned as he tried to get his feet into Brian’s boots. “I am telling you guys, I think maybe it would be best for all of you if I stayed here while you did the hiking thing.”

 

“No way Bone…”

 

“Jizzle!”

 

“Whoever…if I am going hiking so are you!” Nick looked over at me and rolled his eyes, silently showing his disgust that anyone be so immature. I tried my best not to laugh, but I couldn’t help it. I smirked. This would have been Nick a few years ago. Hell, this would have been Nick last week. AJ just beat him to the punch.

 

“I don’t know why anyone would think this is fun.”

 

“AJ, its good exercise and it’s always a nice thing to become one with your surroundings, now are we almost ready to go?” I lectured, God, why do I always have to lecture?

 

“Why the rush? It’s not like nature has a hot date or anything.”

 

“Because the longer we wait, the harder it’s going to get. Lot’s of people will be on the trail and we don’t want to run into any rabid fans, right?”

 

“I don’t see our fans as being the hiking types, Kevin.”

 

“Don’t underestimate your fans AJ. Haven’t you seen the way they run after you guys?”

 

“You know, you can still include yourself in us Kevin.”

 

I glanced over at my cousin, “What do you mean?”

 

“You said ‘our’ fans, but they are ‘your’ fans as well. You excluded yourself.”

 

I hadn’t even realized I did that. “Okay, well our fans then….happy?”

 

Brian smiled wide at me, “Ecstatic.”

 

“Just for the record, I’m not a part of ‘you’ anymore. That’s what quitting is all about.” I really think that sometimes they forgot that. They act as if I’m still in the band, which I guess I do secretly enjoy. It doesn’t make it any easier on me though. “Are we ready to get this show on the road then?” I asked once again looking over at AJ as he stood up and wiggled his ankles around like Pinocchio.

 

“Let’s do this thing!” He answered as he jumped ahead of us to lead us on our way, which was kind of funny considering he had no idea where he was going. Why do I hang out with these people again?

 

The hiking trail I picked was one known for its beautiful views as we got higher up which meant it was kind of a rough climb. What can I say? Beauty is a hard hunter. “Did everyone bring water with them?”

 

“I have a few bottles on hand.” Brian was quick to answer.

 

“What about you Nickolas?”

 

“I have some water and some more juice boxes and even some candy if anyone needs it.”

 

“AJ?”

 

“I’m all set Kevin.”

 

I nodded at them all as we started towards the trail. It would take us about 90 minutes each way with a nice significant rest once we hit the top. This was the prefect way to end a camping trip. My family always ended our outings with a hike. It’s the best way to bond, in my opinion anyway. “Have you had a good time out here?” I was startled out of my thoughts by my cousin who decided to catch up to me. I hadn’t realized that I already picked up my pace to leave everyone else behind. Blame the overly long legs.

 

“Yup, I’ve had a lot of fun.”

 

“Nick seems to have enjoyed himself as well. He told me he wished we could all stay longer.”

 

“I wish you could to, but unfortunately real life beckons and I miss my family.” I confessed.

 

“Now you know how I always felt.” I nodded at him. He was right. We always gave him a hard time when he’d whine about missing Leighanne and Baylee. “Things change when you have a family. They won’t get it until it happens to them. I know I didn’t get it either.”

 

“Life does get more complicated, doesn’t it?” I asked rhetorically.

 

“I was thinking maybe on our next extended hiatus, we could do this again but with just you guys and us? A nice little family camping trip, what do you say?”

 

“I think that would be fun, do you think Harold would be up for it?”

 

“What’s going on? I feel like I’m missing out on all the fun.” I knew it wouldn’t be long before Nick made his presence known. He hated when anyone took his ‘Kevin’ time away from him. I know it sounds egotistical of me to say, but it’s the truth.

 

“Maybe, we could always ask him.” Brian answered as he shook his head.

 

“Ask who? Me? Ask me what?”  We both laughed, Nick was so much like a child.

 

“Believe it or not Nicky Gene, but not everything is about you. I know it’s hard to grasp that concept, but it’s true, I’m afraid.” Brian said very sarcastically.

 

“Well if that’s really true, than I feel sorry for everyone who isn’t talking about me always because I think we all know I’m truly awesome.” He couldn’t even get through the sentence without cracking himself up, “I’m just playin’…so how much further are we going Kevin?”

 

“It’s a hike, Nick. We just started. Please don’t tell me you’re tired already.”

 

“Relax home slice, it was just a question.”

 

“It’s going to take at least 90 minutes to get to the top of the mountain.”

 

He nodded at me and smiled, “Sounds like fun.”

 

“Did he say 90 minutes?” I heard from behind me.

 

“I did say 90 minutes, which should be a piece of cake for you.” I decided to stop for a minute and let him catch up to us. He was beginning to worry me. This was how the old AJ was. The one who was always so high and drugged up he never wanted to do much of anything besides sleep. “Are you getting sick or something?” I asked him when he finally ended up by my side.

 

“No, just not in the walking mood, that’s all.”

 

“Are you sure everything’s alright?” I didn’t want to seem like I was being too pushy or overbearing. Overbearing didn’t always work with AJ. I found as they were growing up, Nick and AJ needed different types of parenting skills so to speak. With Nick, it was more discipline and harsh daddy type. When it came to AJ, he needed a more subtle and softer hand. Being honest and forthright usually worked best with him. I was always able to get the best results from him when I would ask him flat out, “What did you do and how can I fix it?”

 

He nodded at me, “Everything’s peachy.”

 

The only time that wasn’t true was when he was doing his drugs. By the time I figured out how deep over his head he was, it was already too late. He had become a master of lying and deception at that point. I had my suspicions but I never acted on them, until he asked me to do coke with him one night. I think he was already so stoned at that point he hadn’t even realized he made that offer.

 

“Because you know if things aren’t, you can talk to me, right? I mean even though I’m not around you twenty four seven anymore doesn’t mean you can’t call me…anytime.”

 

He glanced over at me and smiled. His eyes didn’t look red to me and he didn’t even really look all that tired. I couldn’t help but feel a little relieved at that. Maybe I was just jumping to conclusions.  I mean it’s not like AJ has ever been a fan of physical activity, even when he was in the best shape of his life and going to the gym, he always did so reluctantly.

 

“I know that thanks, Kevin.”

 

“Anytime buddy.” I reached over and pat his back.

 

“Hey guys, stop here for a second.” Nick said as he threw down his backpack and knelt beside it.

 

“Why are we stopping?” I asked him, looking at my watch.  

 

“I wanted to get this out!” He said, grabbing for his camcorder and aiming it directly at me. “I can’t believe I forgot I brought this thing until now!”

 

“Oh lord, here we go again! Would you put that thing away!” Brian said putting his hands up to his face as Nick got mere inches away from it. “You are even worse than Kevin was when he always carried around his. Do you remember how annoying you were with that Kev?”

 

“I didn’t think it was annoying at all. I never saw any of you complaining when we’d go back to the hotel and relive some of those moments. Remember that Swedish strip club?”

 

“We watched that one over and over again.” Nick said with a huge smile playing out on his face.

 

“And then over and over again after watching it over and over again…again.” AJ added redundantly.

 

“Yeah, I got a lot of hell for that one.” Brian said as he shook his head.

 

“Serves you right for coming with us.” Nick said, “But tell us the truth Brian…you’d do it again if you had the chance wouldn’t you?” He asked once again sticking the camera in Brian’s face.

 

“I plead the fifth!”

 

When Nick grew bored of his mocking of Brian, he moved on, “I wanted to document some of our time up here for Howie, you know, so he doesn’t feel totally left out….so say hi Howie!” He panned back to the three of us as we all waved to the camera.

 

“Hi Howie!” We all said on cue.

 

“We miss you D and have been thinking about you. You have missed out on a lot of fun stuff but lucky for you all we’re doing is hiking up a mountain today.”

 

“Enough with the bitching about that!” I growled at Nick who winked at me in return.

 

“See Howie? I still know how to get under Kevin’s skin heehee!” He said with such pride that I smacked him upside the head while my fellow band mates cheered me on…I mean my ex fellow band mates. Now they are making me all confused! “Hey! He hit me!! Howie, Kevin just hit me, did you see that?”

 

I looked right into the camera without a smile on my face, “Howie, I wish you were here to rescue me from this madness. I need to be around another adult!”

 

“Oh please, he’s as juvenile as the rest of us. He’s probably worse.”

 

“I find that hard to believe Nick.”

 

“Of course you do because he’s stealth! Remember? Stealth D!”

 

I shook my head at Nick, “We’re thinking about you man. Hope to see you soon. Now Nick is going to put his camcorder away so we can continue up the mountain.”

 

“Climbing up the mountain children…” Brian began to sing from just behind where Nick was standing.

 

“You’re not the boss of me you know. Kevin’s not my boss Howie.”

 

I pointed over at the blonde, “NOW!”

 

“Gotta go!” Brian said as he sung into the recorder while Nick turned it off and placed it back into his bag.

 

“You know I can film and walk at the same time.” He protested as we once again started our walk along the trail. “I’ve become a pretty good multitasker.”

 

“I don’t deny that, but I don’t want you falling to your death off of any mountains either because that would kind of suck the fun out of this entire trip.”

 

“Depends on who you ask.” AJ was quick to add before running past the two of us as Nick swiped at him.

 

As Nick took off in a slow jog after AJ I just stood back for a minute and watched. I wanted to bring my camcorder on this trip. I even came as close as putting it in my bag before rethinking it out and leaving it at home. Now I wish I had brought it with me.

 

When I knew I was going to leave BSB, I made sure I had that thing with me at all times because in my heart I knew there would come a time when I’d want to be nostalgic and look back on everything we had been through together. Just like I had predicted, the first month of my unemployed life I did just that. Sat up till all hours of the night and watched some of those home movies. Laughed a lot, cried a little but most importantly, had no regrets that I had done the right thing.

 

The reason I left the camera at home was because I was done reflecting on the past. It’s too easy to focus your energy on way back when. Still, it would have been nice to have. Maybe I can borrow Nick’s.

 

“Kevin are you coming or what? Time’s a wasting and Mother Nature doesn’t have all day…apparently.” Nick said as he folded his arms in front of him.

 

“You better hope I don’t catch up to you!” I said right as I darted towards Nick. He let out the girliest scream I have ever heard making me once again regret not having my camcorder on me and making him put his away!