- Text Size +
Nick’s PoV

Everyone came in one at a time to say hi to me, I had Brian stay with me though. He was the closest thing I had with me. He had called my family to let them know but made sure that they wouldn’t come down to see me. I would be staying with Brian’s parents until Hailey was out of the hospital. She got out of surgery fine and the doctors were waiting for her to wake up.


“Nick Carter do you have a moment?” A police officer came in. “I need to take your statement and ask you about something.”

“Sure. Brian why don’t you go get some coffee.” Brian nodded his head towards the officer and left the room.

“Can you tell me what has been going on with the letters and phone calls first?” He opened up his pad of paper and began writing down what I told him. I told him about the hotel and having to switch, to the text messages, from Hailey giving her phone to the cops already and the last thing I saw before the light came on top of me.

“Do you have reason to believe that the same person who has been stalking me is the person who is responsible for the light coming down?”

“Yes, there was a note attached to it.”

“What did it say?” I sat up a little more.

“It said, ‘Hailey, I told you so.’”

“That’s it?” The officer nodded his head writing down something else in his pad. “So it was intentional for her.”

“We believe so. Thank you Mr. Carter. We’ll be in touch.” He left and Brian came in.

“We all had to do that.” He said taking a sip from his coffee. “Hailey is awake the doctor told me.”

“I need to see her Brian.”

“I know, tomorrow the doctor said.”

“Will you go see her?”

“Of course. He said in a few minutes they were doing some tests.”

“This sucks.” I threw my head back onto the pillow. “Ow.” I rubbed my head.

“You did have a concussion ya know.” Brian shook his head and laughed.

“Where are the others?”

“They went back to the hotel. It’s just me. We’re trying to keep the press away. It’s working so far.”
*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~Hailey’s POV*~*~*~*~~*~*~*

I opened my eyes to the constant beeping sounds. I tried move but my body felt heavy. I had straps hooked up to me and IV’s in my arm. My leg was up in a sling in huge brace. My head pounded and chest burned.
“Good to see you awake Hailey. On a scale of one through ten, ten being the worse, what’s your pain?”
“Thirteen.” I mumbled. The nurse laughed a little and pushed a button on my IV.
“Here is a little more morphine. Your friends are all worried about you ya know.”

“Nick?” I managed to get out.

“He’s going to be fine I hear.” Fine? Did something happen to him? I wondered and the nurse began speaking again. “Are you ready for a visitor?” I nodded my head and she left the room for a minute. Brian came in and up to my bed.

“Hey you.” He kissed my forehead and squeezed my hand. “How are you feeling?”

“High.” Brian laughed.

“That’s the morphine. The doctor says you’ll be good in a few days. You won’t be walking for a bit but you’ll be okay.”

“Brian, Nick?” I whispered weakly. Brian told me about what happened, how I fell, and how Nick was hurt. My emotions got the best of me and the tears started to come.

“It’s okay baby girl. We’re getting a handle on everything. Nick can come see you tomorrow. You need to get some rest; they’ll be kicking me out soon.” Brian stood up and kissed my cheek. “Is there anyone I can call? Mom, Dad, brother, sister?”

“Nathan, my brother.”

“What’s his number sweetie?” Brian took out his cell phone. I gave him two numbers to be reached. His and his girlfriends numbers. “Okay, I’ll call them and see what they want to do. Get some rest.”

“Brian?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you. And tell Nick I love him.”

“I’ll let you tell him tomorrow. And I love you too girl.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*The Next Day~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~

I woke up to nurses checking my stats and a dull pain in my chest. I looked at the clock on the wall. Nine am. The events of last night flooded my mind; I wanted nothing more than to be with Nick. I’d be able to see him today, I told myslef and I fell back to sleep.

Nick’s POV
“Okay Nick, you’re going to be sore but you can go home today after you see Hailey. You won’t be able to get up on crutches for a week, and then its physical therapy for you. Broken legs heel but we have to be careful with your hip. I’ll send in a wheel chair for you to take with you.”

“Thank you Doctor,” I shook his hand.

“Well, that’s good news see Nick.” Brian said. A nurse came in with a wheel chair. She put it close to my bed.

“Okay sir, I’ll bring your leg over and your friend can help you over. Use the chair’s arms to help.” I nodded my head, put an arm around Brian’s neck, while the nurse took my left leg in her arms and over to the chair.

“Ahh, geeze,” I let out a deep breath and dropped my head backwards.

“You alright buddy?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, just take me to Hails.” Brian thanked the nurse, put my bag over his shoulder and pushed me out of the room. “I want to get her some flowers.” Brian took me to the gift shop where I picked out a teddy bear and a bouquet of daisies.
“They moved her out of ICU today. She’s in a normal room.”

“Have you seen her yet?”

“No not yet.” We went into the elevator and up two floors. I didn’t realize I was this far away from her and it pained me more to know that she’s been alone. We got to her room; Brian opened the door and pushed me up to her bed backwards so I could be closer.

“She looks like a child.”

“She’s strong Nick. I’ll give you a few before I come back.” I nodded my head and warm tears fell down my cheeks. I took her hand in mine; she was pale and didn’t look alive. Her sparkling blue eyes were closed; her hair fell around her like a halo.

“Baby, I’m so sorry.” I kissed her palm. I heard a soft moan come from her lips and she moved her head a little. “Hailey it’s me.”

“Nick?” her eyes opened a little.

“I’m here.” Her eyes were fully opened and she was looking at me. “Hi beautiful.” I watched her struggle to sit up. “No, stay still. I know it hurts.” She didn’t listen but sat up, wincing in pain and pulling me in for a hug. She started crying.

“I was so scared. Brian told me you were okay but I didn’t believe him, I needed to see you. I’m so sorry Nick, it’s my fault. This is my entire fault.”

“Shh, that’s not true at all.” I pulled her back a little and kissed her lips.

“Nick, I love you.” Her eyes pools of tears. I pulled her back into me.

“I love you.” I saw her struggling to breathe a little and had her lie back down. “Hales I need to know something.”

“Yes?” She answered meekly.

“You came in mal-nourished honey. I need to know—” Her face turned towards the wall and away from me. “I’m not going to be mad; I just need to be able to help you.”

“Nick I’m fine.”

“Your heart gave out.”

“That happens if you have murmurs.”

“When did you eat last?” She sighed and looked back at me. “The first night at Brian’s?”

“Well, I ate a little of the other dinners but…” her voice trailed off.

“But what?”

“I made myself sick so you wouldn’t know.” More tears dropped down. I ran my thumb over her cheek. “I couldn’t work out because of my knee, I freaked. I’m sorry.”

“The day at the waterfall…you were light headed weren’t you?” She nodded her head. “I’m going to get you the help you need. You can’t keep killing yourself like this.”

“NO. I’m fine. As soon as I get out of the hospital, I’ll take better care of myself.”

“You won’t be able to work out for at least two months Hailey, not with your heart now and your knee.”

“That’s okay; I’ll be okay with it!” I shook my head and looked down. “NICK NO, I do NOT need any help!” Her heart monitor started speeding up. Brian came in.

“What’s going on? I heard her yell.”

“You’re going to end up like Kara is that what you want?” The words shot out of my mouth before I could stop them. I regretted it in an instant. It wasn’t fair to her, she already blamed herself for her best friends death.

“Brian make him go.” Her words hurt but I knew she was upset.

“Hailey you don’t—”

“PLEASE!” she was crying pretty hysterical now and coughing.

“Come on slow down your breathing,” Brian tried to calm her down. A nurse came in and started playing with the machines.

“I’m sorry but you need to leave.” She told the both of us. The nurse slipped an oxygen mask over her face and had her bed put all the way down. I wanted to be there for her, to hold her. Brian pushed me out.

“What happened?” He put my wheel chair breaks on and sat down in a chair. I told him about the conversation. “Well, maybe she will be okay after this. Maybe it was a wake up call.”

“I don’t know Bri.”

“Give her a chance. Come on, let me take you home. I’ll come back out later today. I have my Dad waiting in the car out front.” Brian pushed me out to the car.

“Hey there Nick. Jackie has downstairs all made up for you, so its easy to move around. We’re going to take care of you until you can get back to your feet. And when Hailey is ready, she’s more than welcome to stay too.”

“Thank you.” I mumbled out and Brian put my stuff into the trunk.

“Alright, here comes the hard part. Let’s get your legs in first in the back and kind of slide you in?” Brian asked trying to figure out the best way to stuff me into the car. Harold had me reach my arms up and put them around his neck, while Brian lifted my lower half into the car. Not going to lie, it hurt like hell. My hip was in a lot of pain, and it’s not like they can cast your hip. I knew that this was going to get old and fast.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Hailey’s PoV

A week had past since the incident at the concert. The guys’ canceled/postponed their concert until further notice. Almost everyone went back to their homes. Brian came to see me every since I’ve been here, Nick hasn’t been back. I guess it’s been hard for Nick to move around too much with a broken leg and fractured hip. It hurts he doesn’t come to the hospital, but when I don’t know how things would be since the last time we were together. He said some hurtful things, some things I can’t forgive just yet. I’m not one to hold onto grudges but this was different.

I’ve talked to my brother a few times over the phone. I told him that I wouldn’t be able to travel for another week and had a place to stay. I’d be staying with him and his girlfriend back home in South Carolina until I could take care of myself.

There haven’t been any more incidents regarding the stalker. The police had no leads and said unless anything else turns up, they probably wouldn’t be able to catch the person.

“Hello there Hailey how are we feeling today?” Doctor Green came asked coming into my room with my chart in his hand. He listened to my heart and checked my blood pressure.

“Better thanks.”

“Well, I have some good news and some bad.” I raised an eye brow.

“Bad news first please.”

“Bad news is, Mister Tucker next to you is going to miss having you as a roommate.” I looked next to me. Mr. Tucker was an eighty year old man who had his gall bladder removed four days ago and had been staying in my room. “The good news is you can go home today. I called for a ride and they should be here shortly. Now, you’ll have to be on your prescription for another few months to make sure your heart stays strong. I’ve given you two because the nurses have told me you’ve been having night mares. The other one will just help you go to sleep a little easier and keep you asleep. Take it about a half hour before bed. You’ll find yourself feeling short of breath and that’s totally normal. I’m sending home an oxygen tank and mask and you can use it as needed.” I nodded my head and sat up a little in my bed.

“Showering?” I asked almost bagging.

“Of course, your stitches have been in long enough they can get wet now. You’ll need to make sure you keep your moving around limited but you should move around a little each day and a little more than the day before each day. You’ll be on crutches for a few weeks until your knee is strong enough. I understand you’ve had plenty of experience with that before.”

“Too much.”

“I’d like to see you in about a week. If you have any concerns though please do not hesitate to call my office or come back to the hospital. I’ve already faxed over all your records to your doctor at home and you can set up appointments when you get there. Do you have any questions?”

“No, thank you very much Doctor.” I shook his hand.

“Rest and get well soon! I’ll send in a nurse to help you dress and fit you for crutches.” I smiled to him as he exited and a nurse entered. About a half hour later Brian came into the room.

“Quick lets go before they change their mind!” Brian called running up to my bed with his knees up. I laughed.

“Seriously.”

“Do we need to do anything?”

“Nope that pile of stuff is mine on that chair and I’m ready to go.”

“Alrighty then. Do you need a wheel chair?” I pointed to the crutches that were leaning against the wall. “Ahh.” He brought them over to me. “Okay, I’ve been there with this, well without the knee part but it’s going to feel like a rush and a lot of work. Don’t get frustrated and go a slow as you need.” He was being sincere and serious. I didn’t like it but had to trust him. His arm went around my waist and helped me stand up onto my left leg. I placed the crutches under my arms and took in a deep breath and let it out.

“Let’s rock and roll.” I winked and started for the door. Brian got my bag, including the oxygen tank. He stayed by my side and I found myself getting tired before even making it out of the hospital. I stopped and hunched over the crutches.

“That’s fine we’ll go when you’re ready,” he rubbed my back and I started up again. I eventually made it to the front door and went out to Brian’s car. He had his Mom’s explorer and put my things in the back seat. He opened my door; put the crutches in the back also.

“Brian I don’t think I can pull myself up,” I looked into the car. He put my arms around his neck, his arms around my waist and lifted me onto the seat. He helped get my leg in the car and shut the door.

“It sucks doesn’t it?” He asked starting the car and putting his seat belt on. “Getting that tired so fast. Each day will get a little better. Just let your body heel.”

“I’m just glad I’m not alone with this,” I laid my head back onto the seat. “How’s Nick today?”

“He’s alright; he should be getting home from physical therapy by the time we get home. Kevin took him. He misses you, ya know?”

“Could’ve fooled me.”

“He’s a blonde idiot, what can I say?”

“Watch it,” I said pointing to my hair. After a half hour drive we made it Brian’s farm.

“Are you sure your parents don’t mind me being here, I mean they have their hands full with Nick and he needs more attention than me. I can take care of myself.”

“Trust me they love this. It’s like they’re the ones getting the attention. You’re going to have some fall back points and get frustrated. You don’t want to be alone.”

When we pulled into the driveway, Brian’s Mom and Dad came out.

“Welcome home honey!” Jackie gave me a hug.

“Thank you so much for letting me stay for a week or so. It means a lot.”

“Oh our pleasure. Now, I’ll bring your things in, Nick’s in there waiting for you.”

“Good or bad day?” Brian asked helping me down.

“Kevin said it was a rough day. He’s very depressed; you know how easily he gets this way.” Brian nodded his head.

“He may be a total jerk, don’t let him get the best of you. Remember you need to worry about yourself right now and get better.” I headed for the door, I felt butterflies in my stomach and wanted to throw up. I got over the thresh and became light headed.

“Brian…” I closed my eyes.

“Its okay, go slow,” he had his arm around me.

“No, I feel like I’m going to pass out,” I leaned against him.

“Well, let’s not do that just yet,” he took my crutches and put them against a corner table and picked me up in his arms. We went into the living room and he laid me on the couch. “That’s probably all the moving around you need to do today, you did a good job.” He placed a pillow under my leg and covered me with a light blanket.

“Could I have some water please?”

“Sure thing, how about some lunch?”

“I feel sick to my stomach.”

“Okay just rest, I’ll go see where Nick is.” Brian walked into the kitchen and I closed my eyes briefly. “Hey Nick, Hailey is out there,” he got a glass down and got some water from the fridge.

“I know,” was all Nick said sitting at the table sipping a can of diet cola.

“You’re really not going to avoid her are you? You’re the one who was a jerk…”

“I know Bri, I just should be able to take care of her and I can’t take care of myself.”

“You’re moving around really well Nick. The doctor says you probably won’t be on the crutches much longer. You’ll be put into an air cast with your leg in another three weeks, your hip will continue to get strong. She needs you man, you know how I was with my heart surgery. It’s a frustrating time and painful.” Nick ran his hands through his hair. “I’ll bring the water out and you two can talk. She’s lying down right now.” Nick got up with his crutches and slowly went into the living room.

Ch. 24: Nick’s POV

I walked into living room and Brian handed Hailey the glass of water. She took it from him and drank thirstily.

“Bri do you think I can shower tonight?”

“We’ll see, you’ve done a lot already. Rest for a few hours and before you go to bed I’ll help you.” There was a sting in my heart when I heard him say that, it should be me helping her. Brian patted my shoulder and left the room. I sat down on the edge of her couch carefully and she looked up at me with her bright eyes.

“Hey,” she whispered softly.

“Hailey, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for the words I said, I got scared, it wasn’t the right time, and it never is when I say things.”

“It’s okay.”

“It’s not and I need you to trust me again,” I took her hand into mine. It seemed much smaller. She nodded her head and sat up all the way, I propped a pillow up behind her.

“I never stopped, I just, you, I was hurt,” she tilted her head down. I wanted to kick my own ass at that moment. I thumbed her cheek and her eyes looked into mine.

“I’m never going to hurt you again,” I leaned in and gave her a kiss. She smiled a little showing off her one dimple I loved and I kissed that. She yawned a little. “Take a nap, you’re going to be needing your rest, especially if you’re going to shower later because you STINK!” She punched me gently on the shoulder.
“I shouldn’t be too bad, I had a hot nurse give me a sponge bath,” she winked.

“Yeah well, he was probably gay.”

“Just the way I like them!” I turned on the TV and I sat in the recliner chair while she slept on the couch.

Hailey’s PoV

“You can run but you can’t hide girly. I warned you to stay away from Nick and now look at what you’ve done…HE’S DEAD.” A witch’s cackle came from this person in a dark hooded cloak. I couldn’t see her face. I turned my face and saw Nick’s lifeless body under the light that had fallen off stage. She was kneeling by him, stroking his hair.

“No, you get away! Nick, wake up, please you can’t die on me,” a pool of crimson blood began coming from under his body and soon covered me. “Nooooooooooo!”

“Hailey, Hale’s wake up, Brian!” Nick called who was back on the side of the couch.

“What’s going on?” Brian entered the room.

“She’s having a nightmare, she’s not breathing right,” Nick shook my shoulders.

“Hailey wake up,” Brian tried lifting my shoulders up a bit.

“Baby come on, I’m right here,” I heard Nick’s voice in my dream.

“Nick!” I yelled out and opened my eyes. My body was covered in sweat and my chest felt heavy.

“Shh, it was just a dream, calm down,” Nick lied me back on the pillow.

“I-I can’t breathe—” Brian had already left and come back with the oxygen tank. He turned the knob on and held the mask to my face.

“Nice, slow breaths. Just breathe.” Brian’s voice was soothing and calmed me down. Nick stood up with his crutches and walked out of the room. “There you go,” he took the blanket off of me. “Lets try to cool you off a little.” I nodded my head. After a few moments, I placed my hand on Brian’s that was still holding the mask to my face and pushed it off gently.

“Thank you.” I brought my hands up to my forehead. “Where did Nick go?”

“I’ll go check on him. Keep this on for a couple more minutes.” He put the mask over my face with the strap over my head. Brian walked off in the same direction Nick went. He found him in the sitting room where the piano was. “Nick?”

“How is she doing?”

“She’s fine.”

“She is not fine. Isn’t that obvious?”

“Why did you leave? She needed you.”

“Man don’t you see, it’s like going through it all again with you.” Brian sighed and nodded his head understanding where Nick was coming from. He took a seat next to Nick.

“Nicky but I’m fine, she’s going to be okay. I think the fact she knows I’ve been through this is helping her. The doctor’s wouldn’t have released her if they didn’t think that. I had to use the damn oxygen mask for months. I had it with me when we were on tour and still had breathed in it in between songs.”

“I had no warning with her, what if she had—”

“Don’t go down that path Nick. Myself, you and everyone else were a wreck for weeks before my surgery because we kept thinking it would be the last time we’d see each other. No go in there, find out what she was having a nightmare about and comfort her.” Brian helped Nick stand up and pulled him in for a hug. “You’ve been through a lot too and you need to talk to me before you lose it.” Nick went back to the living room.

“Hey you,” Nick sat by my side. I took off the mask

Nick’s POV:

“Nick hold me?” She asked weakly. I pushed the blankets onto the floor and pillows. She sat up and I got behind her so she could lay into me. She buried her face into my chest and I wrapped my arms around her. It felt right, it felt almost scary it felt so right.

“Tell me about the nightmare.”

“It was the night from the concert, I saw the person who did it, well, I couldn’t see his face. You-you were…” her voice trailed off and I pushed her away a little to see her face.

“It was only a bad dream, tell me,” I rubbed her back. “I was what?”

“Dead.” She put her face back into my chest and squeezed me.

“I’m not leaving you, it’s alright.” We lied there a little longer until we were both asleep.

I woke up an hour later to Hailey kissing my neck and cheeks.

“Hi,” she whispered.

“Hi,” I whispered back. “Sleep better?” I asked kissing her forehead. She nodded her head.

“Nick, I need to shower bad.”

“Alright, I’ll go see where everyone is.” I laughed and stood up on my good leg, I picked up the crutches that were lying on the ground and saw that everyone was outside on the patio.

“Hey Nick,” Harry said to me opening the door up.

“Hello hello, what’s going on?”

“We’re deciding what to do for dinner, hamburger and hots good?” Jackie asked.

“Yeah sounds good to me. I don’t think she eats red meat though. Maybe a turkey or veggie burger?”

“Alright, we’re going to run into town to the store. Do you need anything?” Harold asked all of us.

“No thanks Dad,” Brian answered.

“Where’s Kevin?” I asked.

“On the phone with the wife.”

“Speaking of wives…when’s the last time you talked to Leigh?”

“Earlier today, I’ve been trying to get her to come down with Bailey. It’s been months Nick since I’ve seen my boy.”

“I’m sorry man; you know you can go home whenever you want. I’ll be ready to fly as soon as she is.”

“I know there just seems to be something missing. Anyway did you need something?”

“Hailey won’t leave me alone about taking a shower. Which I guess I can’t blame her. Do you mind helping her; I’m still not great on the stairs with my hip?”

“I’m just worried if she can stand that long on one leg. It’s going to take a lot out of her,” Brian stood up and we went back inside. Hailey was sitting up right with both feet on the floor.

“I’m ready!” she laughed and reached out her hands.

“Alright alright. I’m carrying you up because by the time you get up stairs with your crutches, you’ll be dead.” Brian picked her up. “We’ll be down in like an hour,” Brian winked and kissed her cheek.

“Watch yourself!” I pointed at him.

Hailey’s POV

Brian brought me into the bathroom and sat me on the side of the tub.

“Your stuff is in my room but all your shower stuff is in there already. I put it in there earlier because I knew you’d want to shower. Here is the deal, I’m leaving the door unlocked and giving you no more than 15 minutes in there. If for any reason you’re short of breath turn the shower off, that’s my cue to come in. I’ll be right outside the door.”

“Yes dad,” I laughed. I began un-strapping my knee brace. It felt good when the air hit it. Brian put a towel on the side of the tub.

“Be careful.” He warned and closed the door and I started the water and took my clothes off. I put my hand in the water to make sure it was the right temperature and stood up on my left leg only. I washed my body with my lavender body wash and then shampooed my hair. “Five minutes.” Brian stuck his head in and yelled.

“Yes, sir!” I laughed and sat on the edge to shave my legs, they needed it bad. I had just finished up and turned off the water when there was a knock on the door.

“Time’s up.” I wrapped a towel around me and gave him the OK to come in. “Feel better?” He asked coming into the steaming bathroom.

“Much, thank you.” Brian picked up another towel and gently began drying my shoulders and legs. He then started to put my brace back on.

“Okay my lady, let’s get some clothes on.” I put my arms around his neck and he picked me up. “You’re shaking, are you cold?”

“No, just a little fatigue.”

“You need to eat. My parent’s are making hamburger and hot dogs. Nick said either a turkey burger or veggie for you?”

“Either or.” Brian sat me on his bed next to my suit case.

“Okay holler if you need me.” He left the room and I started going through my things. I just picked to put on a blue pair of shorts and a white tank top. I brushed my hair and put lotion over my body. Feeling drained I laid down. Five minutes later, Brian knocked on the door.

“Come in,” I called out.

“You—a little tired are we?” He laughed at sat next down to me.

“Uh-huh. My stitches itch.” I rubbed my chest.

“Because they’re wet, these ones are supposed to just come out when they’re ready.”

“Will I have a big scar?” I asked. He lifted his shirt up and showed me his. I ran my hand down the small white line in the center of his chest.

“Not too bad of one.” He smiled. I looked out the window.

“It’s nice out.”

“Do you want to go out?” I shook my head yes and Brian brought me downstairs into the kitchen where Nick was.

“How was your shower?” Nick asked cutting some vegetables. He was helping Jackie make dinner.

“Wonderful.” Brian handed me my crutches. “I’m going to go outside for a bit and see the world.” I stood up and went to the front door.

“Well, she looks to be doing a lot better,” Jackie smiled.

“Yeah,” Brian said as he watched me go outside. I went and sat down the porch swing.