- Text Size +
Hailey’s POV

“Are you sure you’re up for this Hales? You’re two weeks early of flying home. The doctor said—”

“The Doctor said that if I am up to it, then I can go home. I need to get home. I need to see my brother and you need to see your family.” I reached up and put my arms around him. Two weeks had gone by since I had been released from the hospital and Nick and I were in the airport ready to go our own ways. My knee was in a brace which allowed me to bend my knee and I was off the crutches. Nick however was still on them and would be for another month. His leg wasn’t heeling the way it should’ve been and had to actually have a new cast put on it.

“I know, I just don’t want to be apart from you.”

“In a couple weeks I’ll come to see you in California.” I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him.

“Now boarding, flight 237 to Charleston, South Carolina.” A voice came over some speakers.

“That’s me.”

“You have your oxygen with you?”

“Yes, I haven’t needed it in a week.” I smiled up at him.

“But the altitude could make it hard to breathe. I don’t like you flying by yourself.”

“Relax; I’ll call you as soon as I get off the plane.” He nodded his head and we hugged each other. “Are you okay with your leg and all?”

“Yeah, my flight boards in twenty minutes. Well, this is it. Have a safe trip home.” He kissed me again.

“Talk to you in a few hours,” I winked and grabbed my carry on bag and headed for the terminal. I didn’t like the fact Nick was flying by himself and here he was worried about me. I boarded the plane and took a seat. “Goodbye for now Kentucky.” I clicked my seatbelt, and waited for the plane to take off for the five hour flight.

Nick’s POV
My stomach was in knots watching her board the plane. I prayed to God last night and as she walked on that she would be alright with her heart. I was already to go with her to South Carolina but my sisters and Aaron wanted me home because they were tired of being worried. I couldn’t blame them. I crutched my way over to where my plane would be boarding.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ L.A. California*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I got off the plane and saw B.J. Leslie, Angel and Aaron all waiting for me. Aaron ran up to me first almost knocking me over, he started crying.

“Hey little bro.” I hugged him and my sisters all wrapped their arms around me.

“Nick we’re so glad you’re back,” B.J. told me taking the bag off my back. “Let’s go get your bags and go home. Aaron had his arm around me still as we went down to the baggage claim. I turned my phone back on when we got there waiting for the bags. I pressed four digits to my password and listened to my voice mail.

“Yo Nick, it’s A.J. give me a ring when you’re home, I’m in L.A. for a week with my girl. Love ya.”

“Hey Nick, it’s Brian…give me a call when you’re home. I’m at my house, call my cell though, Bailey is taking a nap.” He sounded weird I thought.

“Nicky, is me…Hailey. Did you forget about me already? Hehe, anyway I’m off the plane, my brother is here, we’re heading to the car and going home. I’m alive no worries. Miss you already, call me when you can. Mmuuah!” I couldn’t help but smile as I thought of her.

“Nick, Nick are you home yet? It’s Brian, give me a ring.”

“End of messages.” Aaron had already gotten my bag and they were staring at me.

“What?” I asked.

“Why the big smile?” Lessie asked.

“Nothing, just good to be home.”

“Nick’s in looove.” Aaron cooed and we started walking for the doors.

“Shut it. She’s just an amazing girl. I can’t wait for you to meet her.” I stopped walking because I had a sharp pain running up and down my leg. “Hey Beej, where is the car? Far?”

“Umm, not too far why?”

“I just, ahh—” I almost fell over in pain. Aaron and B.J. had their arms under me.

“Angel go get a wheel chair,” B.J. asked. “Nick, can you make it over to those chairs?” she asked me pointing over to chairs that were about a hundred yards away. I shook my head no. I didn’t even think I could stand much longer.

“Dammit Angel what’s taking you so long.” Aaron called looking around; Angel then appeared with a wheel chair and brought it behind me. I sat down wincing in pain.

“Nick, you’re sweating,” Leslie felt my forehead. I was.

“I’m fine, just a long day. I just need to be home.” B.J. pushed my chair out to the car and I got in the back of the Escalade.

“Glad to see you’re driving my cars.” I laughed stranding up with Aaron’s help.

“We thought it would be best for you to sit in.” Aaron told me.

“Probably not best to get in,” I held onto the overhead handle and pushed myself up.

“I’ll return the chair,” Aaron ran off back to the airport and ran back.

“All set,” he said getting in next to me. He put his arm around me like he was afraid to let go. I took my cell back out and decided to call Brian first since he called me twice.

“Hello?” he answered, his voice barely audible.

“Rok its Nick.”

“Hey, are you home?”

“Almost, I’m in the car. What’s up?”

“Leigh and I are getting a divorce.”

“What?! Why?”

“It just wasn’t working, I mean we’ve been trying to stay together for Bailey but it’s not there anymore. We’re both okay with it I guess. We’re going to have joint custody, live in the same area for Bailey so she can see whoever she wants. I’m going to give her pretty much half of everything….I just…”

He started crying and I felt terrible I couldn’t be there for my best friend. He had left last week to go back home because things were strained between the two of them then. “I’m so sorry Brian. If you need anything let me know.”

“Yeah, but hey I have to go, I’m taking Bailey to the park. I’ll give you a call later.”

“Alright man. Later.” I hung up and felt speechless but called Hailey back on her new cell and number I had gotten her.

“Hola, coma estas tu?”

“Hailey?”

“Just kidding, hi Nick! You made it?”

“Yes, are you home?”

“Well, at my brother’s. We’re just sitting around talking. How was your flight?”

“Good, no problems with you?”

“Well…”

“I knew it; I shouldn’t have let you go on your own.”

“Nick no, nothing like that. I was just going to say I sat next to this man who snored the entire time.”

“Don’t do that to me!”

“You did it to yourself. So how much do you miss me?”

“More than you’ll ever know. I want to see you now.”

“I know…but soon enough.”

“Alright well, I’ll give you a call later tonight.”

“Okay hon.”

“Bye for now.”

“Bye.”
~*~*~*~*~*~the Next Night*~*~*~*~*~

“NOOOO!” I sat up screaming, soaked again in sweat. “Damn,” I was breathing hard and looked over to the glowing clock on my night stand. “Three am…why can’t I have these right as I fall asleep or before I have to wake up?” I had only been home for two days but each night when I fell asleep I would wake up around this time having the same bad night mare. Even when I tried to take a nap I couldn’t sleep all the way through. This last one was a bad one, it felt different, it felt like it wasn’t over. It was just the beginning to whatever was going to happen.

I wrapped my arms around myself and hugged my knees to my chest. I contemplated for a moment and picked up my cell phone. I sent Nick a text message seeing if he were awake. A minute later my phone rang.

“Hey,” I whispered into the phone.

“Another one?” Nick’s sleepy but comforting voice spoke on the other line.

“I’m sorry…”

“No, shh, I’m glad you called. You have to know that you’re okay though and that this thing is over.”

“I don’t think it is Nick.”

“Did something happen?”

“Well, no but it’s just this feeling—”

“Exactly only a feeling. You’re safe, probably safer than if you were to be with me right now.” I suddenly missed Nick more than I had yet. “Are you alright?”

“Yeah.” I choked back a sob. “No, I don’t know? I hate being like this, this is not me.”

“You’ve been through a lot, with the tour, your knee, the accident, your heart. You need to concentrate on you right now. Are you being healthy?” By that I knew he was asking if whether or not I was eating.

“Yes. Are you?”

“Oh yeah, trust me my sisters watch me like a hawk.”

“Do you have your doctor’s appointment tomorrow for your leg?”

“Yeah, hopefully I can get into a walking cast. It’s so hot here with it on.”

“I know it sucks. But you get some rest and I’ll talk to you tomorrow?”

“Technically today. Call me though if you can’t get back to sleep.”

“I miss you.”

“Miss you too. Sleep tight.”

“Goodnight.” At that time I was awake and knew it would be awhile before I could fall back to sleep and I went downstairs to get a glass of water. I drank a whole glass and poured myself another one and walked over to the computer that was in the living room. I signed online and decided to check my mail; it had been a couple weeks.

“Hailey you’re the only crazy one up online this time of night.” I told myself as I scrolled down my buddy list.

“How the hell do I have over a hundred emails?” I scrolled down and noticed that I had about a dozen from the same email address I was not familiar with.
OnlyGrL4NGC@yahoo.com. I went through and deleted everything that I thought was spam or junk mail first and deleted it. I then clicked on the first email from the curious email address, it was sent the day after the accident.

Dear Hailey,

I have been nice and tried to warn you. Hell I almost killed you but was unsuccessful. Actually, the lights were supposed to just go off not even fall down, but hey that could’ve been a sign from God to tell you to watch your back too. I mean I am really not one kill a human being that seems more like your job.

Well, I am sure we will be in touch.

X

I had few emails that were blank and the fifth one I clicked on had something in it and it was sent the day before I got home.

Nick and I will end up together. Save yourself…

X

What did this person want? I’ve done nothing to anyone, I finally have found happiness and somewhat stability in my life and I get a crazy fan trying to kill me. I didn’t feel safe and worried for Nick’s own life. I let a single tear roll down my cheek. A tear for frustration, for fear, I didn’t know what I felt at that moment.

“Hails?” I jumped a little in my seat.

“Nathan, hi did I wake you?”

“No, I just woke up and then heard you down here.”

“Sorry, I couldn’t sleep,” I quickly wiped another tear that strayed away.

“Are you crying? What’s wrong?” My big brother came and put his arm around me and looked at the computer and read the email. “Is this from—?” I nodded my head and showed him the others. “Hailey we need to tell someone about these. This isn’t right. They could possibly trace it back to this persons computer.”

“Maybe but I don’t think they’re that stupid.”

“Have you told Nick?”

“I just got them.”

“Well, I know you and I know you won’t say anything. I’ll call him tomorrow and see who he has dealing with everything. Come on you should go to bed.”

“I will in a few minutes. I have some emails from some friends from the tour I want to respond to.”

“Are we going to the pool still in the afternoon to workout that knee?”

“Yeah, after I get back from the gym.”

“I’ll see you in the morning.” He kissed the top of my head and went back up stairs. I wrote Katie an email letting her know I was home and that I would come to see her when I went out to L.A. to see Nick. I just hit send when I heard my buddy list door open. I checked to see who it was and it was Brian. We had all exchanged emails and screen names on tour. I double clicked his name: ImADuck and sent him an IM.

Gymgrl6: Hey stranger, isn’t it passed your bed time? 

ImADuck: You should ask yourself the same question

Gymgrl6: How are you?

ImADuck: O.K. can’t sleep…you?

Gymgrl6: Same…

ImADuck: Bad dreams?

Gymgrl6: yeah…they’re really taking a toll on my beauty sleep. I’m looking like an ogre.

ImADuck: A beautiful ogre I’m sure.

Gymgrl6: :-P

Gymgrl6: Nick told me about you and Leigh…I’m so sorry. I meant to call you but I figured you had a lot going on…

ImADuck: We rushed too fast…I love her but not the way she deserves. We want to stay together for Bailey but it wouldn’t be healthy.

Gymgrl6: Anything I can do hun?

ImADuck: Could use a hug. Haven’t had one of those in a few weeks. :-(

Gymgrl6 ::hug::

ImADuck: Everything happens for a reason …right?

Gymgrl6: I believe so.

ImADuck: So, enough of me, how are you? The knee, the heart, Nick?

GymGrl6: I’m okay…the knee is getting stronger each day, the heart too. I still get short of breath time to time. I’m attempting the gym tomorrow. YIKES!!! And Nick…he’s good but across the country :-

ImADuck: Don’t push yourself girl. Isn’t he coming down to see you soon? Or you going there?

GymGrl6: It’s me Bri, c’mon! And I’m not sure, he was going to come here but his leg just isn’t heeling right. He goes to the doctor tomorrow.

ImADuck: Probably because he doesn’t stay off of it…kinda like someone else I know…ahem

GymGrl6: HEY, I do just fine.

ImADuck: You were of the crutches two weeks earlier than you were supposed to be. You’ve been moving around a lot more than you were supposed to for your heart.

GymGrl6: Eh, I’m fine.

ImADuck: Are you though?

GymGrl6: I’m fine.

ImADuck: I don’t believe you.

GymGrl6: When do I get to see you again?

ImADuck: Don’t change subjects! But I don’t know? I’m looking for a new home tomorrow for me and for Leigh. We both want something smaller but in a close radius of each other for Bailey buns.

GymGrl6: That’s amazing you two are being mature about the whole thing. You’re amazing for helping her out…

ImADuck: I’d never just abandon her. I will make sure she is more than comfortable and help out in anyway I can.

GymGrl6: You’re too sweet. Wish my parents would’ve been that mature.

ImADuck: I think that’s the first time you’ve mentioned your parents…

GymGrl6: oh?

GymGrl6: Well, they divorced just before I turned sixteen….right after I quit gymnastics.

ImADuck: Thus the screen name? I see the sixteen in GRL.

GymGrl6: Yeah.

ImADuck: Why did you quit? I mean I heard a little of what happened from Nick.

GymGrl6: I pretty much went crazy…I mean look at me now

ImADuck: You’re not THAT crazy lol.

GymGrl6: Gee thanks. But no, even after everything that happened, I couldn’t stop my compulsion with working out seven days a week, sixty hours and trying to be the best in every way possible. I wouldn’t eat, my dad couldn’t handle it. My mom saw my reasons, she pushed for it.

Gymgrl6: My dad left, he left use the house, the car, some money and I haven’t heard from him since. They did get a divorce so they are official. I talk to my Mom time to time, but she blames me a lot for the divorce.

ImADuck: I’m so sorry you had to go through all that.

GymGrl6: I’m tough. But yeah I quit because my body was done, I had blown my knee out for the third time and emotionally I was pretty much dead. What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger…

ImADuck: You’re amazing.

GymGrl6: I think I’m going to go to bed, it is almost four-thirty am.. Call me tomorrow?

ImADuck: I will. Goodnight.

GymGrl6: Sleep sweet Bri Bri..