- Text Size +
I kissed Nick’s forehead as I crawled out of bed. He looked too peaceful and I didn’t want to wake him. I put on a green halter top and a white pair of shorts and threw my hair up into a claw before deciding to make breakfast. I went out into the hall and heard Brian on the phone.

“So, we’re meeting with the lawyer the day after I get back, Tuesday….I understand. Can I talk to Bailey….oh, alright I’ll call later to talk. I know Leigh….I miss what we used to have too but that’s gone…this was your idea…okay …goodbye.” I headed for the stairs and felt such sadness for Brian. He was a great Dad, he was a great husband but his job was overly demanding. I took out some pancake mix and a bowl down from the cupboards.

“You’re up early,” Brian said as he walked into the kitchen. I just grinned at him as I poured the mix into the bowl. “You look much better today…wait a minute…I know that look, what did you two do last night?”

“Nothing…pancakes?” I smiled sweetly.

“Uh huh. And yeah that sounds good, I’m going to make some coffee. Is he still asleep?”

“Yeah, I must’ve worn him out,” I winked.

“I do not need to know the details!” Brian put both of his hands up in the air.

“So, I was thinking, I need to go dancing,” I stirred the mix and leaned against the counter.

“Dancing?”

“Yeah! I haven’t since…well…”

“I know,” Brian nodded his head.

“And I was used to dancing every day, there has to be some good clubbing places around here.”

“I guess so, not really my thing. I’ll call A.J. up he knows the hot spots around here.”

“Let’s go tonight, it is a Friday night! We’re going no if ands or buts! Call, A.J. later!” I ran over to Brian and kissed his cheek while he laughed. I finished making the pancakes and brought them upstairs to Nick.
Nick lay asleep on the right hand side of the bed. One leg hung over the sheets and one arm was over his face.

“Nicky,” I set the food on the night stand and shook Nick gently, kissing his cheek.

“Brian, five more minutes,” he rolled over and I laughed. I decided to kiss him to see what his reaction would be. My lips met his and I slipped my tongue in and out and Nick jumped.

“Ew gross!” I started laughing looking at the sight of Nick.

“I do not taste that bad!” I still laughed.

“Hailey? I thought you were Brian.”

“Does Brian usually wake you up with a kiss?” I asked

“Maybe,” Nick sat up and winked at me. “What’s this?”

“Breakfast! Hungry?”

“I am but I don’t know if I can eat all those eggs!” Nick looked at the large mound on the plate.

“They’re for both of us! We have to get our protein in!”

“Of course!”

Nick and I finished our eggs together and got up to shower and get ready for the day. I walked across the room where I saw a guitar leaning against the closet. Nick had been picking at it a few days ago. I brought it over to the bed, played a few chords and began singing.
“I never promised you a ray of light, I never promised there’d be sunshine every day, I’ll give you everything I have, the good…the bad. Why do you put me on a pedestal…” I head a creek in the floor and looked up to see Nick leaning on his crutches in his towel. His hair dripped water droplets down his bare chest.
“Don’t stop.”

“Oh, it’s nothing.” I set the guitar down and walked over to him.

“Did you write that?”

“Been working on it in my head for the last couple of weeks,” I wrapped my arms around him.

“In your head, are you kidding? That sounded great.”

“It’s nothing. Come on get dressed, let’s go to the mall.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Two Nights Later~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“Nick I thought we were going dancing?” I asked as we stepped inside of a small café.

“We will promise, we just like to come here to listen to some live music, have a few drinks and chill. Come on.” I followed Nick, Brian, A.J., Trish and Amber up to a booth. There was a man on the keyboards playing and singing some jazz. We ordered around of cocktails listened as a girl came out singing with two guys; one playing the drums and one playing a guitar. I couldn’t help but notice Nick and Brian exchange glances throughout the songs, at one point, Brian nodded and got up from the table.

“Where is he going?” I asked Nick.
“I’m not sure, bathroom maybe?”

“Thank you Blue Moon’s, up next Hailey James,” some guy said on the small stage. I was in mid taking a sip of my drink and spit it out in front me.

“Thanks babe,” A.J. said wiping his face.

“Did he just, did you, who?” I stuttered over my words. I looked at Nick who just grinned. I then saw Brian come to the table with his guitar in hand.

“That’s for you right Brian?” I asked.

“Nope, for you. Nick told me you were writing a song, you don’t have to sing that one if it’s not ready but could sing ‘That’s What she Said’.” Brian handed me the guitar.

“I can’t, I don’t do this, this is your thing, not me.”

“Aww come on Hale’s, you’ll have fun I promise.” Nick took my hand in his.

“This wasn’t very nice,” I took my hand back and stood up finishing my drink in one gulp. Thankfully I had already had two glasses of wine and was feeling quite nice.

“That’s my girl,” Nick said. I took the guitar out of Brian’s hand and walked up to the stage and sat on the stool. I thought for a minute and then decided to play the song that I had been working on for some time now. I had played it a few times on the guitar, I just didn’t tell Nick about it. Until now, writing music was my little secret. Not anymore. I took in a deep breath, looked at Nick who smiled and nodded his head and played the first chord.

I never promised you a ray of light,
I never promised there'd be sunshine everyday,
I’ll give you everything I have, the good, the bad.
Why do you put me on a pedestal,
I'm so up high that I can't see the ground below,
So help me down you've got it wrong, I don't belong there.
One thing is clear,
I wear a halo,
I wear a halo when you look at me,
But standing from here, you wouldn't say so
you wouldn't say so, if you were me
And I, I just wanna love you,
Oh oh I, I just wanna love you
I always said that I would make mistakes,
I'm only human, and that’s my saving grace,
I fall as hard as I try
So don't be blinded
See me as I really am, I have flaws and sometimes I even sin,
so pull me from that pedestal,
I don't belong there.
One thing is clear,
I wear a halo,
I wear a halo when you look at me,
But standing from here, you wouldn't say so
you wouldn't say so, if you were me
And I, I just wanna love you,
Oh oh I, I just wanna love you


Why you think that you know me
But In your eyes
I am something above you
It’s only in your mind
Only in your mind
I wear a
I wear a
I wear a Halo

One thing is clear,
I wear a halo,
I wear a halo when you look at me,
But standing from here, you wouldn't say so
you wouldn't say so, if you were me
And I, I just wanna love you,
Oh oh I, I just wanna love you
Halo, h-h-halo, halo, h-halo,h-h-halo, halo –from One Tree Hill Soundtrack

By the time I was done with the song, I had stood up the stool and had been singing into the mic and directly into Nick’s eyes. He looked at me intently with the other guys looking at him. The crowd all clapped and I walked down the stage slowly and Nick stood up.

“Ha-Hailey, you were, that was, damn,” Nick pulled me into a hug and I handed Brian his guitar.

“Serious girl, you wrote that?” A.J. asked. I nodded my head.

“So, how about some dancing?” I asked drinking some of Nick’s water.

“I’d rather listen to you sing all night,” Brian told me smiling.

“Eh, I’m not trained like ya’ll, I don’t think my voice could do that again.”

“Do you have more songs?” Trish asked me.

“A few bits and pieces, I haven’t had the time to do it like I used to. It was just a small hobby,” I shrugged my shoulders. “Come on dancing time!” I took my purse from the chair and headed to the door.
_________________


“Are you sure you don’t mind me drinking Nicky? I mean I know you can’t because of your pain killers…”

“No, you need to let loose and just have fun tonight,” Nick put his arm around my waist and pulled me in for a kiss.

“Well, thank you. Just let me know when you want to head out. A.J. this is a rocking club!”

“It’s one of the better ones, more class!” he cheered his drink with my banana rum with pineapple juice.

“Hailey, how did you come up with that song you sang earlier?” Nick asked me as I sat on his lap.

“Easy, it just sorta came to me one day when I was thinking of you and for all the @#%$ I keep putting you through with me,” I pecked his lips.

“Hails, I well, this probably isn’t the best time to tell you but, I love you.” His eyes were sincere, the bluest I have seen them. I felt immediately sobered and took a sharp deep breath in. I studied his face and then pulled him in for a kiss.

“I love you,” I pulled away and he held me closer to him. We stayed this for a little when I pulled away.

“I want to dance! Will you try?” I fluttered my eye lashes up at Nick. Nick looked at his watch and then back at me.

“Babe there is just no way I can. I promise as soon as I’m off the crutches and out of the cast you and I will go dancing as much as you want. Brian take her out on the dance floor!” He looked down at his hand

“That’s like the tenth time you’ve checked your watch, have a hot date?”

“Maybe.” He grinned his adorable, irresistible smile. I was about to say something when I felt someone pull me to them.

“Come on you heard the man!” Brian had come over with drink in hand, picked me up and threw me over his shoulder and brought us out to the dance floor. A.J. and Trish followed us. It felt good to move and dance, moving my body with the music and against Brian’s body. I hadn’t danced since before the last show.

“So who the hell drinks banana rum with pineapple?” a voice asked me. I turned from A.J. whom I was dancing with at this point of the night.

“Ahhh!” I screamed as soon as I saw who it was. “Katie what are you doing here?!” I yelled pulling her into a hug. She handed me a drink and smiled.

“Your BOYFRIEND, yeah when did that happen? Nick called and told me to get my butt down here. I literally came from the airport to here. I had to change on the plane.” I took my phone out of my pocket to see the time. It was one am; at least the bars didn’t close until four.

“I can’t believe you are here! I have missed you and yes Nick and I are together, I’m sorry I never called you to tell you that, it’s been a while. My fault, things have been crazy! I have to go thank Nick. Come on!” I took her hand.

“Someone is feeling good tonight,” Katie laughed as I pulled her to where Nick was sitting. He was talking with Amber sipping a cola.

“BABY I LOVE YOU! Thank you for flying her here!” I jumped on Nick’s lap and kissed him.

“Whoa! You are more than welcome. I thought you missed her a little and needed some girl time.”

“Well, I will give you some of me time later!” I winked. “Darlin’ I think I’m going to head home though, I’m tired and the leg is getting sore.”

“Aww no!” I pouted my and he kissed my lower lip.

“Stay and have fun, Brian, A.J. and them are staying. Please, have fun with Katie.”

“Thank you again, it’s a wonderful surprise.” I got off Nick’s lap and he stood up. I handed him his crutches. “How are you getting home?”

“I’m taking him, I’m beat too!” Amber piped up slinging her purse over her shoulder. I felt my stomach drop and I looked at Nick.

“Oh,” was all I got out and Nick pulled me in for a hug.

“Relax, have fun. I’ll see you in a few hours.” He kissed my forehead and walked out with Amber.

“Let’s go girl Justin Timberlake’s “Sexy Back” is on!” Katie pulled my arm and I immediately snapped out of jealousy.

“Alright I love you,” I kissed Nick.

“I love you. I’m proud of you for tonight, now go drink, let loose and I’ll see you in a few hours.” He kissed my forehead and I let Katie pull me to the dance floor.

~*~*~*~*~Three Hours Later~*~*~*~*~

“Brian who’s going to be going home with us?” I asked slinging my arms around his neck.

“You mean how are we getting home?”

“No who is going home with us because I don’t see A.J. or Trish and Katie is all over that guy,” I pointed over the bar where Katie was flirting with this tall, dark attractive man, who claims to be a model for Tommy Hilfiger.

“Well, we’ll have each other,” Brian laughed and spun me around.

“Right after I pee!” I pulled away and ran to the bathroom. I walked into the bathroom, there were three girls in front of the mirror and I went into the stall. My phone was vibrating like crazy in my purse and I opened it up. I had a text message from Nick saying “ I love you” a text from Katie asking where I was and then three from someone I didn’t know saying “I’m watching you.” “Well, I hope you’re watching me, ‘cause I am hot tonight,” I laughed to myself throwing my phone into my purse. I did my business and walked to the sink to wash my hands.

Nick’s House: Nick’s POV
“I’m Mario so I’m first,” I told Amber who was setting up our controllers to play Nintendo.

“Yes, Nick, you’ve told me that three times,” Amber sat next to me on the couch and we began playing.

“I just had to be sure you knew the rules,” I laughed.

“Rules huh? Ya know speaking of rules, that’s amazing you trust Hailey to just go out dancing and drinking tonight without you.”

“How is that related to rules? I trust her and besides she needs this. I would be there but she also needs time to be her, ya know?”

“I guess,” Amber shrugged her shoulders and I started the first level.

At the Club: Hailey’s POV
“Okay girl, time to slow the drinks down,” I held onto the sink in the bathroom to compose myself. I splashed some cold water on my face and thought about asking Brian to have the car bring us home. I wanted to see my man, which I just declared love for. I smiled to myself as I thought of Nick. I ran a finger underneath my eyes to rid any smudge of mascara and pushed the door open out of the bathroom. As I pushed it open, I felt myself being pushed back inside.
“Get in!” The voice yelled, turned his back and he locked the door.

“Who are you?” My back was pressed against the cool tile and I felt my heart to begin racing.

“Oh, I think you know. I believe you were told to stay away from the Nickolas Carter, Miss James,” the man with a mask on his face edged closer to me. I let out a small gasp and couldn’t believe what I was hearing. This couldn’t be the same stalker who had been sending me threats. I was pretty sure, even the cops were pretty sure it was a woman.

“What do you want with me?”

“Just some play time, now don’t move and this wont hurt a bit,” his leather gloved hand pined my shoulders to the wall; his other ungloved hand began unzipping his pants. I lifted my knee up and kneed him in the groan and took off for the door, he grabbed my long hair and pulled me to the ground. Who was I kidding, this guy was taller than Nick at least six three.

“I’ll give you whatever money you need, just let me go!”

“I don’t think so. Now, the less you struggle, the less it will hurt and then we can just get it over.” I opened my mouth to scream and he shoved a small pill into the back of my throat and choked it down. “Just something to help calm you down, it should kick in within two minutes,” His gloved hand covered my mouth while he held me to his chest.

Tears threatened to fall from my eyes and I was scared, already disoriented from the alcohol I had in my system and now I had a date rape pill down my throat. I heard knocks on the bathroom door and I tried to let out a scream through his gloved hand. I felt my phone vibrate in my purse I slowly reached in and hit the send button to answer it.

“See now, you’re calming down and I won’t hurt you if you just do as I say. If I let go of you, do you promise not to scream?” I nodded my head, my eyes felt heavy and I struggled to keep them open. “Ahh, our medicine is kicking in.”

“Wouldn’t you rather take me to your car or outside at least, people are going to try to get in,” my speech slurred a little and I felt weaker. “I mean the GIRLS BATHROOM in a BAR is not really safe,” I raised my voice hoping whomever was on the other line could hear me.

“Nah, they’ll go away if they come a knocking while I’m @#%$ your pretty little head off. Oh, stay awake now, I don’t want you to miss all of it,” he stroked my hair back.

“HAILEY?” a voice came over my phone loud. My eyes shot up into the dark brown eyes of the man who had control over me. “Are you OKAY?”

“What did you do?” He reached into my purse and took out my phone.

“HELP!! I’M IN THE GIRLS BATHROOM IN THE BAR!” I yelled and before I knew it I was thrown across the room hitting hard into the wall. I slammed my head hard onto the ground. I tried to stand but between the alcohol, the pill and now most likely a concussion everything was spinning and fast.

Nick’s House: Nick’s POV
“Are you going to make me pass ALL of the levels Amber?” I asked as I completed World Three of Mario.

“Are you going to die so I can get a chance to play?” She threw her controller down onto the floor and put one leg over my lap and sat on me. “Let’s have a screw driver,” she said standing up.

“I probably shouldn’t, because—”

“Your pills? Please, I used to only take pills when I was drinking, it’s a kind of high, and you’ll like it. Nothing bad promise, it’s not like doing drugs no worries. Where is your vodka?”

“Freezer,” I said standing up and shrugging my shoulders. I figured Hailey would be coming home drunk soon anyway, why not join the fun just a little. “Just one drink for me though,” I told her matter of fact. I knew though that one drink never meant one drink.

Bar: Brian’s POV

I was closing my tab at the bar when Katie came running up to me.

“BRIAN! Something’s wrong with Hailey, I called her and she picked up but didn’t really and I heard her talking to a voice, it was a male, I think she’s in the bathroom, but I can’t get the door opened it’s locked, I heard a scream, I don’t know where she is, if she’s even in there—”

“Whoa slow down,” Katie was talking at a million miles per hour. I took my hands on her shoulders. “You think she’s in the bathroom?” Katie nodded her head and I could tell she was freaked out. I went up to a bar tender. “Excuse me, I think we have a situation in the woman’s bathroom and the door is locked, do you have a key?”

“Sure do, probably a younger couple getting it on, not the first time,” the woman came out from behind the bar with a set of keys. We followed her briskly to the bathroom and I held Katie’s hand in mine so we wouldn’t be split up, there was a line outside the bathroom now of angry girls who had to use it. The bar tender fiddled around with some keys to find the right one.

Hailey’s POV:

I struggled to stand up, using every inch of will in me to not fall asleep. I pulled myself up using the wall for help and the man came to me quickly. My cell phone had been a victim of the bottom of his foot when he heard the phone call. I tried to kick at him and he grabbed my leg and twisted it around. I cried out and fell to the ground. My knee had made a loud pop and I knew immediately it was dislocated.

“Aww see what you made me do cupcake? I forgot you had surgery on that knee a few times,” he pulled his pants down and then continued to pull down my black capri’s along with my underwear. His hand was over my throat choking me now so that I couldn’t scream, my eyes became impossible to keep open and I felt myself slip into blackness.

Nick’s House: Nick’s POV

“Nicky you’re so funny! I wish we would’ve gotten closer over the tour, but next time right?” Amber asked clicking her glass against mine for the tenth time on our third glass.

“Of course girl!”

“Nick you have an amazing body, does your girlfriend appreciate that?”

“Of course!”

“Do you say anything else? Come on, another round!”

“Of course!” I held my empty glass up and let her pour me another glass of vodka topping it off with orange juice. “You know what my leg doesn’t even hurt anymore! This is miracle juice!” I kissed Amber’s cheek.

“Of course it is honey, see just let me take care of you!” Amber slide her arm around my waist and kissed my lips softly. Her perfume was strong but not overwhelming, almost like a drug, I wanted to smell her and breathe her.

“Mmm,” I let out a soft moan.

“Something you like Nick?” she asked me running her finger up my neck, around my ear, and tracing a line to my lips.

“You smell …good,” I smiled drinking out of my glass.

“I was thinking the same thing, let’s go into the living room. Want me to carry your glass so you can get your crutches?”

“Nah, I, don’t need them. Your medicine made me better!” I held the glass in my left hand, put my right arm around Amber’s shoulders and we walked into the living room. I ended up tripping over my cast and I dumped the class onto the floor.

“Maybe you did need them,” Amber laughed.

“My medicine is all gone!” I pouted.

“Shh now, I have some more,” before I knew it Amber was kissing my neck.