- Text Size +
Hailey’s POV

Using Brian and Katie as crutches we slowly made our way into the lit living room. “Nick?” I called out. When we stepped over the thresh hole I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. My stomach turned and I felt sick. I could feel my legs buckling and Brian swung around in front of me catching me.

Amber was lying on the couch with Nick, a blanket covered their lower halves and their tops were on the ground, next to two pairs of jeans, an empty vodka bottle and two glasses. Nick’s arm was around Amber and she was snuggled into his chest.

“Brian get me out of here,” I shut my eyes tight, my face buried in his chest. He swiftly picked me up and carried me towards the kitchen. Tears stung my eyes but I couldn’t bring myself to release them. My eyes were so tired, my body was tired, my head pounded, my knee ached and my heart was broken.

“Hails, I don’t know what to say,” Brian set me on a chair at the table.

“You don’t have to say anything for his actions; do you think A.J. could take us back to his house? I feel terrible for putting you guys through this but I just cannot be here right now.”

“You don’t have to ask, go ahead in the car; Katie’s already gone up the stairs to get your things,” A.J.’s voice was cold and I knew he was angry. I stood up using the table to help me and my body was weak and I sat back down. I slammed my fist on the table and dropped my head to my arm that lay on the table.

Without saying a word Brian picked me up and carried me out to the car where we got back into our original positions. Katie soon followed with Trish and we waited for A.J. I hoped to God he wasn’t waking up Nick because I just couldn’t deal right now. A minute later A.J. showed up and got into his car.
“What were you doing?” Trish asked.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said starting the car.

The ride was deathly quiet, I was so tired but I couldn’t seem to close my eyes. We go to A.J.’s house and Brian brought me up to the guest room. I changed into a pair of pajamas and lay on the bed. I heard a knock on the door and I assumed it was Brian.

“Come in,” my voice was shaky.

“I brought you some water to take your pills,” he handed me the glass and two pills. I took them gratefully and swallowed. “I’ll let you get some sleep, just call me if you need me, I’ll have my phone by me,” he kissed my fore head and stared for the door.

“Brian wait,” I set the glass down next to the bed. He turned from the door frame and smiled. “Could you sleep with me tonight? I-I can’t be alone right now.” Brian came and sat down on the bed, took off his jeans, leaving on his boxers and t-shirt. He turned off the lights and climbed under the sheets. I laid my head on his chest and he wrapped his arms around me. I couldn’t help but think that his arms were supposed to be Nick’s. I tried to keep my tears in but a loud sob came out and the tears started.

~*~*~*~*~*~Later that Morning: Brian’s POV~*~*~*~*~*~

I woke up to my phone ringing and picked it up next to me. I glanced at the clock and it read ten am.

“Two hours of sleep,” I said to no one but myself. Hailey slept peacefully next to me, she cried for almost three hours straight and I just let her because I knew that’s what she needed, that and sleep. “Hello?” I asked quietly into the phone.

“Brian, where are you? Where’s Hailey?” It was Nick, great. I carefully got out of bed and walked out of the room and into the kitchen.

“Nick, hey,” I didn’t know what to do or say.

“Did you guys come by last night? I had this picture of Amber and I on my phone, I don’t remember taking it, I don’t even remember last night at all.” That’s what A.J. must’ve done, taken Nick’s phone and took a picture of the two.

“Yeah we came by,” let him do the talking for now I thought.

“Oh God, Hailey is going to kill me, did she see well us?”

“Yeah, Nick look can I meet you somewhere to talk?”

“Yes, is Hailey okay? Where are you?”

“I’ll meet you at that diner off of first and third, give me an hour to shower.”

“Okay, Brian I screwed up…bad,” Nick’s voice was depressed but it was his choices and after he heard about what happened to Hailey, things were only going to get worse. I showered and borrowed some clothes from A.J. letting him know where I was going.

“Does he have any idea how much of a great thing he just ruined? And after everything she just went through, she needs him the most right now,” A.J. shook his head.

“I’m going to go and find out, just check on her in a little bit, she hasn’t moved since she fell asleep and I just don’t know with her concussion and all.”
“You got it, good luck. Slap Nick across the head for me will ya?”

I took A.J.’s keys and got into his car to go meet Nick. On the way there I contemplated on whether or not I should tell him what happened, he should know but would it make matters worse? Maybe he never even did anything with Amber, maybe they just got drunk, took their clothes off and fell asleep? It’s Nick we’re talking about here, anything is possible.

When I arrived at the dinner Nick was already in a booth with sunglasses on, his crutches against the wall. I walked up to him slowly, I felt nervous, this was my best friend here, my brother but I couldn’t look at him the same way.

“Hey,” I said sitting down.

“I ordered us some coffee,” Nick pointed to the two cups on the table. I nodded my head and took a sip of the warm comforting drink. I knew I was going to need at least two more cups before their talk was over.

“Nick, I need to know, did you two have sex?” I set the cup down and clasped my hands around it. Nick took off his sunglasses. He looked terrible.

“It honestly just happened—”

“Nick what were you thinking?!” I cut him off.

“We started drinking, and I shouldn’t have mixed with my pain killers and one thing lead to the next, I don’t remember any of it. Brian you have to believe me, I would never hurt her like this intentionally, I love her.” His voice quivered and tears fell from his eyes. I let out a sigh; I knew everything he was saying was true.

“Nick, we tried calling you last night before we came over…we didn’t get in until after six am.”

“I never heard my phone,” Nick ran his hand through his long locks. He looked like a kid who just got grounded.

“Hailey…last night before we were about to leave she went to the bathroom. Nick she was attacked by her stalker.” Nick’s eyes grew wide and I continued before he had a chance to talk. “He tried to rape her, he wasn’t successful thank God but she got beat up pretty good. A concussion, bruises and dislocated knee.”

“Jesus,” was all Nick said.

“We took her to the hospital, they cleared her within a few hours and we went home to see you. All she wanted to do was be in your arms when she got home. And what did she find when she got home? Amber in your arms, both of you naked. I don’t know what’s worse, the fact she caught you with another girl or the fact it was with Amber.” I felt my voice start to rise and Nick now had tears streaming down his face. “Nick, she went through pure hell last night and I had to hold her while she cried for t here hours straight and tired her self out.”

“I need to go see her,” Nick went to stand up and I put my hand on his.

“Not yet Nick. She needs her rest right now, besides I think A.J. may kill you if sees you just yet. Give her some time.”

“I never met for her to get hurt Brian, God when she needed me the most I wasn’t there.”

“We’ll figure this out,” I went on Nick’s side of the booth and put an arm around him.


Ch. 36 Hailey’s POV:
I opened my eyes and blinked a few times, adjusting the daylight that was being let through the window. My body felt like it had been hit by a truck when I tried to sit up, my head throbbed. Last nights events came flooding into my mind; me singing my song for the first time, the drinks, Katie coming, dancing, the bathroom, being thrown across the tile floor…the hospital…naked Amber in Nick’s arms. I felt extremely nauseous and pulled the blankets off of my legs and carefully tried to stand up. There was no way my knee was holding me, it was in excruciating pain and I sat back down. I looked next to the bed and thankfully there was a trash can, I picked it up, hugging it to my chest and threw up last nights dinner and drinks.

“Hailey?” Katie came into the room and sat by my side. She rubbed my back as I finished throwing up. She pulled some tissues out of a box off the dresser and handed them to me. I wiped my mouth and put the can on the floor and lay back onto the bed. “What can I get you?”

“Water,” my voice was hoarse and left the room. My head felt worse and I wasn’t too sure if it was from the drinking, from the concussion or the pill I was slipped. My guess was all three. Katie came back in with water and Brian.

“Here you go,” she helped me sit up and I drank the water thirstily and laid my head on her shoulder.

“I need to shower, Brian are my crutches here?”

“@#%$, I was going to pick them up while I was out. You were sorta walking last night, want to try?” I shook my head no.

“I already tried, that’s why I threw up in A.J.’s nice trash can, I need to get an MRI on my knee, I’m pretty sure I tore my ACL again.” I moaned and sat up all the way. “You were already out? Did you go see Nick?” I asked Brian. He hesitated for a minute; I knew it was hard for him.

“I did, Hailey I know what he did is inexcusable but he wants to talk to you. Do you want me to have him come over?”

“No.” My voice was short because I was afraid that if I continued to talk I’d start crying.

“Okay, I’ll help you into the shower and have A.J. get your crutches,” Brian came closer to me.

“Do you want me to go with him and bring you anything hon.?” Katie asked in concern. I felt horrible for her, here she came to surprise me and has to be put through all of this.

“Yeah, if you could get all of my things, that would be great,” I took another sip out of my water. Katie looked at Brian who just nodded his head. Katie left the room and Brian sat next to me.

“Hales?”

“God Brian, everything hurts,” I put my face in my hands and the tears I had been holding back began falling.

“I know, let it out.”
Brian’s POV:
I pulled Hailey into my arms once again as she continued to cry.

“I’m sorry, I’m being such a baby, I’m done,” she sat up and used a tissue to dry her tears.

“Hailey, you’ve been through a lot, I think it’s best for you to let everything out,” I told her rubbing her hair out of her face. I gently brushed my fingers over her bruised cheek and was careful not to touch the cut on her bottom lip. I felt this immediate anger for this person who hurt her; I wondered if they had caught the monster that had done this.

“Brian, I’d like to shower and just wash away last night,” her bright blue eyes looked up at me.

“Your knee really that bad?” She nodded her head, her face looking sad. She’s been through enough with her knee to know what just a bad sprain was and what was more. I picked her up in my arms and took her to the guest bathroom. I sat her on a chair that was in the bathroom and started the shower for her.

“Thank you…for everything,” she said un-strapping her knee brace.

“Shh, you don’t need to,” I kissed my forehead and I helped her un-strap the rest of the Velcro straps. “Baby that’s swollen,” he gently ran his fingers over my knee cap.

“It feels worse than it looks,” I winked and he shook his head.

“How do you want to do this? Would you rather take a bath? I don’t think you’re going to be able to stand on one leg that long,” his eyes were full of concern and I love him for that, for being there.

“I’ll be quick, I need to just get this feeling off of me.”

“What feeling?” She just shook her head and I picked her up and sat her down on the edge of the tub. “Okay, I’ll leave the door open so just call when you’re read, I’ll be right outside the door.

“Brian could you stay in here?”

I smiled at her and nodded my head, “I’ll give you a minute to get in then I’ll come right in.”

“Thanks.” I left the room for a minute until I heard her say “Okay.” I sat down on the chair and pulled my phone out to text Nick.
She is not ready to see u yet. Give her some time.
My phone vibrated right away:
How much time?
I sent back: I’m not sure. She is in a lot of physical pain.
I don’t think she has been able to think about everything really.
Nick:  I need to see her.
Me: I know Nick. Time heels everything though. I will call u later. A.J. and Katie on way over to get her things.
Nick: A.J. is going to kill me when he sees me. I’m surprised u still are talking to me.
Me: Nick you still are and will always be my best friend but I also need to be here for Hales.
Nick: I know…thank u for being there for her when I’m not. It means a lot. I’m so sorry Bri.
Me: Hang in there.

I put my phone back into my pocket.

“Hailey you about ready? We should probably ice that knee,” I asked.

“Uh-yeah just another couple of minutes,” her voice was shaky and I heard her cough.

“What else are you doing?”

“I-I can’t get clean, Brian, it wont come off,” her voice was clear that she was crying now. I stood up and walked up to the shower.

“What won’t come off Hon?”

“It’s all over me, his hands, they were all over…” her voice trailed off and I peeked through the shower, her back was to me and I saw her scrubbing her body hard with a wash cloth. I turned off the faucet and put a towel around her.
“It’s all off,” I told her softly and took the washcloth out of her hands and put it on the ledge. Her arms were red as sunburn and she was coughing pretty badly. “Come on,” I picked her up with her town wrapped around her, her right leg remained straight as I brought her back into the bedroom. I looked into her purse where I knew her inhaler was and handed it to her after I shook it. She took two puffs and lied her head down on the pillow. I sat next to her and looked up and down at her. Her legs were read, arms, neck and chest. I wanted to take away all the pain she had.

“No asthma attacks on me, you tell me if you need your inhaler sooner,” I said rubbing her arms gently. She nodded her head. “Here put these on, they’ll probably be too big but they will work until they get back with your clothes,” I handed her a pair of boxers and a sweatshirt. I walked out to get her knee brace and let her get dressed.

“Hey how is she doing?” A.J. asked coming up the stairs with her crutches and suitcase.

“Not well, she was in the shower for ten minutes just scrubbing her body, she told me she couldn’t get him off,” I took the crutches from his hand.

“Poor thing, is she sleeping?”

“No, I gave her our clothes to put on for now. You didn’t kill Nick did you?”

“Nick who?”

“A.J.—”

“No, he was playing his drums and Katie wouldn’t let me hurt him. How could he ruin the best thing he had ever?”

“It was a mistake, a stupid one but we all make them,” I told A.J.

“I know but just the whole timing thing, it’s unbelievable.”

“Well, we had the accident at the concert, then she was well, attacked and then Nick cheated on her, things come in three’s so it should be over.”

“Brian?” Hailey called out. I went into her room and she sat up on the bed, her left leg on the ground and right one up on the bed.

“You ready sweetheart?” she nodded her head.

“Here have these for you,” I sat the crutches next to her and started to put her brace back on.

“If we’re going to ice, could you just bring me downstairs? It’s a pain to get this thing on and off,” she had a point.

“Of course,” I picked her up, A.J. brought the crutches and brace down and we went into the living room. Katie and Trish were making some lunch. I sat her down on the couch, put a couple pillows under her leg and went to get her some ice.
Hailey’s POV:

“Here you go, turkey sandwich on wheat, dry with tomato, just how you like it,” Katie handed me a plate with a sandwich on it. I thanked her and took a small bite. My stomach still felt queasy.

“Ice!” Brian yelled lying a towel over my knee and gently placed a large bag of ice over my knee. “Need anything else?”

“Could I have one of my pills, my head is pounding still.”

“Yeah you will for a bit, I’ve had a concussion before,” Trish said.

“What do you want to drink?” Brian asked.

“Water please,” I pulled a half smile and took another bite of my sandwich. I then heard A.J. arguing with someone.

“It’s best if you’re not here man, I told you that earlier,” A.J. told Nick.

“Just give me five minutes, Brain come on please, I need to see her,” Nick’s voice now rose and I felt butterflies in my stomach hearing his voice. A part of me wanted to be in his arms, the other part waned me to cut his arms off.

“Time Nick, I told you time, she needs rest,” Brian told him sternly.

“I need give minutes,” Nick pushed past Brian and A.J. As soon as he came into the living room, I dropped my plate to the ground and sat up a little more. I felt nauseous again and my heart began to race. Nick stopped in his tracks when his eyes met mine. “Hailey,” he whispered and my eyes fell to my hands, I couldn’t look at him. It hurt too much.

“Hailey please listen to me, it was a mistake, a dumb one. I got drunk, mixed with my pain killers; I didn’t know what was happening. I won’t ever talk to her again, the night meant nothing clearly. Baby I love you,” he took a few steps closer to me. “I’m so sorry, and I know you probably won’t ever forgive me but you have to believe me that it was nothing.”

I didn’t say anything, I couldn’t speak, I didn’t want to cry, not in front of him, he didn’t deserve to see y tears.

“I was so scared when you weren’t home this morning and when I talked to Brian he told everything that happened and I just wanted to kill myself for not being there, to protect you, like I should’ve been.” He fell to his knees, now close to the couch. He reached for my hand and I snatched it back. I took my crutches that were next to me and stood up. I felt extremely weak but I couldn’t show him that, or I didn’t want to. Nick then stood up. “Talk to me, say something!” His voice rose I stopped where I was and turned around to face him.

“I don’t ever want to see you again. I don’t want you to try to call me, or talk to me in any way. I want you out of my life,” my voice was paced but quiet.

“Hales you don’t—”

“I mean it!” I turned back around and started to walk, I saw the four in the door way and walked up to them. I walked up to Katie and leaned into her, “I feel like I’m going to pass out,” I whispered and she pulled me in for a hug.

“A.J. help me with her,” Katie told him as the crutches fell to the ground. A.J. picked me up, waited until he saw Brian take Nick out of the living room and brought me back into the living room.

“Try to get some rest, he’s gone,” A.J. kissed my cheek and I turned and faced inward towards the back of the couch.


“Nick, it’s time for you to go, it’s too soon I told you,” Brian’s voice was sincere and I knew he was hurting for his friend. Nick let the tears fall freely from his eyes, down his cheeks and walked out of the house with Brian.