- Text Size +
Hailey’s POV

“You are mine and you will no longer be with that Backstreet Boy,” the masked guy ran his hand up my leg, under my shirt and started caressing my breast.

“No, get off me!” my shoulders were pined down so hard, I couldn’t lift my head, I tried screaming but nothing came out of my voice. I felt my pants slip down my hips, he unzipped his black jeans, it was really going to happen and there was nothing I could do. “Nooo!”

“Hailey, Hailey wake up,” Brain shook my shoulders.

“Get off me, no!” I sat up screaming and felt my body embraced.

“Shh, it’s just me, calm down,” Brian rocked me back and forth. My sweatshirt clung to my chest and back with sweat, I had beads of sweat dripping from my forehead and my breathing was rapid.

“I thought…it was real,” I gripped onto Brian as though I were going to fall.

“It was a bad dream,” his voice was soft and reassuring.

“What time is it?”

“Midnight, you fell asleep on the couch, I didn’t want to wake you so I let you stay down here,” Brian brushed back pieces of my hair out of my face.

“How did you hear me?”

“I was sleeping on the other sofa. Let me get you some water you are sweating like crazy,” he stood up and turned a light on to go into the kitchen. A minute later Brian came out with a glass of ice water and a wet towel. He handed me the water and I drank as though I haven’t had water in weeks. He patted my forehead and the back of my neck with the cold towel.

“Thank you,” I smiled and handed him the glass. He looked at me with worry in his eyes. “I’m sorry I woke you, you can go upstairs if you want.”

“No, I’m glad to be here with you. I am going to say that I am worried, you had a nightmare last night too.”

“Yeah, I don’t know how much more sweat I can lose though,” I tugged on my oversized sweatshirt.

“Let’s go get you some dry PJ’s and sleep in the comfortable bed.”

“Sounds good,” I pulled the blanket off of me and picked up my crutches that were on the ground. Brian helped me stand up and we went upstairs. I changed into a tank top and a pair of shorts and sat on the bed. I un-strapped my knee brace so my knee could air out and I heard a knock on the door.

“Come in,” I said.

“All dressed?” Brian asked me peeking his head through with his eyes closed tight. I laughed and told him to come in. He turned off the light and climbed into bed, being careful not hit my leg.

“Bri?”
“Yeah?” he asked.

“You’re Nick’s best friend…and I appreciate for everything you’re doing but I’m a big girl and I just—” Brian turned and faced me.

“I love him but I love you too and you’re going through just a little more than he is right now and I don’t want you to have to worry about anything but just heeling; emotionally and physically. Look at you, I mean you have been through so much these past months and the unthinkable the last 48 hours and you’re worried about the guy who hurt you.”

As Brian said these words to me I felt myself getting choked up again, I swallowed a lump in my throat and let out an unsteady sigh. As I did this, Brian could sense I was getting upset and pulled me into him.

“I’m here, use me,” he whispered into my ear and kissed my head.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Amber’s POV~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It wasn’t supposed to go this way; I was supposed to be with him right now.

“I’m sorry Boss, I just thought if I did a little more than slip her a roofie in her drink it would scare her, no on caught me they don’t know it was you,” Billy Amber’s sidekick you could say said over the phone.

“You idiot, do you know what could’ve happened?!”

“I don’t think you will have to worry about her though, that should show her to stay away from your love Boss,” he bellowed.

“I hear she won’t take him back anyway, he’ll come back to me, and I’ll just have to give it some time. You on the other hand, make yourself scarce; go back to New York for a while. I’ll call you if I need anything else. We have them both where we want them.”

“Okay Boss, bye bye.”
~*~*~*~*~Hailey’s POV*~*~*~*~*~*~
I lay in Brian’s arms, staring into the dark, replaying the previous night’s events. I shivered and pulled Brian’s arm tighter around my waist. It felt good to be able to be in the arms of someone I could trust; there was no one more in the world that I could I feel safe with at that moment. Brian gave me a small squeeze to reassure he was here and more than just physically.

That morning I woke up, or I should say got out of bed at seven am. I couldn’t sleep any longer and maybe got a total of three hours. I didn’t like the dark even though Brian was right there. I looked down at him as I started to get dressed, he slept peacefully and I smiled as I noticed how ruffled his sandy blonde hair was. I went down the hall to where the computer was and went on the internet. I began looking for flights that would take me back home. There was a flight going out at five pm and one left that would be leaving tomorrow at eleven am.

“Going home today or tomorrow?” I jumped a little at A.J.’s voice and set a cup of tea next to me. “I know you don’t like coffee, so here is some green tea.” He took a seat next to me.

“Thank you,” I smiled up at him. “And yeah, I just need to go back home and get away from all the crazyness.”

“You know you are more than welcome to stay here for as long as you need Hailey. I mean is it good for you to be taking off on your own so soon?”

“I’ll be fine and I appreciate everything that you have done for me. It’s just time.” I took a sip from the steaming tea.
“Let me know when you’ll need a ride. I have to um go, go do some errands,” A.J. stood up from the chair a kissed the top of my head and I nodded. I took my credit card out of my purse and finished booking my flight.

~*~*~*~*~Nick’s POV~*~*~*~*~

I hadn’t been to bed yet, only sat in my chair in the dark all night thinking of different ways to get Hailey back. How do you regain the trust that took so long to build and mend the heart of the one you were in love with, when you broke it? Maybe I should just leave her alone; I don’t deserve such an amazing woman like her. My stomach was in knots and I hadn’t been able to eat anything since that morning. Amber had called me last night and I told her that I could no longer even be her friend.

I fiddled with my cell in my hand debating on trying to call Hailey again or not, her phone would most likely still be off. I tilted my head back trying to keep the tears back but they were once again uncontrollable and I let them fall freely and untouched for the next couple of hours.

~*~*~*~*~Brian’s POV~*~*~*~*~*

I woke up to the empty side of the bed where Hailey should’ve been. I looked at my watch and it read nine o’clock. I was surprised at the fact she was up already. I took a quick shower and went downstairs.

“Morning Brian,” Trish said sitting at the kitchen counter reading the newspaper.

“Good morning,” I smiled at her and looked around the corner into the living room.

“She’s outside on the porch; she’s been there since I got up at eight. She doesn’t look well Bri.” I only nodded my head and went outside. It was raining but something that California needed desperately right now. Hailey sat in a wicker rocking chair, her right leg up on a foot stool and left knee tucked up to her chin.

“Hey you,” I said sitting in the chair next to her.

“Hi B,” her eyes stayed set onto the open lawn. Trisha was right, she didn’t look well. She had dark circles under her eyes and her normally tanned skin looked pale. Her once dancing blue eyes looked gray, as though she weren’t alive.

“Been up long?” I asked looking out into the rain with her.

“Got up at seven,” her voice was soft.

“Have you been out here since?” I asked trying to meet her eyes.

“I booked a flight home.”

“Oh,” was all I could say at first. “For when?”

“Tonight.”

“Hailes…”

“I need to go tonight,” she cut my words off. I didn’t say anything knowing that there was not changing her mind and that going home was probably best for her at this point. “Brian I have to…my things…” She tried to get the words out.

“I’ll get them for you,” I stood up and went next to her chair kneeling down. “Did you talk to your brother about any of this yet?” Her eyes finally met mine and she shook her head no.
“He doesn’t need to know, he’s had to worry about me for too long.” She looked away and back into the rain. I still wondered about her and her brother and her parents. She never talked about them and I remember Nick telling me how she would always change subjects when he would try to talk about it.

“Hailey I don’t think keeping this to yourself is the best thing,” I took her hand in mine. She pulled it away quickly.

“You don’t know what’s best for me Brian,” she snapped and I was taken back. Her head dropped and she put her face in her hands.

“I-I’m sorry, I just didn’t sleep at all,” her voice cracked and she brushed away tears that had fallen.

“Shh, I know,” I wrapped my arms around her and I felt her try to resist at first and then gave in. “Come on, why don’t you try to get a little more sleep and I’ll go get your things for you and we’ll go out to brunch later.” She slowly nodded her head, picked her leg up off the stool and set it down, I handed her the crutches and helped her up.

*~*~*~*~*~*~Nick’s House*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I knocked on Nick’s door and rang his door bell. When he didn’t’ answer I took my own key out and let myself in. I had this eerie feeling when I walked into the house. The lights were off and no sound could be heard.

“Nick?” I called out. “Nick it’s Brian, I know you’re home.” I checked the living room and kitchen. “Nick?!” I yelled going up the stairs. I went to the last door on the left where his room was and knocked on the door. “You in there?” I turned the door knob slowly and opened the door. “Nick?” His bed was empty and I looked around the room. I was about to leave when I saw a spout of blonde hair from a chair that faced the window. I walked up to the chair slowly, for some reason I had knots in my stomach. Nick was lying in the chair, arms sprawled over the arm rests and eyes closed. My heart started racing and I felt for Nick’s pulse.

“Brian?” Nick’s voice was hoarse.

“Jesus Nick,” I let out a huge sigh. “I thought you were—” I couldn’t even get the last of my sentence out. “How are you doing?”

“Fabulous you?” He said sarcastically and sat up rubbing his neck.

“I’m alright. Did you sleep her all night?”

“I’ve been in this chair for probably over 24 hours but been asleep for about an hour. What are you doing here?”

“Well, one to check on you and two to get her things.” Nick’s eyes shut tight and he nodded his head.

“Is she leaving?” His eyes remained shut.

“Tonight. She’s not doing well here at all. I think its best.” I paused for a moment. “I think she’s had as much sleep as you. When she does sleep she has nightmares.”

“Do you know what of?”

“Her attacker.”

“It should be me being there for her.”

“I know man…”

“I don’t deserve to live…” his voice trailed off.

“Don’t you EVER say that Nick, do you hear me?! EVER!”

“I don’t though, she was the one Bri and I @#%$ up.” Tears dropped from his blood shot eyes and I felt sorry for my best friend. I placed my hand on his shoulder. “And here I am crying feeling sorry for myself when I don’t even deserve that. She doesn’t even feel safe and who knows if she will again?”

“Time Nick, just give everything some time. I have to get her stuff packed and then head out.”

“Will you give her something for me?” Nick looked up at me. He looked like a lost child and my heart went out for him.

“Of course.” Nick stood up and went to his night stand where he pulled out an envelope and handed it to me.

“I’m sorry Brian, I’m so sorry,” Nick sat on the edge of his bed and began to sob again. I was extremely worried about him at this point and was afraid to leave him. I stepped out of the room and took my cell phone out of my back pocket.

“A.J.? Hey man, look do you think you can come over to Nick’s and hang for a while? He’s just, I’m worried about him…I know what he did was stupid but the kid is talking about killing himself…yes…okay I’m just going to get the rest of Hailey’s things and then head out, her flight leaves tonight at five so I have to take one of your cars…thanks…later man.” I hung up the phone and went back into Nick’s room where he had already began putting Hailey’s things into a bag. I watched as he gingerly packed a few of her shirts and packed other belongings in.

“That should be it. If I find anything else I’ll mail them.” His head hung low and he ran a hand through his hair.

“I’ll be over tonight after I bring her to the airport. Hang in there okay Nick?” I pulled him in for a hug. It brought me back to a time when we first started or first tour as the Backstreet Boys and how homesick Nick was.

“I want to home Brian, I don’t want to do this.”

“Nick, you’re just scared and homesick. Do you love when we’re on stage?”

“Yeah but every other time just…sucks.”

“It will get better, give it time. I’m here too and pretty soon you’ll be thinking of me like your very own brother.”

“I already do.” Nick pulled me into a hug, his arms wrapping around me as though I were all he had.

“It’s going to be okay Fack.”

“I know Frick thanks.”

“You will be?” Nick's voice brought me out of my day dream.

“Of course Nick, why do you act surprised?”

“Because I screwed up and the way you’ve been with Hailes…it just seemed as though you hated me.”

“Nick, you’ve screwed up many other times before this and I never have once even though of hating you. You know that she just needed a little extra support after everything she has been through, you know of everyone that she’s not one to open up.” Nick nodded his head. “I’ll call you when I’m on my way over.” I picked the bag off of the bed and walked out the door with the envelope in hand.