- Text Size +
Hailey’s POV

“So you will call me when you get home?” Brian asked me for the tenth time.

“Yes B, I promise.”

“I’m going to come visit you in a couple weeks okay?”

“I’d like that. Thank you for everything Bri..I don’t know what I would’ve done or if I’d even be here.”

“You would be here if I weren’t. You’re a strong person, don’t you ever forget that.”

“I’m going to miss you.”

“No, you won’t. You’ll get sick of me calling you every hour.”

“Now boarding Charleston, South Carolina.” The announcer came over the speakers.

“That’s me.” I shrugged my shoulders. Brian pulled me in for a hug.

“If you need me to fly down, I’m just a call away.” He kissed my cheek. “Here read this on the plane.” He stuck an envelope in my backpack.

“Love you B.”

“Love you.” I walked down the terminal wanting to cry and to run back to Brian…where it felt safe, ask him to take me to Nick. A flight attendant helped me to my seat and took my crutches to store them away in the cargo area. I buckled my seat belt and took out the envelope Brian had given me. My name was written in the middle and I knew right away it was Nick’s hand writing. I swallowed hard and took a deep breath as I opened it up.

Hailes,

This is my hundredth time attempting to write you this letter. I think I’ve gone through a whole stack of paper but I just can’t get seem to get out the perfect words for such a perfect person like you. Where do I start after all this? I love you? I think you still know deep down in your heart that I truly do love you. I miss you? Yes, it’s undeniable that I miss you because the dark circles under my eyes show the lack of sleep and endless thinking of you. I don’t miss you because I can’t have you right now, I miss you for all of the reasons I’d miss you even if you were only gone for a day.

I Nickolas Gene Carter screwed up. No doubt to that and I could take this time and write about how if I could turn back time, I’d do things differently that night and would have never left you. But I can’t and I can’t take back the pain I have caused you. I can’t take back the fact that I can’t be there for you during this unbelievable hard time you’re going through and the fact that Brian is there for you and I’m not only gives me a tenth of peacefulness.

That night, with Amber, it meant nothing to me and there is nothing I can do or say to prove it to you. I can say it over and over and fill your room with roses and write you a song to try to win your heart back but I know you and you’re not a sucker for that kind of stuff. You needed me the most that night and I wasn’t there. That night with you however, did mean everything. To hear you sing and play the guitar filled me with such happiness and at that moment I knew…I knew that you were and are the woman for me Hailey. I however now do not deserve you and I’ve cried a night of endless tears and my heart shatters just a little more whenever I smell you on my pillows or see your things around my house…my house that felt like ours.

If its time and space that you need, its yours. If its me being there for you, all you have to do is ask. You have been gone for only a day and it feels like eternity. I feel like that Bloom guy in the third Pirates, how I won’t be able to see you for ten years. But for love, I’d wait. I’m not going to give up, not now nor ever. I’ll wait forever.

Hailey Marie, I love you, I loved you before I knew you, I loved you when we were together and I will forever love you even if you’re not in my arms.

Take care of yourself.

Love always,

Nickolas

Ch. 40

I don’t remember how many times I read the letter before I got into South Carolina. I think read it over and over until the plane landed, not sleeping a wink. Before getting off the plane I shoved the letter back into my backpack.

“HAILEY!” it was my best friend from home Kara.

“Kare bear!” we hugged each other and went to baggage claim.

“You look good girl…considering, well, you know.” Her voice trailed off and I knew was being careful.

“I’m not glass, I wont break, that bag is mine,” I pointed to the maroon suitcase. She took it off the belt and we headed out to her car.

“Are you okay with walking and everything? I didn’t exactly get a close spot.”

“Nah I’m fine, it’s good for me.”

“So, back to your place or mine?”

“I’d kinda like to go home, you didn’t tell Nathan about everything did you?”

“No, but he’s going to wonder about your knee, especially if you need another surgery.”

“That will be no problem, telling him about the accident I had while playing basketball or something.” We made it to her Explorer and got in.

“Has Nick tried contacting you?” Kara asked starting up the SUV.

“He wrote me a letter…”

“Confessing how sorry he was and his love for you?”

“Yeah but they’re only words. I’m done and moving on. I won’t put myself in a relationship like that again. Me being away, he’ll forget about me and everything, no big deal.” Kara squeezed my hand and drove me home.
Once inside, I went to my room and began sorting my clothes for laundry. As I unloaded my backpack I came across the letter again.

“Goodbye Nick,” I tossed the letter into the trash and finished unpacking.

“Hey you alright?” Kara asked taking a seat on my bed.

“You know what? I’m going to be. Back home, back to before the tour, it’s going to be alright.” It’s going to be alright.

The End