- Text Size +
I knocked on room 302, the number that Brian had given me with a plastic bag in one hand and a first aid kit in the other. Nick came to the door. He had changed from his navy blue suit and baby blue shirt, to his North Carolina sweat pants and a white t-shirt.

“Hey you,” I smiled.

“Hi, I wasn’t expecting anyone to come over.”

“Oh, I know. I thought I would check and see how you were feeling. I brought the rest of your dinner in case you get hungry…and I’m sorry but I’m nurse so I have to check your stats,” I said the last part in a serious tone, trying not to laugh.

“Well, nurse Hailey please come on in,” Nick held the door open for me and we went over to his bed. The TV was on and “Bruce Almighty” was playing.

“I love this movie!” I exclaimed and opened the first aid kit. “Okay, just checking your temp. Open up,” I held the thermometer in front of his face and stuck it under his tongue when he opened his mouth. I put my hand on his forehead a second and looked him over. “You don’t feel warm, but I could be wrong. My hands are cold in the extreme heat.” A minute later I took out the thermometer and read it. “Normal, does your stomach hurt?” I looked at Nick and he rolled to his side facing the television.

“Nick?”

“Look, I’m fine. Why don’t you go get ready and have fun with the others? It’s almost ten and time for the pool. Thank you for coming to check on me, that was sweet.” Nick’s eyes didn’t come off of the screen.

“Alright well just get some sleep; we have a full day of dress rehearsal tomorrow. I know we just met and all but I am only two doors down from you, 304, so if you need anything…”

“Thank you.” I nodded my head and went to my room to get my suit on. My mind kept thinking of Nick. I knew that something else was wrong and only could hope that he would talk to me…or at least someone else. I had just finished tying the top of my white bikini when I heard a knock on my door. I quickly walked over to the door, thinking it was Nick and opened it.

“Katie hi. What’s up?”

“C’mon play time! Grab your towel let’s go! Damn girl you have a long pair of legs, toned legs too if I don’t mind me saying.” I laughed and took my “Finding Nemo” towel out of my bag. “Nick’s going to like what he sees!”

“Nick isn’t coming, he’s still not feeling well I guess.”

“Oh, bummer, well Howie will be there and mmm he’s so fine. I get to see him with his shirt off!” Katie pretended to faint and fell into my arms.

“Okay, down girl.” The two of us went down to the pool to find the other guys and dancers already in and having fun.

“About time you two got here…now you both are too dry but I will take are of that,” Howie came up to us, and I saw Katie’s eyes look him up and down. I thought as though she would really pass out for real. Howie picked up Katie and jumped into the deep end of the pool with her in his arms. I smiled and felt happy for her. Maybe the two of them could start something this summer. I put my things down in a chair, as well as Katie’s and walked over to the steps of the shallow end.

“Okay time for us to act like teenagers and to play chicken!” A.J. announced and had his girlfriend Naomi get onto his shoulders. “Partner up!” He announced and we all tried to match up to one another.

“Hey how was Nick doing?” Brian asked swimming up to me.

“Oh, he seemed okay. I think his stomach might be upset or something. No fever or anything.”

“That’s good. I’ll have to check in on him before bed. He hasn’t been himself lately. But hey, hop onto my shoulders.” So, I did and could only think of how cute Brian was. Too bad that he was married and has a baby already. That is why his wife Leigh Anne couldn’t come on the tour because of their new baby boy.
Katie was on Howie’s shoulders, and Amber was on Kevin’s shoulders. Because were short one guy Teale got onto Trista’s shoulders. All four girls fought to knock the other off their partner’s shoulders and in the end it was Amber and I.

“Okay let’s see what you got,” I said playfully.

“Knock her down girl,” Brian told me and I grabbed onto Amber’s arms as she grabbed onto mine.
“Even if I win, it’s nothing compared to what you did to me,” Amber said almost in a whisper so that I was the only one could hear her.

“What does that mean?” I asked and before she answered I was pushed over with a hard shove. Brian lost his balance and fell backwards. It wouldn’t have been a bad fall, except for the fact we were too close to the edge of the pool. I felt my head hit the cement and then all was black.
~*~*~*~*~*~
“Careful don’t move her too much. Keep her head stable,” Kevin said taking charge. Brian held my head as A.J. and Kevin laid me on the ground.

“Hailes, come on wake up, we should get some help,” Brian looked up at his cousin. Just as Kevin stood up I opened my eyes.

“Hailey, can you hear me?” Brian asked.

“Yeah, what happened?” I started to sit up but Brian pushed my shoulders down.

“Don’t move you might have hurt your neck.”

“No, I’m okay. I have a rather excruciating headache but my neck is fine. I take it we didn’t win Bri?” I sat up slowly with Kevin’s help. Everyone laughed but still uneasily. “Seriously, I’m okay. Sorry to ruin the fun guys.”

“Oh thank goodness you’re okay. I feel so horrible, I didn’t know you were so close to the ledge,” Amber said with tears in her eyes. I raised my eyebrow at her remembering the last thing she had said to me.

“Come on let’s get you some ice. We aught to make sure you don’t have a concussion though. I’ll stay with you so you don’t fall asleep,” Katie held my hand and smiled at me. I stood up slowly with Katie and Brian’s help but the room began to spin and fade in and out. My knees buckled and my two new friends helped me before I fell onto them.

“Whoa there, easy now. Maybe we should take you to the hospital? Just to get you checked out.”

“Brian no, I’m fine, I’m a nurse you know. I just need to lay down with some ice.” He stared into my eyes for a minute to see if I was telling the truth and then nodded his head. Kevin wrapped a towel around me and gave Katie my things.

“Have Brian and Katie help you up to the room. We should all go get some sleep anyway; we have to rehearsal at nine am, at the dance studio down the street be there on time!” Kevin looked directly into A.J.s eyes as he told us.

“Hey, I am always on time.”
“Don’t worry I’ll get him there by 8:45 Kev,” Naomi put her arms around A.J.’s waist. We all walked to the elevators and waited to go up to our rooms.

“How’s the head?” Brian asked still having his arm around me for balance.

“Eh, I’ve hit it worse,” I shrugged my shoulders and we got onto the elevator. We walked down the hall only to find Nick walking out of his room with an ice bucket.

“Hey how was swimming?” He asked.

“Good up to the point this one got knocked unconscious,” Katie laughed a little. “Geeze ruining the fun already…I’m just teasing.”

“What happened, are you okay Hailey?” Nick looked at me with concern in his pools of blue.

“Yeah, just a friendly game of chicken turned into me falling back and hitting my head on the cement. I need to lay down though guys,” I said leaning back onto Brian. My eyes felt heavy and I just wanted to go to sleep.

“Nope, you’re staying awake for at least an hour; you so called nurse should know this. Nick, why don’t you come and get her ice bucket?” Katie asked.

“Yeah of course, I’ll fill mine up and just bring it over,” Nick took off quickly to the ice machine and I was taken to my room. I sat on my bed and Brian got me bottled water with two aspirin.

“Thank you,” I looked at the both of them.

“Okay, well, I am going to hit the sack. I’m across Nick’s room if you need anything. Sorry this had to happen the first day,” Brian said sweetly and sincerely.

“It’s okay, I had to make some entrance for you guys to get to know me, goodnight Bri,” he gave me a hug and walked out. Just as he walked out Nick came in with a bucket of ice.

“I’m going to go put my PJ’s on, which you should too. I’ll be back and I’ll just crash in here tonight to make sure you’re okay,” Katie told me and I told her “okay”. Nick had disappeared into the bathroom and came back with a towel full of ice.

“Where did you hit your head?” He asked me sitting on my bed. I pointed to the back of my head and he moved my hair back a bit. “Ouch, that’s a goose egg and you cut it open a bit.”

“Yeah, that figures,” I winced a little as Nick placed the ice on my head.
“Oh, sorry.”

“No, thank you for taking care of me,” I said looking up into his eyes.

“Well, you came and checked up on me. I had to return the favor…I just didn’t think it would be this soon,” he laughed a little. “Do you want me to get your PJ’s?”

“Actually, all my stuff is still in my suitcases,” I pointed to the bags on the floor. I bent down to unzip one but my head began to throb and I held my hand up to my head. “Ahh dammit.”


“Are you okay? Here sit back, I’ll unzip them and find you something,” Nick put my pillows up against my headboard and had me sit against them. He brought up one of my suit cases and looked into it. “Yeah, maybe you should do this tomorrow. Here how about a big T-shirt and boxers. I’ll be right back.” Before I could say anything Nick left my room and came back shortly with a white t-shirt and boxers. “They’re clean, trust me.”

“Sure they are,” I said sarcastically, placed the ice on my night stand and stood up. I went into the bathroom to change and when I came out Katie and Nick were talking. I walked in front of them, spun around and posed. “Well, how do they look?”

“Better on me,” Nick laughed.

“Hmm, I don’t know they seem to fit you just right, in that baggy, over sized way,” Katie said.

“Okay, I’m tired time for bed. I am fine, just come wake me up in the morning please. Katie go sleep in your own bed, I tend to sleep on top of the person I am with.”

“Are you sure? I don’t mind.”

“Yes, thank you. Goodnight. I’m glad we’ve become friends so quickly,” I smiled to her and gave her a hug. “And thank you Nick, I hope to become closer friends with you through this tour,” I gave him a hug.

“I would like the same,” he smiled and the two exited the room.