- Text Size +
We had been doing dress rehearsal for five hours now, mostly fixing the costumes and some sound checking with the boys but as far the dancing was going, it seemed to be running smoothly. My head still had the giant goose egg that only hurt when I touched it; but other than that I felt fine. I did however still felt this strange vibe around Amber and couldn’t help but not to trust her. It was three thirty when we were told we were good for the night and tomorrow would be a great open to the tour.

“Okay for everyone’s hard work, there is a buffet back stage by the trailers. Help yourselves to as much food as you want, and we will all be here tomorrow at 2 pm for sound check before the concert,” Graig one of the tour managers came out and spoke to all of us who were laying around on the stage exhausted.

“Mm, food time!” Katie jumped up from the ground.

“I’m too tired to eat,” Teale said as she slumped over Trista.

“I’m never too tired to eat, fella’s lets go,” A.J. said as him and Howie took off to get their food. Soon, everyone else began to follow and I saw Nick start to walk the opposite way. I got up off the ground and jogged over to him.

“Hey darling, where you going?”

“Back to the hotel.”

“Come get some food first silly.”

“Eh, not hungry.”

“Come on Nick, you didn’t eat breakfast with us and dinner last night. You need something for energy.” Nick stopped in his tracks and sighed. “Something’s wrong, what is it? Should I get Brian?”

“NO! I mean no, I’m fine thank you,” Nick turned and looked at me.

“Come with me, please?” I took his hand in mine without thinking and butterflies began to swim in my stomach.

“Alright, maybe a little something.” I smiled and he smiled back. We walked together to the buffet, still holding hands. It seemed natural for us to hold hands and I doubt either of us thought much about it. We walked up to the line, I handed Nick a plate and we started walking down the buffet. I put a spoonful of fruit on my plate and a handful of salad.

“Is that all you’re eating?” Nick asked me.

“Yeah, I’m not that big of an eater,” I told him.

“You only had a bagel for breakfast today though,” Nick looked at me questioningly.

“That’s a bagel more than you had! C’mon you.” Nick too put some fruit and salad on his plate and we each grabbed a water bottle. We went over to where Brian was sitting with Kevin, Fatima and some other people I weren’t sure who they were.

“Nick you still not feeling well?” Brian asked looking at Nick’s plate of food.

“Yeah, the stomach’s off a little still, I don’t want to over do it,” Nick didn’t look at Brian as he told his best friend this.

“And what’s your excuse?”

“For what Brian?”

“You’re eating just as much as he is, maybe less.”

“I’m just not a big eater and it’s only almost four, lunch.”

“Yes, but it’s almost five too, and that’s dinner!” Brian put a spoonful of macaroni and cheese in his mouth. “And this is good want some?” He asked with his mouthful.

“Eh, no thanks. That’s all yours,” I laughed and ate my salad. After I was done eating, I got up and threw away my plate. Just as I was throwing away my plate Amber was as well.

“How’s your head?” She asked almost sweetly.

“Better thank you,” I said with a half smile.

“That’s too bad,” she said smugly and walked away.

~*~*~*~
Two weeks has gone by since the beginning of the tour started. Our first show was amazing and we managed to get through it without too many problems. I think nerves got to the best of us if anything but we did all okay. We were now in Ohio and had two days off before our next show that would be held in Ohio.

We were all really becoming rather close with one another which was great because when you’re out on the road for as long as you, you really need a family like atmosphere. I am not usually one to become involved with people that I work with, but I did find myself falling for Nick. There was still something about him that he was being honest about, to me, Brian or himself. Katie has become my best friend on tour which has truly been a gift because of problems I have had back home. It was a rainy day in Cincinnati and everyone just chilled around in their hotel rooms, making phone calls, catching up on much needed sleep, some of the girls went shopping, we all did our own thing. I was in Nick’s room watching cartoons and we just talked to one another.

“Loony toons is much better than Disney cartoons Nick, even though Goofy is the best, Loony is well loony. Sort of like you,” I laughed.

“Takes one to know one,” Nick shot back.

“Oh, that was clever. Okay, I’m bored of T.V. get off your butt.”

“What are we going to do?”

“Hmm, I could think of some interesting things…” I said in a sexy tone.

“Oh really now?”

“Yes, like getting down to the weight room. Put on your sneaks let’s go!”

“Actually that sounds good. So, on the bench or treadmill?”

“Doing what?” I asked tying up my laces. Nick raised his eye brows up and down. “Ha Carter, maybe in your dreams.” We grabbed two water bottles and headed down.

“What do you want to do first?” Nick asked me looking around the facility.

“Let’s run for 30 mins, and then do arms, since we use our legs all the time for dancing.”

“Sound like a plan.” Nick and I walked over to the treadmills. The place was fairly empty besides an elderly couple using the bicycles and a couple using the free weights. Nick and I started off jogging slowly and then began to increase our speed.

“How are you doing?” I asked looking over at Nick.

“Great, you should get me to come with you on your daily runs.”

“I would love the company,” I smiled back.

“That’s why you’re in such good shape…maybe I could slim down eventually,” Nick told me almost sadly.

“Nick, you look great. I’d do you,” I joked and gave him a wink.

“Not once you saw what’s underneath these clothes,” he said back. I couldn’t understand why Nick was being hard on himself. As we continued to run, Amber, Teale and some other guy practically all over Amber walked into the weight room.

“Hey guys!” Teale waved to us and they walked over. “Funny how we work out on our days off isn’t it?” Teale said.

“Yeah, well Hailey is a compulsive when it comes to working out, isn’t that right Hails?” Amber looked into my eyes coldly when she told me this.

“Amber what is your deal with me? I haven’t done anything to you,” I responded trying to keep calm. She only shook her head and walked over to an elliptical.

“I think she just needs to get some,” Teale whispered to us, Nick and I laughed. Teale walked away and joined Amber.

“I thought you told me you didn’t know anyone except for Fatima when you came?”

“Yeah, I don’t but Amber for some reason seems to think she knows me…” my voice trailed off.

“So, you like to work out a lot?”

“Yeah, I sort of have to. Hey just five more minutes of running.” I smiled up to Nick. He wasn’t paying attention at this point; he had his eyes shut tight. “Nick, five minutes isn’t that long you can do it.” He shook his head no. “What’s wrong?”

“I don’t know…I just, everything’s spinning, Hailey I can’t—,” Nick clenched the two side rails and I hit his stop button. I hit mine after and quickly got behind him.

“Teale get over here please,” I yelled behind my back. I had my arms underneath Nick’s and he began to sit on the treadmill.

“What’s going on?” Teale asked coming up to me.

“I’m not sure. Nicky, what do you feel?”

“Spinning and I’m hot…my eyes, they’re going dark when I open them.”

“Get his water bottle; it’s on the floor right there. Nick put your head in between your knees; I think you just over did it. Keep breathing for me alright? There you go. Here drink some water,” I handed him the bottle. I felt his forehead which seemed to be burning up. “Could you go get a towel soaked in cold water please?” Teale nodded her head and I began to take Nick’s pulse. “Your pulse is slowing down, how are you feeling?”

“A little better, I feel really drained.” Teale came back with the towel and I laid it across his neck.

“Are you still spinning?”

“No.”

“Do you think you could stand up? I’d like to get you to your room.” Nick nodded his head and Teale and I helped him up.

“Watch out for that one, she’ll work you until your dead,” Amber said walking by us and over to the machines. I ignored what she said so I could just concentrate on Nick.

“I feel so weak Hales,” Nick said almost in a child’s voice.

“Its okay sweetie, you’re fine. Put your arms around mine and Teale’s okay? There ya are, we’re just going to go to your room so you can lie down,” I told him as calmly as possible. That’s the first thing they teach you when going for nursing, to keep the patient calm. We headed for the elevator and as we were getting on, Brian was getting off talking on his cell phone.

“Hey guys, wait what’s wrong Nick?” Brian asked looking at me.

“He got light headed while we were running, I think he over did it. I’m just going to have him go lie down,” I told Brian holding Nick up.

“Guy’s I don’t feel like I can stand much longer,” Nick said hanging his head down.

“Here let me help you Teale,” Brian got in Teale’s spot and put Nick’s other arm around him. “You’re okay buddy; we’ll get a doctor to come so you don’t have to go deal with the hospital.” We got Nick up to his room as quickly as we could and laid him on his bed. I took off his shoes and socks and had Brian get him some fresh water and cold towels.

“Nick, when is the last time you ate?” I asked sitting next to him on the bed, taking his hand in mine. His eyes shot open and looked at me for a second, then turned away. “Nick it’s important for me to know this. You didn’t eat today did you?” He shook his head no slowly and I saw a tear stray down the corner of his eye. I knew exactly what that tear was for, it was the same tears I cried so many nights in a row when I was younger and even a few times now. It was at that moment that my heart broke for him and I fell in love.