- Text Size +
“Wow,” was all Brian said when I was done singing.

“I know, a lot out of practice and out of tune.” I set the guitar down and stood up.

“No, you’re, that was…wow,” Brian shook his head. “I didn’t know you could sing?”

“Not many do,” I winked and walked out of the room. I started going downstairs, holding tightly on the railing I stepped my right leg down. As soon as I bent it, it felt as though it were going to shoot out behind me. “Oh, hell,” I tried to go down hopping on one foot.

“What in the world are you doing?” Nick asked.

“Coming down stairs, duh,” I laughed and stood up at the end.
“I’m taking you into town to the hospital to get it looked at.”

“Nick, they’ll do an x-ray, give me an immobilizer so my knee doesn’t bend and a pair of crutches. They’ll say everything in the x-ray looks good but I’ll need an MRI. That takes a few weeks to set up then another week at least to get it read. It feels better with the brace on; it was just hard to bend my knee so far in the brace down the steps.” I headed for the kitchen. “Could I have some juice?”

“You’re really a pain in the ass ya know that right?” I grinned brightly at him as he walked over to the fridge.

“You love me,” I sat down and looked outside. I saw Kevin walking towards the door. Nick handed me some juice.

“Pancakes?” Nick asked.

“Umm—“

“Nick I have to go to the horses and—“ Brian said coming into the kitchen wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

“HORSES! You have horses? Nick you didn’t tell me. Brian let me come please, pretty, please?” I walked over to him. I gave me him my best puppy dog look.

“How can I say no with that face? Do you ride?”

“I used to, can you ride yours?”

“Yeah come on. Nick you coming?”

“Like you said, how can you say no to that face?” Kevin came in.

“Hey Kev, we’re going to the horses, want to go for a ride?”

“Sure, I just came back from feeding them actually so by the time we get everything ready, they should be done.”

“Hope on.” Nick got in front of me and crouched down. “It’s a far walk and the ground is uneven.” I didn’t argue but hopped onto Nick’s back for a piggy back ride. “You’re eating when we get back.” He told me and we all began making the walk.

We arrived to the large barn where they kept five horses. The barn was in the back just before a set of woods lie. “Hales you ride Rosebud, she’s gentle.” He patted a light brown horse with blonde mane. I got off Nick’s back and walked over to her and began petting.

“She’s beautiful Bri.” Kevin and Brian moved around the bars as though they’ve been doing this for years and prepared the saddle, reins, and bit for the horses. I saw Nick take his phone out and open it up, he then walked over to Kevin and Brian to show them something. They each glanced at me briefly and walked in the back a little.

Nick’s POV:

I felt my phone vibrate in my jean pocket and took it out. A text.

U can run but U can’t hide…say hello to Brian and Kevin.

I went over to the guys to show them.

“What the hell am I supposed to do? This phone number does not look like a phone number.”

“Nick it looks like it was sent from a computer. I don’t know man, I just don’t know how serious to take this.” Kevin said putting a saddle up onto a black horse.

“I’m not going to show it to her, let’s just have a relaxing two days before the show.” I closed my phone and put it away.

“You ready babe?” Nick asked.

“Yeah, what were you showing the guys?”

“Oh, A.J. just sent us a text letting us know they got to their new hotel.”

“Good. I’ll have to call Katie later.” She smiled. I hated lying to her but I just didn’t want her to worry. Brian brought her horse around. I watched as she stepped her left foot in the stirrup and bring her right leg up. She took the reins in her left hand and placed her right hand on the horn of the saddle.

“Looks like we have a pro.” Brian laughed and got out a horse for Nick, Kevin was already on the white horse.

“Kevin you look like a Prince up there,” Hailey laughed walking her horse out of the barn. I got up on the horse Brian brought out and we started walking the horses.

“We’ll go on the trail up there. We can jog them a little after we get past the first clearing.” Brian told us and took the lead. Hailey followed behind, then myself and Kevin in the back.

“Brian this is amazing,” I heard Hailey tell him.

“It is. I miss having horses. My Mom always had them since she was a little girl. I bought her the one you’re on.”

“That was sweet of you.”

“Everyone okay with picking up a little speed?” Brian had pulled his horse to the side and was facing all of us. “Nick?”

“Yeah, I’m fine, I’m not on the crazy horse this time.”

“What crazy horse?” Hailey asked laughing.

“Brian put me on this crazy horse that took off and wouldn’t stop.”

“Nick actually you are on her.”

“WHAT?!” I yelled.

“You’ll be fine, she was just spooked and that was a year ago! Let’s go.” I was definitely going to have to get Brian later for this one. He picked up the pace to a trot and then we were all jogging. I was bouncing all over the saddle but Hailey moved with ease on her horse. Her body went with the rhythm, her long hair flowing behind her. I was so into the way she handled her horse that I didn’t notice the log that had fallen and Brian and Hailey had to jump over. My horse went up on her back legs, jumped over the log and took off.

“NOT AGAIN!” I yelled back.

“NICK PULL THE REINS BACK!” I heard Brian yell to me. I tried; these breaks were not working…once again. Before I knew it Hailey and her horse were caught up to me and was reaching for the reins up close to horses mouth and pulled back.

“Whoa girl,” I heard her say and the horse slowed down to a halt. “Easy there,” she ran her hand through the horses mane. Brian and Kevin came up to where we had stopped.

“Who taught you how to ride?” Kevin asked Hailey.

“Kara…eh, um, my friend used to have horses. We used to ride all the time.” Hailey climbed off her horse.

“What are you doing?” I asked her.

“Get off.”

“Excuse me?”

“Nick get off, I’ll ride your horse.”

“Fine by me!” I got off the horse and watched her get on. I got onto Rosebud, who was smaller than the horse I was but she obviously knew what she was doing better than I.

“Is that a creek up there?” Hailey asked Brian.

“Yeah, we can go over. There’s also a water fall on the other side that’s beautiful.” We followed Brian to running brook, got off our horses and tied them up to a fallen tree. The horses took this time and drank the water.

“Brian, remember when we jumped it?” Kevin asked as the four of us made our way over to the water fall.

“That was a few years back. I can’t believe you did it.” We got up to the waterfall and peered over. There was quite a long drop but the waters were deep at the bottom with a grassy meadow on each side of it. Hailey was standing a few feet behind all of us.

“Hale’s come look at the view.” I reached my hand out to her.

“I can hear it.”

“Come see it silly.” I went over to her and took her hand. She let me pull her up closer but not as close to where Brian and Kevin were. I gave her a look of questioning.

“I-I’m not a fan of heights.”

“You were a gymnast what do you mean not a fan of heights?” I asked

“Yeah, but I was in control of where my body was going. I have no control if I fall over that ledge.” Her arms were crossed in front of her now.

“It’s okay honey, I’m not going to let you fall or anything else happen to you.” I reached my hand back out and she hesitated for a moment before taking it. I wrapped my arms around her waste.

“It is a beautiful.” She whispered and rested her head back onto me.

“Alright let’s go back. Aunt Jackie and Uncle Harold are probably back and I know they want to meet you Hailey.” Kevin announced. Hailey lifted her head off my shoulder and immediately laid it back down, shutting her eyes tight.
“What’s wrong? Did you look over too far?” I asked her still holding her waist.

“Uh-yeah that’s it.” Her breathing became deeper and a little faster.

“You really do not like heights do you girl, you’re really pale.” Brian asked walking past us. I looked at her and her eyes were still closed.

“Do you feel okay?” I asked and she turned her body so it was facing in towards me, her arms now wrapped around my neck. I felt her body tremble in my arms. I picked her up into my arms and brought her over to the horses. I put her on the ground and helped her get up onto the horse. “Better now?” She smiled and nodded her head; I saw something different in her eyes though.

We got on the horses and rode back home with a nice trot.

Hailey’s POV

The Littrell family was incredibly kind to me during our stay. It was good to be able to relax a couple days and have a home cooked meal.

We were at the concert venue preparing for the night’s concert. My knee was feeling better. I had rested it and iced and put heat on it for the last two days. I was wearing my brace still only because I didn’t want to take any chances. I’d only take it off for a couple of the routines, where the music was slow and dancing was light, more of a ballet routine.

“Hale’s want to push me down, my split wont go in,” Katie said trying to bounce up and down in her right leg split. I laughed because she looked like a rubber doll. I pressed downon her shoulders and she was in her split.

“I’ll help you more with that later,” Howie winked at her and gave her a brief kiss.

“Ugh some things, aren't not meant to be heard," I laughed and began stretching myself.

“Hailey James?” A crew member with a clipboard and head phones came up to me.

“That’s me.”

“This just came for you.” He handed me a manila envelope.

“Thank you.” I opened it up carefully and pulled it’s contents out. There was a letter and pictures. I looked at the pictures and felt my heart begin to race a little. There were pictures of Nick and I getting into the van the night we went to Brian’s, of Nick carrying me into Brian’s house, of the four of us riding horses and a picture of—

“Who are those from?” Katie had been standing over my shoulder and I didn’t notice. “Hey that picture looks like it was taken today, when we got here at the venue. I passed the pictures over to Katie and began reading the letter.

Dear Hailey,

I just want to know that you have been warned a generous amount and that I will not be so kind as so the next time we meet. I’ve been watching you since day one, told you to stay away from Nick. Not only for your safety but for his as well.

Looks like the knee is feeling better from the fall you took on the basket ball court. That’s a shame. Let’s hope for your sake and for Nick’s that the show goes smoothly and you don’t make me upset.
Best of luck tonight…break a leg.

X

“Hales what’s wrong?” Katie asked looking at my hands that were now shaking.

“Umm-I have to- ”

“Ladies time for group circle,” a stage crew member told us. I shoved the contents quickly into the envelope and went over to the circle.

“There’s my girl!” Nick picked me up and spun me around and kissed my cheek. “What’s that in your hand?” He took it from me before I could say anything and looked at it. His eyes grew big and then anger pierced through them. “Where did you get this?”

“The crew director brought it over to me a couple minutes ago, I didn’t have time to show you ...” Nick stormed off into some direction.

“Nick we have to go in five minutes where are you going? NICK?!” Brian called and followed him. I knew I should’ve found Nick sooner but there just wasn’t time and now the show was going to start.

“Hailey what’s going on do you know?” Kevin asked me and I gave him a summary of what just happened. “Okay, I’ll tell them to delay another few moments. It’s going to be fine, no worries.” He squeezed my shoulder and I began to pace around.

A few minutes later Nick came back out.

“Show must go on.” He said. He looked angry, was he mad at me? He didn’t have a reason.

“Nick I’m— ”

“They’re getting more security around the stage, you’re, I’m, we’re going to be fine.” He pulled a fake smile.

We did our group prayer; I got in my position for the opening tumbling pass. I let my nerves get the best of me and only threw a back tuck. The show actually was going rather smoothly. After the first three songs, I began to relax and noticed Nick had too. I was in the middle of changing into my next outfit when I heard Brian’s voice come over the speakers.

“Hey ya’ll!! I just want to thank everyone for being here, in my home town!” The crowd yelled. “Today is special because my parents are here in the crowd, hi Mom and Dad!” He waved to the couple in the front row. “Who all is familiar with my song, ‘That’s What She Said?’” The crowd grew louder. “Tonight, I’m going to be singing it a duet with a very talented young lady. Her name is Hailey James and is one of our all start dancers. Hailey please come out!” Before I knew it, I had someone ushering me out onto stage and I was slipping my shirt over head still when I hit the stage.

“Hailey, you know you’re supposed to get dressed in the dressing room and not on stage,” Brian asked passing me the microphone.

“Well, Brian, if you would’ve told me about this duet of ours earlier and not thirty seconds ago, I would’ve been ready sooner, and had time to put on my shoes!” The crowd laughed.

“You know how I love surprises,” he grinned his big stupid, silly grin.

“Oh, I know, that’s why you’ll get one from me in the middle of the night.”

“Can’t wait,” he winked. “So, how about you sing a song with me?”

“Uh-sure why not?” Brian handed took my hand over to where two stools sat at the front of the stage, with two guitars and two microphones. I wasn’t sure how exactly this work, no rehearsal, I haven’t played the guitar in a year besides the other day but I’m always up for a challenge. Brian counted to three and we both began strumming our guitars. He nodded to me to start singing first:

Yeah yeah yeah yeah

There are people who say what you wanna hear,
even on a rainy day they'll tell you the sky is clear.
When you really really love someone am I right
when I say that you want them near?
And if can’t even tell them things
that they wanna hear— Brian started singing next

Always for ever
one thing she said
never say never
the simple lies that she said I will never leave you
all the love I thought she had
but can you blame me no
cause that’s what she said
that’s what she said
she told me we'd see forever
that’s what she said she said yeah.

Hailey:
There are people
who say what they really mean,
she said she'd always be there,
she said she'd always care,
but just when you think that you can trust that someone you love
tell me why do you know that stars can fall from above?

Always forever
Brian:
one thing she said,
Hailey:
never say never.
Brian:
Those simple lies that she said,
Hailey:
I will never leave you,
Brian:
all the love I thought she had
Both:
but can you blame me no
mm



’cause that’s what she said
that’s what she said
she told me we'd see forever.
that’s what she said
ooh ooh ohho yeah
that’s what she said
she told me we'd be together
that’s what she said she said
Hailey:
’Cause you made promises that you couldn't keep
but you're not hurting yourself
you're only hurting me
Why would you say things that you really didn't mean?
Oh how can I make you see just what you did to me?
Brian:
Ooh you said how much you really care,
just when I thought I was in love
girl how could you care
if I were you I could not lie even once to the face of the one
that I love so much?
Both:
Always forever,
one thing she said
never say never
those simple lies she said.
I will never leave you
all the love I thought she had.
but can you blame me no
mm
cause that’s what she said
that’s what she said
she told me we're see forever
that’s what she said
ooh ooh yeah
that’s what she said
she told me we'd be together.
oh that’s what she said…

We ended the song together and the crowd cheered loud. I got this amazing rush from singing and playing.

“Thank you,” I said into the microphone and we exited the stage.

“Is there anything you can’t do?” Nick asked wrapping his arms around me.

“Hmm…nope.” I lent into him and kissed him hard.

“I would have to agree with that one. Mmm. You were terrific, Bri said you were good but I’ve never heard you until tonight.”

“You knew he was going to do this?” Nick smiled.

“Go get your shoes on, our song is on next.” Our song, “Beautiful Woman.” I ran to get my dancing heels, ran a brush through my hair and got into our poses.

B is for beautiful as the sunshine,
E tells me everything’s feeling alright
A comes to you and me
T is two, I want you
You’ve got me acting like a fooooll

As soon as Nick sang the last line, the lights went out, the emergency house lights came on and there was a loud crash.


Everything happened so fast yet seemed to go as slow as a dream. We did the lift, I got put down on the ground, Nick did his “You’ve got me acting like a fool” part and everything went black. Something fell, from the stage, the noise was so loud. I fell far and hard. Who was holding my head? Bubba. I looked up and saw the stage. I had fallen off the stage? I wasn’t ever near the edge? Everything kept going black and coming to. Screams, so many frightened screams of fans and cries. Nick? Where was Nick? The guys? I started breathing hard and coughing.

I tried to sit up but my shoulders were being pinned down. Everything hurt.

“Hailey stay calm honey it’s me Jackie, we’re getting you help.” She took my hand in hers.

“I can’t-br-breathe,” was I having an asthma attack? This felt different. “N-Nick?”

“We’re getting you help, don’t move,” I heard her tell me. The fans were being ushered out as quickly as possible from the arena. I heard sirens from a distance and everything went dark.

Brian’s POV

“GET THIS OFF HIM NOW!” I called to no one in particular. Kevin and I were trying to lift a boxed light that had fallen from the ceiling and onto Nick. It was pinning him from his hips down. It was too heavy for Kevin and I. “Nicky hang on buddy.” A.J. and Howie were trying to help as well and some other workers rushed over.

“On the count of three,” Kevin called out. “One-two-THREE!” We all lifted and tossed the light to the side.

“Nick wake up,” I knelt down by his head, tears stung my eyes, threatening to fall. Two paramedics were taking his stats. “How come there are only two of you, where are the rest?”

“A girl fell off the stage and another one got a piece of glass in her arm,” the guy putting a neck brace on Nick told me.

“Kevin?” I looked up at my cousin and he nodded his head.

“I’ll check it out.” He got up and walked off to the edge of the stage.

“Is he breathing?” I asked.

“Yeah, he’s knocked out but he may have a spinal injury.” They rolled a backboard under him. They lifted his lifeless body onto a stretcher and I went with them as the wheeled him away to the ambulance.

“Howie, I’m going with Nick, they’re taking him to Mercy General.”

“I think that’s where they took Hailey, your Mom went with her, your Dad is looking for you right now.”

“Hailey, what happened?”

“She fell off the stage, she wasn’t breathing man—”

“God…okay I’ll call my Dad, I’m going with Nick.”

“We’ll meet you there.”

*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~ At the Hospital~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
We arrived to the hospital fifteen minutes later; Nick was taken away with no time to ask questions. I went to the waiting room and took a seat. I called my Dad to let him know and he said he would be here soon and that my Mom should be there. I tried her cell phone next.

”Mom, where are you?” I asked her.

“Right behind you,” I looked behind me and she was walking down the hall. I stood up and gave her a hug. “I’m so glad you’re alright. How’s Nick?”

“I don’t know? He wasn’t awake still when he got here, hey may have a spinal injury. I don’t understand what happened?”

“I don’t know honey, I saw the light start to fall before the power went out.”

“How did Hailey fall?”

“Nick pushed her; she was in the path of the light. She fell though hard, she has a concussion and was unconscious when she came in.”

“Someone told me she wasn’t breathing.”

“She wasn’t, but they got her started again. Her heart gave out for some reason.”

“Her heart?” I sat down and put my face in my hands and said a prayer for my friends. Within an hour the guys showed up, were all placed into a private room to keep reporters out of the way. We had a source tell them to stay away from the hospitals and wouldn’t give out names. Press were the last thing we needed to deal with. We had officers come in and question all of us, Kevin talked about the photos and letters and psycho fan. Investigations were going on now at the arena. Nothing was my making sense and my head had a dull throbing pain as we waited in the waiting room.

A couple hours later a doctor came in.

“Are you here with Nick Carter and Hailey James?” He asked, removing his mask.

“How are they?” I stood right up. My Mom was holding my hand. Just as she did when I was in the hospital for my heart.

“Nick is going to be okay. Nothing is seriously damaged but is going to need some physical therapy. He has a fractured pelvis and a broken leg. It could’ve been much worse from what I hear. He’s awake right now they’re just finishing up putting a cast on him. He’ll have to stay here 48 hours for precaution because he did come with a bump on his head.”

“Thank God.” I heard everyone sigh a relief.

“Hailey?” Katie asked with Howie’s arms wrapped around her. She had tears falling down her face still.

“She’s in surgery right now. Are there any actual relatives in here of hers?”

“No sir, why?” I asked.

“Who is closest?” He asked. Eyes went on me and on Katie.

“Brian you go talk,” Katie sniffled out and I followed the doctor out of the waiting room.

“What’s going on Doctor?” I folded my arms across my chest. “Is she going to be alright?”

“She has a hear murmur and that is being taken care of right now. It’s a pretty simple procedure. However, Hailey also came in here mal-nourished. Does she have any diseases or anything?”

“No sir, not that I—” I thought of her and eating habits. “She used to have an eating disorder. But I think that was years ago.”

“It could be the reason her heart gave out so easily. She also has a dislocated knee and concussion. I’ll let you know as soon as she’s out of surgery.” I shook hand and thanked him. I went back to the room to let them know about her surgery and knee.

“Brian you can go in and see Nick, I went and saw him.” Kevin told me. I took a deep breath, got his room number and walked down the hall.

I walked into the room, saw a heart monitor hooked up to Nick, an IV and his leg in a cast up on a pillow. His eyes were shut and I walked up to his bed.

“Nick?” I whispered. His eyes fluttered open and looked around before meeting my eyes.

“Brian.”

“You’re going to be alright man. Doctors say you only have to be here for a couple days.” He nodded his head and winced as he tried to sit up a little. “Are you in a lot of pain?”

“Not too much, they gave me morphine. Brian, tell me about Hales?” I took in a deep breath and let it out slowly.

“She should be okay. She’s in surgery—”

“What?!”

“Relax Nicky. She has a small heart murmur. It gave out on her before getting to the hospital.”

“Do they know what’s it from?”

“Well, she could’ve been born with it, like me. But they also said she came in mal-nourished.” Nick looked puzzled. “I told them she used to have an eating disorder but she was over it. Nick does she still have a problem?”

“I haven’t seen her eat since your mom made dinner that first night. She’s good about getting away with it so I don’t notice.” He brought his hands to his face.

“Nick?”

“It’s my fault.” He whispered an silent tears rolled out of the corners of his eyes.

“No man, you saved her. That light would’ve been right on top of her directly.”

“I should’ve made her get help with the eating thing though.”

“You don’t know that’s what it is.”

“I’m scared Bri.”

“I know Nick. I know.” I put a hand on his shoulder.