- Text Size +
Three Years Later

Mark Grant stood in the gallery of the large convention center UNOS had choosen for their annual donor reunion. He'd been one of the first guests to arrive and had spent the last several hours helping the committee set up for the big event. He couldn't help but smile as he glanced around the room, taking in all of the decorations and witnessing the miracle of the entire ordeal as it came together before his eyes.

He'd waited three long years for this day, and as nervous as he might have been, he was far more excited. Excited to meet them. Excited to know them.

He walked slowly along the gallery wall of Lauren's artwork and photography and sighed as the memories came flooding back to him. He wished more than anything that she could be there to see her artwork displayed in public. It had always been a dream of hers to someday become a famous artist... she would have been so proud. He was proud.

He stood beside one of her larger photographs, a beautiful photo of a bald eagle taking flight, and stared at it for a long while. She'd captured that photo 10 years before when she was only 12 years old and they'd gone on a camping trip together. He'd remembered the day he developed the photos and saw it for the first time. That was the moment he realized her talent went far beyond a 12-year-old talent... the first time he realized that she saw life through completely different eyes than most children her age. He'd always been afraid she'd lose that perspective, but it was clear he had nothing to worry about. She never changed. He ran a finger across the photo and sighed. He missed her more everyday.

He turned to another wall and took in the sight of the 10 beautiful black and white portraits hanging in a row. Lauren's photo was the third to the left and she looked more than beautiful in it. He'd choosen his favorite photo of her... from her high school graduation. She'd always said it was the happiest day of her life and it showed in the photo. Her smile as wide as the Mississippi River... her eyes as bright as the sun. He wiped a tear from his cheek as he stood there for a moment trying to remember all of the good times they'd had together. He looked at all the other photos too, all ten donors. Some were older -- April Jackson from Tennessee -- she had lived for 40 years and donated her kidneys and her lungs when she'd died. Some were young like Lauren -- a 22-year-old from Oklahoma, Benjamin Price -- He'd donated his lungs, heart, and liver. And then he stopped in front of a picture that brought even more tears to his already dampened eyes. Cassidy Blaire -- 5-years-old. He shook his head. He would never understand. He'd felt robbed losing his daughter at 19... he could never even begin to imagine the pain of losing a child so young.

He shook his head trying to erase those horrible thoughts and turned towards the third wall in the room. This wall was covered with photos, some black and white, some color... all beautiful. These were the recipients. There were 27 photos on this wall, he'd counted at least fifteen times already as he'd looked them over trying to guess which ones he'd be meeting today -- which ones his Lauren had given her miracle to. He couldn't even begin to guess though. There were photos of babies and children, photos of familes and photos of parents with their kids. In each of those photos someone had been given a second chance because of one of those 10 donors. It amazed him to look back and forth from the one wall to the other. It amazed him to see that from those 10 donors... 27 lives were saved.

He stood there for the longest time admiring the photos until crowds of people began entering the room around him.

He never did figure out which of those people's lives his daughter had saved, but he'd be meeting them soon enough. He'd waited three long years to find out... he was more than ready to know.