- Text Size +
Addison -- "Well isn't this cozy?
Can I join in or are you not into threesomes?

Meredith -- I have to go.

Derek -- Meredith!...
(to Addison) "You really are Satan... you realize that right?
If Satan were to take a physical form he'd be you... everywhere... all the time.

Addison -- I am SO not Satan.

"Ugh!" The young blonde moaned rolling over in his bed and throwing a pillow across the room at the television set. "Niiiiiick!" he whined as his older brother stepped in from the hallway where he'd been talking on the phone for the past few minutes.

"What's wrong Air?" Nick asked, concerned at his brother's sudden change in attitude. Despite his condition, he was usually chipper and smiling.

"Make Angel turn this crap off... puhlease!"

Nick laughed as he turned his head towards where his youngest sister sat engrossed in the show on television set in the corner of the room. Angel had taken it over when she arrived the night before and he'd just about swear they'd watched at least fifty episodes of Grey's Anatomy since that time.

Yep, it was an all out Derek Shepard, Meredith Grey marathon up in room 421A.

"Angel," he muttered softly walking over to where she was sitting fully engrossed in her latest episode, "I think Aaron is tired of your favorite show here. How about watching something else?" As the words exited his mouth he took notice of his young brother's posture from across the room. He was slumped back against his pillows, his face pale and his eyes drowsy. "On second thought, " he added as he grabbed her hand and led her to the door fishing a $20 bill quickly out of his wallet, "Go down to the cafeteria and get something to eat."

"Ewwwww Nick," she protested, making a disgusted face at the mere idea, "everyone knows hospital food sucks!"

He laughed as he continued shoving her out the door, "Whatever Ang, if you don't want to eat downstairs, try the McDonalds down the road."

"Now that's more like it!"

"Hey Angelfish!" Aaron called sleepily from his spot on the bed, "bring me back some french fries or something... I don't know how much more of this damned hospital food I can take!"

"Bring Aaron back some fries Angel, he might be able to eat a couple!" He called out as she gave him a thumbs up over her head and disappeared around the corner of the hallway.

Nick walked over and sat down in the uncomfortable hospital chair beside his brother's bed. He was exhausted... Aaron was clearly exhausted... hell, they all had the right to be exhausted. They'd been there in that very hospital room for over two weeks now, two weeks at the very top of the donor list and still, nothing.

"I wonder where my hot intern's at?" Aaron mumbled as he stared blankly at the television set that Nick had flipped off moments before.

"Likely between the 'A' and the 'T' Aaron."

Aaron frowned at Nick and shot him the finger. "What are you the grammer patrol? Shut up!"

Nick laughed, "What do you mean anyway? Your hot intern?"

"Well," Aaron replied motioning towards the television, "That Denny guy on Angel's show over there..."

"Wait... you know their names now?" Nick asked giving him a odd look and rolling his eyes at his baby brother.

"Nick seriously! I'm trying to talk... and how the hell could I NOT know their names? Angel only watched that season three times this morning alone!"

Nick laughed, "point taken."

"Anyway," Aaron continued, "that Denny guy... he was in the hospital for a long time, waiting on a transplant and he got the hot intern. Where's mine?"

Nick laughed again. "I don't know Aaron. You want me to ask Dr. Dasota when he comes in next time? Maybe he can find you one."

"Heck yeah!" He responded with a forced grin, "I mean there's gotta be a reason I'm lying here in this bed dying right? I should at least get the hot girl!"

Nick nodded as Aaron grew silent. He'd asked himself that question at least a thousand times and he'd yet to come up with a good answer. There was no good reason he could think of that an otherwise healthy, happy 20-year-old young man would be lying in a hospital bed, hooked up to tubes and wires, being pumped full of medications and fluids, in need of a brand new liver.

He looked over at Aaron again. He could see the young man's eyes were growing heavy and he reached for his hand as he drifted off into a peaceful sleep. At least he hadn't been in too much pain these last few days. Not even a week ago the pain had been relentless, unending and completely unnerving. They had all feared the worse for their brother. His skin was yellow, his body was shutting down and his doctors were stumped. They couldn't come up with a reasonable explanation as to why Aaron's liver was shutting down and yet, it was. Aaron had blamed himself... too much alcohol and bad behavior. But Nick, his friends, and even his doctors had known better. It would take a lot more than a teenage boys stupidty and a few years of light partying... even if some nights would have qualified as hard partying... to destroy someone's liver.

Nick didn't understand. How could someone so young, someone in the prime of life... be dying.

He watched his brother sleeping and gently brushed the blonde strands away from his face. He'd prayed to God so many times for a miracle for Aaron. Today was no exception.