- Text Size +
Hailey's POV:

A couple weeks have passed, Nick and I were more of a couple again and things were looking up. I was outside by the pool working on my tan and Nick had gone inside to take a phone call. I was reading a People magazine when all of a sudden my left foot flinched and it became tingly.

I lowered the magazine down and watched my right foot did the same. As this happened I sat up a little and attempted to move my toes. To my surprise I was able to move all ten and even my legs a little.

"N-NICK!" I called out, tears threatening to fall from my eyes. I pushed my sunglasses on top of my head. "NICK!" I called again and he came jogging out of the house and to me.

"What is it, are you alright?" he knelt down and looked me in the eyes.

"Look," I whispered and threw my chin down to my legs. Nick looked down and watched as I moved my feet up and down. "I can feel them."

"Baby, that's amazing! You can feel your entire legs?"

"Yeah," I nodded my head. Nick pulled me in for a hug and kissed me hard.

"I think we should go to your physical therapist today. I know its your day off but I think we should."

"I think so too," I smiled and wrapped my arms around Nick's neck nd he picked me up; bringing me in the house to get dressed.

"You know what this means baby," Nick smiled putting a tee shirt on and slipping a pair of shorts over his swim trunks.

"We don't know yet Nick, it could just be-"

"Have faith," he kissed my forehead and brought me to his car; putting the wheel chair in.

After a twenty minute drive we arrived at the building and Nick got out, took the chair out and pushed it to the passanger side. I opened the door and slid myself over.

Nick pushed me in and my therapist, Dave came up to us.

"What brings you in today? A little extra work out? Or problem?" he asked looking down at me.

"This," I pointed down to my feet and was able to push them off of the foot rest after a minute of trying to move them.

"You can feel your legs?" he asked ask he told Nick to follow him into the the work out room. Nick pushed me up to a table, Dave picked me up and sat me on a table.

"I can and can kind of move them, so Nick thought I should make a visit."

"I'm glad you did, do you have any pain?" he asked moving my legs in and out.

"They feel really tight but they don't hurt; they're heavy almost."

"It's because of the muscle fatigue and atrafiene. Here lay down," he adjusted a pillow behind my head and brought my legs up onto the table. "How is your back when I do this?" he asked rotating my legs to the side.

"A little sore," I looked at Nick who had his arms crossed and was watching Dave intently.

Dave took my shoes off and then ran his pen on the bottom of my foot. It jumped a little and he did the same on my other one. He then helped me sit up, so my legs dangled over the table and he hit my knee cap. My leg jumped and he repeated to the right side; this one however did not jump.
He hit again and nothing.

"What does that mean?" I asked

"It may not mean anything yet. But I think it's safe to say, you're going to be walking in no time." He smiled.

"Seriously?" I asked.

"Your reflexes are coming back, you have them on the bottom of your feet, your right knee just might be laging a little. But if you thought therapy has been hard so far, you're in for a ride. Getting your muscle back is going to take time, committment and most likely painful."

"But she will walk again," Nick said putting an arm around me.

"I believe so. What you need to keep doing is practicing to move your feet, try to move your legs as much as possible. The more movement you are able to do, the sooner we can get you standing and walking."

"So what do we do today?" I asked eagerly.

"I'd like to put some stim on you to help move your muscles. Then we'll work on some movement. Until you can fully move your legs in and out, lying on your back and lift them up off the ground a bit, we'll just do therapy here every two days."

"But I can do it at home every day?"

"Of course. I'll go get things set up. Congratulations Hailey," he smiled and patted me on the back.

"So, he said as long as I keep at the therapy I can be walking in no time! I know it's great! I miss you too, I'll try to come home to visit soon, or you can always come here too! Okay, love you. Bye!" I closed my cell phone and then re-opened it.

"Now who are you calling?" Nick laughed at my excitement about my news.

"Brian!"

"Didn't you already call him?"

"Well, I left a message."

"So, maybe he's busy."

"So, maybe he's...Brian hi! Good, I just wanted to, you're where?" The door bell rang and Brian walked in side.

"Here," he laughed. "So, I got a call from you and texts from Nick saying to call you."

"How are you here? I thought it was your week with Bailey?" I asked.

"No, I just finished, I get him again Saturday. But we have the tour stuff to go over, so I came here to meet with the guys."

"Tour stuff?" I asked looking from Brian over to Nick.

"Uh, yeah." Nick ran a hand through his hair.

"You haven't told her yet?" Brian asked.

"Tell me what?" I raised an eye brow at Nick.

"I was going to tell you today but then you called me out as I had just gotten off the phone...they want us to do a small North America tour. It's just like tweleve cities. I was going to ask you to come but now, I don't know what to do because you are going to need to be near therapy."

"What's going on?" Brian asked looking at me.

"I can kinda move my legs and feel them."

"What?! That's great Hails!" Brian leaned down and gave me a hug.

"Thanks. And Nick, I can hang on my own. I mean tweleve cities is just like what three weeks?"

"Five, we have a couple shows like in NY at different places."

"When do you leave?"

"In two and half weeks. I can turn them down now, we can post pone again and-"

"Nick, you are not doing anything like that. You've done God knows enough for me. I know you miss the performing. I can have one of my girls bring me to therapy and I can get around the house fine with you."

"But you can't do the stairs."

"Nick, I will manage."

"Maybe I can get a nurse for you."

"Nick really, I'll be fine. Brian tell him I'll be fine."

"I don't know maybe we should get someone to stay with you."

"Dave did say this part of rehab is going to be painful. I can't leave you when you need me the most."

"Baby, I need you to trust me in this. I know things are going to be fine." I reached my hand out and Nick took it.

"I do trust but-"

"But nothing,' I cut him off and pulled him in for a kiss.

"You're kinda amazing, you know that?" he smiled.

"I know," I winked.

"I think we need to celebrate. Let's go out to dinner!" Brian said.

"Good idea, let me go shower." Nick said and bounded up the stairs.

"So, thats great news for you huh? I knew you'd be walking, and it's been a long few months for you."

"Yeah." I smiled.

"You okay with Nick leaving?"

"I am, it's a little scary, not going to lie."

"Hon, we can get someone to stay with you or we can really try to bump the tour."

"You've had to do that enough times already. And I need to find me again and learn to take care of myself. It will be good for the both of us."

"I think you're right."

"How is everything with you?" I watched as he shrugged his shoulders.

"I miss my family but what can ya do?"

"You have family right here B, you know I love you."

"I know. And you know I love you!" He took the handles of my wheel chair and popped me into a wheely and began pushing me around the house.

"What are you doing with her?" Nick asked as he came down the stairs, his hair going every which way.

"Uh-dancing?" Brian smirked.

"Come on lets go get some grub, I'm hungry." Nick whined.
"You're always hungry," Brian and I said in unison.