- Text Size +
The weeks passed and I felt myself becoming stronger and stronger. I was now doing full work outs, using an excercise bike for cardio, lifting weights with my arms, and mostly just doing squats and stairs to make my legs stronger. It was Nick's birthday and I had just gotten to his hotel in Florida.

"Thanks so much for picking me up," I told Katie.

"Oh shut up, who else were you going to get? The guys are out shopping with Nick. Have you talked to him today?" she asked as we got into her room. I put my bag onto her bed.

"I don't know. I haven't talked to him really in two days. We sent a few texts yesterday but he was busy with the last show. So when is Aaron and his sisters getting in?"

"Aaron won't be in until just before the party but his sisters are actually here. They're on a different floor, I believe they are checking on the catering and what not. Have I told you how great you look?"

"Only about ten times, but who is counting?" I laughed and looked at my watch, it was one Nick had gotten me. "It's already five?!"

"Yeah girl, don't worry you did all the planning, we did all the setting up. You just have to show at eight downstairs in the ball room."

"I really appreciate all the help you guys' have done. Can I borrow your phone, I want to call B."

"I'm going to shower so you can hop in."

"Thanks Katie," I looked through her contact list and pressed send. It rang a couple of times and Brian's voice answered.

"Hello hello."

"Hey B!"

"Hey, you made it!'

"I did, how is the birthday boy?"

"Well..."

"Brian?"

"He's been in this funk all week, I don't know what's going on with him. We are actually back here in the hotel. He went up to his room to shower and get ready, he thinks we are just doing drinks and going out tonight. So, we'll go down for a drink at the bar before heading over to the ball room."

"Alright well, I'll see you tonight for the surprise party!"

"Can't wait to see you girl! Later." We hung up and the next few hours were spent getting ready.

~*~*~*~*~

"Ugh why am I nervous?" I played with the ring on my finger, pacing back and forth in the kitchen area.

"Because you haven't seen Nick in a month, this is the first time you're walking in front of everyone. Relax, you'll be fine, Nick will be ecstatic you're here. They're at the bar right now and the ball room is filling up."

"Is the band here yet?" I bit my bottom lip. I had gotten this Journey cover band for Nick and had a little surprise within that for him.

"Yes, they are setting up, you're on first. Okay, I'm going to go out, you start warming up and relax." Katie gave me a quick hug and ran off.
~*~*~*~
"I thought we were going out for dinner?" Nick asked drinking his Captain and coke.

"We're going to have dinner here and then hit up some of the clubs you wanted to go to." Howie re-assured him.

"Nick put that drink down, you've had four already and we're going out later," Brian took the drink from him and stood up. "Let's go eat birthday boy!"

"I'll take my drink with me, thank you very much!" Nick took the glass back, took a swig and walked with the guys. "Hey guys, I know I've been drinking but the restaurant is back there," Nick pointed.

"We wanted a private party with just us, some of the crew and dancers," A.J. told Nick smoothly. As they walked into the ball room Nick looked around and saw tables with white and red table clothes. Silver balloons were were in the middle of them and everyone from the tour was spread out.

"Our table is here," Howie guided Nick to a long table where Nick's mouth dropped open at who he saw.
*~*~*
"Okay Miss James, Mr. Carter has arrived and is being seated to his table. You are on in five minutes," one of the waiters had come back to tell Hailey that.

"Thank you," I smiled and told myself to keep breathing. I took a seat in a chair because I had been standing already quite a lot that day and didn't want to over do myself for later.
~*~*~
"KEVIN!" Nick yelled and Kevin stood up from the table and gave Nick a hug.

"Happy birthday little brother," Kevin smiled.

"I can't believe you are here."

"And miss your 28th birthday on January 28th? Come on! It's going to be a good year for you." Just then Nick's phone rang and he took it out of his pocket. He looked down at the glowing screen and smiled.

"It's Hailey, excuse me one minute." Nick stepped away from the table and the gang looked at each other trying not to laugh. Nick flipped his phone open and put it to his hear. "Hey you," he answered.

"Happy birthday baby."

"I was beginning to think you forgot."

"Are you serious? I was going to call earlier but I had therapy this morning and I've been having someone come help me clean your house for when you get back, and trying to get your birthday present in the mail. They had to ship it back to me because of who knows why. How are you?"

"I'm great, the fellas just surprised me with this party here at the hotel and Kevin is here!"

"I know, I wish I could be there. I just was told it wasn't safe for me to travel," I lied but had this all planned out in my head.

"I will be home soon, just hold the present, you don't have to mail it."

"Well, one of my presents is already there."

"Oh? Do continue." Nick grinned.

"Go look over at table number seven," I smiled over the phone.

"Hey B where is table seven?" Nick asked Brian and Brian pointed off to the other side of the room up by the stage. When he saw his brother and sisters sitting there, he put the phone back to his hear. "How did you get them all here?"

"I'm just that good. Go say hello, I know you haven't seen most of them in almost a year. Call me tonight, I really wish I could be there. I love you."

"I love you! Okay, I will call you, bye, thank you so much!" Nick's voice was eager like a child would be on his birthday. He hung up the phone and Aaron was first to hug him.
~*~*~
"The band is ready, are you all set?" A.J. asked poking his head behind the curtain.

"Yes, I think. I don't know if I can sing."

"Girl you can sing, let's do this!" A.J.'s head disappeared and he walked onto the stage with a microphone. "Excuse me beautiful ladies, gents and birthday boy," he spoke into the microphone. The room soon became silent and all eyes were on A.J.
"I would just like to say thank you for coming and celebrating Nicky's 28th birthday with us. Nick, happy birthday, you know I love you, as well as everyone else in this room. There is however something missing and maybe this birthday gift will help fill that space that is empty in your heart tonight." Just then the curtains opened and a band appeared on stage. The opening notes began to play and Nick knew right away what song it was.

"Lying beside you
Here in the dark
Feeling your heart with mine," I slowly sang into the microphone walking to the middle of the stage.
"Softly you whisper
You're so sincere
How could our love be so blind
We sailed on together
We drifted apart
And here you are
By my side," my eyes were locked onto Nick's.

"So now I come to you
With open arms
Nothing to hide
Believe what I say
So here I am
With open arms
Hoping you'll see
What your love means to me
Open arms

Living without you
Living alone
This empty house seems so cold
Wanting to hold you
Wanting you near
How much I wanted you home

But now that you've come back
Turned night into day
I need you to stay

So now I come to you
With open arms
Nothing to hide
Believe what I say
So here I am
With open arms
Hoping you'll see
What your love means to me
Open arms."
-Open Arms by Journey
Nick's POV

I was still overwhelmed with Kevin being at the party as well Aaron, Leslie, B.J. and Angel. I couldn't believe that Hailey had managed to get them all to Florida. Just when I thought I thought all of the surprises were done, A.J. had come out on the stage and next thing I know a band began playing my all time favorite song, 'Open Arms'. As if I were in a dream, Hailey walked out on the stage singing the first verse of the song. She was wearing a black dress that fit her curves just the right way.

Since her accident she gained some weight but she looked much healthier now, sexier. I wanted her right then and there. I wasn't sure if I was more surprised about her being right in front of me or the fact she was walking on stage, no crutches, no wheel chair. Her long hair had loose curls in it and it looks as though she had been out in the sun lately; her skin had a slight glow.

By the time the song had ended, I did everything I could to try to fight back my tears. There was no use and I brushed them away and got up on stage.

"Happy birthday Nick, I love you," she spoke in the microphone and set it down on the piano. My arms wrapped around her and her arms went around my neck.

"How, why, when, ahh I love you!" I kissed her and everyone began to clap. I pulled away and stared into her eyes.

"Nick are you crying?" Her thumb brushed away a stray tear.

"Look at you! You're walking!' She grinned, showing off her bright smile that I have told her could end a war.

"Did you really think I wouldn't be here for your birthday?"

"Well, I was hoping you would surprise me but then when you called I didn't think you were coming. But you, you're walking and well, walking, how long?"

"I had just started when you came for that surprise visit. I had to pretend I couldn't, I hated lying to you but this was my goal. I had to be walking for you by your birthday."

"Are you in any pain?"

"Only after I've been up on my legs for a while and I'm not great at stairs. I was going to walk down those ones to sing to you but was afraid I'd fall and ruin everything," I shrugged my shoulder and gave a half smile.

"Well, let me escort you down to our table in that case," Nick put his arm around me and helped me down the steps and I went to table number seven.