- Text Size +
The entire set was quiet and all eyes were on Nick and myself but I felt as though we were the only two people in the room. I was afraid that if I were to let go, I wouldn’t have the strength to go back and hold him or that I would lose him again
“Let’s go somewhere,” he whispered into my ear. I nodded my head and let him guide me out of the set and outside where there were benches. We sat down and looked into each other’s eyes which seemed like eternity and we both started at the same time.
“Nick I—”
“Hails—”
“You go first,” Nick told me.
“Nick, I’m so sorry for everything I’ve put you through. Despite whatever happened you didn’t deserve to be treated the way you were from m. That’s not the type of person I am and I was just hurt and didn’t know how to handle things.”
“Nonsense. I hurt you and you did what you thought was best for you and I understand. You have nothing to be sorry for, do you hear me? I can’t forgive myself for what I did to you that night, there are no excuses and just having you hear now means the world to me and I don’t deserve that or any part of you. I know you were tricked into getting here but you stayed.”
“And I kept telling myself that I should leave but I just couldn’t. And I figured there was a reason for that. That reason is you Nick. I need you in my life and we all make mistakes and I forgive you.”
“You shouldn’t forgive me but I need you in my life too pretty girl. I haven’t gone a single day where I wasn’t thinking of you in some way, shape or form. And I’ve been trying to reason with myself to why I would ever had hurt you that night and I can barely recall that entire night as it is. Yes, I started drinking but I really didn’t know what the consequences were until it was too late.”
“How about this,” I took Nick’s hands into mine. “How about we forget about that night, forget about the pain we endured and focus on the now. It’s clear we’re supposed to be together.”
“I love you.”
“And I love you,” we leaned into each other and started kissing.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“They’re WHAT?!” she screamed digging her nails into Billy’s shoulders.
“They’re back together; they were all love dovey at the set.”
“Did anyone see you, you goon?”
“No mam, but what are you doing to do?”
“Well, first of all if I can’t have him then NO ONE will. I’ll just have to get rid of my love, Nick.”
“How do we do that boss?”
“Guess the Backstreet Boys will just have to be down one boy and we need to do it before the tour starts so I don’t look like I’m part of this mess.”
“Okey dokey boss,” Billy laughed getting excited. Amber walked away coming up with her plan.


~*~*~*~*~
So, you two are okay now?” Brian asked me as they walked down Times Square.
“Yes, I think so. It’s going to take some time but we both want to be with each other. Brian,” I stopped walking. “Thank you for everything. You truly are my best friend.” I pulled him in for a hug
“No problem, I’m just glad to see things looking up for you,” his voice was soft and his eyes seemed sad.
“What’s up with you today?” I asked pulling away.
“Oh, nothing. Just a little tired from getting up early to do Good Morning America.”
“Okay…” I didn’t believe him but I wasn’t going to press it further.
“You look beautiful today,” the words came out of nowhere from Brian. I was a bit taken back. “I mean you always do but you just can tell how happy you are, you’re glowing.” His hands were shoved deep into his pockets as he looked at me.
“Thanks Bri,” I put my arm through his and we continued to walk around.
“What are you doing about work?”
“They were a little upset but they have enough help there. I’m just going to stick around for a little bit. Nick and I need to take things slow but they have to get better first and we can’t really do that if I’m miles away.”
“Yeah, you two are being smart about the whole thing.” My phone vibrated and I assumed it was Nick. He was back at the hotel taking a nap. I pulled it out and opened it up to read the text. It was from an number I had never seen but the area code was NY.
:: U have been warned. Now Nick must say goodbye to his world. ::
“Brian,” I whispered and handed my phone to him. He took it and quickly shut it.
“Is this the first one since all of it?” his voice was serious.
“I got an email a little while ago before I came here.”
“Did you report it?”
“It didn’t seem like that big of a threat; it was from a different email this time anyway.”
“But you changed your other one too. Hailey we need to report this, they never caught that guy.”
“Actually the email said it wasn’t about the guy, he as just a threat.”
“Let’s go,” he took my hand, still holding onto my phone and started walking. We headed towards the hotel.
“I wanted to go shopping for some sunglasses.”
“Later, we’re taking this to head of security for us.”
“Why can’t we have a normal life,” I whined and let Brian drag me back to the hotel. When we got there, he got on his cell and called security. A few minutes later a big guy came into the lobby. Brian explained what he knew and I told a little about the email.
“We will get extra security on Mr. Carter and be sure that Ms. James here is taken care of.”
“Thank you Lee.” Brian shook his hand and we headed towards the elevator. We went up to Nick’s room and knocked on the door
“This is ridiculous Bri,” I told him with my arms crossed now. Nick came to the door a minute later and opened it sleepily.
“We have a situation,” Brian told him still holding my hand; he pushed through Nick and entered the room. “Lock the door,” Brian said sternly. Nick looked at me and I shrugged my shoulders plopping down onto the bed on my stomach. Nick locked the door and came and sat by me.
“What’s going on?” he asked.
“Brian’s gone crazy,” I said laying my head on Nick’s lap.
“Her stalker or whomever is back.” Brian said flatly.
“What?” he sat up a little straighter. Brian told him about the text and email.
“They took my phone!” I cried.
“It’s probably for the better right now. So they’re getting extra security.”
“Yeah, they’ll be here soon. I’m going to go see how things are going, you two stay together.” Brian walked towards the door. “Put the chain on after I leave,” he unlocked the door and left.
“Has he always been this over protective?” Nick asked.
“Since well, I was attacked.”
“Well, I’m not going to let anything happen to you,” Nick laid on top of me.
“’Cause they won’t be able to find me under you!” I laughed.
“You’re going to get it now!” Nick started tickling me, which eventually turned into him kissing me. Ahh I loved new relationships.
“Our tour starts in a few weeks and I know you’re doing it ‘cause what I think is because of your knee right?”
“Right. I just can’t move that way anymore. I had my ACL repaired and screws put in. I’m surprised it still really holds me up anymore.”
“I’m sorry baby,” he kissed my forehead.
“No worries!” I sat up and smiled.
“I want to ask you stay with me but there is something you need to know,” Nick’s hands started to fidget.
“What’s that?”
“I have no idea how it happened, we’re still trying to work on it but Amber is back on the tour.”
“Seriously.” My mouth almost dropped and I felt sick to my stomach.
“I had nothing to do with it. You’d think we’d have first say on who stays and who goes but we don’t and I guess she is one of the best dancers…of course next to you.
“Well, its business, the past is in the past…just try to lose her,” I winked and patted his back standing up.
“It’s okay to be mad about it.”
“I’m not; it’s just weird and will suck because I do want to go with you.”
“So come, everything will be fine, I promise.” Nick walked up behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Two days later we all back in California; this is where everyone decided to meet up with Fatima to work on the choreography for the tour that would be coming up in a few weeks. I stayed with Nick and it felt as though nothing ever changed between the two of us. It felt as though we never broke up.
I got back in from my morning run from Nick’s house to find that he was still asleep. I started making pancakes for us and Nick’s phone rang. I glanced at the clock and it was only eight am, I thought it was still early for someone to be calling.
“Hello?” I answered the phone off the wall. Silence. “Hello?” I asked again. I heard light breathing on the other end and then the dial tone. “Weird,” I said to myself and went back to cooking. I finished the pancakes and made a plate for Nick and I. I brought them into his room where he was still sleeping.
“Nicky, time to get up,” I set the plate on the night stand and sat on the edge of the bed. I kissed his cheek, hips neck and shoulder. He rolled over facing me and smiling. “Good morning,” I smiled back.
“What time is it?”
“Almost eight thirty, I made breakfast.”
“It’s early he moaned, what time did you get up?”
“Six-thirty. I went on a run and made pancakes.”
“You’re still crazy,” Nick sat up. “That’s why I love you.” He gave me a kiss and we started eating our breakfast and started making plans for the day. Just then his phone rang again.
“Someone called earlier but wouldn’t answer me,” I took a bite of pancake. Nick reached next to him and picked up the cordless.
“Talk to me,” Nick answered and I rolled my eyes. “Hi…” His tone of voice immediately changed. “Why are you calling me?...I told you I don’t want anything…okay…are you serious…about the tour…I’ll see what I can do…bye.” Nick hung up the phone and slowly looked at me. “This just doesn’t make sense, why now?”
“What are you talking about, who was that?”
“You have to believe me this is the first time we’ve talked since that day,” he started, I could tell he was nervous.
“You don’t mean that was Amber do you?”
“She said she needed to talk to me about the tour and in person. She said she wants to try to get out but she’s going through some hard publicity about the whole thing. I don’t even know how it got leaked.”
“Can’t she have her manager call your manager or something? You should have nothing to do with this.”
“She sounded scared and upset, something about some crazy fans trying to hurt her when she went out to the mall the other day.”
“You want to go see her?”
“It’s not that I want to, I just feel like I need to. She was crying on the phone and was all upset. Baby I just got everything perfect with you; do you think I want to jeopardize that at all?” I took a minute and thought about what he said and who Nick was.
“Do what you have to do,” I shrugged my shoulders and stood up to head for the shower.
“I won’t go.” I stopped at the door frame and turned and faced Nick.
“You have a big heart and it will be on your mind until you do talk to her. This is just going to help build our trust again,” I looked right into his eyes so he knew I meant every word I said. “Am I okay with it? Not really, I’m not going to lie but I want to trust you again. I want this to work.” Nick got up and walked towards me; he pulled me into his arms and held me tight.
“I can’t believe I ever let you go in the first place, I love you so much. I’m not going to hurt you again I promise.”
“I don’t think I could live if I lost you again,” I squeezed him tighter. “Shower with me?”
“Like you need to ask,” Nick picked me up and brought me into the shower with our clothes still on. He turned the water on and we started kissing. He took my tank top off and threw it over the ledge as I did with his. Our arms roamed each other’s bodies trying to rediscover one another; it had been over six months since we last made love.
~*~*~*~
“Okay so I told Amber I’d meet her at White Sands beach, this time of day there should be quite a few people there, we’ll talk and get things figured out. I’ll call you after and we’ll have a special date tonight,” Nick told me as he walked around his house getting ready.
“And then I’ll meet you thereafter to watch the sunset and go to dinner and come back and watch a movie snuggling,” I hugged him with a big grin.
“I love you,” Nick gave me a kiss.
“Love you,” I kissed him back. Nick walked out the door and I sat down in front of the television to help distract my thoughts of Nick with Amber. My stomach felt knotted and I couldn’t shake the uneasiness I felt.
I flipped through the endless stations Nick had and stopped on a re-run of ‘One Tree Hill’; one of my favorite shows. I was interrupted an hour and half later when my phone rang, I looked down and saw it was Brian.
“Hey B,” I answered.
“Where are you?”
“Well, hello to you to too. Sheesh doesn’t anyone know how to be polite anymore these days? I mean come on, common courtesy people.”
“Hails, where are you?”
“Nick’s why?”
“Stay there I’m on my way over.”
“But—” the phone went dead. I couldn’t concentrate on the TV show any longer and waiting for Brian to come over. Within ten minutes Brian walked into the house in a hurry.
“Where’s Nick?”
“He’s out with Amber didn’t you know?” I said smugly.
“HE’S WHERE?!”
“Yeah I know but I have to trust him. She had to talk to him, something about the tour.” I started flipping through the stations.
“Stacie we have to go find Nick, where is he?”
“White Sands because we’re going to meet up later. What’s going on Brian?”
“I’ll tell you in the car, get your shoes on,” I turned the TV off and ran into Nick’s room and slipped on a pair of flip flops. Brian was on his phone trying to call Nick. “He’s not answering,” Brian’s eyes were focused on the road.
“Tell me what’s going on.”
“Your stalker was discovered to be Amber, she’s the one who has sent you email, phone calls, letters and she’s the one who set up that guy to try to hurt you.” I didn’t know what to say, I knew she was crazy but I just didn’t know why she would be out for me that way.
“I-I don’t understand, how did you find out?”
“When I gave your phone to security they were able to finally trace who’s phone it was that last sent you that message. It was to a guy named Billy, and he was the guy who attacked you that night. He apparently told the cops everything and they are out searching for Amber right now. I need to call the police to let them know where she may be.”
“Brian is Nick in harm?”
Brian had dialed 911 and was giving directions. After he hung up the phone he was quiet.
“Brian, tell me right now, is Nick in danger?”
“I’m not sure,” his eyes didn’t leave the road ahead.
“You’re lying to me, Brian Thomas you tell me right now.”
“The guy that was arrested, he said she was planning on…” his voice trailed off.
“Planning on what Bri?”
“Let’s just focus on getting to Nick okay?” Brian reached over and squeezed my hand. I took out my new cell phone that Nick had gotten me when the police had taken mine away. I called Nick and his voice mail picked up right away. My stomach was even more twisted than earlier and I was beginning to feel sick to my stomach.
We got to the beach and it was fairly isolated, it looked as though the tide was coming in and there might be a storm coming.
“I have no idea where they could be,” I told Brian looking out my rolled down window. Brian pulled into the public parking lot and we got out of the car. Brian continued to try Nick’s phone but got nothing.
“Nick’s car is right there,” I pointed to Brian. “So he has to be here.”
“Do you two have a special spot you go or anything here?” I thought for a minute as both were walking briskly in the sand.
“Nick we aren’t supposed to go up on these rocks, it says so on that sign.”
“Hailey live a little, I won’t let anything happen to you I promise.” Nick took my hand and walked along the jagged rocks that made a point out into the ocean. “You just need to see how great the sunset can be here.”
I shook my head from the memory and stopped in my tracks. I looked to my left down the beach and saw two small spots at the place I was thinking of. I took my flip flops off and began sprinting down the beach as fast as I could. The point was a good mile away and I ran as fast as my legs would take me. I felt my knee pop and give out on me and I fell onto the sand. Brian picked me up and I ignored the pain my knee was in and continued to run. As we reached the base of the rocks I notice the shiny object in Amber’s hand.
“Brian she has a gun,” I whispered to him breathing hard.