- Text Size +
“Amber you need help, you don’t need to do this,” Nick tried for the hundredth time to reason with her.
“No Nick, I do not need help. Can’t you see, I just need you! I tried to make it subtle that didn’t work, I tried to play hard core and in your face that didn’t work. I gave my entire body to you one night and it wasn’t enough. I tried to get rid of your girlfriend, but she just won’t go away. I thought she would’ve broken down by now and gone to some insane institute but she’s too damn stubborn. “
“I don’t have feelings for you, I’m sorry but you just don’t pick who you love.”
“But I LOVE YOU NICK! She doesn’t love you; she’ll just end up killing you like she killed my best friend!”
“What are you talking about?”
“It was her idea to stop eating and she forced Kara to stop eating. She killed her.”
“Hailey didn’t even know you until the tour.”
“But she did, she just didn’t remember. We haven’t seen each other since we were ten. She made it so that Kara wouldn’t hang out with me any longer. She just takes away everyone I love and I will not have it. She shouldn’t even be on this planet but I’ll take care of her after you Nick. I will however give you one more option. We can either live happily ever after or you can die.”
“It doesn’t have to be this way. We can still be friends, I came today didn’t I?”
“You did but I want you all or nothing at all.” I heard a noise and tried to see what it was. There wasn’t another person miles away. My phone now belonged to the oceans so there was no way I could reach anyone.
“Stay there,” Amber flashed the gun towards me and walked towards the edge of some rocks. “Looks like we have a visitor. You stay, you get up here, NOW!” she now flashed the gun downward. I couldn’t see who she was talking to until Hailey made it to the top of the rocks.
“No,” I closed my eyes briefly. She wasn’t wearing shoes and she looked deep into my eyes.
“I should’ve guessed you would’ve made it this way. I mean I did see you and Nick here that one beautiful night. You’re just in time to say goodbye to each other.”
“You don’t know what you’re doing, you’re crazy!” Hailey yelled. ‘Not the time to be a bitch Hails,’ I thought to myself. Hailey took a step forward and Amber pointed the gun up to her head.
“Get away from her!” I yelled.
“Go ahead shoot me, the police are on their way anyway.”
“Nah not yet, I’m going to make you watch Nick die first.” Amber’s back was towards the ocean, I tried to keep my eyes off where I could see Brian trying to climb the rocks so that she wouldn’t see him. He was able to get all the way up what was to happen next happened so fast.
Brian was able to quietly get behind Amber, who still had the gun barrel pushed against Hailey’s temple. Brian’s foot slipped on a rock and Amber turned around fast facing him. Brian kicked Amber’s arm but she managed to still hold the gun, a gun shot went off and she pointed it towards me.
“Guess I have to do this sooner than planned and then take care of the rest of you. Nick, just know that before you die, I love you.” She turned the barrel to the next round, blew me a kiss and before I knew it Hailey tackled Amber down onto the rocks. Amber’s hand hit hard against a rock and the gun shot off before falling into the ocean. Amber lost her balance and to try to save herself from falling she pulled on Hailey. Hailey’s feet slipped on the wet rocks and she fell backwards into the ocean.
“HAILEY!” I yelled and looked around to find a way to get to her. He body was lying still among more rocks and the ocean was rising.


Brian now had Amber pinned down while she kicked and screamed. “Nick the police,” Brian said as the sirens became louder. I managed to get down to where Hailey’s body was.
“Hailey, baby, baby talk to me,” I was afraid to touch her because her body was in such an awkward position.
“Nick, I can’t move my legs.” Her eyes remained shut.
“It’s okay, help is on the way. Don’t try to move.” I looked to where I saw the police cars, I started to fear when I didn’t see any ambulances but I suppose they weren’t expecting something like this. The water was getting higher and I couldn’t move her head to keep it from submerging.
“Are you okay?” she asked now opening her eyes.
“I’m fine thanks to you.”
“Brian?”
“He’s okay, let’s just focus on you right now. What hurts?”
“I can’t feel anything Nick, God what if—” her eyes started to water and her breathing became faster.
“Come on you stay with me, let’s not add on an asthma attack with this. Can you squeeze my hand?” I took her hand into mine. I sighed with relief when she squeezed back and hard. “That a girl.”
Just then there was a squad full of police on the rocks and someone reading Amber’s rights.
“I need an ambulance right away and maybe a chopper,” an officer said into is radio on his vest. He made his way down into the water. “What’s your name?” he asked Hailey as he got behind her and put a hand on each side of her head to keep it stable.
“Hailey…James.”
“Hailey do you have any pain?”
“I can’t move my legs.”
“Okay we have an ambulance on the way. We need a rush on the ambulance; the victim is in the water with a possible spinal injury. High tide is coming. Over.”
“Nick—” her voice was panicked and I continued to hold her hand. Brian then came down to where we were.
“Shh its okay baby, concentrate on your breathing, can you do that for me?” I gently kissed her forehead. “I love you so much; you’re going to be just fine.” My own words became shaky.
“God,” I heard Brian whisper as he knelt down. “Hang in there Hails you’re okay.”
“If the tide get’s any higher before the ambulance or chopper comes, we’re going to have to keep her body as still as possible and keep her afloat.”
“The tide will be here within five minutes,” I told the officer. This beach was the same almost all the time. He nodded his head and two more officers came down, one with a medic bag.
“Hailey keep your eyes open for me,” the officer told her and I watched as her eyes struggled to stay open.
“So, I’m sorry Hails but I think we need to put our date on hold.” I saw her crack a small smile. “There’s my girl.”
“Nick-I, I’m having a…hard time…breathing.” She was wheezing and letting out small coughs.
“Keep breathing through your nose,” I told her. It was a trick she was able to use whenever she felt as though an asthma attack as coming. Just then we heard a chopper become louder and land on the beach. Two medics came running out with a back board and bag and pushed Brian and two officers out of the way.
“This is Hailey James, she was pushed from the top of those rocks up there. No complaints of pain, however she says she cannot feel her legs. She can squeeze with both hands and has asthma. I think she might be having an attack,” the officer told the medic who was putting on a neck stabilizer.
“Any allergies?”
“No but she did have heart surgery a year ago for a murmur,” I told the other EMT.
“Hailey we’re going to put this backboard under you and get you into the helicopter. From there, we’ll get you a nebulizer to help you breathe. We’re going to take good care of you. Is anyone here related to you?”
“No but Nick…he’s my boyfriend.”
“Nick you can come with us,” they finished getting the backboard strapped to her body and I helped the two EMT’s and officer walk her up to the beach where we got her into the helicopter.
“I’ll get you some dry clothes and meet you there,” Brian quickly gave me a hug and I jumped into the chopper. I held her hand and said a silent prayer: ‘God please watch out for Hailey, don’t take her away from me. I just got her back into my life and she’s been through so much and doesn’t deserve this happening to her.’