- Text Size +
Nick’s POV continue.
I was woken up from stirring in the bed and I saw Hailey struggling to sit up.
“Hails, what are you doing?” I rubbed my eyes and turned the light on.
“I’m sorry for waking you.”
“It’s fine, you’re hurting aren’t you?”
“No, I’m okay. Go back to sleep.” She adjusted the pillow under her head.
“I’m going to get you a Codeine pill,” I glanced at the clock and it was only one am. I pulled the sheets off my legs and went into the bathroom.
I opened up the cabinet, took out her pills and read the label. I put one into my hand, put some water into a glass and went back into the room. I put the pill and glass onto the night stand and sat on the edge of the bed. “Put your arm around my neck,” I helped her sit up and propped a few pillows behind her. I handed her the pill and she put it into her mouth and took a sip of water.
“Thanks,” she took another sip. I tucked her hair behind her ear and smiled at her.
“Do you need anything else baby?”
“Try to hold me?” I looked at her for a moment thinking of how she could be comfortable in my arms. I climbed into bed, put my arms around her and gently pulled her to me. I got her so was on her stomach, her head on my chest and my arms around her waist.
“How’s this?”
“Perfect,” she nuzzled her head under my neck and gave me a small squeeze. I kissed the top of her head and closed my eyes, falling asleep within minutes.
~*~*~*~*~Four A.M~*~*~*~*
“Nick, Nick wake up,” Hailey shook me awake.
“Hmm, what is it?”
“I feel like I’m going to be sick.” I sat up as quick as I could without moving her too much, got her so she was sitting up against the head board and grabbed the trash can next to the bed. I put it in her lap and within seconds of it being there she began throwing up. I held her long hair back and rubbed her shoulders.
“Shh, it’s alright baby.”
“It hurts so much Nick,” she cried and got sick again. “I can’t sit up anymore,” she dropped her head back but as soon as she did that she leaned over the trash and got sick. I got behind her and straddled so I could help keep her up right. I didn’t know what to do and wasn’t sure why exactly she was even getting sick. For the next twenty minutes she continued to throw up and for the most part had the dry heaves. “I think I’m done,” her voice was hoarse and body weak.
“Here drink some water, I’m going to get you a cold wash cloth,” I handed her the water.
“And some mouth wash please?” she half laughed. I smiled and went into the bathroom again, ran the water on cold and soaked a wash cloth. I wrung it out, grabbed the mouth wash and went back into the bedroom. I opened the mouth wash and handed it to her. She took a swig from it and swished her mouth for a minute and then spat it into the trash can. I put the can onto the floor and put the wash cloth on her head.
“That took a lot out of you didn’t it?” she nodded her head and tried to push herself to lay down. I helped her and dabbed the wash cloth around her face and neck.
“I think it was the pain killer.”
“I’ll call the doctor tomorrow and get you a different one,” I took a pillow and lifted up her legs and placed it under. “This should help relieve some pain.” She nodded her head and eyes were heavy. “I’m so sorry baby,” I kissed her forehead. “I’m going to clean this out; you try and get some sleep.” Her eyes were closed and I pulled the sheets over her. I took another look at her before taking the trash can into the bathroom to wash it out.
At this point of the night I was wide awake and it was five am. I lied back down on the bed and just watched her sleep. I couldn’t seem to take my eyes off her; it was as though I were afraid to.
Hailey’s POV
A week has passed and things have been busy. Nathan had gone home yesterday; I’ve been going to physical therapy every other day and doing home therapy every day with Nick. Although I’ve gotten a lot stronger physically, the emotional strength seemed to become harder to keep. Nick’s been nothing but amazing and supportive.
“Hey you, you up to some therapy?” Nick asked me. I was lying on the couch reading a book.
“Eh,” I kept my eyes on the pages.
“I’ll take that as a yes? Come on,” he took the book out of my hand and set it on the coffee table. I moaned and rolled my eyes.
“I’m sore today,” I sat up.
“That’s good. Means your muscles are getting worked,” Nick pushed the coffee table to the couch and picked me up. He set me on the ground and knelt next to me.
“I have a better idea,” I grinned, pulled Nick’s shirt towards me and he fell down close my face.
“Careful, I don’t want to hurt you.” His voice was serious. I went to pull him in for a kiss and he turned his face.
“So, let’s get started.” He sat up, put a pillow under my head and picked up my right leg. He can began to move it back and forth slowly. My mind wasn’t on the pain but on the thought of how Nick had been the last couple of days. We haven’t kissed kissed since the night I came home. “How are you doing? Need a break?”
“I’m good.” I let out a sigh. “Want to go to a movie tonight?” I asked.
“How about we rent?”
“Alright…?” He set down my leg and picked up my right one and began do the exercises.
“Actually, I was thinking do you want to call Katie over and chill?”
“Sure. How about Brian, have you heard anything from him?”
“I talked to him briefly two days ago. He’s still being distant.” Nick shrugged. I still haven’t been able to talk or see Brian.
“Oh.” I thought for a minute. “Nick?”
“Hmm?” his concentration was on my leg.
“He’s staying in that beach house for a while right?”
“Yeah.”
“Let’s go see him. Maybe he needs us.”
“I don’t know, I don’t want you to over do it.”
“I’m fine. Moving around and getting around is the best thing for me the doctor said.” Nick was quiet. “Nick.”
“I’ll think about it.”
“Come on, you know I’m right.”
“Here, let’s try to do your sit ups.” He put my leg down.
“You’re avoiding the situation,” I told him, struggling with my sit up. The more of these I would do, the easier for me to move around my own it would become.
“You did three yesterday, let’s go for five today.” I lied back down and sat up again.
“Let’s go for ten,” I flashed a smile doing another.
“Let’s not push.”
“You know that’s what I need though. You’re to be my coach,” I winked sitting up again; I gave Nick a kiss on his cheek.
“More like to make sure you don’t push yourself too hard. You’re on four come on, one more.” I did one more, this one being the hardest and I blew out air as I sat up.
“One more now,” I said matter as a matter of fact and lied down. I struggled to get five in and got half way up but didn’t make it. I tried it one more time but my back was tight.
“Tomorrow, let’s get you standing.”
“How about we practice this in the shower,” I rose my eye brow smiling. “You can hold me in there; I do my standing, our bodies against each other.
“That’s probably not the safest idea.”
“Oh come on, what’s the fun in physical therapy if we can’t make it kinky?” Nick picked me up in his arms.
“The fun is in the future when you’re able to walk. Now keep your arms around my neck.” I didn’t understand the standing thing when it was really not even me standing. It was basically Nick or a harness at the P.T. building keeping me up. But this was the fourth day doing it and each day became less painful, and it was supposed to do something for my blood circulation. I put my arms around Nick’s neck; he placed me onto my feet but kept a tight hold on me. “You alright?” he asked.
“I’m fine,” I looked up at him and tried to meet his eyes. “What’s going on with you?”
“What do you mean?” he asked still not looking at me.
“You’re acting like Brian.”
“I think that’s good for now,” he lifted my legs up and placed me on the couch.
“Nick what’s wrong?”
“Nothing. I just didn’t sleep last night. I’m fine,” he pecked my lips and stood up.
“Why don’t you go take a nap?”
“I’m fine down here with you.”
“Nick, you haven’t left my side all week. I’ll just sit here and read. You go take a nap.” He looked at me intently. “GO!” I laughed.
“Just call my cell if you need anything or if you start having bad cramping.”
“I will now go.” He nodded his head and I watched as Nick went up the stairs. I couldn't figure out if he was just frustrated at the situation we were in or if he was tired of taking care of me; or if it was something completely different?