- Text Size +
"Nathan thank you for stopping by but I need to get to work, I have to work on the girls routines." I told him gathering my gym bag and running around my town home.

"Are we still on for dinner tonight, it's Sarah's birthday." Sarah is Nathan's fiance.

"Oh shoot, that's today? Sorry big brother I have plans."

"No you don't. You don't date, all you do is work and work out."

"Well, maybe I do have a date."

"Whatever, I'll pick you up at eight-thirty, that gives you time to shower and whatever after your last class you teach."

"Right." I said throwing my gym bag over my shoulder, I grabbed a couple water bottles from the fridge.

"Aren't you going to eat anything today?" I shot him a look and took an apple from the fridge.

"Bye." I said, pecking his cheek and left my house and got into my car. I drove the fifteen minute ride to the gym that I now half owned. I was in charge of team levels five, six and seven as well as most of the recreation levels. I put the windows down in my car, opened my sun roof and hit play on my new favorite CD by Katie Voegele.

"I never feared the unexpected
'Till I found myself in this peculiar place
Unaware of where I was headed
Turns out it was your footsteps I had chased

Well I should know so much better than this
But you've occupied the center of my universe

I'm moving in reverse
Under your mighty curse
I hate myself for loving you
I turn my head away
But my heart will remain
'Till the day I learn you're No Good for me

It's illogical and it's outrageous
The way I let you keep me hangin' on
Your character is that contagious
I know I should have thought before I had done
I've gone and let my impulse be my guide
And on that note I'll be defenseless for some time

I'm moving in reverse
Under your mighty curse
I hate myself for loving you
I turn my head away
But my heart will remain
'Till the day I learn you're No Good for me

Hey you there keep your distance
Don't you come around here
Don't test my patience baby
'Cause I aint gonna let you off easy

I'm moving in reverse
Under your mighty curse
I hate myself for loving you
I turn my head away
But my heart will remain
'Till the day I learn you're No Good
'Till the day I learn you're No Good
'Till the day I learn you're No Good for me

You're No Good, you're No good, you're No Good, you're No Good for me
You're No Good, you're No good, you're No Good for me

Ooh you're No Good
Ooh you're No Good
No Good for me." I sang along.

I got to the gym at noon, turned the lights on, listened to the messages on the phone and then went out to the floor, put in a CD and began making up a routine for one of my level sevens.

After an hour of working on it, I went into the office to work on the website and do other paper work. Classes would be starting in about two hours. I went online and checked my email first and saw I had one from Brian. It had been a few months since I got an email or call from Brian and hadn't seen him since Nick and I broke up, that was almost two years ago. I opened it up and began reading it.

Hey there Hails,

How are you doing hon? It's been too long since we've last talked and we actually haven't spoken to each other. You told me you needed the space you went on the plane but I think two years is plenty of space. I write you this email in hopes you will write back. I miss my best girl and everything is just not the same any more.

We are actually putting together a new album, although its coming a long slowly. Kevin is going to do a few songs with us, so that's nice. We have small hopes that he'll just join the group again.

Last I heard about you was from when Katie came up to see you about a year ago. I've been so worried. When she told me her and your brother had to take you in to be admitted for your eating disorder, it didn't sound good.'

I took a moment and ran my fingers through my hair before continuing to read anymore. My mind flashed back to a year ago.

"Hailey, we love you and you are killing yourself. You need to get help." Katie told me looking down at me, I sat on the couch. "You're sick and you don't even see it."

"I don't care."

"Well, I do and so does your brother, or he wouldn't have called me from New York to get my ass here fast."

"It's been a year, why can't the pain just go away?" I began to get upset and the too familiar tears threatened to fall.

"Because you were in love and you still are in love. It's going to take time and that's fine. But starving yourself isn't going to bring him back. You need to take care of yourself and move on."

"Let us just take you to your doctor and check you out," Nathan said leaning against the wall. "You've been to weak to do anything lately, you had to quit your job at the hospital. Hailey you're dying."

"Just to the doctor?" I asked. Nathan and Katie exchanged glances but Katie spoke up and said 'yes.' "Alright," I gave in and struggled to stand. Nathan came to my side and picked me up in his arms and brought me out to his car. I lay in the back seat and closed my eyes for the silent ride to the doctors office. When the car came to a stop, I sat up a little and Nathan opened my door. He helped me stand and I read the sign at the front of the building.

"Greensville Treatment of Eating Disorders," I said to myself. "You LIED to me!" I screamed and backed into the car.

"It's for your own good, Hailey please." Nathan tried to reason with me and held onto my arm and Katie held my other one. Two doctors had come down the ramp with a wheel chair.

"Please, Katie don't do this," I looked at her with tears streaming down my face.

"It's going to be okay," she smiled trying to keep back her own tears. I was too weak to resist them any longer and I was pushed into the wheel chair and away from Nathan and Katie.

I shook my head riding the memory and looked back at my computer screen.

'I wanted to come see you, and I called your brother but he said it would be best not to come. I heard you got out though and are doing much better. My prayers and love is always with you, I hope you know that.

I would really like to meet up with you and catch up. I'm still in Georgia right now, Bailey is getting so big, you should see him. Leigh and I are actually trying to work things out, we haven't been able to move on since the divorce but I don't know. Things happen for a reason, so maybe we're not meant to be? I understand why you've been the way you've been. You want to shut out all the pain and bad memories, but there are so many more good memories than bad.

The reason I'm writing to you is because we will be in South Carolina, Charleston tomorrow for a business meeting in early morning but I'd like to see you. Here is my cell number, (555-555-5555) please call me.

Love always,
B'

I hit the respond button but then hit discard and looked through my other email, with of course the thought of Brian and the guys on the back of my mind.
_________________
The next day I was at work late working on another routine. I had to get them done in two weeks so the girls could start practicing and putting their new skills into them. I was going through the routine trying different leap passes and turns. At the end of the song I put in a pose I thought I would fit, and when the music stopped; I was startled by clapping.

"Bravo," came a familiar voice and a figure came out to the floor.

"Brian?" I stood up from the ground and walked over to him. For some reason I had butterflies in my stomach and he wrapped his arms around me. My body stiffened a little and I hugged him back.

"I had to see you, I called your brother and he gave me directions here. He said you'd be here or at the gym."

"Yeah, I'm sorry I didn't call. I just, I'm trying to get these routines done."

"You looked good, you look great." He smiled.

"You too."

"Can I take you out for dinner?"

"Umm-"

"I won't take no for an answer."

"Alright, let me just get my things."

"Sure thing."

~*~*~Brian's Point Of View~*~*~
When I got to the gym, I was wondering whether or not she would be upset or happy to see me there. But I couldn't be this close and not having anything to do with her. I walked into the double doors and saw she was on the large blue floor, worrying on different dance moves. It was hard to believe just two years ago she couldn't walk, and that she's had three knee surgeries and heart surgery.

Her hair was cut short and framed her petite face nicely and it was darker than when I last saw her. Her body was a lot smaller than when I last saw her as well, but if she was out of the treatment center she must be doing better. Still it scared me to see her that small. As I got closer, I saw she was wearing more eye make up than she used to, but it didn't look bad. She actually looked quite striking. Her skin was tanned but it usually always was.

"All set," she interrupted my thoughts and came out with a black gym bag over her shoulder. "What are you in the mood for?" She asked and flashed a smile.

"Burger or something?"

"There is a diner right around the corner that is good, follow me?"

"Sure thing." She got into her white G6 and started it, I heard music blasting from it from some girl I didn't know. I got into my rental Jeep and followed her down the road a short ways and we parked into the 'Greensville Diner.' I got out and walked up to her, she put a purse over her shoulder and we walked inside.

"For two?" A waitress asked.

"Please," she said politely and we were taken into the back to a booth. "Thank you," she said and we were handed two menus.

I opened mine up and began looking through it.

"Aren't you going to look?" I asked her.

"I know what I'm getting." She smiled. I finally decided on just a cheese burger and set the menu down.

"So, I am sorry for just dropping in on you."

"I'm glad you did. How was the business stuff."

"Good, we just had to go over some stuff for the new album. We're here for the weekend."

"Damn it is Friday already isn't it?" I laughed. "Well, you'll love it there. It's absolutely gorgeous."

"So, I've noticed."

"Are you two all set to order?" A waitress asked.

"Yes, could I have a water with lemon, and your turkey wrap on sun-dried tomato, without the dressing please."

"Sure thing, and for you sir?"

"I'll have a water took with a cheese burger, medium."

"Fries?"

"Please."

"Okay, thank you. It will be right out," she took the menus and left.

"You look kind of surprised that I ordered," Hailey let out a light laugh.

"I've just been worried," I said sincerely.

"I've been doing well. Some days are harder than others but I'm doing a lot better."

"You look great by the way again."

"Yeah, for a while I didn't. I was down to eighty pounds..."her voice traveled off. "But now I'm one-ten and okay with that." She smiled.

"You could still use a few more on you," I winked.

"Yeah they want me at least at one-twenty. Right now that's a really high goal that's really hard. But one day at a time."

"So you working at the gym a lot?"

"Yeah, I now own pretty much half of it. I run some work out classes where I work out in the mornings. I just started that because i was just allowed to work out now."

"You look happy."

"Doing the best I can," I couldn't help but notice the tone of sadness in her voice, although she smiled brightly. "How about you, are you happy?"

"Doing the best I can, " I replied. The waitress brought our drinks out and I thanked her. I watched as Hailey squeezed her lemon into the water and dropped it in, stirring it with a straw. Her once bubbly personality wasn't there, she seemed a lot more calm with everything she did and years of pain clouded her blue eyes. They now looked grey.

"How is everyone?"

"Great, you know Katie and Howie are engaged?"

"No way?!" She asked excitedly.

"Yeah, he proposed two months ago. A.J. is still with Trish, we're thinking he'll propose to her soon."

"That's awesome. And Kevin."

"Kevin's wife, Kristen is pregnant with number two. It's a boy."

"Wow, good for them," she took a sip of her water and licked her lips. I knew what she was thinking and I didn't know if I should bring it up. "And Nick?" she finally asked.

I took in a breath and let it out thinking of what to say. Do I tell her the truth? I decided not to.

"He's doing well,helping Aaron with another album as well. His family has gotten a lot closer since they did that reality show."

"Yeah I watched an episode once..." her voice trailed off. Our foods were placed in front of us and we were both pleased to escape the awkwardness.

"Do you work tomorrow?"

"No, Saturday and Sundays I don't work at the gym unless there is a meet. And our meet season isn't until November."

"Would you like to come to Charleston and do tourists stuff?" She looked at me for a minute and I realized what she was thinking. "He won't be there, but Katie, Howie, A.J and Trish will be there."

"I don't know B," she took a bite of her wrap. It felt good to hear her call me B.

"Who knows when we'll see each other again." She bit the corner of her lip, and I couldn't help how sexy she looked.

"Alright. Where are you guys staying?"

"That hotel right by the Battery Park," I said and stuck a french fry in my mouth.

"You know that place is haunted right," she raised an eye brow.

"Sweet! I have an idea, you should come back with me, spend the night and we'll spend all day there and I'll bring you back tomorrow night. We leave Sunday afternoon." I watched as she thought about it. She definitely wasn't the same Hailey, the old Hailey would've jumped on the chance for a big group sleep over.

"What the hell," she smiled.

"That's my girl," I said and continued to eat. She ate half of her wrap and brought the other half back home with her. I followed her to her townhouse. It was in the nice part of South Carolina and when we went inside I looked around her place.

"Make yourself at home, I'm just going to pack a bag," she told me.

"You have a very nice place," I told her.

"Thanks," she smiled and headed up the stairs. I continued to look around and saw some pictures of her and her brother, pictures of her team girls winning meets, a picture of her and Katie was on an end table. About five minutes later, she came bounding down the steps with a bag.

"This isn't a trick like you did to me that one time, when we did that video is it?" She asked grabbing a water bottle out of the fridge and offering me one.

"No thanks, and no, no trick. You won't even see him. He doesn't usually come out of his room when we're away." She gave me a look of questioning but brushed it off to the side.

"Alright, all set." She said. I headed for the front door and she followed, locking her door. I just prayed she wouldn't see Nick, like Hailey, Nick had changed and it wasn't for the better.