- Text Size +
Hailey's POV:

The next afternoon, I was running around my townhouse trying to get everything ready for the barbecue. It was nice to have everyone over because of Nick's leg but it was a lot of work. The guys decided on having their get together in South Carolina, since it was an easy way for everyone to meet up. The ones who lived the furthest was Alex; he still lived in California; but that's why he came the night before.

"I can't believe you went out just now and bought a grill," I told Nick as I prepared a toss salad.

"I can't believe you didn't have one."

"My George Foreman works just fine for me to grill chicken and my turkey burgers on."

"Yeah well we don't have two days to cook all this meat," A.J. said holding up the hamburger buns.

"Why do you keep checking your watch?" Howie asked taking a sip of his wine.

"I am? I didn't even realize." I held back my smile. Truth was I had a surprise for the guys.

"Tomorrow you're meeting with your record label?" Katie asked how wrapping her arms around him.

"Yeah, they're being pretty cool about coming out here from New York." Nick smiled leaning against the counter.

"You guys must be excited to get another CD moving!" I smiled and put the salad on the table outside and came back in from the deck.

"Yeah I just hope we can come up with some ideas to make this big." Howie said seriously.

"I'm sure you will," Trish told him.

"I'm hungry," Nick said. "Why can't I put the meat on the grill yet?"

"Just give it another half hour or so." I patted his arm and glanced down at my watch again. "Where is B?"

"Living room, watching a basket ball game." Nick said and I walked out.

"Hey doll," I plopped myself down next to Brian on the couch.

"Hi," he smiled.

"You okay? You've been distant since you got in last night." I looked at him and he shrugged his shoulders; not taking his eyes off the screen.

"I'm good," he replied a minute later. His eyes didn't seem as blue as they usually were and he looked tired.

"Brian, I don't want things between us to-"

"We're fine Hailey," he cut me off and turned the TV off and stood up. As a reaction, I reached for Brian's wrist and stood up. "What?" He asked.

"Bri, talk to me. We're supposed to be best friends."

"Things can't be the same Hailey and you know it. It's great you and Nick can just pick up from where you left off; but I can't."

"Why can't we Brian? That's not fair."

"You have NO right to tell me what's fair and what's not fair." He snapped and I stumbled back. His eyes were protruding with hurt and anger, a side of Brian I couldn't remember ever seeing.

"Everything alright in here?" Nick asked coming in.

"Everything fine," I said coldly looking into Brian's eyes and walked away. If that's how Brian wanted things to be, then I'd make sure he got what he wanted.

"What was that about?" Nick asked Brian.

"Nothing important," he shook his head. Just as Nick was about to press things further the doorbell rang.

"Got it!"I ran to the door and opened it up. "HEY!" I said loudly and reached my arms out for a hug.

"What are you getting all excited for Hail-KEVIN?!" Nick had come up to the door. "What are you doing here?"

"Hi to you too Nick," Kevin laughed and pulled him in for a gentle hug, being careful not to his crutches.

"Let him in Nick," I laughed and held the door open wider and closed it behind Kevin.

"What's all the commotion?" Howie asked and when he saw Kevin he reacted the same as Nick.

"Let's go outside," I smiled and everyone went out to the deck where a large table with an umbrella was. There was a cool breeze crossing over and it felt good in the heat.

"So, you going to tell us now why you're here?" A.J. asked as he took a seat next to Nick.

"Hailey helped me get down here and plan this out. I have something I'd like to ask you guys," Kevin's green eyes sparkled as he smiled.

"What's going on?" Howie asked tilting his head.

"I've been doing some thinking and I've talked to Kristen about it. I was wondering if you guys would have me back to the band."

"I thought we already agreed on doing some of the songs on the album together?" Nick questioned.

"Yes, but I mean like helping you write the album and record with you in every song and even tour." Kevin bit his bottom lip and looked at each of his brother's eyes.

"Seriously?" A.J asked leaning forward.

"Seriously if you'll have me back."

"This is going to be a sick album!" A.J. jumped up and hugged Kevin as did Howie and Nick.

"Brian?" Kevin asked as he noticed his cousin hadn't said a word or moved from his seat.

"I'm going to go get the burgers ready," I told everyone and stood up. I kissed Nick's cheek and saw Brian shake his head.

"Brian?" Kevin asked again.

"Pay no attention to him, he's been grumpy all day," Nick joked.

"No it's perfect because I'm not going to do this next album or tour," Brian then stood up from his chair and opened the sliding glass door to go inside. Everyone stared dumbfounded and watched as Brian went out of sight.

"Where is this coming from?" Kevin asked looking at Nick.

"I haven't talked to him actually in a few weeks since after he left here." Nick shrugged.

I was in the kitchen getting everything out of the refrigerator when I saw Brian storm in and then head for the front door.

"Brian?" I called out and began following him. "Brian talk to me," I said and then he slammed the door in my face. I sighed, opened it up and jogged to catch up to him. He had already made it down the drive way. "Where are you going?" I asked getting next to him.

"Leave me alone Hailey," he said sharply and sped his walking up.

"No, talk to me," I pulled his arm and turned him around sharply.

"Nothing to talk about," he pulled his arm back hard and I lost my balanced and fell down on the pavement. I stared up at him in disbelief and he even looked shocked at what he just did. I pushed myself up and put my face into his. "I'm sorry," he whispered and dropped his head. I put my hands on his cheeks and raised his head up.

"Talk to me," I said making him look into my eyes. I watched as his eyes filled with tears and they shifted back and forth into my eyes. "You're still my best friend Bri, talk to me," my thumbs stroked his flushed cheeks.

"I can't be friends with you Hailey, can't you see that?" He asked and pulled away from me.

"What are you talking about?" I asked shaking my head and ran a hand through my hair. "Stop running away and tell me what is going on," I took his hand into mine.

"ISN'T IT OBVIOUS?" He asked raising his voice. "You're that naive or you just don't want to see the truth?"

"Brian..." I breathed knowing what he was talking about then. "I thought you, I, I thought we were okay?"

"Why because you and Nick are happy and in love again?"

"I never stopped loving Nick and you know that. But you know you have such a special place in my heart." I told him sincerely.

"Please I was just there in replace of Nick until you got him back."

"Brian you know that's not true."

"Do I? Do you know what you're saying? Think about everything we went through together HAILEY!"

"What do you want me to tell you Brian? You were for me during really hard times and I am more than thankful for having you in my life and for everything you have done for me! I'm sorry if things didn't go how you wanted them to but isn't it better that things didn't go further than what they did? We made out once and kissed once, that's it! And the first time we were both drunk. Let it go!"

"I'm trying to let it go can't you see that? The only way I can do that is by letting you go and letting Nick go."

"You canNOT punish him for whatever you thought happened between us!" Our voices were full of emotion and we were practically screaming at each other now.

"I have to do what is best for me."

"Then fine! GO and tell Nick why you're being so damn selfish Brian! Who the hell are you and when did you change?"

"When you became heartless!" He spat in my face.

"Where is this coming from? 'So, we all change. We're always changing into the person we're going to become, every day we go through things to become stronger and be that person. But that does not change your heart, YOU control your heart. Does that sound familiar Brian?! Those were your EXACT words a month ago when you came to see me. You are not this cold and bitter person. I'm sorry if I hurt you, I truly am and never meant to! You told me you were fine when you left. Since when do we lie to each other?! "

At that moment my heart began to flutter unevenly and I knew I was having heart palpitations. My mind raced to when I took my heart medicine that day, did I take it? Usually around ten in the morning I took it. I glanced down at my watch and it said one-thirty.

"I'm not doing this. Think and do what you want Brian and maybe you'll..." my voice trailed off as I tried to catch my breath and the sharp pains in my chest caused me to reach up and clutch my chest. "Maybe you'll open your eyes one day and see the truth." I turned away and headed back to my house. I walked passed Nick who was standing outside and leaning against the door frame.

"What's going on with you two?" He questioned shifting on his crutches.

"Hold on," I told him and went up stairs to get my medicine. I opened my medicine cabinet and looked through the variety of prescription bottles I had. My chest was becoming tighter and I managed to swipe down all the bottles and I hung onto the sink as I fell to my knees in pain.

"Hailey?" I heard Katie's voice call out. "Nick said you came up here upset, you okay?" She then entered the bathroom. "Hails! What's wrong?"

"Give me the blue bottle," I told her with my head down. She did as I asked and then ran out of the room; I assumed that she was going to get Nick. I opened the bottle took out two large pills, put them on my tongue and reached up for an old glass of water that sat on the counter. I sat down and leaned against the cabinet and swallowed the pills.

"Baby what's going on?" Nick came in quickly on his crutches and put them against the wall and knelt down by me. He brushed my hair out of my eyes and tried to look me in the eye. "You're sweating, Katie get her a wash cloth please." Katie did as Nick asked as he then tried to find out what was going on. I just tried to concentrate on my breathing to get my heart back on track.

Katie gave him the wash cloth and he put it on the back of my neck and it felt good. "I'm fine," I finally said.

"Another asthma attack?" He asked rubbing my arm.

"No, I forgot to take my heart medicine and was just having some palpitations. It's almost normal now." My head still hung low and my knees were drawn up to my chest; my arms hugging them.

"You're pretty pale, are you light headed?" Nick asked.

"Um," I lifted my head and did notice the room to slightly spin. "I think I just need to lay down." I let out a deep breath and Nick stood up. He then reached for my hand and I took it as he pulled me to my feet. I felt sick to my stomach and leaned into his chest. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my forehead.

"Go slow," he told me. I nodded my head and then slowly made it to my room. Thankfully it was dark and I plopped myself down in my bed.

"Nick, tell everyone I'm sorry but I think I'm going to stay in here for the night."

"It's only two baby, get some rest then come back down."

"Go talk to Brian Nick."

"Yeah I heard you two, you were getting intense."

"I don't know what set him off. He was fine when he left and I've talked to him since."

"Have you though? I know I really haven't. I've been focusing on making up time we lost with you."

"I'm a terrible person."

"If you are, I don't even want to know what I am. I'll go talk to him and then you can talk to him again later. It's Brian for heavens sake, he doesn't ever hold anything. Take a nap, I'll come get you in a couple hours." Nick kissed my lips and walked out of the room.

I curled myself up into a ball, hugged a pillow and closed my eyes re-hashing everything that Brian and I argued over. Within a few minutes I fell asleep.