- Text Size +
I sat in the chair for day two that was across from Hailey's bed. A blanket had been put around me, and another chair propped my legs up. Untouched food sat on a table next to me and my eyes followed the pattern of the heart monitor. Day two. Almost forty-eight hours. If no heart would come within the next ten hours, Doctor's were certain they would have to put Hailey onto life support to keep heart pumping; making her come out of the coma a lot harder; and she would. Her chances were fading but I was determined she would come out of all this and be brand new. Her brother stayed with me, yet he seemed to have his head on a little straighter than I had my own. It was like Nathan came to terms already but knowing his life; he was always ready for a fall.

I don't think I had actually slept yet, afraid that the moment I actually closed my eyes, I'd lose the best thing to ever walk into my life. So many times I took our relationship for granted, took her for granted when all she ever did was love me. I would marry her as soon as she was strong enough to walk down the isle. I'd pick out a ring that could only compliment her beauty as soon as her eyes were opened and we'd have the perfect wedding, perfect life and perfect family some day. I glanced down at my watch, one pm. I don't even know what happened yesterday. I think she had visitors come in and out, my focus was on her.

We've been through too much for everything to just end this way. After this was over, I'd never spend a day without her again.

I must've finally gave in to the heavyness of my eyes because I woke to a rush coming through the room. Doctor's were in and out as well as nurses and things were being moved around.

"What's going on?" I asked standing up. A nurse came up to me with a big grin on her face.

"They're prepping her for surgery."

"She has a heart?"

"She has a heart Mr. Carter," Erin, the nurse who had been more than helpful during all this squeezed both of my shoulders. "A beautiful, young heart. Now the surgery will be almost five hours long. I'll be sure to keep you updated. Go tell her family the good news," she smiled again and pushed me a little to the door. I felt a huge weight lift off me as I limped out to the waiting room where I knew Katie and Nathan would be.

"Hey Nick," Katie stood up and like she always did when she saw me, she gave me a warm hug.

"They have a heart!" I somehow found my voice.

"Oh my God!" Katie squeeled and jumped up hugging me again. Nathan sat down and let out a long sigh. "I'll go call Howie!" She turned away and took her cell phone out and went outside to call.

"We just have to get through the surgery and make sure her body accepts it." I told Nathan sitting down. He nodded his head staring at the floor. "She'll pull through Nate." I faced him a little.

"I had already given up..." His voice trailed off.

"I know."

"I'm a horrible brother. You never gave up once."

"You have to fight for what you love. You've been through a lot with her though."

"So have you."

"Sometimes, accepting the worse is easier than wondering what if." I explained and we sat in the waiting room in silence for another hour. Soon, the waiting room was filled with the guys, co-workers, a few of her gymnasts. Balloons, flowers, cards, gifts were in each hand waiting to give to Hailey for her to wake up from this nightmare. It was just after two pm when she entered the O.R. and it was just a little before six pm. It's been four hours, the nurse told me she'd be done if everything went well by this time. She came out one time two hours ago letting us know things were going well so far.

At this point I was pacing, well more like limping with this stupid boot on my foot still.

"You should get off that leg if you want it to heal Nick." Brian told me handing me a water.

"I can't. She should be done twenty minutes ago."

"Remember they took an extra hour on my heart and they were just repairing a hole. This is an entire heart."

"I know. No news is good news right?"

"Exactly." Brian smiled and glanced at my watch again. It was already six thrity and I took a seat in the only empty chair. As if on cue a Doctor came out, pulling off his surgeon mask, walking up to the large group. Everyone stopped their side talking and eyes were glued on the grey haired Doctor. I stood up, Brian's hand was on my shoulder and I felt sick to my stomach.

"The surgery wen't well, no complications at all. Her body is responding amazingly to the new heart and we're waiting for her to wake up." There were loud cheers and I sighed realizing I had been holding my breath. "The next twenty four hours of course will be crucial to her recovery and making sure she has no infections. Right now, only immediate family members will be allowed to see her, after she has come out. But we do expect a full recovery." I walked over to Nathan and gave him a hug.

"Hear that brother in law?" I asked. "She's going to be okay." He looked up at me tears in his eyes and I was surprised that I didn't have any of my own spilling from my eyes.

The waiting room began to clear out and it was just the group of us again. Erin, the nurse, had told us it could take up to two hours before she woke up because of the induced coma and the anthesetics. I sat down, trying to think of anything but the worse case scenario. I wanted time to fly by, I needed time to fly by.

So much we've been through. "God, there's no way you'd put us through all that if you didn't think we could pull out strong, bring her back to me," I prayed silently, my hands folded and forehead rested on on my knuckles. I changed my position in my seat countless times, not being able to comfortable. I'm sure the lack of sleep in two days hasn't helped the achyness I felt in my body. My eyes burned, yet that they remained opened.

I picked up a People magazine on a table and flipped through it mindlessly. I couldn't tell you who was on the cover for losing weight this month or who broke up with who. I tossed it back onto the cluttered table and sat back in my seat. Brian was on his cell phone, he was smiling and I assumed it was Bailey. Nathan was speaking quietly with two girls. They looked familiar, the two girls I met that one night at the club, Sarah and Jean. No Jess. Maybe Jen? Yes, Jen.

I watched the busy nurses move through the hospital carrying pillows, equipment, bandages. It looked as though the nurses ran the hospital and doctor's were just what people were told to feel better about their loved ones.

I looked across the hall and an older man lay on a gurney, his arm attached to an IV. He looked comfortable, or as comfortable as one could be in a hospital.

"Mr. Carter," Erin's voice broke me from my thoughts and I looked up at the young red headed nurse. "She's asking for you."

"She's awake?" Nathan asked coming up to us.

"She's awake, still pretty drousy and I'm sure she's slipping in and out of it. But she could handle a little visitation."

"You should go see her first, you're her brother," I told Nathan.

"She's asking for her fiance though, go. Just let her know her big brother is here." I stood up and nathan gave me a hug. I slowly followed Erin down the hall and she took me in the elevator and to Hailey's private room I made sure she got. Erin held the door open for me and a part of me wanted to run to her bed side and the other part stood frozen, afraid to go in.

"She's going to be okay Mr. Carter, you love her too much and I know she loves you. Her first and only word out of her mouth was your name, Nick." I couldn't find my voice and I inched slowly to her bed. The five different monitors hooked up to her didn't bother me. I could only focus on her face. As I reached her bed, I placed my hand on her smooth pale cheek. She had an oxygen mask over her face and her eyes were closed.

"You did it baby, just keep staying strong. I'm right here." I bit my lower lip to keep from crying. "Nathan will be in a minute. He's been worried about...again. You have to give us a break after this one ya know. Although you are the reason these nurses and doctor's still have jobs." I took her hand into mine and it seemed more fragile than before she went into surgery.
"Thank you God," I closed my eyes and brought my lips down to her hand to kiss it. I felt then a small pulse between my fingers and I looked up. Hailey's eyes were open and the corner of her lips were turned up right. "Hey you," I whispered. "I've been waiting to see those eyes." I kissed her forehead.

"Nick I-" she tried to get words out, her voice hoarse.

"Shh, you need to rest. But I know and I love you too. I'm going to bring Nathan in alright. I'll be back in a little bit." Her eyes closed and I held onto her hand a minute longer before turning around to get her brother. I walked out the door and Nathan was against the wall.

"I figured I'd come up and wait so you didn't have to talk with your leg and all. How is she?"

"Exhausted. But she'll know you're in there." I told him and patted his shoulder. He went in, almost as hesitant as I had been.

"You alright man?" A voice came from behind me. Brian. I turned around to face him.

"I will be as soon as she's out of here."

"Let me take you to her place, get showered, sleep a little and eat something. She's going to be sleeping for another day, it was a lot on her body. She'll need you strong while she's recooperating." I wanted to disagree, I wanted to be here for her but Brian was right. "I'm going to just say hi and let Nathan know where we're going okay?"

"Yeah, she'd love to hear your voice." I smiled and rubbed my eyes. Brian dissapeared and came back out within two minutes. We were only supposed to have one of us in there at a time.

We walked out of the hospital and to Hailey's car, someone had driven here. Brian got into the driver's side and explained how everyone had gone back to either her place or to a hotel.

Once we arrived at the townhouse, I slowly trudged in, my mind only on Hailey. I walked up the stairs, into her room where my things were and got out a clean pair of clothes. I started the shower, turning it hotter than I'm used to. I unstrapped my air cast and it felt good to get it off; as well as my other clothes and I held onto the wall as I got into the steaming hot shower. I let the water run down my body, dropping my head down and allowing the heat to massage my neck muscles After standing in that osition which must have been a good ten minutes, I washed my hair and body.

I immediately felt better as I stepped out of the shower. Drying myself off slowly, I brushed my teeth and then threw on a pair of basket ball shorts and a tee shirt and carefully walked into the bedroom. I was supposed to be wearing my boot for another week, non-the-less using my crutches but I had no idea where those even were. I plopped myself onto her bed and all of a suddent felt alone.

I knew I should be feeling thankful that she would be back in this bed with me sooner rather than never. I pulled her pillow to my chest, hugging it as if it were her and breathed in deeply, taking in her scent. I soon let my sleepless body take over and I fell asleep within minutes.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~ Three Weeks Later: Hailey's POV~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"I can't wait to sleep in my own bed!" I said excitedly sitting in the passenger seat of my car as Nick drove.

"I can't wait to sleep with you!" He smiled back, his hand holding onto mine. Since the surgery, Nick was by myside constantly, only going home to bed when I went to bed at night but was there first thing before I woke up.

"Nick, it's going to be a while before we can have sex."

"I don't even care about that...well, I do but I care more having you in my arms."

"And to shower on my own without somone babysitting will be nice too."

"No promises that you'll be alone," Nick winked at me as we pulled into my driveway. Shutting the car off, Nick got out quickly and came to my side to open my door. I was still extremely weak and needed more help getting around than I would like. Nick took my hands and helped me to my feet; a wave a dizzyness hit me which was typical to have after sitting down for periods of time.

"I want to normal again," I told Nick, my face buried in his chest, his arms around my waist.

"Well, that's not going to happen since you weren't normal before the surgery," he joked. "You good now?" He asked looking into my eyes. I nodded and we made our way to the front door. Nick unlocked it and had me to lay down in the living room.

"Nick you cleaned?" I asked.

"Yeah, your place was a mess from all of us staying here forever, we lived off pizza pretty much." I laughed and shook my head. "I'll go get the rest of your things, need anything?"

"Just one thing."

"What's that?" He asked and I reached my hand up from the couch. Nick took it and knelt down next to me.

"A kiss," I pulled him to me gently and kissed my lips sending butterflies to my stomach. As we pulled away we both had smiles on our faces and Nick got up to empty the car. Feeling tired, I closed my eyes and waited for Nick.

When Nick came back in, lay a light blanket over me and kissed my forehead. "Sleep and I'll make you a good lunch for when you wake up."

"Something light," I told him. "Please."

"Of course. I know you've been living on Jell-O for the past couple of weeks, that and IV's."

"It's a great diet," I told him and closed my eyes again.
~*~*~*~*~
A little while later, I woke up and the TV was on. Nick was lying on the floor, right by the couch watching it. I reached my hand down and played with his hair.

"Time for a hair cut," I told him.

"I know. I've been little busy," he said sitting up. "How did you sleep?"

"Alright. I can't believe how much I sleep."

"It's going to be normal for a while. You hungry?" He asked.

"A little."

"I made some soup. Think you can handle it?"

"Yeah." Nick went into the kitchen, but not before he planted a kiss on my lips, and fixed up the soup.

"So, depending on how you're feeling tomorrow, I have a surprise." Nick said smugly sitting next to me as I crossed my legs to sit up and eat the soup.

"Oh is that so?"

"Yes, but that means you're doing nothing but sleeping today and most of tomorrow."

"That's all I've been doing, is sleep. I want to get out."

"Soon enough. How is the soup?"

"Very good, you make this yourself?"

"Perhaps."

"Who knew you could cook?" I joked.

"You did thank you very much!"

"So when I'm done, I say we go take a shower and I'm going to let you shave my legs." I laughed.

"I'm not so sure that's a great idea. I'll shower with you, but maybe you can just take a bath to do that. I'd probably cut you too many times."
I rolled my eyes and finished my soup. Nick brought my bowl into the kitchen and I got up to head up the stairs. I held onto the railing and within a few steps, I felt as though I couldn't catch my breath and I had to sit down.

"What do you think you're doing?" Nick asked walking up to me when he entered the living room again.

"Ya know for being as athletic as I was, you'd think I'd be able to climb more than three steps without feeling exhausted."

"It's your first day out of the hospital and you're not supposed to be walking around by yourself," Nick put my arm around his neck and pulled me up to my feet. "I'm just going to carry you," Nick picked me up swiftly in his arms and walked up the stairs. "Damn girl we need to get you to eat more, I swear you're as light as a feather right now."

"Right because I've done so much exercise in the last month." I rolled my eyes as he brought me into the bedroom.

"Hails to stay strong, you need to promise me you're going to be even stronger with this eating disorder. You have to be mentally tough. I cannot lose you and if you stop eating, you're going to shut your body down."

Nick's voice was serious as he looked me right in the eye on the bed. "I'm not saying it's going to be easy, especially since you can't work out for a while but I am here and you need to use me as much s you have to. Promise me."

Letting out a small sigh, I put both my hands on Nick's face and said, "Promise."