- Text Size +
Hailey's POV

"Earth to Hailey," Sarah said.

"Huh? Sorry what did you say?"

"I asked what you wanted to do for conditioning for the girls. There is only five minutes left."

"Just have them do their toe raisers and splits. I have to go into the office for a minute." I walked through the large gym and and into the office. A week had passed since I saw Nick and Brian was supposed to be coming in that night. I sat down in her chair in her desk and let out a sigh.

"Everything alright?" Sarah asked coming in.

"Yeah, I just had to make a phone call," I lied.

"Nick's on your mind huh?" She took a seat.

"The girls gone?"

"Yeah, just the cheer class is finishing up."

"Brian's coming tonight. I have to go get him in thirty minutes."

"Brian huh? Didn't you two kiss the last time you saw him?"

"Yeah but I was drunk and he was too and it could never work."

"Why not? He's handsome and funny and caring, sweet, talented-"

"Is Nick's best friend, my best friend, has a kid, just got divorced."

"Ignore all that and what are you true feelings?"

"I'm in love with Nick." I said simply. "I have to go get Brian."

"Well, maybe this week with him will help you see things a little clearer?"

"Maybe. So you're all set for tomorrow. Call me if someone doesn't show up."

"Yes, take tomorrow off and you'll have the team girls Wednesday and have fun."
~*~*~*~*~ The Airport~*~*~*~*

I waited on the outside of the doors from the terminal for Brian. His plane was twenty minutes delayed and I sat in a chair, with my legs cross, moving my leg up and down. I was nervous to see Brian and this was just another reason why we couldn't be more than friends. I didn't want to ruin everything we had.

"Hey you," a voice interrupted my thoughts.

"Brian hi!" I stood up and hugged him. "Sorry I was kind of in a zone." I pulled away. "Let's go get your bag." I smiled and we went down to the luggage. "How was your flight?" I asked.

"Short, and sweet. How was work?"

"It was good, sorry I didn't get a chance to get out of my work clothes."

"You still look great," he smiled. I had on a pair of navy blue shorts and a white tank top that said "Flips Gymnastics."

"So,I thought we'd get a pizza and chill in tonight since it's already ten."

"Perfect. We could get a movie too if-" His phone began to ring. "Sorry," he pulled it out and raised an eye brow as he answered. "What's up Nick? Actually Nick right now isn't best to be talking about this." Brian held up a finger and walked away from me a little. I was curious as to what Nick wanted to talk about. I watched as Brian threw a hand in the air and ten ran it through his hair. A minute later he came back over tome. "Sorry."

"Everything okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, we haven't talked since we were both here three and half weeks ago. There's my bag," he walked up to the moving belt and picked up his suitcase.

"All set I asked?" Still wondering what Nick wanted. Brian nodded his head and I couldn't help but notice his mood had changed a little.

The car ride to the pizza shop and my house was quiet with small talk in between. We got inside and settled in the living room and Brian looked through my movie collection picking out a movie. He finally came across "We Own the Night" and put it in.

"Brian you seem distracted," I said taking a bite of my pizza. Brian put his pizza down and folded his hands. "It's about Nick?" I asked.

"You can read me too well."

"That's what best friends are for," I stressed in the 'best.' "What did he say Brian? You can tell me, I can handle it."

"Let's not get into it tonight okay? I just want to have fun and relax with you."

"Bri-"

"Please Hails," he cut me off.

"Okay," I didn't press it any more.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Nick's House~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Nick what is your deal? You've been anywhere but here with me since you got back home from South Carolina. I've tried to be patient and supportive, thinking okay maybe he's just going through something but I can't be treated as though I'm a ghoast." Ashley yelled at me as I sat playing my Play Station Three.

"That's nonsense. We went out last night to dinner."

"And we said maybe a total of five sentences to each other. I don't know what else to do? I make dinner and clean your house, I act as a wife to you and you can't even act like a friend to me. I don't ask when you come home at three in the morning or who you are going out with. I know you don't drink any more and the club scene isn't you, although I'd like to go dancing once in a while."

"What do you want from me Ashley? I give you the things you need and want. I let your girlfriends come over at any given time and it's still not enough."

"I want you Nick, I want your heart and I can't have it because some other girl you can't seem to let go, has it!" This caught my attention and I looked up. "Nick I'm not dumb, I've seen the scrap book you carry around and I've seen the DVDs of your tour with with her. I've heard you cry in the middle of the night, with me lying right next to you. I've tried to be understanding and tried to see some reason why you're with me. But I guess all I am is something to fill in the void."

"Ashley it's not like that," my voice was soft and I stood up.

"You need to admit to yourself that you're still in love, you're still hurting. That's the only way you're going to be able to let go. And you're not going to be able to do it with me in your life." She had tears streaming down her cheeks and I immediately felt like an ass. 'Great job Carter,' I said to myself.

"Ash, I'm sorry." Those were the only words I could manage to find at the time and I meant them sincerely.

"You either go after this girl before it's too late so that you can be truly happy or you allow yourself to move on. And if you choose to move on, then maybe some down the line we can be together." She pulled me into a hug and kissed my cheek. " Good-bye Nick. I'm going to pack my things." She closed her eyes tight and walked out of the living room..

After an hour, Ashley had the majority of her things and was walking out the door. The moment the door shut, I felt this overwhelming sense of relief. I could breathe a little easier and went into my room and openend the large closet. I pulled out a box, it was filled with things from Hailey and things of hers. I dumped it out on the bed and picked up my phone. I held down the number 'one' button and the other side began to ring.

"What's up Nick?" Brian answered on the other side.

"I'm going to get Hailey back," I said sternly.

"Actually Nick right now isn't best to be talking about this," Brian told me.

"Brian she's the one for me, there is no one else."

"Nick, I really can't talk about this right now, I'm with Hailey right now." For some reason Brian's words hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Why are you with her?"

"I came down to visit."

"Ashley and I just broke up and I just need to see her. I need to talk to her and tell her I'm sorry and most importantly that I love her."

"Nick I think you need a few days to really think about this. You just broke up with Ashley and you never allowed yourself to try to move on from Hailey."

"No I know what it is I want."

"But what you want might be different than what Hailey wants and she's been trying to move on. You cannot hurt her again Nick."

"Brian I thought you'd be supportive."

"Nick, I've tried to be there and you've just pushed me away. And I'm tyring to be here for Hailey and I can't stand to see her hurt again from you."

"I'll do this on my own. Thanks for being there Frick," I told Brian, knowing the nickname would sting him and I hung up. I then got online and looked on the the Internet to book a flight to South Carolina.
_________________
Brian's POV
"What do you want to do today Brian?" Hailey asked me as we sat eating the eggs she had made for breakfast.

"What is there to do?"

"Anything you would be able to do anywhere else. I mean we kinda did all the tourists stuff that's good. We could hit up the aquarium or do the battle-ship walk or go to the beach or the mall or movies or whatever you want," she rambled off.

"You took today off?"

"Yup all day, just for you."

"I told you that you didn't have to take any time off for me. I can manage myself for a few hours."

"I don't mind." She shrugged her shoulders and smiled. I kept playing in my head the conversation I had with Nick and I felt bad for him but then I was worried about my feelings for Hailey.

"I'd like to take you out tonight, like a date."

"Oh?" She asked and coughed on the eggs she had just put into her mouth.

"If you don't choke to death first, yes."

"Sorry, just went down the wrong way."

"A simple date, something I haven't done in a while; dinner and a movie?"

"Sounds good, what time will you pick me up in my car?" She winked

"How about six?"

"Okay sounds good."

"What should we do until then?"

"Bowling?"

"Seriously?"

"You don't like to bowl?"

"I didn't say that."

"Okay so we'll go. It's eleven now, we'll go bowl and I'll kick your butt in a few games and then grab some lunch, come back here to chill and then I will have to leave you to get ready for a date." She wiggled her eye brow at me and stood up to put her plate into the dishwasher and then took care of Brian's.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
"STRIKE!" Hailey yelled and jumped up.

"I think you were or are on a bowling team and won't tell me."

"No, I'm just that naturally talented," she smiled and took a seat. "Your turn B." I picked up the ball and got in my position to take my approach. As I swung my arm back Hailey yelled out, "Backstreet's Back ALRIGHT!" I turned around and looked at her and she just grinned.

"Sounded right for the time, I don't know?" She laughed and I shook my head and attempted again. This time Hailey remained quiet and I was able to bowl. I knocked all the pins down except for one. "Good job Bri."

"Well, unlike you I don't professionally bowl."

"Come on, get a spare, knock down this pin. It's an easy one and then we'll be tied."

"Right," I took the ball that came out of the receiver and stepped up. I began the steps and just as I was about to release the ball Hailey jumped on back.

"But I won't let you get that tie!" I spun her around and she hopped off.

"A bit competitive are we?"

"Always have been," she said simply and went to get her ball.

~~*~*~ Later that Night~*~*~
"Brian I had a great time tonight," Hailey smiled getting out of her car. "The bowling, lunch, dinner, the movie was good. It was a lot of fun." We walked up to her front door and stopped outside facing each other.

"Well, I had a great time too and to complete our date, I have walked you to your door and I think a good night kiss is needed," I felt like I was in high school again. She tilted her face down and I lifted her chin up.

"Brian I don't know?" Her voice was soft.

"About what?"

"I can't lose you Brian, you're a big part in my life."

"You're not going to lose me."

"I've lost Nick though and you two are barely speaking as it is."

"I have stronger feelings for you than just as a friend Hails, and I know you share some of those feelings too."

"Brian I'm not sure what I feel. We were both drunk that night, it was a kiss that's it." At that moment I pulled her to me and kissed her. A moment later we pulled away and I stared into her eyes intently.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Nick's POV~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I had caught a flight out to South Carolina as soon as possible and it took me three flights to get out there. I rented a car and by the time I got to Hailey's house it was ten o'clock at night. I rang her door bell and no one answered and her car wasn't in the driveway. I had parked across the street and waited in my car until she came home; thinking of what I would tell her.

It was around eleven before I saw her white car pull into the drive way, she got out of the driver's side and Brian walked with her up to the front door. I got out of my rental car and as I was heading towards the two when I saw Brian pull Hailey in for a kiss.

My heart went up into my throat and I felt the world spin beneath my feet. "That's why you wouldn't help me get her back, you wanted her for yourself," I said out loud before I could help it as they pulled away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Nick?" Hailey asked. I turned around on my heel and headed back to my car.

"Shit, Nick wait!" Brian called out and Hailey was already pulling on my arm turning me around.

"What's going on? Nick stop."

"I made a mistake, you're with Brian now."

"No, I'm not! Nick wait so we can explain."

"I think the kiss itself explained everything."

"Nick you should listen to her."

"Brian, you WERE my best friend. You WERE my brother and I trusted you and I know things between us lately has been rocky but I NEVER thought you would go as low as dating the woman I am in LOVE WITH!" With that I got into my car and slammed the door and squealed down the street.
~*~*~*~*~*~Hailey's POV~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I was in shock that Nick was there and as he sped his car away I felt an overwhelming come of emotions. I turned to face Brian and he had his hands on his head.

"Hails," he finally spoke and I went up to my door, unlocked it and went inside. I threw my purse on the kitchen table and pulled a water bottle out of the refrigerator.

"Did you know he was coming Brian?" I asked placing my hands on the counter, dropping my head down.

"Well, no not really."

"What did he say yesterday when I picked you up?"

"He didn't say he was coming down here."

"BRIAN TELL ME!" I raised my voice and was surprised that it did.

"He called asking for my help to get you back into his life. He told me that he was still in love with you. I told him you were trying to move on and I didn't want to see you get hurt by him again. Hailey I'm sorry. I was trying to protect you."

"I don't need protection. Brian look, you're everything a girl could want but-"

"You're still in love with Nick."

"I don't know if I am but it's not worth losing either of you or allowing you two to ruin years of friendship and brother hood. You know you and I, we're just not meant to be Bri." My voice had softened and I now faced him.

"I know you're right."

"You know I will always love you but just not as lovers." Brian pulled me in for a hug. "Can you call Nick?"

"I'll try but I doubt he'll answer."

~*~*~*~*~* Nick's POV*~*~*~*~*~
Angry and more hurt, I sped down a back road, not exactly sure where I was going. I didn't know this area at all. It had begun to rain and the wipers on the Mustang I had rented weren't working. My cell phone began to ring and I reached in my pocket to answer it. It was Brian and I hit ignore, accidentally dropping it down by my feet. I continued to drive, knowing the speed limit was 40, I couldn't go anything below 65.

My phone began to ring again and I glanced down by my feet and I saw Hailey's picture glow. I reached down to pick it up, and as I lifted my head back up, I jerked the wheel because I was going around a sharp turn. The rear wheel drive spun me around and the car slammed into a tree before I knew it.

Everything began to darken and I struggled to keep my eyes open. The phone in my hand began to ring again and I slowly brought it up to my ear.

"Hailey...help..." my voice shook.

"Nick, Nick what's wrong? Where you?"

"I, I don't know...back roads....sharp turn..." I then slipped into complete darkness.
~*~*~*~*~*Hailey's POV*~*~*~*~*~*
"Brian we have to go, somethings wrong with Nick."

"What?" He asked following me as I rushed to get to my car.

"I think he was in an accident." I started the car and pulled out quickly and went to where I thought Nick could possibly be.

"Did he say he was?"

"No, he just said help and sounded weak and that there were back roads and a sharp turn." I turned down Greensburrow road where I knew it had turns all over. My windshield wipers were on full motion and I struggled to see.

"THERE!" Brian pointed to the right, where we saw a red Mustang tipped on its side against a tree. "I'm calling 9-1-1." I pulled over, put my flashers on and jumped out of the car.

"NICK, CAN YOU HEAR ME?!" I went to the passenger side and opened the door to look in. "Nick!" I wanted to cry at the sight I saw, Nick's head was against the window, his eyes were closed, and blood was coming from him temple. "Nick, we're getting help, stay with us."

"Ambulance is on their way. We can't move him, is he responding to anything you say?"

"No, God, what if he's d-"

"Shh, he's fine. Nick can you hear me? NICK SAY SOMETHING!" Brian was now getting scared I could tell. There was no way we could reach Nick to check his pulse and he wasn't making any movement.

The rain poured harder down onto us, we decided to close the passenger door to keep Nick dry and within ten minutes of us being there an ambulance showed up, as well as a tow truck. Brian and I stood back as everyone went to work to get Nick out of the car. Brian went to put his arms around my shivering body but I pushed him away. It was because of his actions Nick was in this situation.

"Alright, his neck is stable, we can get the car up so we can get him out!" One of the EMT's called out. Another ten minutes went by before Nick was onto a gurney and being lifted into the ambulance.

"Is he breathing, is he going to be okay?" I asked trying to get closer.

"He's alive, but in critical condition. We're taking him to Greensville Hospital." I nodded my head and got into my car as did Brian. I followed the ambulance, a million things racing my mind. I glanced next to me and Brian had tears streaming down his cheeks. I couldn't blame him for what happened to Nick, I'm sure he was already doing that. I reached over and took his hand into mine and squeezed it.

Once at the hospital we had to wait in the waiting room. "I have to call his family and the guys." Brian took out his cell phone with shaking hands and dropped it.

"I'll make the calls, you go get something warm to drink." I took Brian's cell phone.

"Hails you don't have to."

"I want to," I managed to pull a smile and then pulled Brian in for a hug. "He's going to be fine. He's too stubborn and needs to get his way."

"I know," Brian got up and headed to the cafeteria. I first decided to call B.J. so she could let her family know. I explained everything that happened, that I knew of and promised I'd call her as soon as I knew more. I then made the call to Alex. It rang a bunch of times before he picked it up.

"What's up Rok?" he answered.

"Alex, its Hailey."

"Hey girl how's it going?"

"Not so great."

"Something wrong with Brian?"

"Actually it's Nick."

"Nick? I thought you were with Brian." I then went on explaining everything from the beginning. "I'll do what I can to get out there. I'll call D and Kevin. How is Brian holding up?" I looked next to me, Brian had returned with two cups of coffee and was sitting in the chair with his head in his hands.

"What do you think?"

"Okay, well, call me as soon as you know."

"I will." I hung up the phone and stood up. I went over to the window and wrapped my arms around myself still shivering in my wet clothes. Brian's phone rang and I looked down and saw that it was Kevin.

"Hey Kev."

"Hailey, how is Nick?"

"No word yet. Here I'll let you talk to Brian." I went over to Brian and handed him the phone. "It's Kevin." He nodded his head and took the phone.

Brian continued to take phone calls that came through is phone and I paced around the waiting room not being able to focus on anything. Two hours passed and I was now slumped on the ground against the wall. I couldn't understand why no one would tell us anything, that was until a doctor in a surgical mask walked into the waiting room.

He pulled the mask off his face slowly and shook his head, looking angry.

"No," I said to myself and I felt my heart drop and start to race out of control. I stood up and as I was about to go to the doctor he had reached a different couple and was talking to them. That broke me right there and I fell to my knees and started crying.

"Hailey, it's going to be okay." Brian was by my side trying to hold me up. "Breathe Hails, come on."

"I-I thought that doctor was coming to tell...us...Ni...Nick was gone."

"You need to slow down your breathing, look at me." He cupped my face into his hands, brushing my tears away with his thumbs. "There you go, take a deep breath." I did as Brian told me and then pulled me. I felt weak and my head spun, I clung onto Brian and put my face into his chest.

"I'm light headed."

"You're alright, let's sit down." Brian, still holding me, walked me over to a chair.

"Why haven't they come out to tell us what's going on?"

"I'll go ask again, you alright here?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry for the break down."

"No, it's good to see you're still able to show signs of being human," he winked and stood up to go to the main desk. He came back a minute later, sitting down and letting out a long sigh.

"No luck?"

"They don't know anything."

"Carter family?" A doctor then asked out of no where. Brian and I stood up at the same time.

"How is he?" Brian asked and then took my hand into his.

"First of all, let me apologize for no one coming to talk to you about Nick's situation. Nick came in with head trauma, fractured ribs a broken leg and contusions throughout his body."

"He's going to be alright though, right?" I asked now squeezing Brian's hand harder.

"The next twenty-four to forty-eight hours are critical for Nick,right now he's in a coma."

"He will wake up, right?" I asked biting my bottom lip.

"Like I said the next couple of days are critical. I'll show you to his room, please follow." Still hand in hand, Brian and I followed the doctor up to the intensive care unit. "I'll be sure you're updated on his condition thoroughly from now on."

"Thank you," Brain told the doctor and we walked up to Nick's bed; neither of us prepared for what we were about to see.