- Text Size +
Brian's POV

Nick lay flat on his back, eyes closed and monitors hooked up to him left and right. His head was bandaged, scraps were on each of his cheeks. His right leg was in a cast and up in a sling. He was going to be pissed he broke the same leg again when he woke up. I glanced next to me and saw that the color of Hailey's face had completely drained.

"Hails maybe you should sit," I put my hand on the small of her back and moved a way closer to Nick. He brought a shaky hand up to his head and gently ran her fingers through a few of hair that stuck out from the gauze. She then closed her eyes and kissed his forehead.

"I'm so sorry Nick," she whispered.

"I'm going to go make some calls and give you some time with him. Hailey didn't answer but pulled a chair up to Nick's bed. She then took his hand into hers and began talking to him.

~*~*~*~*~The Next Day~*~*~*~*~

"Brian," Kevin walked up to his cousin in the hospital and gave him a hug.

"Glad you're here"

"Me too, any change?"

"None."

"Where is Hailey?"

"Right by his bed. She hasn't left his side once. Katie tried to get her to go home and get some rest and shower but wouldn't go."

"Her and Howie come in today?"

"Yeah this morning. Kate just went to go get some new clothes for her and Howie is in there right now."

"Aaron and his sisters?"

"Should be out tonight maybe tomorrow. And Alex I have no idea."

"His flight was delayed but should be in tonight. Brian why don't you go to Hailey's get some sleep?"

"This is my fault, I can't leave him."

"What are you talking about?"

"Nick was upset because of me and now he's in there hanging on for his life and-" Kevin pulled me in for another hug and the tears I had been keeping back began to fall.

"This isn't your fault. Nick has been reckless with his life these past months and something like this was bound to happen. I'm going to go in to see them."

"I'm going to go outside and get some fresh air. We can only have a few of us in there at once."

~*~*Hailey's POV*~*~I looked at one of the monitors that read Nick's brain waves and there was no change. I was thankful for his heart beat and rise of Nick's chest. The doctor said that he had high chances of waking up as long as they didn't have to put a breathing tube down his throat.

Howie was talking to Nick but I wasn't hearing a word he was saying. We were told that the more you talked to a person in a coma, the better the chance of them coming to.

"Am I glad to see you man," Howie told Kevin giving him a hug.

"Nick what have you done to yourself now," Kevin asked walking closer to the bed. "How are you doing Hails?" Kevin kissed my cheek.

"Fine," was all I said not taking my eyes off Nick. Kevin looked over to Howie, who only shrugged. Kevin and Howie continued talking to Nick attempted to say things to make my feel better. I loved them for that and I know they were hurting just as much and were just as scared as I was.

A few hours later Brian had come back into Nick's room with Katie. "Hailey let's go home for a bit, shower and take a nap." Brian told me and I shook my head no.

"Hon, I think it's best you go home for a bit. Alex and Trish just got here and they're going to want to spend some time with Nick."

"I am NOT leaving him again."

"Hailey you never left him. Nick's going to be okay, just go for a few hours and then come back."

"Katie, I'm not leaving." Her and Brian took an arm and stood me up. I was pulled up too fast and stumbled backwards.

"Easy there," Brian put a hand behind my waist.

" the last time she ate?" Katie asked.

"Jesus I'm right here in front of you two! I'm fine," I pulled away from them and went up by Nick's head. "I'm staying here," I stroked cheek. "Until his eyes are looking into mine, I am staying here. Everyone is more than welcome to use my place as a place to sleep, eat, shower or whatever. But I need to be here."

"Alright, just relax. Here are some clean clothes I picked up for you though." Katie handed me a bag. I took it and looked from the bathroom across the hall to Nick back to the bathroom. "I'll be right here holding his hand until you come back. I put a toothbrush and your toothpaste in there too." Katie took Nick's hand into hers and kissed it.

"I um...I'm sorry I snapped." I said and took a step away from Nick's bed and stopped.

"Come on, I'll make sure you get dressed and a little freshened up under ten minutes. Starting NOW!" Brian tried to joke and I pulled a half smile. I went into the bathroom and changed into a pair of clothes and was loving Katie even more for packing my navy blue valore suit with a tank top and pair of sneakers.

I brushed my teeth and splashed my face with cold water and took in a deep breath looking into the mirror, I grabbed onto the sink. I felt a little dizzy and I knew that part of it was because I hadn't had anything to eat in twenty-four hours and the fact I haven't my medication for my heart. I wasn't about to tell anyone because, well, only Nick and my brother knew about it and I didn't want anyone to worry about me.

I smoothed my hair out a little, thankful for having short hair now, I stepped back out into the cold hospital hallway.

"Hey you," Alex came up to me and pulled me in for a hug. His arms were around me were more than welcomed. Something about A.J. always calmed me and most people would think he'd be the one to start commotion.

"I'm going in to see Nick, care to join?" Alex asked, knowing those were thew words I needed to hear. He put an arm around me and we went back into Nick's room. Trish was in there with Kevin and they were telling Nick to wake up.

"Hey Nick, it's Bone, I'm here to kick your ass for having us all worry about you like this. Always have to be center of attention don't you." Alex was then silent and looked up to the ceiling. "Damn this is harder than I thought it was going to be," he started to get choked up. Tricia put her arms around his waist and kissed his shoulder.

The rest of the day and night was spent of everyone taking turns to speak with Nick and to see him. I had Katie take everyone at ten at night to my house to get a somewhat good night's sleep.

"So you have until tomorrow morning to wake up Nick. And then, I may have to really hurt you. It's been almost forty-eight hours and honestly I'm getting kind of tired. Everyone is here, well Aaron and your sisters should be here tomorrow. At least one of them call every hour checking in." I sat on the edge of the bed and took Nick's hand into mine.

"I can't imagine what you were feeling when you saw Brian and I kiss the other night. But I can honestly tell you, for me, that it didn't mean anything. And when you wake up I just want us to talk everything out and I need you to know that I still love you Nick. I never stopped and it sucks so bad that I have tell you those words when you're not even awake to hear them.
And to know that you had come to see me...God why did you have to get into that car?" I wiped a tear away.

"Hailey?" A voice came from behind me and I turned around to see who it was.

"B.J. hi," I stood up and gave her a hug. Leslie was next to her and I gave her a hug too. I looked down at my watch and it was eight am.

"How is he?"

"No change, but you know how your brother is. He'll come out of it on his own terms. I'm going to go get some coffee and let you two spend some time with him." Before walking out of the room, I went up to Nick and kissed his cheek. "I'll be back in a bit," I whispered and went out of the room.

"Good morning," came Brian's voice who was holding two cups of coffee and handed me one.

"You read my mind, I just was letting Leslie and B.J. have some time with him. Did you get some sleep?" I asked.

"Kind of not really. You didn't sleep at all did you?" I shook my head no. "I can't talk you into going home for a bit?"

"Brian I can't."

"Okay. Here I brought you a bagel and some fruit." We sat down in a the chairs that outside of Nick's room and ate. "Hailey I wanted to talk to you about the kiss."

"What about?"

"You were right, we're better friends than a couple and you're still in love with Nick and he's clearly in love with you. And when he wakes up, you two will be together like you're meant to be."

"You truly are my best friend B and I do love you." I reached for his hand.

"Ditto," he smiled.

~*~*~*~*~
Another day had passed, slowly. Nurses and doctors came in checking Nick's stats. Aaron and Angel made it. Before we knew it, night had come and Nick still wasn't awake. Every hour now that passed, was a step further away Nick was from us. Everyone but Aaron had gone to my place and he seemed to be taking Nick's situation the hardest.

"I need to go call my Dad, I old him I would by the end of tonight," Aaron got up and I nodded my head. A nurse then came in with bucket of water and wash cloth.

"I'm going to give Nick a sponge bath," she told me. "If you want to step out, it shouldn't be that long."

"Could I do it?" I asked standing up. "Please."

"I don't see why not, you have been here since he was brought in right?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, well, if you need anything just press the call button." She set the bucket and cloth on the table next to Nick's bed.

"Thank you." The nurse smiled and squeezed my shoulder gently, telling me to hang in there. I soaked the cloth in the water and began to wash Nick's right hand, careful to avoid the IV's going into his veins. "I know this is one of your fantasy's Nick, that's if I were in a real skimpy nurse outfit and you were of course awake." I smiled now going up his arm. I continued to wash his face, neck, under his arms and legs.

"You've made your point Nick, it's time to open your eyes. I can't continue to live off of coffee much longer." At that time, I had a heart palpitation and I reached behind me to sit in the chair. I let out a small cry as I sat down and missed the chair.

"Hailey? You okay?" Aaron asked kneeling down next to me.

"Yeah, I just am more tired than I ," I lied and with Aaron's help sat up in my chair. "I'm going to go get some more coffee, you want some?"

"Sure," Aaron eyed me as I walked out of the door. I pulled out my phone from my pocket and turned it on. You weren't allowed to have cell phones or electronics on that could mess up with the monitors. I punched in numbers and put the phone up to my ear.

"Hey Hail's how is Nick?"

"Nate I need you to do me a favor please."

"Of course."

"I need my heart medication. I haven't taken it in three days and I need it."

"What? You need to be on that all the time."

"I've been a little distracted over here. Everyone is at place but I just don't want them know. They have enough to worry about with Nick."

"Okay, I'll go get it right now. So, no change huh?"

"None but he'll be alright."

"I'll see you in a bit."

"Thanks." I hung up the phone and went and got two coffees.
~*~*~*~ The Next Day~*~*~*
"When did she fall asleep?" Katie asked Aaron quietly.

"I think about two hours ago, around six. She cannot be comfortable," Aaron responded referring to my head lying at the edge of Nick's bed, sitting in the chair still.

"She needs it, I think its the first time she's slept." Katie pulled up the blanket around me a little more.

" How is Sleeping Beauty?!" A.J. yelled going into the room.

"Shh, you're going to wake her," Katie hit A.Js arm.

"Too late," I yawned sitting up and I rubbed my neck.

"I was trying to wake Nick," he said in defense.

"I have to pee," I said and stood up. "Good morning Nick," I kissed his lips and walked out of the room.

"She acts like he's awake," Aaron said.

"I think we should all act that way," Alex said taking a seat.

Later that night, it was just me in the room with Nick. I was sitting on the side of his bed, his hand in mine and brushed my fingers through his hair.

"So everyone has gone back to my place. I'm kind of afraid what it looks like, I haven't been home since...well you know. You really need to wake up. I keep putting on clean clothes and giving myself sponge baths but my hair needs a good wash. When you do wake up, I don't know if I should yell at you or kiss you or what?" I looked up one of the monitors that had made a few beeps.

"A kiss sounds good," the words barely audible but I heard them.

"Nick? Oh my God, Nick, open your eyes." My hand went to his cheek and Nick's eyes slowly fluttered opened. "Oh thank God," I kissed his lips. "I have to get a doctor, someone?! He's awake!" I yelled and pressed the call button over and over.

"Do you have to yell?" He asked.

"I'm sorry, I'm just so," tears started streaming down my cheeks.

"Excuse me," a nurse pushed me out of the way. "You'll need to step out right now, we'll call you back in when we're done." She said.

"I'll be right back, I love you," I kissed his forehead again and quickly stepped out of the room and pulled my phone out. I dialed Brian's number and began pacing while it rang. It was only ten at night but it had been a long few days.

"HE'S AWAKE!" I yelled before Brian could get out the full word of 'hello'.

"What?! Are you serious?"

"YES! The doctor's are in there with him now. But he's awake!" I then heard Brian yell, "WAKE UP, NICK'S AWAKE!!"

"We're on our way Hails," he hung up and I went back to wait out of Nick's room.

Five minutes later the doctor came out smiling.

"He's in the clear and looks as though he'll have no long term injuries. He will need to be in the hospital a few more days but his injuries should be okay within time. He needs plenty of rest but I am sure you just made the calls and one at a time you can go see him."

"Thank you so much," I threw my arms around his neck and gave him a hug. I then went into Nick's room and up to his bed. "Hey," I whispered.

"The doctor tells me I've been in a coma for over three days day?" I nodded my head and took Nick's hand into mine.

"Gave us quite the scare. Everyone is on their way over."

"I was also told that you never left my side."

"Doesn't it show? I haven't showered in forever," I laughed lightly.

"You're beautiful Hails," Nick's eyes began to close and then open. "I love you Hailey."

"You feeling okay besides the obvious?" I asked worried as Nick's face paled more than it already was.

"Good-bye," his eyes closed and his heart monitor went flat line.