- Text Size +
Three and half hours later, after Nick's arrival and surprising Kylie with her new keyboard they completed the song Kylie had started over two years ago. It was changed around more than either had planned but Kylie went with her emotions and let out a sigh after she sang the last note to Nick.

"I feel..." She bit her lower lip thinking for a second and let out a half grin. "I feel complete."

"I'm glad, that's how you should feel. Kylie, thank you for sharing all of this with me."

"Thank you for being there. It just felt natural telling you honestly." She shrugged her shoulder.

"When is the last time you talked about his death and everything?"

"Truthfully, I never have to anyone. I mean my parents literally shut me out. I got my own life and started new and although I've always been happy, there has always been an emptiness in me. But I think the hole is a bit smaller now. You'd think I'd be more fucked up than I am." She laughed lightly.

"You're just a strong person. But you know if you ever need to talk about it again or just want to talk about your brother in general, I'm here."

"Same goes for you mister," Kylie raised her left eye brow poking Nick in the side.'

"I know. But I am starving let's go get something to eat."

"Yeah I feel like I need some air. Let me throw on a hat because my hair is crazy since I didn't blow dry it after I showered. But not as crazy as yours," she ruffled his hair and stood up. Before turning completely around, she stopped for a second, turned to face Nick and gave him a light kiss on his cheek. "Thanks," she said again before turning away.

Nick smiled and felt good himself for helping her out. He realized that the two now had more in common than he could imagine and although he still felt a strong connection with Kylie, he couldn't allow the two do be anything more than friends. She was set herself in making sure that only a friendship were to come out of this.

"Okay ready," she bounced into the room, wearing a New York Knicks cap, still sporting her sweats. Her face seemed brighter and Nick was happy to see that there were no left over tears from hours before. Still, he couldn't help but be worried for her. He cried like a baby when Stacie was taken away from him, he couldn't imagine losing Aaron or any one of his siblings. Especially a twin. But he knew she carried a lot inside, still blaming herself every day for his death. He only wished there was someway to help her cope and have acceptance that she had no control over what happened that night.

"What do you feel like?" Nick asked stepping out of her door and waited as she locked it from the outside.

"Want to go to Aja Noodle?"

"What's that?"

"Kinda like Chinese but healthier. It's good."

"Sure, I'm up for new. I'll drive," Nick said as they got into the elevator to go down six stories. The elevator made creaking noises and Nick glanced around nervously.

"Don't worry it won't break, it hasn't yet." Kylie laughed. "At least not while I've been inside it. I have had to take the stairs because it wasn't working."

"Lovely," Nick said sarcastically and when the door opened he let out his breath that he had been holding unconsciously.

"So I was thinking of going camping next week, I have Tuesday through Thursday off and go in Friday."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah, what do you say about getting some people to go?"

"Sounds like fun. I'll ask Jay about it tonight, he may be doing some studio stuff next week but we'll see. He's not really a camping kind of guy but he would probably have fun."

"You should invite Brian and the other guys up?"

"Maybe," Nick shrugged as he turned his windshield wipers up a notch. "It is really pouring. We should've ordered in."

"I needed to get out of the apartment. It's not that bad and we need the rain. It's been like a month."

"I know."

"Turn here at the light," Kylie pointed to the left and Nick got into the lane. "So when are you going to start?"

"Start what?" Nick glanced at her with a funny look as he waited for the light to turn green.

"Start singing again." Kylie looked at Nick and watched as he his facial expression changed from a smile to a coldness. The light turned and Nick continued to drive, the radio was on low and a soft muffle of Pink's "So What" was on.

"I really don't know. I might not."

"Nick that's your life."

"Was."

"You're just going to give up and waste all of that talent you have."

"Look I'm helping you with your stuff, which I don't mind doing but maybe it's not what I'm supposed to be doing for the rest of my life. It took you this long to get this song out-"

"That's different Nick."

"Not really. I chose to stop singing after she died because it wasn't and still is not in my heart. You chose to not write that song because it wasn't in your heart yet."

"Alright I'm sorry I brought it up. I just thought you should know how your music actually reaches out to some people," Kylie's voice trailed off and she stared out to her right. She watched as the rain drizzled down and a minute later Nick pulled into the parking lot. Putting it into park, neither of them moved and he looked over at Kylie.

"I didn't mean to snap at you I'm sorry. Did my music reach out to you?" He asked hopeful.

"Maybe," Kylie had her arms crossed and said it in a sarcastic tone.

"Which song?"

"Pssh not going there boy, let's go eat." She grabbed her purse and got ready to open the door. "Ready to make a run for it?"

"Yup," Nick took his keys out and the two go out of the car and ran to the restaurant. They were quickly seated, and for being almost five o'clock it wasn't too packed yet.

As the two looked at the menus, deciding what to have for dinner Kylie's phone began to vibrate. She took it out of her purse, looked at the number and then set it back down.

"Aren't you going to answer it?"

"I don't know the number, if it's important they'll leave a message. Do you know what you're getting?"

"Probably whatever you'll have because I have no idea what any of this is."

"I just get the noodles with steamed veggies. It's not as boring as it sounds but you getting what I'm getting will be boring. Their chicken and rice is good."

"Yeah?" Nick asked and then glanced down at his menu again. "Alright. If I'm on the toilet all night, I'll be sure to call you and talk to you while I'm suffering.

"Oh stop, this is healthier than Chinese I told you." The waitress than came over and took their order, a long with ordering a bottle of wine. Kylie's phone then made a low beep and she picked it up to listen to the voice mail. She hit her four numbers in for her password and put the phone to her ear. Nick watched amused as her nose scrunched up and a smile played on her lips. She then hung up and put the phone down.

"So who was it? Must have been important if they left you a message."

"Remember that guy I met at work that one night. That his date was supposed to meet him there and then he was supposedly stood up. Well, he wants to take me to dinner later this week."

"Oh really?" Nick asked, trying to hide the jealousy in his voice. They were however just friends. "You going to go?"

"It's kinda weird it's been almost two weeks since I met him."

"That's true."

"But he is a lawyer and maybe he's just been busy?"

"True again."

"I'll call him later," Kylie tossed her hand up and took a sip out of her water. Their meals were brought soon and they continued to talk and make plans for their camping trip.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Later that week Kylie was getting herself ready for her date with the lawyer. She promised Nick numerous times that she would call him if she had any problems and when she got home, even if it were seven in the morning; hinting their would more than just a dinner date. Spritzing on her perfume, not her favorite, Bath and Body Works' "Sensual Amber", but Victoria's Secrets "Heavenly" because she only wore that for herself or around someone she liked. This was a fragrance that most women wore, it was strong but nothing that would leave a guy remembering her if he were to smell it again.

Glancing at herself in the mirror, she spun around giving herself the okay. He was taking her to a fancy restaurant, not something she was used to or matched her personality. She wore black Capri dress pants with a blue and black print halter top. Strappy heels were on her feet, exposing her newly pink polished toes and a toe ring on her right foot. Her ivy tattoo was exposed on the top of her left foot and she then thought that it was time she got a new one.

Seconds later her door buzzed and she hit the intercom. "Come on up," she spoke into it and picked up her purse. This would be the first date she's had since moving from New York. Between playing in coffee shops, writing music and work, she didn't have time and she had to ask for this night off; knowing she'd work a double shift Saturday.

A minute later a knock on her door made Kylie jump as she applied her flesh colored lip gloss and she threw it into her purse. Taking a deep breath in and letting it out slow she opened the door.

"Hey," she smiled brightly at her date. "You look great Mark."

"And you," he took her hand and kissed it, "Look beautiful."

"Thanks," Kylie gave him a smile. "Shall we?"

"We shall," Mark held her door open as she left and she turned around to lock it up. "Ya know I was afraid that this elevator wouldn't hold up on the way up."

"Yeah I usually take the stairs, but it hasn't quit on me yet...while inside of it at least."

"It's died before?"

"Yeah it gets repaired, or whatever that means like once a month. So where are we going."

"You like sea food?"

"Love it," she smiled and they went down the stairs. She could smell his cologne, it was strong and still couldn't determine if she liked it yet. Usually she was a sucker for any guys cologne that they wore but this one was almost over bearing. She was impressed but not surprised by the red Jag that sat on the street. He was a lawyer and this was just a estimate that he was a decent one.

"So you must forgive me for not calling you sooner," he said sincerely as he opened her door. She thanked him and got in.

"It's fine, I know how it is to be busy," she smiled politely.

"They had me go to Ohio for this case that no one else would take."

"Did you win?"

"Of course," he grinned and put the car into first gear.

"So how does this baby ride?"

"You'll be able to tell as soon as I pull out of here." He released the clutch and applied the gas, quickly pushing the clutch back in and shifting to second.

"Not bad," Kylie said. "You just get this?" She asked raising her left eye brow in amusement.

"Yeah, how did you know?"

"First stick shift?"

"Maybe," he said stiffly.

"I drive a stick too, sorry just giving you a hard time." She laughed. "It's a great car."

"Well, maybe I should have you show me how to drive it."

"Maybe you should." And before she knew it, he was pulling over and getting out of the car, allowing Kylie to get into the drivers seat.
~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"So you can't tell her I let you listen to this track, she'd flip out since it's just a rough edit." A.J. explained to Nick down in the studio.

"It's good she finally got the fourth song completed though. Let's hear it."

*I couldn't make this up
I have been outdone by my own kind
I always traded up, yeah
Now I'm a victim for the first time

And I can't pretend I'm not over the edge

Well, well baby what do you know
You turned the tables on me, didn't you?
My, my, my it only serves me right, now I Get It
This is how hurt feels
And it's everything they say it is

I was untouchable
Until karma crashed my party
Found out I'm crushable, oh
And I'm the only one who's sorry

It's unprecedented, I can't turn the page

Well, well baby what do you know
You turned the tables on me, didn't you?
My, my, my it only serves me right, now I Get It
This is how hurt feels
And it's everything they say it is

No, no, no don't you go
I do all the breaking up around here
No, no, no don't steal my show
You should be the one crying these tears

Well, well baby, what do you know
You turned the tables on me, didn't you?
My, my, my it only serves me right, now I Get It
This is how a heart breaks
And it's all it's cracked up to be

Well, well baby what do you know
You turned the tables on me, didn't you?
My, my, my it only serves me right, now I get it
This is how hurt feels
And it's everything they say it is*

Lyrics by Kate voegele "I Get It"


"That's the rough edit?" Nick asked when it was done.

"Yeah, she doesn't like the second verse."

"She needs to leave it. It's done."

"I tried telling her the same. She wants to come in tomorrow to fix it."

"She doesn't need to."

"Maybe if you tell her this, she seems to listen to you. Where is spunky tonight?"

"Date..."Nick's voice was barely audible and Alex looked up at Nick almost in shock.

"Huh? Did I hear you right?"

"Yeah. No big deal."

"I thought you two were-"

"No. We decided we'd be better friends which we are."

"That's bullshit. You both are like head over heels."

"Nah man. She's a really good friend and I'm glad that we're friends."

"Well, when are you going to start dating?" Alex asked carefully knowing Nick probably wasn't ready.

"It's too soon." Alex only nodded understanding.

"She's got some rough songs on here. Looks like some poor fool broke her heart."

"Yeah I really don't know," Nick said thinking. In all honestly this song had nothing to do with her brother and it was about a relationship. She didn't tell him about anything but then again he never really asked.


"Let's go grab some grub." Alex told Nick who only followed thinking about what Kylie was doing.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"Dinner was great, thank you again," Kylie said as they walked up and down the streets of busy L.A.

"My pleasure. Thanks for driving," Mark winked. "So I know you told me you're bar tending and doing the music thing but didn't you go to school?"

"Mmm no," she shook her head. "It wasn't for me. I'm happy now, isn't that what it's all about?"

"I guess."

"Aren't you happy with your job?"

"I make good money so yeah."

"Well, what do you do for fun?"

"This is pretty much it. I don't get time for much more honestly. Not for another fifteen years," he half joked. "Doesn't not knowing scare you? Like what if this music thing doesn't work out?"

"Then at least I know I tried my hardest to get my dream to come true. Maybe I'm only supposed to do small cafe shops? But people are still listening to me."

"That's pretty amazing," Mark told her stopping to look at her in her eyes.

"What is? Singing in coffee shops?"

"No, you just not caring about the unexpected. I couldn't ever do that. I have to know what I'm doing every day, pretty much every minute is scheduled out for me."

"Yeah see, I don't think I could live like that. The only thing I know every week is when I have to work and even sometimes I tell them to call me randomly to ask to work."

"Speaking of work, I'm going to have to take you home because I have to leave at five thirty am to catch a plane to New York."

"Alright," Kylie smiled and she knew then it would be there last date.