- Text Size +
The next morning Nick woke up, his head throbbing and the light shinning on brightly. His chest felt heavy and as he tried to move he looked near him and saw a mess of dark auburn hair. He tried to remember where he was and who was on him. It wasn't Kylie. What did he do last night? It all then came back, the beers, the shots, the girl. Was the sex at least good? It had been forever it seemed since he had any but he couldn't even remember.

In the distance he could here his phone vibrating and his jeans were on the ground away from the bed. As he tried to sit up, Illona moaned a little and rolled off him.

He sat up reached for his shirt that lay on the ground and put it on. He then stood up found his boxers then his jeans. After getting dressed he took out his cell phone and opened it. One miss call from Kylie.

"She's not going to let me live this down." He hated one night stands, he hadn't done one since the last Backstreet tour. It wasn't who he was but what were the chances he'd see this girl again. He quietly walked out of her bedroom and to the front door. His eyes squinted in the hot Californian sun and he put the phone to his ear after he pressed the send button.

"Where are you?" Kylie asked as she picked up.

"Sunset boulevard."

"Be there in fifteen. There's a bagel shop at the corner."

"Okay I'll be there."

"See you." Nick shook his head and had to laugh at how well Kylie knew him already. He saw the bagel place and walked to it. He ordered two coffee's and a water before sitting at a table by the door. Within fifteen minutes Kylie walked in. She wore teal shorts, a white halter top and brown flip flops. She looked fresh and bubbly but when didn't she?

"Morning sunshine," she kissed Nick's cheek and sat down.

"Coffee," he pushed over her cup as she put her sunglasses up onto the top of her head.

"Thanks. Glad to see you're in one piece. So how was it?"

"I honestly have no idea."

"Did you just walk out?"

"Yeah. Not usually how I am so I feel bad."

"But she obviously knew that last night was all it was going to be." Nick looked up surprised at what Kylie just said.

"You're not going to lecture me?"

"Nah. You deserved it that's why I got you good and drunk. I made those shots doubles," Kylie laughed.

"Thanks, I'm feeling them still." Nick said sarcastically and took another sip from his coffee.

"Alex called me. I'm going to record the song we just did."

"That's great. It's ready."

"Nick can you do me a favor?"

"Of course."

"Will you sing in it with me?"

"Kylie-"

"Please, it will sound better with a duet and you know that."

"Ask A.J. He will."

"But his voice won't go with mine with this type of song. Nick just try?" Nick let out a sigh running his hands through his hair.

"Let me think about it," he rubbed his eyes.

"Thank you Nick!" Kylie jumped up and gave him a hug.

"I need to go home and shower and get some aspirin."

"Oh here," Kylie dug in her purse, opened up a container and gave him two Excedrin's.

"You rock," he said putting them on his tongue and taking a swig from his water.

"I know. Let's go," she hooked her arm through Nick's and they made their way to the car.
~*~*~*~*~
"Alright I think we have the music all set, we need to just do the hard part. The voice recording. Did Nick get back to you yet?" Alex asked still playing with the music board.

"No. He said he'd let me know tomorrow." Kylie sighed. "I mean if he doesn't, would you want to try with me?"

"Of course but I think you're right. His voice would go well with yours. But Nick hasn't sang in such a long time."

"It's not like he could forget how A.J."

"Yes but it's an emotional thing now."

"I know." Kylie glanced down at her watch. "Dang, I have to go home and get ready for work. I will call you in the morning. Thanks Alex," she gave him a hug and kiss.

"Okay, I'll try to talk to Nick tonight. I think he's planning on staying home. I heard you weren't so nice to him last night."

"I just made the drinks. I didn't order them for him."

"Doubles?" Alex laughed.

"He deserved it. Later Jay." Kylie laughed and bounced out the door.
~*~*~*~*~
"Nick it's one song and it would mean a lot to her."

"I know A.J but my heart just isn't into it anymore."

"But it's not for you. It's for her."

"And if you knew the whole story behind the song you'd see why it's important to have my whole heart into it."

"We'll do one recording of it. If you don't think you can fully do it then I'll figure something else out with her."

"I don't know."

"You helped her write it."

"I know."

"There is something there between the two of you."

"I know," Nick sighed.

"So?"

"Okay I'll do it."

"Let's do it Monday afternoon at one?"

"Okay."

"Good. You'll be glad you did this Nick."

"Hope you're right."

When am I not right?" A.J. asked defending himself.

"You really want me to go there?"

"Alright guess not. Want me to tell her, or you?"

"I'll send her a text, she's at work right now. It shouldn't be too busy for a Sunday night." Nick took out his phone.

::I'll do the song.:: He wrote and hoped he would be able to be strong enough for her sake. It could be her first single, but maybe not since he was in it. He didn't want her to get fame because of Nick Carter. Perhaps "It's Only Life", nah too slow he thought. He then realized that A.J. would pick out the song with her. His thoughts were broken to the vibration to his Pearl.

::I LOVE you Carter!:: Nick couldn't help but smile as he read it. Before he could respond he got another one.

::When are we going to record??:: Nick remembered what A.J had had told him and wrote back.

::Monday at one::

::Okay I'll be there! Thanx again.::

::Don't thank me yet. How is work?::

::Kind of slow. Hopefully be out by midnight.:: Nick had gone up to his room and laid down in bed. He felt tired from the previous nights events. He flipped on his TV with his cell phone in his hand.

::What are U doing over there?::

::Chillin. Tired.::

::It's only ten!::

::Not everyone can be up at all hours like you.::

::That's why I'm special.::

::Very true.::

::Get some sleep. I'll call U tomorrow.::

::Okay goodnight.::

::Sleep sweet Carter.:: Nick set his phone next to him and within minutes he had passed out.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"LAST CALL!" Kylie shouted and rung the bell. There were only a few people in the bar and they were playing darts.

"Okay Ky I'm going to head out. Are you good to lock up?"

"I'm good Sam! Goodnight!" She smiled and finished cleaning the counter. She watched as a couple walked out the exit. There was one lone drinker at the bar finishing his whisky. "Alright Sir we're going to close in about five minutes," Kylie said politely.

"You got it baby," he slurred and grinned at her. He was about thirty-five years old, his brown hair was peppered with gray hairs. He had bright blue eyes and was fairly decent looking. His fore arms were built and tanned.

"Do you need me to call you a cab?"

"That would be fan-abulous-astic," he tipped his glass back and slid it across the bar. "How about just one more?"

"Sorry it's closing time. Pal." She shut off the televisions and picked up the phone to call a cab. After making the call she continued to tie up loose ends around the bar, shutting off neon signs, picking up a few stray beer bottles and putting up chairs. She went into the back room where she told her bar back he could go home and washed her hands. Tired from being on her feet for the last two nights, she turned off the light and when she went back out to the bar the loner had left. Thankful, she grabbed her purse and locked up the door as she headed out.

"Twelve-forty-five. Early for a Sunday I suppose," she told herself and went to her car that sat alone in the parking lot. As Kylie was about to put her key into the drivers side to unlock it, a hand grabbed her from behind and cupped her mouth. The other had wrapped around the small of her waist and pulled her to the aggressive body.

"Shh, I won't hurt you. I just want to have a little fun," the man slurred and she could smell the alcohol on his breath like no other. With her heart racing she knew she had to stay calm if she were to ever get out of this. Her purse had fell from her hands, the contents spilled out and her keys hung in the door. "That's it baby," at that moment she knew it was the guy from the bar. Trying to take in a deep breath, she let it out the best she could before stomping her heel onto the guys foot and then jabbing him in the stomach with her elbow. It freed her for a few seconds as she hurried to get back to her car but a hand came to her face and strike her against her right cheek. She was hit so hard she fell to the ground, her knee banged into the pavement, sending a pain shooting up and down her leg.

"Now, you don't try that again and I won't have to hurt you," he straddled on top of her and unzipped his pants. No way would she allow this to happen. She was small but strong and brought her un-injured knee to the man's groin causing him to fall over. Kylie dragged herself to the car and as she went to pull herself up she heard a car horn honk and the drunk clumsily stood to this feet and ran off. Exhausted, scared and in pain she stayed on the ground trying to catch her breath.

Kylie picked up a few things that had fallen from her purse, shoved them back in and reached up with a hand to unlock her door. Staying on one foot she pulled herself up and got into the car, immediately locking the doors. Her hands shook as she tried to put the key into the ignition to start the car. Her first thought was to call Nick but she didn't want to worry him and knew he'd be asleep. Calming herself down, she looked into the review mirror, wiped away the few tears that ran down her already bruised cheek and pushed back her hair. Kylie sucked in a sharp breath as she put her foot on the gas and drove off home.

"God you're so stupid Kylie for walking out by yourself and not being aware of your surroundings," she blamed herself. The music wasn't touched and the car ride was silent.

She pulled into her street and opened the door to get up to her apartment. She picked her right leg up with her hands and pulled it out of the car. "Great," she said knowing that getting to the front door of the building was going to be a bitch. She slung her purse over her shoulder and pushed off the door to help herself up. Grabbing anything and everything around her to help her make it to the door, she limped and dragged her leg. Thankful once inside that the elevator was working she got in and pressed the top floor.

Once inside her apartment, she locked the doors and plopped herself on the couch. No way could she make it around the hall to get to her bedroom for the night. Giving into emotions, she began crying and soon fell asleep from exhaustion.
~*~*~*~*~*~
"I thought you told her one o'clock?" Alex asked Nick in frustration. It was one-forty five and Kylie hadn't shown up to the studio.

"I don't know man, she's not answering her phone. I tried at ten this morning and every hour since."

"Did she have to work?"

"No but she does tonight at five." Nick said taking out of his phone and sending her another text message.

"This isn't like her to just blow it off."

"Especially since she knew how I feel about this singing thing."

"I don't know, I'm supposed to meet with another artist at four-thirty here so I don't know what to do."

"Give her a few more." Nick paced back and forth and looked back at the text message he sent her about the time. "One o'clock I wrote," he said to himself.
~*~*~*~*~
Mean while Kylie had managed to drag herself, literally, to the shower that afternoon at twelve. She had slept in until almost eleven-thirty which was something she hadn't done in a long time. With her towel wrapped around her waist, she stared into the foggy mirror, clearing it off with her hand she gently touched her cheek. It was purple and blue and a large scrap on her elbow had began to scab. Her knee was as big as a basket ball and bruised pretty good. She wished she brought her crutches when she moved but assumed she wouldn't need them again. Knowing there was no way she was going back to work, she put on a pair of gray shorts and a white spaghetti tank top. She ran a brush through her hair and then hopped on one foot back out to the living room where her phone was in her purse.

She gingerly sat down on the couch, used both of her hands again to bring her leg up onto a pillow and took phone out. "Five missed called all from Nick?" She said to herself. "The recording!" She had totally forgot about it and it was almost two. "Two hours to shower, that's ridiculous," she tried to make herself laugh as she thought about it. She hit the send button and put the phone to her ear to talk to Nick.

"Where are you?!" His voice boomed on the other side.

"Nick, I'm sorry. I-I just totally slept in and I'm not feeling great today. Can you ask A.J. if we can reschedule please?"

"Are you sick?" Nick's voice softened and now sounded concern.

"Maybe just getting a cold. I'm sorry, I mean I could come down to try but my voice probably wouldn't be great and I have to be at work at five so..."

"No, stay home and rest. I'll talk to A.J. and we'll figure out another time. You sure you're okay? You don't sound yourself."

"I'm sick Nick, what d you expect," she laughed lightly and her finger tips touched her cheek remembering last night. Her stomach turned at the thought the guy attempted to do more. "I'm going to lay down, talk to you later Nick. Bye." She quickly hung up the phone and held her breath, trying to keep back the tears.

"Was that Kylie?"

"Uh yeah. She's sick."

"And she couldn't call me earlier?"

"I don't know, she didn't sound good."

"Alright well I'm going to go eat before having to come back here."

"She called me Nick more than once."

"Well, that is your name blondie."

"Usually it's Carter."

"Want to get some lunch with me?"

"Sure." Nick agreed, his mind still on Kylie.