- Text Size +
Later that night, Kylie was woken up from a knock on her door. She looked at the clock and it read seven PM. She called into work sick and without questioning her she received the night off. Rubbing her eyes, Kylie sat up, wincing in pain her body was in. The door knocked again, this time harder.

"Hold on!" She yelled and pulled her self up. She hopped onto one foot and made her way to the door and looked out the peep hole. "Damn," she whispered when she saw it was Nick. She let the right side of her hair fall into her face to try to cover the bruise. Sighing, she unlocked the door and opened it up. "Hey," she tried to smile brightly.

"I went to see you at work, they said you called in. Something you've never done before, so I figured you were real sick. I brought you some soup." He smiled and held out a can of chicken noodle soup.

"I should be thankful you didn't make it," she laughed and took the can. Her head stayed tilted down and she stood in the door way, balancing on the door.

"You going to let me in?" Nick asked.

"Uh maybe you shouldn't. I don't want you to get sick," she tried to tell him.

"Why are you being a weirdo," he laughed and then noticed her cheek. "What did you do?" Nick asked with concern. His hand with instinct rose up to her face but as he was about to touch it she pulled away.

"It's not a big deal. You know me, not very graceful." She joked.

"You're not telling me something." Nick said with a seriousness in his voice. He then tried to step in and watched as she tried to shift her weight, scrunching her face up.

"Ugh fine, I got sort of attacked on way my to my car after work last night."

"WHAT?! By whom? Why were you by yourself?" Nick asked throwing questions at her. She placed the can of soup down on a chair and the closed the door.

"If you'd help me to the couch I'd tell you, I think my knee is pretty screwed up." She said looking down at it. Nick took her arm and put it around his waist and put an arm around hers. He could feel her use him like a crutch with a lot of weight, meaning it must've been bad. She sat down and he watched as she had to pick her own leg up to the couch.

"I was closing by myself last night, a drunk guy had been left over. I called him a cab and when I came back he had left. But on my way to the car, he grabbed me from behind, hit my face and I fell down onto this knee. He tried to take his pants off and mine but the cab came and he ran off."

"Did you call the cops." Nick said more as a statement than a question.

"I had nothing on this guy. I just wanted to get home."

"He didn't, you know rape you did he?"

"No, I kicked him in nuts before he had a chance. I'm sorry Nick."

"For what?"

"Not telling you."

"You should've called me last night."

"I wanted to but I just didn't want to bother you. This is twice since I've been here in L.A. What are the chances?" she joked.

"You should get an X-Ray." Nick said seriously looking her over.

"Nah I'm fine, it's not that bad."

"You can't put any weight on your leg."

"You know it's just a trick knee."

"Yes, but you actually injured it this time. Nothing tricky. Where are your shoes?"

"Nick..." But before she could stop him, he had disappeared into her room coming out with a pair of sneakers. He helped her put them on and looked down at her.

"I should've been there," he said dropping his head.

"What are you talking about Carter?"

"I just should've been." He handed her her purse and picked her up into his arms.

"This is going to take like five hours you know."

"I know, but at least I'm with you," he smiled and headed out the door. He carefully put her to her feet and she locked the door. Nick pressed the down button for the elevator.

~*~*~*~*~*~
One am, Nick pulled up to Kylie's apartment. "Okay that took six hours," he laughed. "Are you tired?"

"Actually I'm pretty wide awake. What about you?"

"Same. Considering we had three cups of coffee."

"We can make some more, and I have the good tasting stuff."

"Sounds good," Nick got out and went around to the passenger door. He took out the pair of crutches the doctor gave Kylie from the back and handed them to her.

"I can't believe I have to wear this big bulky brace for a hairline fracture."

"They wanted you in a cast missy."

"Yeah and not shower?" Nick helped guide her leg out of the car and stand up. Shutting her door they made their way to the apartment and inside. Nick pressed the up button and within a minute the elevator opened. The two climbed in and the doors shut, Kylie pressed her top floor and the two waited for them to reopen.

"I think you pissed that one nurse off asking all of those questions," Kylie laughed and crutched her way out of the elevator as the doors opened.

"You think?" Nick joked. He took Kylie's keys and opened her door, holding it as she went in. "You go sit, I'll make the coffee."

"I can help."

"You're supposed to be off that leg for two days. I have no idea how you managed to get up here last night."

"I am a woman of many talents!" She laughed and went into the living room. "Let's watch Pirates of the Caribbean!" She said going through her movies, she took it out and went to her DVD player. Throwing her crutches on the ground she plopped down and put the movie in. It was then she realized she was going to have a hard time getting up.

"What are you doing?" Nick asked trying not to laugh, knowing Kylie was having a hard time standing up. He went over to her side and took her hands to pull her up. He then picked her up and put her on the couch. "Stay!" He said before going back into the kitchen.

"I'm not a freaking dog Carter! And I need my crutches I need to pee, unless you want me to just gimp over to the bathroom!" She yelled and Nick came out and picked her crutches up and handed them to her.

"You're kind of a pain in the ass when you're helpless."

" I am not helpless, I don't need you here," she defended.

"Uh huh, you going to make it up to those two steps to your bathroom?"

"Bite me," She glared at Nick but before she could walk away he pulled her to him.

"Gladly," he smiled and lowered his lips down to hers.

"Nick I thought we already-"

"Shh, can't you just go with the moment without thinking too much?"

Kylie thought for a second and smiled before kissing him back. "Okay well, I have to pee first then I'll answer." She turned away and headed to the bathroom. Nick went back into the kitchen to finish the coffee. As he poured the two cups and was about to carry them into the living room, the apartment began to shake. The coffees spilled onto the kitchen floor, shelves rattled knocking off pictures and other collectibles. It took Nick a minute to realize they were having an earth quake.

"Nick?!" Kylie called and the shaking got bigger as she was about to go down the two small steps. Nick heard the fall and put the cups onto the counter and ran out to where Kylie was.

"Come on we have to get into the bathtub," he knelt down next to her noticing the tears. "You hurt?" He asked picking her up. She didn't answer and Nick brought her into the bathroom and into the shower. It was a small area and the two had to stand. Kylie's arms wrapped around Nick's neck as his arms enclosed her waist. "It will be over in a minute," he told her noticing her shake. "Ever been in one of these before?" He asked.

"What a bathtub?" She joked back. "No this is a first." There was one more good shake, and Kylie felt she couldn't stand any more. Nick held tighter onto her and when the shaking subsided he let go just a little. The power had gone off and Nick still felt Kylie grasp him hard.

"See you made it," he pulled her away a little and kissed her cheek. She nodded her head and placed her forehead against his chest. "I'm going to get you some ice and call A.J." He picked her up once again and brought her to the living room. She looked around and groaned at the mess. Nick disappeared into the kitchen an came back with a bag of ice. His phone was cradled between his ear and neck as he unstrapped the immobilizer on her knee. He placed the ice on it and heard a beep. Looking down at the phone, he saw Amanda calling him.

"Mandy?" He answered.

"Nick! It's A.J! He's knocked out and I can't get through the cops and the tree fell on the car. I don't know what to do?!"

"Okay calm down, I'm on my way. Are you near things that can fall?"

"Not really, we're in the middle of a door way."

"There will be after shocks, you need stay put."

"Nick hurry!' She cried into the phone and Nick hung up.

"What's wrong?" Kylie asked with concern.

"Something with A.J. We have to go."

"Nick is it safe?'

"I have to get there."

"Nick I can't stay here by myself."

"You think I'd leave you here? I'm going to get you a sweatshirt. Where are your flashlights?"

"Linen closet across from the bathroom." Nick jumped up and moved quickly to get a flash light for him and one for Kylie before getting her a sweatshirt. "Put it on," he threw it to her and got her crutches that were on the ground.

"Nick the elevator," Kylie said knowing it would be out as they stepped ouf of the apartment.

"We can do stairs. It's only what, seven flights?" He smiled.

"It will prob be easier if I do them myself. Just take one crutch," she handed him one and placed the other under her left arm. Holding onto the rail with her right hand she began to hop down step by step.

By the third flight down Kylie had slowed down and was tired.

"Keep going, we need to get to A.J." Nick told her. Kylie nodded as Nick shone the flashlight down the steps. Another couple had passed them going up. Nick tried his cell phone but he had no signal where they were. There was then an afters chock, Kylie gripped the railing as her feet went under her. Nick also slipped next to her, hitting his head.

"Dammit!" He yelled pulling himself to his feet and rubbing his head. "Kylie?" He asked putting the light onto her. She was holding her leg with both hands and biting her lower lip. "Here take these and get on my back," he gave her the crutches and pulled her up onto one leg. He knelt down so she could climb up and he made his way down the rest of the way. They made it to the bottom and when they stepped outside, sirens were every where,cops, fire trucks and ambulances. Nick set Kylie down, handed her the crutches and headed for his car.

"You're not doing too well are you babe?" He asked opening her door.

"I'm good," she smiled at him and did her best to be strong. He helped her get in and got in himself. "Main street is going to be blocked, we'll take the back way."

Traffic was slow and there were power lines down every where. The main gate to A.J's house was locked because of the power being down when Nick pulled up to it.

"What do we do?" Kylie asked. Nick ran his hands through his hair trying to come up with something.

"The power is out, it should fly open," he put the SUV into reverse and then back into gear. "Brace yourself," he told Kylie as he floored it and went through the gate. "Woohoo!" Nick yelled as he made it through and sped to the house. He jumped out of the car and ran up to the house. Kylie climbed out soon after and followed him.

"Amanda?!" Nick yelled.

"Back here Nick!" She yelled and Nick jogged to where she was. Amanda was kneeling next to A.J. who was out on his back. A small gash was on his forehead and a bookshelf was knocked over next to him. He assumed he got hit by that.

"Has he woke up at all?"

"No. Kylie what happened to you?"

"Not related to this. You okay?" She asked Amanda.

"I'm fine. I just want him to wake up."

"A.J. can you hear me?" Nick tapped his face. "Come on man wake up."

"Amanda get a cold wash cloth." Kylie told her and she tried to sit on the ground next to Nick. "How is his pulse?" She asked.

"It's there," Nick felt on his neck. "It's a little faint but there. Alex open your eyes!" He yelled. Amanda then returned with two wash cloths. Kylie took them and put one on A.J.'s forehead and one behind his neck. The house then began to shake a little, Amanda jumped closer to everyone and Nick put an arm around Kylie who let out a small scream. "You're alright," Nick whispered and kissed the top of her head.

There was then a low moaning sound and A.J.'s eyes fluttered open. "Nick?" He asked.

"Hey man, welcome back. Don't move, you hit your head in the earthquake."

"No shit?" He asked and Amanda knelt next to him.

"Baby you okay?"

"My head is throbbing but I think I'm fine." He said trying to sit up and Nick helped him.

"I think we need to just stay put somewhere until this is over and listen to a radio."

"Let's go down to the studio, probably the safest." A.J. was now on his feet, and Amanda had an arm around him to help him balance.

"Okay I'll grab some water bottles and come down. Kylie go with them."

"Nick I-"

"If there is another afters chock I want you sitting down. God knows what more damage is done to your knee."

Kylie nodded his head, knowing he was right and followed the two down the hall towards the door to the downstairs studio. Amanda had a flash light and lead the way. Down the stairs Kylie left a crutch at the top of the stairs and used one and the railing to go down again. At the bottom she then realized she couldn't go any further.

"Here lean on me," Amanda said after she had A.J. sitting down. "So what did you do?"

"Fracture my knee cap. It feels pretty much just shattered right now though, took a couple falls from the quake."

"Ouch, yeah let's get you on the couch." Amanda helped her sit and at that time Nick returned with a bag of snacks and drinks. Amanda had gone to turn on the radio and find some more light.

"How you doing?" Nick asked as he watched Kylie try to pick her leg up. He helped her lift it up onto the couch and then let out a sigh.

"I'm fine, just not liking the dark. You know..."

"Oh I totally forgot. Here keep this flashlight."

"Nick!" Kylie yelled out as Nick had turned away.

"What?"

"Seriously I don't feel comfortable. I wasn't joking about that story and the well. My chest gets tight when I'm alone."

"Here's the radio, they're not saying much right now." Amanda set it down on the floor.

"Mandy can you find some candles?"

"Sure, I know where they are."

"Thanks," Nick told her and sat next to Kylie. "Damn girl you're shaking."

"I know I'm a big baby. Alex how you doing over there?"

"Great with the exception of this pounding headache."

"Babe I need to get him some pain killers. I'll be right back."

"Be quick." Nick pecked her lips and he jogged up the stairs.

"Alright lighting some candles to make it smell good." Amanda said flicking her lighter and lighting candle jars around the room.

"And giving us light," Kylie pointed out the obvious. Nick came back down a second later and gave A.J some pain medicine.

"See nice lit up now," Nick said sitting down again next to Kylie.

"Eh," she wasn't too sure of that. "Hey Nick?"

"Hmm?" He asked taking a blanket from behind him and putting it over the two of them.

"Why did you kiss me earlier?"

"Didn't it feel like the right moment?"

"Yes but we've had a lot of those moments and you chose then."

"Like now?" He asked and leaned in kissing her.

"It's about time you two!" Alex laughed who had his arm around Amanda. Kylie stifled a yawn and fought to keep her eyes open.

"Go to sleep it's three am."

"And I want to go to b-ea-ad. Got a lady running through my-"

"What are you singing?" Nick asked.

"O.A.R? Duh?" Kylie told him.

"Did you really just say 'duh' to me?"

"Maybe. But you don't know who they are?"

"I know of them but not their music."

"You're deprived."

"Go to bed," Nick kissed the top of her head and she lay on his shoulder.

"Sorry for being such a girl Nick."

"Well, you are a girl hate to break it to you buddy."

"You know what I mean."

"You're injured and its all just bad timing. Get some rest, they should have power running by the morning. Besides I kinda like taking care of girls." He squeezed her gently and lay back to get comfortable. Within minutes the two had fallen asleep from exhaustion.