- Text Size +
Nick hadn’t gone to bed that night. He felt it was his place to look over everyone down in Alex’s studio. Especially A.J. A.J. has taken him in without question and has done nothing but support Nick. He woke up A.J. every hour to check his concussion and let Mandy and Kylie sleep. He knew that he would have to get A.J. and Kylie both checked out in the hospital but from listening to the radio, he found out that most area hospitals were crazy full from the previous night’s earthquake.
“Alex, Alex wake up,” Nick slightly shook his friends shoulder.
“Mmm, what time is it?” He asked sitting up a little, careful not to wake up Amanda who was asleep in his arms.
“It’s a little after eight. The roads are being cleared and I think we should get you two down to the hospital to just get checked out.”
“I’m feeling better man, I’m good. Thanks for waking up all through the night.”
“Well, I’d feel better knowing and Kylie has been restless all night with her knee.”
“Alright, I’ll get Amanda up and we’ll start to get ready.” Nick nodded his head and walked over to Kylie who was on the couch, her leg propped up.
“Kye, wake up.” Nick brushed a few strands of her hair out of her face. Her eyes fluttered open and a small smile appeared on her face. “Morning, how are you feeling?”
“I’m fine, how is Alex?” She asked trying to look over at A.J.
“He’s alright. We’re going to get freshened up and get you and him looked at.”
“I don’t want to go to the hospital,” she whined a little and sat up. Nick couldn’t help notice her wince in pain.
“I know but do it for me please?”
“How can I say no to that face?”
“You can’t, now let’s get you moving.” He pecked her cheek and stood up. He handed picked up her crutches that lay on the ground and watched as she struggled to move her leg over. He put them against the wall and helped her pick up her leg to the floor.
“Thanks,” she then took Nick’s hands to help her stand. Her good leg was shaking as she stood and her hurt leg was in more physical pain than she had ever endured. Nick, still holding her hand reached over to get her crutches again.
“Okay, let’s get up stairs. Go slow.” Nick’s hand rested his hand on her lower back as she took her first step.
“Nick, I’m not one to complain, I can even handle pain but I can’t move this leg at all.” She looked up at him helplessly, tears threatening to fall.
“Shh, it’s okay. I’ll carry you.” He then gently picked her small body up into his arms and carried her up the stairs to help her get ready.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Nick, Kylie, Alex, and Mandy arrived at the hospital a little after ten that morning. Nick pushed Kylie in a wheel chair into the waiting room after being told they would be seen “as soon as possible.” They all knew that it would be at least a couple hours.
“So, we’re going to have to post pone the hiking trip this weekend,” Kylie said with a little laugh.
“It’s quite alright, I think I can let it slide this one time,” Nick played. Alex and Mandy were both amazed at how much Nick was smiling and joking-all with Kylie. She truly did bring out the best in Nick and it was obvious that Nick did the same for her.
“We’re going to have a mess clean up later,” Mandy said with a sigh taking a sip from the coffee they had all gotten before going to the hospital.
For the next hour small talk was made and Alex had made a few phone calls to friends and family who called asking about the quake.
A doctor dressed in scrubs, who looked as though he had been here all night came over to the group.
“Hi, my name is Dr. Roberts and I’m just going through to see who needs immediate attention. As you can tell, we’re a little busy today,” he smiled with a clipboard in his hands.
“Check him first, he was knocked out,” Kylie said pointing to A.J.
“Hi, Dr. Roberts,” the doctor held his hand out to A.J.
“Alex,” A.J. shook his hand back.
“Alright, just tell me what happened.”
“I was in my office when the earth quake happened, and the book shelf fell and hit me here. I’m not sure how long I was out.”
“He was out for about fifteen minutes and Nick here made sure he woke up once every hour last night.”
The doctor took out a lighted pen and had Alex follow it with his eyes. He then pushed on his head in a few spots and asked questions.
“Well, Alex. You are looking good to me. As long as you’re not feeling dizzy or sick, I have no reason for you to stay. If you have any of these symptoms that show up, I would come back as soon as possible.”
“Sweet. Thanks Doc.” A.J. nodded his head.
“Okay who else?” The doctor asked jotting down some notes. When Kylie didn’t speak up, Nick did.
“Her right here.” Kylie shot Nick a look. “ This is Kylie. She fractured her knee cap the night before last but took a few falls during the earth quake last night. She wasn’t able to even use her crutches today, she was so much in pain.
“Alright, let’s take a look.” The Doctor began to unstrap the bulky immobilizer from her knee that was propped up on the leg rest of the wheelchair. He then unraveled the ace bandage after. Nick watched intently as Kylie squeezed the arm rests of the wheel chair and bit her lower lip.
“Whew, okay I can tell already you’ve dislocated it.” The doctor felt around the black and blue knee that was more swollen than when she first hurt it.
“I should’ve gotten you here last night,” Nick said now standing next to the doctor.
“It’s alright, we wouldn’t have been able to see her anyway because of other serious injuries we had. We will however have to operate. When you dislocate a knee, you usually end up tearing ligaments.”
“Seriously?” Kylie sighed loudly and Nick took her hand.
“Yeah, I’m sorry. But we will also have to put it back into place today since we won’t be able to get you into the O.R. until at least tomorrow. I’ll have a nurse come back to get you a room.” He then took off to the nurses’ station.
“This sucks.” Kylie said.
“It will be fine. You’ll be in and out.” Nick tried to tell her optimistically.
“Kylie?” A nurse came out to the waiting room.
“Right here,” Nick said and the nurse came over.
“Okay, I’m going to take you to a room and have you fill out some paper work.”
“Mandy, here take the keys and you guys can head on home. I’ll stay with her and call you later.” Nick said giving Mandy the keys.
“You sure? We can stay Nick.” Alex said.
“Yeah I’m sure. It’s going to be awhile and I don’t want her to stay by herself.”
“Alright. Call us. Feel better Kylie,” Alex said kissing her cheek.
“Thanks,” she said with a half-smile. The nurse then pushed her out of the waiting room and down the hall into a room.
“Okay hon, we’re going to get you up onto this bed and I have an ice pack here for you.”
“I’ll get her up,” Nick told the nurse and picked Kylie up carefully and put on the bed. The nurse then put a pillow under her knee and an ice pack on top of the swollen cap.
Kylie began filling out the paper work and the nurse started to put together an IV.
“What’s that for?” Nick asked.
“We’re going to pump her with pain medicine and then numb up her knee a little so we can put it back where it belongs.”
“Is it going to hurt?” Nick asked with intensity in his eyes.
“Well, it’s not going to feel great, but we’ll do our best to keep her comfortable as possible.” The nurse smiled and Kylie handed over the clipboard.
“Let’s get this over with.”
“Come on, usually it’s me you have to try to lighten up. This could be worse and this could be good for you. I mean it’s always ‘tricking’ out on you. This could fix it for good.” Nick sat on the edge of the bed and pulled her to him.
“Nick?” She looked up to his eyes.
“Yeah?”
“Thank you.”
“For what?”
“For being there and for being who you are. I wouldn’t want you any other way.”
“As I wouldn’t want you any other way.”