- Text Size +
“Alright, you’re still going to feel some pain but after you’re going to feel a lot better.” Doctor Kablak told Kylie. The Doctor who would operate on her knee in the morning told her.
“Let’s do it,” Kylie said and Nick took her hand.
“Okay, deep breath in,” the Doctor told her.
“Hey keep in your eyes on me,” Nick tilted her chin towards him and Kylie took her breath in. Seconds later the Doctor jerked her knee in an odd direction and a loud pop, along with a small cry from Kylie filled the room.
“And that’s it,” the Doctor said and Kylie now had tears streaming down her face. “A nurse will be in every so often to administer more pain meds. Keep this ice pack on and I will see you early in the morning.”
“Thank you,” Nick told him and his eyes went back to Kylie. “I hate seeing you in pain. You’re breaking my heart girl.” Nick smiled a little.
“I’m sorry.”
“Shh, don’t be. I just want you feeling better. Can I get you anything? You haven’t eaten since yesterday, are you hungry?”
“No.”
“You won’t be able to after eight tonight.”
“I’m fine, lay with me?”
Nick then lay on his side, his head propped up on his hand and he ran his fingers through Kylie’s hair. He let out a small sigh and Kylie looked up to him.
“What?” She asked.
“I’m just trying to figure out some things.”
“Like what?”
“Like these feelings I have for you.”
“What about them?”
“Like the fact I have different feelings for you than I have with anyone else and…” His voice trailed off.
“And?” She squeezed his hand asking softly.
“And, its different than what I felt with Anastasia and it scares me but when I’m with you, you make it feel like everything is going to be okay and I don’t know if it should be and-“ Kylie cut off Nick’s rambling and she pulled his face to hers, and kissed him hard.
“And then you do that,” Nick breathed hard.
“You’re my best friend.” She smiled. “And I feel like you’re my other half.”
“I feel the exact same, I’m just scared.”
“You’re allowed to feel scared. I’m scared too.”
“Why are you scared?”
“I’m scared because what if you’re not ready and I continue to fall deeper, but I’m okay with feeling scared because you make me feel amazing.” She beamed.
“You’re amazing,” Nick cupped her face and kissed her again.
“Day at a time.” Kyle smiled at him.
“Day at a time.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“The surgery went smoothly, as soon as she’s fully awake and the anesthesia runs out, you can take her home.” The Doctor told Nick who was in the waiting room.
Nick let out a sigh of relief and thanked God silently. “It was a good thing she had this surgery. She had quite a bit of scar tissues from old injuries it looked like. She’ll be in the cast for about three weeks and will need use the wheel chair for about a week before using her crutches.”
“Thank you for everything,” Nick shook his hand and waited for Kylie to wake up.
He picked up his cell phone and called A.J.
“Hey man,” A.J answered. “How did it go?”
“Went well, just waiting for her to wake up.”
“That’s great. Did you sleep at all over there?”
“No, the chairs aren’t very comfortable.”
“So you’ve been awake for forty-eight hours?”
“Pretty much. You can come down anytime to get us.”
“Alright man, Mandy stopped at her apartment this morning and picked up some things and straightened it up from the quake.”
“Thanks. You sure you don’t mind her staying with us for a bit?”
“Of course not. I have plenty of room and Amanda is excited for a girl roommate. We’ll be there soon.”
“Thanks bro.”
“No problem. Oh, and Brian called checking in and wants you to call when you can.”
“Alright. See you soon.”
Nick called Brian and talked with him until a nurse came out to let him know that Kylie was awake.
He told Brian he’d call him back later on and with his tenth cup of coffee he went to where the room where patients were coming out of the O.R. were and went up to Kylie’s bed.
“Hey you,” he smiled and kissed her.
“Hey,” she smiled back still sleepy from the drugs.
“You in a lot of pain?”
“No. I just want to go home.”
“Well, baby about that.”
“What, something wrong with my knee?”
“No, it went well. Even cleaned out your old injuries. I want you come live with Alex, Mandy and myself at least until your cast comes off.”
“Nick, I can’t ask that. I can take care of myself, I did when I first hurt it in high school. My parents didn’t do anything, I didn’t even have crutches.”
“I am asking you. Please, let me take care of you?”
“Nick I-“
“Look, I’ve been worried about you enough and I know its just your knee but I’m still going to worry and if anything happened to you, especially in that elevator that doesn’t always work, I couldn’t live with myself.”
“Alright. Thank you. But just until this stupid cast come off.”
“Thank you.” He kissed her again. “Alex is on his way and we’ll get you home.”
“I’m tired,” she yawned.
“Me too. At least you got to sleep four hours straight.”
“It was induced!” She yawned again.
“Shh, go back to sleep. When you wake, I’ll take you home.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
“I think this cast puts about twenty pounds on you,” Nick laughed carrying Kylie inside the house.
“Thanks,” she said sarcastically.
“You need it, I mean you’re five-four and a hundred pounds.”
“Well, not everyone can be jolly the great green giant.”
“Yeah yeah. Okay, you want the couch or bed?”
“I’m kinda tired still.”
“Thank God. I think I could sleep forever.” Nick carried her up to his bedroom and lay her down.
“Ah,” she winced.
“Sorry.”
“No, its not your fault. Meds are just starting to wear off.”
“I’ll get you a couple more and something to eat.”
“I’m not really hungry.”
“You had a half piece of toast after the surgery in the past two days.”
“Just some juice please?”
“Alright.” Nick sighed and went downstairs.
“How she doin?” A.J. asked making a sandwich.
“In a little pain and no appetite.”
“She’ll be alright. She’s tough.”
“I know she is.” Nick poured her a cup of cranberry juice and got her pain killers.
He went back up stairs and saw Kylie struggling to sit up.
“Hey what are you doing?”
“I need to pee.”
“And how were you getting to the bathroom? You’re wheelchair isn’t even up here.”
“Here take these,” he handed her two pills and the juice. She tossed them into her mouth and chased them with the juice.
“Thank you.”
“Welcome. Now, put your arm around my neck.”
“This is embarrassing.”
“You have nothing to be embarrassed about around me. Never.” Nick said seriously.
At that moment, Kylie felt this urgency of love for Nick. She put her arm around him and he picked her up and brought her into the bathroom. He placed her on the toilet seat and told her to call when she was through.
When Nick left, Kylie struggled to take her shorts down and was thankful she had upper arm strength. When she finished pulling her shorts back up, she called Nick and he came in. He held her as she washed her hands and brushed her teeth since it had been two days; he then brought her back into the room.
“You’re beautiful,” he told her.
“I feel like a mess. I haven’t showered.”
“Tomorrow, we’ll wash your hair. You were sponged down this morning before the operation.”
“Keyword. Sponge.”
Nick laughed a little and lay next to her.
“Kiss me.” Kylie told him and without hesitation, Nick leaned down and kissed her.
The kissing deepened and their hands began to wonder each other’s bodies. Kylie felt Nick’s strong shoulders and he placed a hand on her small waist and up her tank top.
Kylie pulled off Nick’s shirt and began to unbutton his jeans. He pulled away from Kylie’s kiss and stared deep into her eyes as if asking for permission to continue.
Kylie nodded her head and Nick began to pull of her shorts and underwear, careful not to bump her knee. He took his jeans off and his underwear and turned on his music.
“I don’t want to hurt you,” he whispered between kissing her neck.
“You won’t.” She breathed heavily and pulled Nick to her harder and he pulled out a condom from the drawer next to the bed and gently straddled Kylie.
The two pressed each other’s bodies on one another, kissing hungrily and Nick entered into Kylie. A soft moan escaped from her lips and he nibbled gently on her lower lip