- Text Size +
"Nick, Nick wake up," Brian shook Nick's shoulder.

"Here this should work," a nurse had put a stick under Nick's nose. Nick's head jolted up and he blinked his eyes. "Easy now," the nurse told him helping him sit up.

"What happened?" Nick asked.

"You fainted, probably took a look at the blood. It's alright happens all the time." The nurse smiled and helped Nick to his feet now. "You're going to be fine, go get some sugar in ya." She patted Nick's arm and walked away.

"Nick you alright?" Brian asked worriedly.

"I'm fine," Nick walked to the door and outside where Brian followed him. Taking in a deep breath, he leaned against the wall of the hospital and let it out.

"A.J. is on his way here so may be able to help with Kylie." Nick only nodded and brought his shaking hands up to head and ran his fingers through his long hair. "Do you feel dizzy still?" Brian looked at Nick still concerned although Nick had shook his head no.

"I can't be here much loner Bri," Nick finally spoke after a minute of silence. At that moment it hit Brian that Nick was having memories of Stacie. He then felt like a jack ass for asking if Nick was okay. Of course he wasn't. "Kylie had a similar cut on the side and it was just too much. After all this time you think I'd be able to handle a trip to a hospital. And the countless times I'd have to bring her for her anemia..." Brian let Nick talk. He was afraid if he interrupted him Nick would shut down. They hadn't spoken in almost a year to each other and now that they were, Nick was opening up.

"Where's Kylie?" A.J had come up to the two.

"She's with the doctors right now?" Brian answered.

"Is she going to be alright?"

"They haven't told us anything but we told them you knew her better."

"Yeah she had just moved here by herself. I'm going to go in, hey Nicky boy you alright?" A.J. asked noticing the paleness of Nick's face.

"He's just fine," Brian answered for Nick. A.J. looked at Brian not believing but he went inside anyway.

"Thanks," Nick said looking over at Brian.

"Here are A.J.'s keys. I'll go back with him, why don't you go home."

"You sure?"

"Yeah." Brian smiled and patted Nick on his shoulder. Nick took the keys and as he was about to head for the car he turned back towards Brian and pulled him in for a hug. Brian smiled even wider as he welcomed Nick into his arms and hugged him back.

"Are you coming back over tonight?" Nick asked hopeful.

"Yeah, I'll see you at home Nick."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Back inside the hospital Brian and A.J. waited in the chairs for the doctors and Kylie. She had a mild concussion, that involved getting four stitches on her forehead and the cut on her side took ten stitches. The doctors had just wanted to keep her there for an hour more for observation then she was being released.

"You and Nick finally talk?" A.J. asked.

"Yeah we did." Brian smiled.

"Frick and Frack again?"

"Not quite there yet but I have a feeling things are going to be okay. I'm still worried about him though. He stopped going to see a therapist after the third session and he's still obviously dealing, or I should say not dealing with Stacie's death. It's been a year Alex."

"Nick is going to be okay, it has only been over a year and I'm sure this hospital stuff didn't help him either. Everyone has their own way of dealing, he's not into drugs or drinking. The guy is a health nut."

"Physically but mentally J?"

"Look his sisters and Aaron have tried and they agree he needs to do this himself."

"I don't know how much more he can handle on his own," Brian said sadly.

"I don't know about you guys but I'm hungry," a voice interrupted Brian and A.J.

"Kylie," A.J. stood up and hugged her. "You alright?"

"I'm just fine, hungry like I said."

"You're always hungry," A.J. laughed.

"Where is my knight in shining armor?" She asked.

"Nick? He went home," A.J. told her.

"Oh," Kylie said with disappointment in her voice.

"The doctor came out earlier and told me you shouldn't be alone for the next twenty four hours. So how about you come home with me, I have plenty of room. I'll make you something to eat and you can get a good nights sleep?"

"That's not necessary, thank you though."

"It is necessary and you have no other ride so let's go," A.J. took her hand and pulled her outside.

They made it back to A.J.'s house and the three walked in and went to the kitchen.

"So this has been quite the night, I performed for the first time, was mobbed, saved by a Backstreet Boy, taken to the hospital, and brought back to this mansion."

"And now it's time for macaroni and cheese," Brian grinned opening a box.

"Well, I really appreciate everything you've done Alex and I'd like to thank Nick."

"You can tell him tomorrow, he's probably sleeping." A.J. told Kylie. And just as if on cue Nick walked into the back door and into the kitchen. He had his ipod on his arm, ear phones in, his shirt was soaked with sweat and he went right to the fridge and pulled out a water bottle.

"He always run at three am?" Kylie asked.

"Sometimes midnight sometimes six am," Nick said taking his ear phones out.

"Oh my God was that a joke Nick just made?" A.J. asked.

"Nick thank you for well, saving my life tonight," Kylie jumped out of her seat and wrapped her arms around Nick's neck. She had to on her tip toes to reach him.

"Just at the right place at the right time." Nick shrugged."I'm going to shower and get to bed,"

"Goodnight Nick," Brian said.

"Night," Nick smiled and went to his room.

"He's not the same as he was a couple of years ago, is he?" Kylie asked.

"What makes you say that?" A.J. asked.

"I remember him as the bubbly blonde at his shows and well, he seems sad."

"It's just been a rough couple of years for him." Brian answered. "Mac and cheese is done!" Brian grinned and served the late night snack out.
The next day, Kylie woke up before everyone else and began making breakfast. She turned on the kitchen radio and sang along while she cooked.

"Something smells great!" A.J. said walking into the kitchen.

"I thought I'd make everyone a good breakfast to thank for last night," she smiled and flipped the pancake.

"How are you feeling?" He asked and took out the orange juice.

"Surprisingly good, small headache and these stitches are starting to bug me but I guess I'm lucky."

"Yes you are and we're lucky to have an awesome breakfast."

"Well, it's more like brunch since its one in the afternoon, anyone else awake?"

"Brian's in the shower."

"And Nick?"

"Who knows? Want some juice?"

"Sure. So tell me what's the story behind Nick? I mean you guys were all close, weren't you?"

"It's a long story and we're still close with each other but things just aren't the same."

"What smells delicious? I know it's not A.J.'s cooking!" Brian entered the kitchen.

"Nope, Kylie made breakfast."

"And it's ready so sit!" She told the guys and served them each a plate of pancakes, turkey sausage and fruit.

"Shouldn't you be resting?" Brian asked taking a bite. " I mean this is awesome but still, you were in the hospital."

"I'm feeling great," she smiled and she saw Nick head head into the kitchen. His hair was a mess, he was wearing a Lakers jersey and a pair of sweat pants. "Good morning!" Kylie said bubbly and prepared a plate for Nick. Nick didn't say anything but pour himself some juice and took a seat at the far end of the table.

"Kylie made us some breakfast, a thank you if you, if you will," A.J. told Nick and Kylie put a plate in front of Nick.

"I'm not hungry, thanks."

"Aww come on, it's the most important meal of the day and besides its chocolate chip pancakes. Who doesn't love chocolate chip pancakes?"

"I don't."

"Seriously? You haven't had mine so just try a little bit, come on," Kylie smiled.

"I don't want any God Damn pancakes!" Nick shoved the plate across the table and it fell to the ground shattering. He then stood up and headed back up stairs to his room.

"Don't take it personally," A.J. told Kylie sympathetically and began cleaning up the floor. "I don't know why he'd flip over pancakes though.

"I do,"Brian said and he got up. "I'll go talk to him." Brian went up stairs to Nick's room and knocked. When Nick didn't answer he tried the door knob and it was unlocked. Slowly Brian went in and saw Nick lying down, his iPod on his stomach and ear phones in. The volume was turned up so loud Brian could hear the song perfectly. It was Sevendust's "Broken Down."

Without saying anything, Brian sat on the bed beside Nick. He waited until Nick was ready and looked around the room. The room was dark blue, the walls bare and everything neat and in place. He saw some free weights on the ground, along with an exercise mat.

"Sorry I lost it," Nick finally spoke up and took his ear phones out of his ears.

"Will you lose it again if I say that I'm worried about you still?" Brian asked cautiously and Nick shook his head no. "Nick between the hospital and the pancakes it's clear you haven't moved on, at least you're not able to deal with it. No one expects you to move on totally from Stacie but I mean you threw a plate of pancakes on the ground because they were her favorite and that was your first date with her." Brian couldn't help but notice Nick flinch at his dead fiances name.

"I tried to keep telling myself that it was only pancakes but I couldn't get past it."

"Have you thought about trying to talk to someone again?"

"There's no use or point."

"How about to me?" Brian offered and Nick let out a sigh. "Alright when you're ready Nick. I know we haven't been close but you're still my best friend." Nick nodded his head and there was a knock on the door.

"Sorry to interrupt but I just wanted to apologize. I didn't mean to be pushy with the pancakes and you must be hungry, especialy since you had gone running before bed; so I brought you up some fruit. You like fruit don't you?" Kylie walked in slowly with a bowl of mixed fruit and a fork. She held it out to Nick and Nick looked at her hand before taking the bowl.

"Thanks," Nick said. "And I'm sorry for over reacting down stairs."

"It's all good. See ya around Nick, bye Brian. Alex is bringing me home." She smiled, pulled each one in for a hug and bounded out and down stairs.

"That girl has way too much engery," Brian laughed. "Alright I'll let you be." Brian stood up and started for the door.

"Bri?"

"Yeah"

"How long are you staying?"

"As long as you need me to be."

"Shoot some hoops later?"

"You got it," Brian smiled and Nick nodded his head, put his ear phones back in and lay back down.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Later on that day Brian was downstairs in the living room, talking to his wife Leigh on the phone. "I really don't know when I'm coming home. I feel that as bad as Nick may be right now, that he's actually starting to come around and is coming forward to me."

"I completely understand and if Bailey didn't have school right now you know we'd be there with you in a heart beat. Things are fine here at home and honestly we haven't been apart for more than a couple hours at a time in the past year. I can use some space away from you," Leigh Ann joked.

"Well, fine. Maybe I'll stay out here in L.A. forever!"

"You have fun in your new home area and I'll call you later tonight so Bailey can say goodnight to you."

"Alright sounds good."

"Love you ducky," she called him by is pet name.

"I love you," Brian smiled and hung up the phone. As he was about to flip on the television Alex came into the room.

"Aww Brian I love you too!" A.J. leaped onto the couch and into Brian's arms.

"Funny," Brian eyed him. "Kylie get home alright?"

"Yeah I got her settled on her couch and she pretty much fell asleep within seconds. Considering what the girl went through last night she holds a pretty good front."

"She seems like a nice girl."

"She's freaking awesome, down to earth, bubbly, doesn't put up with @#%$ and is so musically talented, it's sick. In a good way of course. I'm trying to help her write some songs and get a CD out there with her stuff."

"You'd be good at that," Brian nodded.

"Anything from Nicky up there?" Alex raised an eye brow.

"Not since this morning. This is really what he does?"

"Yeah, runs at insane hours of the night, works out at the gym in the morning, comes down to eat but he eats like a freaking bird these days. He does clean and help me out there but it's usually when I'm not home and yeah stays in his room listening to old music on his iPod."

"No guitar playing, nosiy drums or writing?"

"Not that I've ever seen and I think after a year I would've found some kind of evidence. The kid has lost any fire inside him he once had." As A.J. spoke to Brian, Brian ran a hand through his curly, sandy hair and let out a sigh.

"I'm going to see if he wants to go play some basket ball. He had asked me to two hours ago."

"Alright, I'm meeting the woman out for lunch then I have a meeting for my new album. How about we try to do dinner tonight?"

"Sounds good, call me when you're out of the meeting." As A.J headed up to his room, Brian stood, smoothed out his jeans and went up to Nick's room. He gently knocked on the door and opened it enough so he could look through. Nick was dressed and was sitting up reading a book in bed.

"Yeah," was all Nick said, not taking his eyes off the pages.

"It's getting pretty warm out, you up for some hoops now?"

"Sure," Nick folded the corner of one of the pages and set the book neatly on the night stand. Brian was still amazed at how neat Nick was these days. Usually he threw things around.

"Do you want to go down to a park or find a gym?" Brian asked as Nick put on a white baseball cap. He was now wearing a pair of long navy blue basket ball shorts and a white tee.

"Whatever," Nick shrugged, grabbed his cell phone off the night stand, his wallet and keys. "There's a park about a mile away," he said flatly and reached into his closet and pulled out a large basket ball.

"That sounds good, I think I may change into some shorts though."

"I'll grab some water bottles and meet you down stairs," Nick told Brian. Not once did Brian see Nick smile or change his expression on his face. Maybe he could get somewhere while they played.
~*~*~
"When did you become such an old man?" Brian asked as he had just shot and made his fifth basket. They were playing to twenty-one.

"I didn't," Nick took the ball and brought it half way down the court.

"Okay when did you stop taking chances?" Brian looked up to the tall blonde who was dribbling in one place. "See right about now, you would've done this," and Brian stepped toward his right but then went left, stealing the ball and doing a lay up shot.

"I don't want to be recklece with my life," Nick told him getting the ball back and boxed out of the way of Brian and shot a three pointer. "I do just fine with making these," he said smuggly.

"How can you be recklece playing ball?" Brian asked confused and wiped the sweat dripping down his face with thie back of his hand.

"You can be recklece with anything you do."

"That's true but then there is also taking chances," and Brian stole the ball again and made a shot. Nick furrowed his eye brows and then sped into Brian into a fade away move, and stole the ball. This knocked Brian off his feet and Nick shot the ball into the hoop. "See that's more like it," Brian grinned. "Didn't that feel good to actually play?"

Nick placed his hands on his hips, looking at Brian for a moment and then extended hand to help him up. Nick then looked up to the sky, squinting and wished he had brought his sun glasses. "Yeah it did," Nick smiled. Brian then picked up the ball that lay on the ground and two continued to play a real game of one on one.~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* Later on that day Brian was downstairs in the living room, talking to his wife Leigh on the phone. "I really don't know when I'm coming home. I feel that as bad as Nick may be right now, that he's actually starting to come around and is coming forward to me."

"No it's fine, I am liking this time away from you. I swear since we had Bailey, I feel like I've been taking care of two kids," Leigh Anne laughed.

"How is the little guy?"

"He's good, over to Jess' having a play date with Samj," she told Brian referring to a neighbor.

"Alright baby, I will call you later before Bailey goes to bed. I love you."

"Love you too Ducky," she said sweetly.

"Bye," Brian smiled thinking of his family back home and hung up.