- Text Size +
"So where are we going?" Brian asked Nick as they got into Nick's car.

"Wolf Creek," Nick answered buckling his seat belt.

"Isn't that a country bar?"Brian looked at Nick questioning.

"Yeah you like country."

"I know I do, but you don't."

"I'm trying new things."

"So I've noticed. Hiking and now you're going to be going rock climbing this weekend?" Nick shrugged and had half smile on his face. "It's good to see you happy Nick." Brian told his best friend sincerely.

"I'm trying Bri. I'm just..." Nick's voice trailed off and he bit his bottom lip.

"Just afraid?" Brian asked and Nick nodded his head. "It's more than okay to be afraid. But you have to start living life again bro."

"When I was out there yesterday and really took in my surroundings, I felt her with me." Nick licked his lips. "Does that sound crazy?"

"Of course not. It should make you feel good though that she's with you." Nick pulled into a parking spot and turned off the car. "It just doesn't seem to be getting easier and when it does, it feels like I'm not strong enough."

"Keep doing what you're doing, or what I should say what Kylie is doing." Brian pointed out. "She's bring out something good in you."

"It's kind of scary how easily I'm starting to trust her."

"Go with it. She just may be what you need. I mean you know all of us are here for you, especially me. But I also know how a complete stranger can help make you feel complete. That's how Leigh and I became so close so fast."

"Alright well, let's go listen to some country."

"I'm going to make you line dance," Brian laughed getting out of the car.

"Not unless you plan on getting me wasted, and I am driving tonight so that's not going to happen." The two walked inside to a packed country bar.

"It's pretty busy for a Thursday night," Brian remarked as he waited for Nick to show the bouncer with a cowboy hat his ID.

"Kylie was telling me it's one of their busiest nights."

"Is she bar tending?"

"I'm really not sure? She says she teaches line dances," Nick looked through the crowd that was out on the hardwood floor. And sure enough he spotted Kylie's 5'4" frame moving her hips and spinning around to the music. The two went up to the bar, Brian ordered a beer and Nick got himself a diet coke. When the song ended, Nick watched Kylie walk off the floor and towards his way. She was wearing a short jean skirt, a white spaghetti strap tank top and pair of black cowboy boots.

Just as she was about to reach the bar, a tall guy took her arm and pulled her towards him. Nick watched as she smiled and pointed towards the bar, saying something before getting out of his grasp. The guy shook his head and walked off in another direction.

"There she is," Brian pointed out, not realizing Nick had already spotted her. "Kylie hey there!" Brian called waving his arm. Kylie broke into a wide grin, exposing her 90 watt smile as she walked over to the two. She immediately pulled Brian into a hug and then Nick.

"I'm so glad you guys are here! What a great surprise!"She beamed. "Hey Steve could I have a water please?" She called to the bar tender. "You two want anything?"

"All set," Nick held up his drink.

"You got it Kylie," the bartender reached for the cooler and pulled out a water bottle and slid it down the bar to her.

"You guys going to try some dancing tonight?" She asked taking the cap off and taking a swig.

"Brian said he was all for it." Nick replied.

"Excellent, but what about you there Carter?"

"Yeah I'm not that great at dancing."

"But you're a pop star, you have to be good. I'll take you out for some easy dances don't worry," she winked.

"Nick was telling me you teach these dances?" Brian asked.

"Yeah, I've made up a few of them. Tonight is mostly kids from college or just out of college. It's kinda cool because most of them come here to dance and not get wasted."

"Yeah that is pretty cool. So I have to tell you, I was a little sore when i woke up today from the hike yesterday," Nick smiled.

"Just a little huh? So I have to kick your butt Sunday when we go rock climbing."

"You're talking about like an indoor place right?"

"No way, I'm certified for out door, big rock climbing. One of the reasons I moved to the west. Brian you should come," Kylie pointed out.

"I'd love to but I'm leaving tomorrow morning actually. Have to see the wifey and kid."

"Next time you're around then."

"Definitely." Just then Kenny Chesney's song, "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy" came on.

"Okay you two, come on, this one is an easy one."

"Eh I-I'm not sure if we're ready," Nick stuttered.

"You need a few more of rum and cokes?" She asked pointing toward Nick's drink in is hand.

"More like diet cokes," Brian laughed. "He's not drinking."

"That's fine, come on, trust me, you'll catch right on. There are like four parts you need to remember." She took Nick's hand into hers and Nick sat his drink down on the bar with her water bottle. Brian followed and they went out to the dance floor towards the back. "Just watch me," she smiled tucking her short hair behind her ears.

Nick was a little slow at first and Brian joked with the dance steps a little but caught on rather fast. Nick blamed his bigger feet and 6'1" frame for taking more time to catch on. At the end of the song another one came right on and Kylie made sure the two stayed, insisting it was another easy dance. This one was to "Pour Some Sugar on Me" and was much easier. Although Nick couldn't figure out how it was a country line dancing song?

By the fourth dance the DJ played Rascal Flatt's "God Bless the Broken Road" to slow things down. Brian said he was going to use the rest room and Kylie took Nick's hand into hers and placed her left hand around his waist. He followed and the two began to dance.

"So what do you think so far?"

"I have to admit this is quite fun. That last dance though to "Wild Wild West" was really hard. I think I got two parts."

"That is probably one of the hardest ones here. Wait until the "Everybody" dance."

"Are you saying as in our song?" Nick asked rising an eye brow. Kylie only smiled.

"It's actually a lot of fun," she smiled softly. She lay her head against Nick's chest and Nick couldn't help but shake the butterflies he had in his stomach. The two stayed closed through the song, swaying gently back and forth and when the song ended they were still dancing. "I didn't even realize it was over," Kylie blushed a little.

"Kylie you have a request to get your butt up here on stage and sing for this next dance," the DJ's voice came through the microphone. "Liz says let go of boy wonder and get things moving in here again."

"I'm going to kill her," Kylie told Nick rolling her eyes. "I'll be back in a minute," she laughed and briskly made it up to the stage when the music began to play.

"What's going on?" Brian asked going up to Nick.

"I'm not sure yet," he shrugged and Brian watched in amusement how the smile on Nick's face hadn't worn off since he lay his eyes on Kylie.

"Well, I ain't never been the Barbie doll type, No, I can't swig that sweet Champagne, I'd rather drink beer all night In a tavern or in a honky tonk or on a four-wheel drive tailgate. I've got posters on my wall of Skynrd, Kid and Strait. Some people look down on me, but I don't give a rip, I'll stand barefooted in my own front yard with a baby on my hip.
"'Cause I'm a redneck woman, I ain't no high class broad, I'm just a product of my raising, I say, 'hey ya'll and 'yee-haw'. And I keep my Christmas lights on my front porch all year long. And I know all the words to every Charlie Daniels song. So here's to all my sisters out there keeping it country. Let me get a big 'hell yeah' from the redneck girls like me, hell yeah." As Kylie sang, girls were on the dance floor dancing along with her and every guy had their eyes glued on the dance moves.

"Victoria's Secret, well their stuff's real nice but I can buy the same damn thing on a Wal-Mart shelf half price and still look sexy, just as sexy as those models on TV. I don't need no designer tag to make my man want me. Well, you might think I'm trashy, a little too hardcore but in my neck of the woods I'm just a girl next door. I'm a redneck woman, I ain't no high class broad. I'm just a product of my raising, I say, 'hey y'all and 'yee-haw'. And I keep my Christmas lights on, on my front porch all year long. And I know all the words to every Tanya Tucker song. So here's to all my sisters out there keeping it country. Let me get a big 'hell yeah' from the redneck girls like me, hell yeah!"

"She's quite the performer," Brian told Nick taking a swig of his beer.

"Hopefully A.J. can help get her off in the right direction."

"I'm sure he will. The girl can definitely sing and dance." Nick nodded his head and watched Kyle intently. When she finished he found himself clapping along with everyone else in the bar and she hopped off the stage and came towards him.

"Yeah so Liz does that every Thursday, not always that song but that's one of her favorite ones." Kylie reached for her water bottle and drank from her.

"That was great." Nick told her.

"It wasn't much, just fun," she shrugged. And just then the opening chords to 'Everybody' came on.

"That's not-" Brian started to ask but then Kylie quickly put her drink down and grabbed the two Backstreet Boys' hands out to the floor.

"Stay towards the side a little, there's a lot of moving around but you'll catch on." Kylie explained as line dancers spread themselves out in the floor. "I should make you two go sing up front," she laughed and started to dance. "Step forward and back, cross and turn," she told the two who seemed to be completely lost. The guys were more into watching everyone in the bar do a line dance to their own song, rather than learn how to do the dance themselves.

"I can't believe how many guys are on the dance floor, are they all gay?" Nick asked and Kylie laughed.

"Some of them, but no, the majority are just like you...ready and sway your hips around." By the end of the song Brian was doing the video's routine to "Everybody" and Nick was leaning against the wall watching Kylie dance and laughing at Brian.

"So how did we do?" Brian asked out of breath.

"You did your dance very well, I'd like to learn that version," she winked at Nick. "I have to go up on stage and lead the next dance because it's still new. Feel free to try or go relax. Tell Steve I told him you guys don't have to pay for drinks tonight. And Carter it's okay to have a diet coke and rum." She smiled and ran up towards the stage.

"She's something else huh?" Brian asked going up to the bar.

"I guess. Hey Brian, thanks for coming with me tonight. I know I haven't been easy to deal with lately. I don't know how A.J. has been able to live with me."

"Nicky relax. We all handle things differently, you needed time and I can see that you still need more time. We just want you to know that we're all here."

"I know you are thank you."

"We love you man, I love you." Brian told Nick sympathetically.

"I know and I love you and the guys. I feel so lost though."

"One day at a time Nick." Nick nodded his head in agreement and leaned against the counter. Him and Brian continued to talk, mostly Brian talking about Leigh and Baylee. Nick continued to glance and watch Kylie every once in a while. It was close to two am and bars in LA closed at two during the week day.

"I can't believe you're not drinking here with me Nicky, I've had four beers and I feel tipsy already."

"Brian man that's because you never drink and you're a damn light weight." Nick laughed and glanced towards the dance floor. He just happened to catch Kylie fall on stage as she was dancing with the other girls.

"Did I just see Kylie fall over there?" Brian asked trying to sober up a little.

"I believe so, she's not getting up, I wonder what happened." Nick had started to move toward the stage, trying to go through the line dancers.

"Someone get her some ice," Liz called out kneeling by her friend who sat on the stage.

"Kylie you alright, I saw you fall?" Nick asked concerned looking her up and down trying to figure out where she needed the ice.

"Yeah, I've got this damn trick knee that gives out every once in a while." She laughed and shrugged her shoulders. "I'm fine, just gotta walk it out, walk it out." She mimicked the hit song laughing.

"Yeah a trick knee that blows up every time it happens to play a "trick," Liz said sarcastically.

"Oh chill," Kylie told her and began to stand up. Nick's instinct was to get on the small stage and help her up. He watched as her face scrunched up, wincing in pain. "See I'm good!" She called out. "At least it was the last dance of the night and it's just the regulars that are here now to watch me fall on my ass."

"Uh huh, let's see you walk down these steps then Ms.Walk It Out," Liz half joked. Kylie threw her hand up in the air and started to go down the steps. As her right foot stepped down, her knee buckled and Nick pulled her to him. As another instinct or reaction, Nick had picked her up without effort and carried her down.

"This is not necessary Prince Charming," Kylie said with an arm around Nick's neck.

"Apparently it is since you almost fell on your ass for the second time tonight." Nick pointed out.

"Bring her to the bar, we'll get some ice." Liz told Nick and that's what he did. He sat her on a bar stool and she put her leg up on another.

"Again?" Steve asked handing Kylie a bag of ice. "Ya know you should really get it checked out."

"Yes Dad," Kylie pouted and took the ice and set it on her knee.

"Ya'll-right?" Brian asked in his southern, slurred voice.

"Yeah I'm fine B, how is the alcohol treating ya here?" She asked raising an eye brow.

"Just fine thank you," he smiled. The DJ then made a comment for everyone to head on home unless they worked there because they were closing.

"Alright guys let's head on out," Kylie stood up and gingerly put weight onto her leg.

"See you tomorrow kid," Steve said to her.

"You bet ya, goodnight," she smiled and she limped outside to the cars.

"Are you sure you're okay? You look like it still hurts?" Nick asked.

"Oh yeah, it's just stiff now. Doesn't hurt at all," she assured Nick, half lying. "Thanks for coming out guys. I hope you had fun."

"We did, I will have to bring Leigh when we come to visit!" Brian said loudly.

"Okay Rok, okay," Nick shook his head. Nick walked Kylie to her car and held the door open as she got in. "You going to be able to get up all those stairs to your apartment?"

"As long as the elevator isn't out of service this week then yes," she laughed. "It will be fine when I wake up. Trust me happens too frequently but always the same outcome."

"Alright. Well, goodnight. If you uh, if you need anything you can call me." Nick told her shyly.

"Thanks Nick, I will talk to you before Sunday either way okay?"

"Okay," Nick smiled and closed her door. He then guided Brian towards his car so the two could go home.

"Good to see you smiling Nicky," Brian patted Nick on his shoulder before climbing into the car.

Featured song: "Redneck Woman" by Gretchen Wilson
~*~*~*~
"Nick move your butt!" Kylie called down. She was strapped in the rope and adjusting her carabiners.

"This is my first time ya know," he called up and reached his head up to the next rock.

"I'm just teasing, you're doing a great job. We're almost to the top babe!" The sun was beating down and it was a clear blue sky. Nick wiped the back of his hand to his forehead, removing the beads of sweat that threatened to drip into his eyes. This was a rush to him, something new and exciting. Despite how hard it was, he found himself enthralled with the technical movements he had to make in order to climb up the mountain.

Kylie helped Nick rig himself the rest of the way up and the two pulled themselves up. After getting their ropes situated, they unhooked their harnesses and took in the scenery. "So?" Kylie asked putting her hands on her hips.

"That was...wow," Nick took in a deep breath. "I loved it. And it is so awesome up here," he smiled and spun around slowly taking everything in.

"It sure is hot though today and it's only nine am."

"Yeah it's supposed to go up to almost a hundred and five today. It's a good thing we came early."

"If I hadn't worked until four am last night, I would have brought us for sunrise. That's pretty amazing, so is sunset though."

"I'd love to see either." Nick told her taking a few pictures. "Come here," Nick waved his hand toward Kylie. She walked over to him and he put his arm around her shoulder. He then held the camera and got ready to take the picture. "One-two-three," Nick pushed the button and the camera flashed.

"It's nice to see you lighten up," Kylie told Nick drinking from her water bottle.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You just seem different from the first time I've seen you. Don't worry in all good ways." She winked and began to get things ready for the climb down. "You ready Carter? Sun will be at high noon soon."

"Yeah, so I put this on the belt first?" Nick asked reassuring his actions.

"Yeah, and this goes here," Kylie helped him, the two were inches away. "There ya go," she looked up at Nick and he looked down into her deep emerald eyes. Her full lips smiled and Nick found himself licking his own lips and then turning away. "You want me to go before you?"

"Uh-sure," Nick cleared his throat and watched as Kylie went down first. He then followed her moves and began climbing down the steep rocks.

"Put your foot to the right Nick, there's a better step," she helped him down. The climb down was easier and Nick found himself catching up to Kylie. They were almost at the bottom and the two were racing to see who could get down first.

"I'm kind of a fast learner," Nick played and pullied himself down.

"Yeah but you never ah-" Kylie had stepped on a rock that broke. She quickly reached above her and tightened her rope and caught her barrings.

"Kylie!" Nick shouted and moved down to where Kylie was down hanging onto the rocks.

"Yeah that doesn't usually happen, my knee gave out and I put my weight on that one rock I knew I shouldn't have."

"You're okay though?" Nick asked and reached for her rope.

"I'm good,let's go," she pulled away and started climbing down. Once to the bottom, Kylie began getting the ropes together and other pieces of equipment.

"You're limping," Nick pointed out, tying a knot in the rope to keep it together. He then put into the bag with other climbing equipment.

"Eh, not really. I feel like I am sweating like a man though." She laughed.

"You smell like one too!" Nick shot at her with a smirk.

"You're dead," Kylie ran and jumped on Nick's back.

"I take that back, you smell like a WWE wrestler."

"You don't smell much better," she told Nick hopping off. The two went back to Nick's car they had decided to take. "I'm driving!" She yelled and hopped into the drivers seat.

"You can drive stick?" Nick asked getting in the passenger side.

"We'll find out," she smiled and pushed the clutch in to start the car. Going from neutral to first she made sure she shifted so there were jerks in her driving.

"Maybe isn't the time to learn, we are up in the mountains." Nick put his seat belt on. She then shifted into second and up to third smoothly.

"Relax, I was kidding. My car is standard too."

"Oh, I knew that." He said relaxing a little. "Thanks for today. It was quite the work out and a lot more rewarding."

"I hate going to gyms to work out, I'd rather be out in nature or just doing things that involves a lot of movement."

"I hear ya."

"Well, it's only eleven. What do you want to do?"

"Doesn't matter. Nothing planned for the day.'

"That so?"

"Yup, you're driving so wherever you want to go."

"Wherever huh?"

"Wherever."

"Okay," Kylie smiled and headed to the destination she had in her head. "So, maybe later tonight I could come over and work on this song? I have a show coming up this Tuesday at the coffee place."

"Of course. I know A.J. has been wanting to talk to you more about getting things moving for your CD."

"I know, I've been busy with work and not doing great with the tracks. I'm working on this one song that's just...it may be too much."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm not really an emotional person but like anyone else, I've dealt with some @#%$. Keyword, dealt and I thought once I started writing it, I'd be able to go ahead and write about. But it started cutting in a little deeper than planned." Nick nodded his head, in knowing exactly what she was saying.

"Maybe I can help you with it?" Nick suggested. "Writing about certain events in your life can be therapeutic however. Maybe you haven' dealt with it as much as you thought and when you finish the song maybe you'll feel complete?"

"I guess. I know I just need to suck it up and do it, without procrastinating any more." Kylie and Nick continued to talk until they reached where Kylie was taking them.

"The beach?" Nick asked as Kylie pulled up to a parking spot.

"This area here is usually pretty dead all the time like it is now. I'm sure though by like one or two people will have found it and will be dying to get into that water. I don't know about you but a swim is exactly what I need after that climb."

"We could go swimming at A.J.'s" Nick pointed out.

"Yeah but this is the ocean!"

"I don't have a suit."

"Neither do I, " Kylie pointed out and put the emergency brake on before pulling out the keys.

"Let's just go back to A.J.'s the pool will be warmer."

"Oh stop being a girl Carter." Kylie joked and climbed out. Nick hesitated and talked himself into moving before he followed.

'It's just the beach, just because you haven't been to one in almost two years doesn't mean you can't do this,' he told himself and slowly followed behind Kylie.