- Text Size +
"See this is where I get stuck," Kylie pressed all ten fingers on the white ivory keys of A.J.'s Grand Piano. Nick had been pacing back and forth behind her, his arms crossed, one hand on his chin. It was a great melody he thought, it went from a hard to soft back to hard rock theme.

"Go back to that last verse," Nick said sitting next to her on the bench.

"Have you forgotten all I know and all we had? You saw me mourning my love for you and touched my hand, I knew you loved me then..."

"Kylie tell me the story behind the song because I'm getting two different feels over this." Nick asked and he watched as she moved her fingers over the keys smoothly and acted as she didn't hear him. After a minute she folded her hands onto her lap and let out a sigh.

"It's not ready I guess that's my problem." She shrugged and looked down at her watch on her hand. "Damn I have to go get ready for work. Thanks, Nick," she kissed his cheek and stood up gathering her things.

"You coming over for movie night tomorrow?" Nick asked hopefully.

"Yeah, I'll call you." She smiled and went out door. Nick found himself smiling and went into the kitchen to make himself something for dinner.

"She was sounding good in there, A.J. told Nick sitting there with Amanda going over some paper work."

"Yeah she's just stuck on this one song. I think it's too personal and she can't finish writing it." Nick shrugged and opened the refrigerator.

"I'm meeting with her in two weeks to finalize what tracks she wants to start laying out on the album. I've heard most of her stuff, the world is going to love her. She's Evanescence meets Michelle Branch."

"You two seem to have become close," Amanda smiled up at Nick.

"She's a cool girl," he said simply and pulled out items to make a turkey sandwich.

"A cool girl? That's all she is to you?" Amanda asked.

"Well," Nick paused for a second. "Yeah." He returned into making his sandwich.

"You men are so naive," she groaned.

"Leave Nicky alone," A.J. defended knowing this was a huge step from where he had been just three weeks ago.
~*~*~*~*~
Kylie was bar-tending that night and the place was pretty dead. But it usually was during the week. She found herself watching whatever sport was showing on the plasma TV and just wanted to be home.

"Are you really watching that?" Sam asked. He was the other bartender on duty.

"Hmm?" She asked. She had been actually thinking about her song and why she just didn't tell Nick about the meaning behind the song. Maybe it was because she didn't want to bring him an unneeded pain or remembering of his dead girlfriend.

"What's up Kylie?" He asked

"Just trying to figure out a song in my head," she smiled. "Dorky I know but I want to get this CD moving!"

"You know what, go on home and work on it. It's not going to pick up the last three hours we're here."

"No I couldn't do that."

"Come on you never take a day off and you never leave early. Do it, I double dog dare you!" He laughed and she bit her lower lip.

"You sure?"

"GO!" He threw a rag at her and she gave him a hug.

"Thanks Sam! See Thursday!" She grabbed her purse and took her keys out. As she was heading for the door a man who was sitting by himself at a table stood up.

"Excuse me, you wouldn't happen to be Sarah would you?" He asked. Kylie had to bite her tongue to keep from laughing from this pick up line she's heard before.

"No, I'm sorry," she began to walk away.

"Oh, well you see I was supposed to go on a date with this girl and she well, stood me up! Can you believe that? A girl standing up a guy like me?" He asked throwing his hands in the air. Kylie gave him a once over. He had thick dark hair and green eyes. His long sleeved button up had his sleeves rolled up and his forearms were evident he worked out. Over all yeah, she couldn't understand why someone would stand up this guy.

"I'm sorry to hear that," she smiled.

"Would you be interested in having a drink with me?" He asked. "Just so I don't look so foolish sitting here any longer by myself.

"Um, well I just got off my shift and-"

"One drink."

"Alright," she sighed and sat down at the table.

"What will it be?"

"Water?"

"Just a water?"

"A big water with lemon and a cherry?"

"Alright," he laughed and stood up to go to the bar. She felt her purse vibrate and she took out her cell phone. It was a text message from Nick.

:Were U late 4 work?: Kylie couldn't help herself from smiling from the simple text message, knowing Nick was thinking of her. She wrote back, ::No. Actually getting out early...or was...::

:Was?:

::Felt sorry for this guy by himself, he was stood up but is full of himself lol::

:Should I be jealous??: Kylie bit her lip and smiled, was Nick flirting with her?

::Maybe. ;-)::

"Here is your tall water with a lemon and cherry," the man set down the glass. "By the way, I'm Mark," he held out his hand.

"Kylie," she smiled and took it.

"Talking to your boyfriend?" Mark asked referring to the phone that was in her hand. She put into her purse and debated on not whether or not to tell him the truth.

"Just a friend," she smiled.

"So you're a bartender here?"

"Yeah and a struggling musician," she took a sip of her water.

"Oh? What do you play?"

"Sing mostly. But I play keyboard and I'd like to learn the guitar. What is it that you do?"

"Lawyer," he took a drink from his glass that Kylie assumed was whisky.

"Impressive."

"Yeah, it's alright. Pays the bills but I feel as though I work 24/7." Kylie's phone then vibrated again but she ignored it. "Do you need to take that?"

"Nah it's just a friend that has nothing better to do," she laughed. "So you live around here?" The two began to talk and got to know one another. Before Kylie realized it it was two am and the bar was closing.

"Kylie I gotta lock up," Sam told her. Kylie then looked at her watch.

"So much for leaving early," she laughed. "Alright Sam, thanks." She stood up as did Mark.

"It was great talking with you Kylie," Mark told her.


"Same with you. I'm sorry your date never showed."

"It happens," he shrugged. "Would it be alright if I asked for you number?"

"Umm, sure," she smiled and took her phone out. She opened it up, saw that Nick had sent her five more messages and hit the area code. "Tell me your number and I'll call you from my phone." Mark gave her the digits and she hit send. His phone rang and she hung up.

"Thanks. Well, let me walk you to your car." He said and held his arm out for her to go ahead of him. Mark walked her to her car and when she unlocked it, he opened the door. "Drive safe." He smiled and she thanked him.

"Goodnight Mark," she smiled and got into her car and he gently closed the door. Starting her car, she took a moment to put her seat belt on, and then took her phone out to read Nick's messages.

::So should I come save you?::

::I guess u r ok??::

::Going for run. Let me know when ur home.:: She laughed, this message was at one am.

"You and your late night runs Nick," she smiled and read the last two texts.

::Should I come beat this guy up or did u get home?::

::Going to bed, tty tomorrow. G'night::

Finding herself tired, she pushed the clutch in and put her car into first and headed home.