- Text Size +
The weeks passed and Nick and Kylie remained the good friends they were before the kiss. It wasn't brought up, nor was how Kylie slipped into the water that drunken night. It was a Sunday afternoon, and it was actually raining in California.

Kylie was bumming around her apartment, watching a movie when her buzzer went off. Letting out a small groan of annoyance she got up from her comfortable couch, her blanket wrapped around her and pressed the button. "Yeah?" She called into the intercom.

"It's me," the voice came through.

"What do you want Me?" She laughed.

"Let me up you pain in the ass."

"Yeah yeah, come up Nick." She pressed the button to unlock the door. She propped her door open and went to lay back on the couch. A minute later Nick entered the room.

"Lazy today?" He asked and she looked up.

"Just a little. What is that?" She laughed at Nick who was struggling to hold a rather large object in a long bag.

"I picked this up for you."

"It's not my birthday."

"No, but I thought you could use it. Besides I don't know when your birthday is?"

"You'll laugh."

"At when your birthday is?"

"Uh huh."

"April Fools day?"

"Nope."

"Well, when?"

"Halloween."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, now are you going to give me my surprise?" She grinned holding out her hands.

"Wait you were born on Halloween?"

"Yes."

"That's so cool. You're like a dream girl. That's my favorite holiday!" Nick said with excitment.

"Yeah, yeah. Present now?"

"Okay, if you don't like it then we can take it back and get you a different one. But I've been paying close attention to your style and it seems to fit best." He put the gift on the couch and Kylie eyed Nick wondering what he was talking about. She began to unzip the leather covering and brought her hand to her mouth, letting out a soft gasp at what she saw.

"Nick, you shouldn't have," she took it fully off and ran her fingers over the smooth white keys.

"I wanted to get you one sooner but had to get this one ordered. Is it okay?"

"It's beautiful. But Nick you didn't have to buy me key board."

"Yes I did." He sat next to her and watched as she turned it on.

"Nick thank you," she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed his cheek. "How can I repay you?"

"By working on that song you refuse to work on. You've put six tracks down and I think this song will really launch you." Nick watched as she pulled away, bit her bottom lip and had a worried look in her eyes.

"I'll try." She put the keyboard on the coffee table in front of her and turned it on.

"I know you have it all in your head, you need to just go with whatever you're feeling." Kylie nodded her head, she knew Nick was right.

The song was completed, it had been for months, she was constantly thinking about it. She just didn't know if she wanted to let Nick in that way.

Did she need to? He opened up to her about his girlfriends death. She turned the keyboard on, hesitated and then turned it off. Nick let out a sigh and leaned back.

"I'm ready to tell you." She said not looking at Nick. He sat up straighter and gave her his attention.

"About the song?"

"Yeah." She turned a little and picked up a picture frame that was on the end table and gave it to Nick. Right then he started to assume it was about a boy that broke her heart; maybe a frist love? Those are always hard to get over.

"That's me and my twin brother," she told him, erasing all of his assumptions. "Wes," she smiled a little thinking of him.

"I didn't know you had any siblings."

"Well, I don't any more. Wes died and it's my fault."

Nick listened intently, giving her room to think before she spoke. He could tell this was not an easy topic to talk about and saw the pain in her emerald eyes. The same eyes that Wes had now that Nick looked at the picture closer. Their lips both full, same dimples in their smiles and same noses.

"That picture was from our Senior Ball. Mom was big into taking pictures, I told her she'd get one and only one of me; because I was stubborn like that." Kylie laughed lightly and shook her head. "Wes and I were extremely different, yet we always just got each other you know? He knew when there was something up with me and vise versa. Call it a twin thing or whatever but we always had each other."

She shifted her weight so that her knees were tucked under her, she know clung onto a pillow to her chest; her eyes avoiding Nick's. Nick never took his own off of her, listening to her story.

"Wes was the high school jock, the guy every girl wanted to date and every Mother wanted their daughter to date. He was the star quarterback for the football team and captain of the lacrosse team. He wasn't a straight A student but he never had anything lower than a B. Funny, charming, sincere, honest, out going, he had it all. Including a full ride to play football for college.

"Me, I was pretty much everything Wes wasn't. I was a loner, I liked to do things on my own. I had my small group of friends and was content with that. I got straight A's but the discipline thing for me was not my forte. A lot of teachers would lower my grade to a B, just for showing up late for class or sometimes cutting early. But I did my work." Kylie shrugged and took the picture from Nick's hand and stared at it for a moment.

"My parents were always asking me why couldn't I be more like my brother. I'd joke and tell them that he should be like me because I was older, by two minutes." She grinned. "I wanted to play music, both of my parents were big athletes in school, my Dad also a big time football player and my Mom the cheerleader. I was enrolled in gymnastics at a young age, did pretty well with meets and loved it. My Mom wanted me to take her footsteps though and become the all star cheerleader whose brother was the football player.

"Yeah they invisioned some crazy stuff. I was pulled out of gymnastics when I was sixteen, level nine. Cheerleading was pushed and because I could do some serious tumbling and jumps I walked right onto the team. It really wasn't who I was at all. It's a hard sport with all the mounts but that kind of dancing and being peppy all of the time; it made me want to throw up. I made myself take some uppers before games and competitions because cheering didn't make me happy.

"I didn't hang out with the popular crowd, the only reason I wasn't given much of a hard time at school was because my brother was the class President and Quarterback. Anyway, I think you get the picture, my brother could do no wrong and my parent's looked at me as though I was a failure."

"That has to be hard in your brother's footsteps all the time in school."

"Yeah but I loved Wes to death and he was never embarassed to be around me, or give me a hug at school if I were having a bad day. He stuck up for me as much as he could with parents but I just couldn't be that kind of person. So, it was our Senior Ball, I was with my group of friends and Wes was with the entire class pretty much after but my date was a jerk. Wes tried to warn me but he going with him upset my parents and so that's why I took him. So after parties, I know you didn't do the school thing but there is drinking and weed and God knows what else we were doing. I was pretty drunk and high and my date started taking advantage of me, ripped my dress pretty much and forced himself right into me. I called Wes at one point crying and he told me to stay where I was and he'd come get me. I tried to tell him I could get a ride but he knew that we all had been drinking and supposedly he'd only had a few at his party..." At this point Kylie was squeezing the pillow harder to her body. Her eyes filled with tears but none escaped.

"My date got mad that I called my brother, jumped in his car and sped off. When my brother didn't show up in ten minutes like he said he would I knew something was wrong. I tried his phone over and over, it went right to voicemail as though it was shut off. I had another friend begin to drive me home almost an hour later and about a half mile down the road two cars were rolled over. Fire trucks, Police cars and ambulances surrounded the area and we pulled over. I recognized the first car which was my brother's, the second, my dates."

"Oh my God, Kylie I am so sorry."

"My brother's blood alcohol level was over but not by much and my date's well, he was way off the charts. But because they were both legally intoxicated there was no fault. My parent's haven't spoken a word to me since the day we buried my brother into the ground, the day before Graduation." Nick's heart went out for Kylie and he pulled her to him. "Nick you don't have to. I've made sure I haven't shed a tear since that night he was taken away. I know I don't deserve it."

"Kylie, that wasn't your fault. You had no idea." He squeezed her tighter and kissed her forhead. He could feel her body tensed and taking deep breaths as into trying to hold back her tears. "Baby let them go," he whispered. At that moment the first tear she ever released for her dead twin brother, rolled down her flushed cheeks.