- Text Size +
“But it wasn’t weird to hang with him after all these years?” Reanne asked ash she touched her hair up in the mirror.
“No, I felt comfort around him for some reason. I don’t know what to wear?!” Brooke yelled from her closet.
“The last outfit was hot. That dress showed off those curves and long legs I’d die for.”
“Really? It’s not too much?” She asked
“No way, I mean look at me! So, will there be any single Backstreet Boys?”
“Actually yes,” Brooke came out of her closet wearing the dress her friend suggested.
“Which one? Let me guess, well since Nick is yours, Brian is married, Kevin is married and well not part of the group anymore, so it’s Howie or A.J.”
“Which one do you want?”
“What? They’re both single?”
“No, I’m just curious as to which one you would want.”
“Well, you know I’m a sucker for tattoos, so A.J!”
“Damn, sorry.”
“Well, Howie is cute too. Very sexy.”
“Yes,” Brooke laughed trying not to give away that she would be indeed set up with A.J. The doorbell rang as Brooke finished applying her lip gloss and Reanne answered it.
“Hi, I’m Nick, you must be Reanne?” He asked putting his hand out. She shook it and told him to come in. She looked behind him to try to spot Howie but didn’t see im.
“Where’s the rest of the clan?”
“They’ll meet us there and actually one of the other’s is in the car. He’s just on the phone with them setting up something.”
“Hey Nick,” Brooke smiled walking down the steps. Nick was speechless as his eyes ran from her long legs up to her face.
“Wow, you’ve grown up.” He smiled.
“I hope in a good way?” she asked.
“Very good way. So, are you ready?” he asked.
“Yeah, let me grab my purse in the kitchen and I’ll be right out,” she walked in her heels to the kitchen and Nick watched her hips sway.
“You be careful with her, she’s been through a lot and I’m not saying just with her family.” Reanne warned. Nick was about to ask what that was supposed to mean when she appeared.
“Ready!” The three went out to the car and A.J. got out and opened the back seat door. Reanne looked over at Brooke and Brooke just winked.
“Hello, my name is Alex and your name must be Gorgeous,” he said grinning.
“Reanne,” she shook his hand and felt her cheeks grow warm. He kissed the top of her hand and let her get in the car first and got in next to her. Brooke started laughing and Nick looked at her as he opened the door.
“I told her that her date was going to be Howie but she thinks A.J. is hotter so it was a surprise. “
“Ahh,” Nick laughed. “Still the one with tricks up the sleeves I see,” Nick winked and closed the door.
“This place looks like fun,” Reanne said as Nick parked the car. There were lights all around the restaurant, palm trees were lit with lights, tiki torches lined the walk away and the warm air night made everything fit.
The foursome walked up to the door where they met Brian, his wife Leigh Anne and Howie and his fiancée Leigh. Everyone exchanged their hellos and introduced themselves. Soon they were seated in the back of the restaurant.
“So what do you feel eating tonight?” Nick asked Brooke.
“Umm, I think the haddock with broccoli.”
“Healthy eater I see.”
“I try. I just prefer healthy food over junk. But give me ice cream and I can’t turn it down,” she laughed. “How about you?”
“Hmm, maybe I should take some notes from you, or get the prime rib.”
“I’m not a big meat fan so knock yourself out.”
“Looks like your friend and A.J. over there are hitting it off pretty well. Especially since she’s a red head.”
“He has a thing for red heads huh? Maybe I should dye mine, what do you think?”
“I think your hair is beautiful as it is,” Nick smiled and Brooke felt her cheeks go warm.
“So Brooke, Nick tells us he grew up with you, what can you tell about Nick here as a little kid?” Leigh Ann asked.
“Well, he was a pain in the ass. Used to run around with my sister and tease me. I was locked in the basement once because he knew I was afraid of the dark.”
“Seems like nothing has changed,” Brian laughed.
“He was a good friend also. One time we went walking in the woods and I fell into this well. Taya went to get help and Nick decided to jump in and keep me company, I believe we were nine at the time.”
“How did you know Taya would be back or remember where you were?” Howie asked drinking from his wine glass.
“I just knew,” Nick said.
“Nick ended up breaking his foot and I had broken my arm so we were a pair; remember the ride to the hospital Nick. We rode in the ambulances and thought it was the coolest thing; oh and Taya was jealous she wasn’t hurt so she jumped off the stairs to try to hurt herself and she just ended spraining her finger.”
“Jealous over getting hurt huh?” A.J. asked.
“Those two did everything together, went to school, went to Nick’s singing lessons and she took dance lessons with him. They would often spend the night in each other’s beds and they’d put on plays in the back yard, sometimes with Nick’s sister’s. Oh this one time—”
“Excuse me,” Nick said and got up from the table. Brooke stopped talking and looked at Brian.
“I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to upset him.”
“It’s just been a long day. We just need to keep down the Taya talk I think,” Brian assured her and stood up. “I’m just going to check on him.” Brian walked in the direction where Nick went.
“You’re a nurse?” Leigh asked.
“Yeah, at County General.” Brooke bit her lower lip and looked in the direction where Brian and Nick went.
“Nick will be fine, and I believe that more now than I did yesterday,” A.J. told Brooke.
In Another Room
“Nick you alright?” Brian asked walking into the lounge.
“Hey yeah sorry, I just, I’m being ridiculous.” Nick ran his fingers through his blonde hair.
“Nick you’ve had a lot thrown at you today, it’s understandable.”
“She’s able to talk about Taya and I’m not for some reason? I don’t get it, it was her sister and she’s more okay with it than me.”
“Nick you still had hope she was alive all these years and you haven’t seen Brooke in seven years. You went to the spot where she died and where you two used to hang out all the time. But you need to deal with it and I think that talking about the good memories will help you.” Nick stood up and walked to the wall, he put his arm up and rested his forehead on it. “Do you want to go home bud? We can. We don’t even have to tell anyone you can just go.”
Nick shook his head no, looked up and wiped his eyes.
“Nick, I’m so sorry,” Brooke’s voice came up behind him. Nick looked at her and rubbed his eyes again.
“You didn’t do anything wrong, Brian’s right I need to start dealing with the past that happened so long ago.” Brooke walked up to him closer, she put her hands on his face and thumbed away his tears.
“You’re not alone with this anymore Nick, you’ve got me, I’m not going anywhere. I promise.” Her eyes looked right into his blue ones.
“How did you become so strong through all of this?” Nick sighed and dropped his head on her shoulder. She wrapped her arms around him and felt his arms hold her tighter.
“Us Heart girls were always stronger than you Carter,” she pulled him away and winked. “Come on lets go get you some beef.”
~*~*~*Later that Night*~*~*~
“I didn’t know you could actually dance,” Brooke told Nick as they danced to some Latin music on the dance floor.
“Who knew you could have some grace, I remember you falling all over the place because your feet grew before you did!”
“I don’t know, I think I may want to dance with Howie, he’s really moving over there.”
“That’s because he’ part Latin, this was his choice tonight. I’ll take you to a real club where I can get my groove on,” Nick swiveled his hips around and thrust his hips.
“Can hardly wait,” Brooke said sarcastically. She pulled Nick’s arms up and spun herself around.
“I think you need another drink,” Nick pulled her arm towards the bar.
“I’m already feeling pretty good Nick. I don’t think I need any more in me.”
“One more to end the night, cran-vodka?”
“Alright, but next time we go out, say to your clubbing, you’re drinking with.”
“Sounds good, this Friday night. Hi, could I please have a cranberry vodka, Grey Goose please.”

“I definitely did not miss waking up at the crack of dawn for interviews on our break,” Brian whined yawning.
“We get to do Disney all day tomorrow though. That will be fun!” Howie chirped up.
“Yeah Nick you should ask Brooke to come,” A.J. said.
“She may have to work,” he shrugged his shoulders as he got into the van with their body guards.
“Won’t hurt to ask. Where are we off to now?” A.J. asked.
“We have another radio station to do, then rehearsal for the show.” Brian told them looking at a book. He had become manager over the last year and was in full charge of what was to happen.
“You want to stop somewhere for breakfast guys?” Jimmy the driver asked. They heard a chorus of ‘yes’ and nothing from Nick.
“Yo Kaos, you want some grub?” A.J. asked. Nick continued to stare out the window.
“Nick?” Brian shook his arm.
“Hmm? Yeah sorry what’s up?”
“Are you hungry?” Howie asked.
“Not really thanks,” his eyes drifted back to the outside. The guys exchanged glances at each other for they knew the familiar signs of Nick when he was upset.
Later that afternoon the guys were in the middle of their rehearsal for their new concert when Nick stopped singing in the middle of one of his parts. He dropped his microphone and stared out across the arena. They weren’t going to be performing for their Disney show here but this is where they would practice. Nick’s head began to spin at what he was seeing and he dropped to his knees. A young Taya wearing her over alls and hair up in a high pony tail was sitting in the seats. Her face was blue andit was evident she was crying.
“NICK!” Brian was by his side. “Nick are you alright?”
“Yeah I just, did you see her?”
“See who Nick?” Howie asked on the other side of him. Nick looked up and Taya was gone.
“No one, I just, I guess I should’ve eaten today,” Nick went to stand and he stumbled into Brian’s arms.
“Let’s get you home,” Brian said. “A.J. have Jimmy get the car please.” Howie and Brian helped Nick stand up and walk over to where their things were.
“Maybe we should get him checked out at the hospital?” Howie told Brian.
“I don’t know I think some rest and food is all he needs.”
“I’m right here guys,” Nick waved his hand in front of them and sat in a chair. One of the crew members gave Nick bottled water and he drank it.
“Okay let’s go home. We’ll just have to get to sound check a little early tomorrow.” A.J. told the guys.
“I’m just going to check something, I’ll meet you guys in the car in a minute,” Brian told them. A.J. and Howie helped Nick into the car. Brian actually stayed back to call Brooke. He took out his cell phone and looked up her number. He hit send and put the phone to his ear. It rang four times and her voice mail picked up.
“Hey hey you’ve reached the voicemail of Brooke! Leave me something important enough and I just may call you back!”
“Hey Brooke, its Brian. We’re leaving rehearsal right now for the show tomorrow and are heading home. I was just wondering when you were done with work tonight, Nick got a dizzy spell or something and he almost passed out. He doesn’t want to go get looked at and I thought that, hold on I have a beep…and it’s you,” Brian switched his phone over. “Hey I was just leaving you a voice mail.”

“Yeah sorry I just got home from work, what’s up?”
“Could you come over to the beach house and give Nick a once over?”
“Is he sick?”
“I’m not sure? He almost passed out I think, he just collapsed to his knees. We’re leaving right now.”
“Sure, are you coming from Orlando though?”
“No, we just rehearsed at the stadium around here. We have a show here in about another week. But we have to be in Orlando early tomorrow for sound check. Hey do you want to come tomorrow?”
“I’d love to, I’m on call but I won’t hear until five am tomorrow. If they don’t call me by then, then I can come.”
“Okay, we’ll be home in about a half hour.”
“Alright I’ll leave in about fifteen minutes then.”
“Thanks Brooke, see you soon.” Brian hung up his phone and headed out to the car.
As the guys arrived to their beach house, Brooke was leaning against her Eclipse staring out to the ocean.
“Guys I’m fine, stop making a big deal!” Nick pulled away from Howie’s hand as he got out of the car. “Brooke, what are you doing here?”
“Oh, just in the neighborhood,” she winked at Brian. “Thought I’d say hi,” she smiled and walked up to Nick.
“I’m glad you came. Come on in,” Nick lead the way into the house.
“So how are you?” She asked.
“Good, you?” Nick went into the living room.
“Nick I’ll make some lunch,” Brian told him. “Brooke would you like anything?”
“No thanks Bri. So how was rehearsal?” She asked.
“Good until Nick here almost passed out,” A.J. shot taking a seat on the couch.
“Nick?” Brooke asked playing dumb.
“Yeah, I don’t know, I guess it’s because I didn’t eat. I just got a little dizzy that’s all.” Nick shrugged his shoulders.
“Mind if I take a look at you? I’m kinda paranoid over people, it’s my job.”
“Did one of the guys call you?” he asked looking at A.J. and then Howie.
“No, I told you I was in the area. Now come here,” Brooke stood up in front of Nick. “Do you have any pain when I press here,” she pushed on his temples.
“No.”
“Here?” she pressed on the back of his head.
“No, I’m fine.” Brooke felt his glands in his throat and looked into his eyes.
“Have you ever had dizzy spells like you had today?” she took his pulse and watched the second hand on her watch.
“Not really no.”
“Your pulse is a little low, which probably means your blood sugar is low.”
“Turkey sandwich, Swiss cheese and yellow mustard,” Brian handed Nick a plate and glass of milk.
“Thanks,” Nick took the plate and set it on the table. “I’m actually just kind of tired.”
“Me too, I’m going to go take a nap in my room,” A.J. said standing up.
“Why don’t you call Reanne? She’s probably on her way to work in an hour.”
“Really?! I mean, she wants me to?”
“Yes, Alex!” Brooke laughed.
“Did you want to do something?” Nick asked Brooke.
“How about we watch a movie? I was at work at five this morning and just got out. I’m tired too.”
“Sounds good,” Nick stood up and pulled a case full of movies. He put in ‘Zodiac’ in and lay on the couch. Broke saw a blanket on the floor and put it over Nick. “Thanks,” he smiled and Brooke took a seat on the floor against the couch.
“Leigh is down at the beach with Bailey, I’m going to go meet them,” Brian told us.
“I can move over if you want,” Nick told Brooke.
“No, it’s alright. I’m comfortable. Let me know if you need anything.”
“Thanks for coming over, I know Brian called you.”
“He did not!”
“Brooke, I know Brian and his over protectiveness.”
“Well, I was hoping to get a call from you anyway.”
“I was going to, to see if you could come to Disney tomorrow?”
“Just as long as I’m not called in tomorrow morning, I’d love to.”
The two watched the movie and within an hour of it Nick was fast asleep.
“I’m going to go put him down for a nap, he hasn’t taken one yet today and he’ll be grumpy all night.” Leigh Ann told Brian with Bailey in his arms.
“Uncle Niick!” Bailey squalled and kicked to get out of his mom’s arms.
“Shh, Uncle Nicky is sleeping,” Brian told his son and gave him a kiss.
“I’m going to sleep a little too I think,” Leigh Ann told Brian.
“I’ll be up with you in a minute,” Brian smiled and walked into the living room.
“Good movie, I see Nick here is taken it upon himself to take a nap while he has a guest.”
“Nah he needed the rest,” Brooke looked over shoulder to the sleeping Nick.
“It’s probably not my place, I won’t tell Nick but you have feelings for him?”
“I-I don’t know.”
“Well, I see it in both of you that you both care for each other a lot and you both seemed to have clicked instantly.”
“But what if it’s just our past that has clicked us?”
“It goes beyond deeper than that I think. Just keep doing what you’re doing and I think what you need to know, will come out.”
“I hope so, I do care for him.”
“I know,” Brian smiled. “Well, feel free to help yourself to anything you need.”
“Thanks,” she smiled up to Brian and headed for his room.
“Taya,” Nick mumbled
“Brian!” Brooke yelled and he came back into the room.
“What?” he asked.
“Nick, he—”
“I’m sorry I’m late…where are you?” Nick’s head began to move back and forth.
“He’s having a dream about her,” Brooke looked up to Brian with worry in her eyes.
“He hasn’t in a while.”
“I don’t know if we should wake him?”
“I’m sorry I’m so sorry, where are you? Taayyyaa Noooo!” Nick yelled as his body started to thrust.
“Nick wake up, it’s Brian.” Brian took a hold of Nick’s shoulders.
“Nick it’s Brooke, can you hear me?” she placed her hand on his forehead and ran her fingers through his hair. “Shh, Nick wake up. It’s okay, everything’s fine.” Her voice was calm and soothing. Nick’s eyes opened and he was breathing hard, tears were streaming down his face. “Oh Nick,” she wiped away his tears.
“Brooke?” Nick’s voice broke and he sat up.
“Yeah you had a bad dream, you’re okay.” She rubbed his back.
“I’m sorry, I can’t do this. I’m so sorry, for everything.” He stood up and walked out of the room.
_________________