- Text Size +
The next day Nick woke up from Brooke tossing and turning in the bed. He glanced at the clock next to him and it read six-eleven.

"You alright?" Nick asked rolling over.

"I'm sorry I woke you up."

"It's fine. Hey are those tears?" Nick brushed his thumb over her cheek. "What's wrong hon?" Nick now was sitting up.

"I think..."she hesitated and put her face into her hands. Nick got out of bed and pulled the sheets down Brooke's legs and looked at her ankle. It was a lot worse than when they went to bed.

"Brooke, I've sprained my ankle before too and have seen them on our dancers, this is not a sprain. Can you move it at all?" Nick looked up at Brooke after examining her ankle and then she shook her head no, he stood up.

"Okay. Let me throw some clothes on, I'm taking you to the hospital. Alright Brooke?" She nodded her head and Nick picked up a pair of jeans and slid them over his boxers. He put on a pair of socks and then helped Brooke put on her shorts. She then put on the Disney sweatshirt she had just bought over Nick's tee shirt she wore.

"I'm sorry Nick."

"Don't be. You ready? Your shoes are in the living room right?"

"Yeah." Nick picked her up and brought her into the living room. He sat her on the couch and put on her left shoe for her. "I'm going to write a note for the fellas and get you some ice. You okay for a minute?" Brooke nodded her head and fought to keep the tears back. She hated crying and hated even worse crying in front of people. A couple minutes later Nick came back out with a bag of ice and picked her back up.

"You can take my car, my keys are in it." Nick nodded and put her in the passenger side. He got in and handed her the ice. She put it on her foot and Nick started the car.

"How long had you been up?"

"Oh just the entire night." Brooke laughed.

"You should've woken me up."

"It was a long day for you, you were tired, I couldn't." Nick drove to the hospital, as it began to sprinkle outside. After a fifteen minute drive they arrived and Nick parked the car. He got out and went to the passenger side and got Brooke out. He brought her inside, where a nurse saw them and immediately brought over a wheel chair. Nick gently set her down and the nurse pushed her to a room where Nick explained what happened.

"We will get an x-ray right away and then a doctor will be in. Can you get up onto this table?" The nurse asked Brooke. Brooke nodded and stood up with Nick's help and sat up onto the table. Nick carefully picked up her right leg and set it on the table and pain flickered her blue eyes as it came down. "I'll have the technician come right in dear," the nurse smiled and walked out.

"I take it you don't know her?"

"I don't really know the night shift any more." Just then another nurse and man came in.

"I hear we need an x-ray on an ankle?" The guy said. "Brooke? What did you do?"

"Since when do you do work this shift Eric?" she asked.

"Filling in for Natalie. Isn't this the same ankle you sprained two months ago?"

"Two months ago?" Nick asked in surprise. "Reanne wasn't kidding."

"Shut it. And yeah same one. It's pretty bad this time."

"Okay, let's get this on you," he put on a lead apron over her and had her lay down. He pulled down the x-ray machine. "Sir you need to step over here with me while I do these pictures." Nick squeezed Brooke's hand and went behind the window. Eric took a couple pictures and then had Brooke lay on her sides where he took more pics.

"Alright, I'll send these right to Dr. McRoy, he'll come see you right away. It's slow tonight."

"Thanks Eric."

"Special treatment for working in an E.R. I see." Nick told her taking a seat in a chair.

"Not usually."

"So you think it's broken?"

"I really have no idea. I've broken it once, but it actually didn't hurt this bad before. It was a clean break, but when I fell, it kind of just crumpled." Nick mad a face of disgust. Within ten minutes a doctor came in with the x-rays and he put them up on the screen.

"If you wanted a few days off all you had to do was ask Brooke," Dr. McRoy told her.

"Don, you know I can't make things easy. So what did it show?"

"Well, it's a mess and I'd like to get an MRI on it. See all of these bones here in the front are pretty much shattered, but this grey area, that's your ligaments and such and there should be some light being able to show through. We can actually get you right in for the MRI machine up stairs, I can give you a reading but it's going to be safe to say you're probably going to need surgery."

"Ugh," Brooke laid back down on the table. "Just throw a cast on it."

"A cast would make it worse, we may have to splint it for a while. But we'll see what the MRI shows. You can go up now, I'll send the call and see you up there."

"Alright." The doctor left and Nick stood up and walked over to Brooke.

"So you may be getting the surgery whether you want it or not."

"You're not making this easier."

"Come on pain in the butt," Nick helped her back into the wheel chair and pushed her to the elevators. "What floor?"

"Fourth." Nick pushed the button.

"I'm really sorry this happened."

"Nick seriously, not your fault. For a normal person, a fall wouldn't shatter an ankle. It's from years of ruining it."

"I know but I feel bad. I'm going to take care of you though." The doors opened and Nick pushed her out .

"Down to your right." She told Nick. "You don't need to Nick."

"I want to." Nick was then ushered out of the room where they began preparing for the MRI. Nick found a coffee machine and got himself a cup while he waited to see Brooke again. He felt his phone vibrate and he pulled it out of his back pocket.

"Hello?" he answered.

"How is she Nick?"

"Hey Brian, she's getting an MRI on it right now."

"No x-ray?"

"Well, they did that already but he ankle is such a mess they couldn't tell what bones were broken or what ligaments were torn. What time is it?"

"Eight. Do you guys need anything?"

"No, we'll probably be here for a couple more hours though. I have a feeling it's not good."

"Well, give us a call if you need anything."

"Thanks man."

"Tell Brooke I said feel better."

"Will do, later." Nick hung up his phone and took a seat. He finished his coffee when the door opened and a nurse had Nick go back in. Brooke was now sitting in the wheel chair, with an ice pack on her ankle. She looked pale and had her head in her hands.

"The doctor will be in in a few minutes." The nurse smiled and exited the room.

"Thanks. Hey you, you hanging in there?" She nodded her head not looking up. "Brian said to feel better." She nodded her head again. "Can they give you any kind of pain medicine?"

"Not yet. Ugh I feel like I'm going to be sick."

"Seriously?"

"I don't think I will, it's just how I feel." Nick rubbed her back and kissed her forehead.

"You're doing great, just a little longer and I'll get you home."

"I can call Reanne or someone else to come so you can go back home and rest."

"There isn't anywhere else I want to be right now," Nick looked into her eyes, lifting her chin with his thumb and index finger. "I would be too worried if I were away." Brooke smiled and just then Dr. McRoy came in.

"Want the good news or bad news?" He asked.

"Bad." Brooke replied.

"You need a couple of screws put in, some ligaments and such need to be fixed and you will be having surgery in a couple of hours."

"And the good?"

"I'll be doing your surgery and I have an IV with morphine in it with your name on it down stairs."

"How long do I have to stay here?" she asked.

"Depends. Most people are just here a few hours after surgery but you may need to stay the night. There could be more damage inside than we can see. You have a lot of scar tissue that's going to need to be scraped out, we'll need to set the main bone before surgery however."

"How soon can have the surgery?" Brooke asked trying to sit up taller in her chair.

"I can do it in about an hour after you're prepped. I'm booked from noon on so I'd like to get it done as soon as possible. Judy," he talked to the nurse that had just been with Brooke. "Please call down and get a room available for Brooke and set up a surgery team."

"Yes, Doctor." The nurse walked out of the room.

"I will see you shortly. Don't worry, you'll be in great hands."

"I know Don, thank you."

"I'll go see how everything is coming along and Judy will be back in when she has a room." The Doctor nodded towards Nick and left.

"I'm sorry Brooke. Can I call anyone or do anything?"

"No, but thank you for being here. If I had been home alone last night I probably would've waited another week before even getting an x-ray."

"Alright, I can take you to your room. An anesthesiologist will be there in about ten minutes to have you sign some papers." Judy the nurse had came in and pushed Brooke out of the room. Nick walked with them to the elevator and they went down a couple floors. Nick couldn't help but feel uneasy about how fast everything was happening and was nervous about the surgery.

"Okay dear, if you could just put on our lovely gown that we have here for you. Can I help you up into bed?" her cheery face made Broke want to throw up even more.

"No thanks, I'm all set."

"Okay. Someone will be in soon." she walked out of the room and Nick went up to Brooke, who was trying to stand up out of her wheel chair.

"You can't do everything on your own you know." Nick put a hand around her waist and another under her arm. He helped her into bed.

"I'm more independent than you may realize." Her face scrunched up when she tried to bring her leg up.

"I know you're very independent," Nick picked up her leg and placed a pillow under it. "But, while I'm here, please use me so that you can heel."

"You'll be leaving soon, two more weeks?" Nick caught the tone of disappointment in her voice.

"We'll see, I may stay later if I can find a place to stay," he winked. "Are you scared about the surgery?"

"No, it's not like it's my lungs or heart. I'll be fine." She dropped her head back so she was laying back now. "Ugh I feel so weak and I haven't even had the surgery yet."

"Do you know why?"

"It's just my body trying to fight against it being hurt." She started to fumble with the gown and tried to sit up a little. Nick took the hospital gown into his hands and looked into her eyes.

"May I?" he asked. Brooke bit the corner of her lip and slowly nodded her head, too tired to try herself. The entire time, Nick's eyes stayed locked onto Brooke's, as he slipped off her sweat shirt and tee shirt. He put his arm around her back to prop her up, as he slipped on the gown through one arm and then through her other. He closed it in the front and tied it.

He then slipped off her left shoe and sock and then pulled her shorts down her long legs. When it came to pull her right foot out of the leg hole, he softly placed a kiss on her ankle before setting it back onto the pillow.

"I hear some pain medication is in need," Judy came back into the room.

"Please!" Brooke said desperately.

"I'll hook this IV up to you, some saline and just codeine now, we don't want to put you on morphine until after you wake up from the surgery." The nurse continued to open some packages and start an IV on Brooke's left hand. "There we are, and I'll put the codeine in right now."

"I see you're almost ready. How are you doing?" Don came into the room.

"She just put the codeine in, but it's starting to work."

"Good, I'm going to have to set this one bone right now. It shouldn't be too bad but you will be in some discomfort." Brooke's eyes met Nick's and he took her right hand into his. She squeezed it and closed her eyes. "On three you ready?"

"I guess," Brooke replied keeping her eyes closed.

"One-two-" and then the doctor pulled and turned her foot causing the room to fill with a loud pop. Brooke let out a small cry and squeezed Nick's hand harder.

"What happened to three?" Nick asked.

"Just seems to work better for patience he replied. Okay, Dr.Keller will be in for your-" Just then the door opened and a female doctor came in.

"For your happy place medicine," she smiled.

"See you again when you wake up," Don smiled and left the room. Dr. Keller asked Brooke a bunch of questions of history, family history and what kind of anaesthesia she would like.

"And do you want me to release information to Mr. Carter here for surgery?" Dr. Keller asked.

"Yeah."

"Please sign here," she pointed her long finger nail by an X. "Alright, I'll let you have a moment and I'll be back in to knock you out."

"Nick it's going to be a long surgery. Why don't you go home for a while."

"I don't want to leave you."

"I won't even notice," Brooke laughed. "Go shower, eat something and come back."

"We'll see."

"No you will go! And let Reanne know what's going on please. She'll start to worry and then get on my case later and I am not going to want to deal with it after surgery."

"Okay."

"Nick relax, you're making me nervous and I'm the one going under the knife."

"I just don't do well in hospitals."

"Alright Brooke, I'm going to put this into your IV and you'll be out within seconds." Dr. Keller and come back in.

"Let's do it." Brooke smiled. The doctor had already pushed the syringe into the IV.

"Brooke, will you go out with me after you're all better?" Nick whispered into her ear. And before Brooke could answer,she smiled and her heavy yes closed. "Brooke?" When she didn't answer Nick looked at the nurse. "Damn that's some fast stuff."

"Someone will be to see you in a few hours as soon as she is out."

"Thanks." Nick said and let out a sigh as Dr. Keller and Judy pushed Brooke's bed out of her room and up to the O.R.
~*~*~
It was five o'clock at night and Nick was sitting in a chair next to Brooke's bed in the recovery room. She had woken up three times since the surgery but only for a few minutes at a time. Nick was flipping through his sixth magazine he found when he heard his name.

"Nick?" Brooke whispered.

"Welcome back sleepy head," Nick stood up and moved up to her bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Alright, a little drugged up still." She smiled. "What time is it?"

Nick looked at his watch, "A little after five."

"Wow, already? I had surgery at like nine thirty."

"Yeah they pumped you with some good stuff. But the doctor said everything went great. Most of your problem was scar tissue from all the times you sprained it. He fixed some tendons and cartilage and you have a few screws and pins in now." Brooke sat up a little to see what was on her leg and it was a cast that went up to her knee.

"Look who is finally awake," Don smiled coming in. "Everything went smooth Brooke, how is your pain level?"

"Actually not too bad."

"Well, here is a prescription for you for some pain killers. You'll want them for the next few days." He then went on explaining how they cleaned out her ankle and everything they repaired. "As soon as you're feeling up to it, you can go home. I've set up an appointment to see you at the clinic in two weeks. No walking on that foot! Do you need to be fit for crutches or do you still have a pair?"

"I have a pair at home," she told the Doctor. "So showering?"

"Plastic bag over the leg. In two weeks when we put you in a new cast, we'll give you a water proof one."

"Yay," she said sarcastically. "Could you ask a nurse to come in now, I think I'd get more rest at home."

"Sure thing,and don't worry I've talked to your head boss and they'll send you paper work to fill out in the mail. So you'll be all set for not working for a few weeks."

"Thanks Don," she smiled.

"Okay, nice meeting you Nick, take care of her. Make sure she stays off both feet for the next two days at least. She can be stubborn," the Doctor shook Nick's hand.

"Don't worry, she's in good hands." Nick smiled over and squeezed Brooke's hand. The doctor nodded and left.

"Nick could you help me get my clothes back on please? I'll have to wait for my shirt because this IV is still in me."

"Of course," Nick reached for the plastic bag that had Brooke's things and took out her shorts. He then pulled off the blanket that covered her one leg. Then carefully putting her casted leg through first, she then put in her left leg. Nick slid them up the rest of the way and buttoned the tops. "You alright?" Nick asked noticing her close her eyes.

"Yeah, that just took a lot out of me," she laughed lightly.

"Okay who is ready to get home?" A nurse came in with a clipboard.

"Me!" Brooke raised her hand.

"Just sign here please," she handed Brooke a pen and the clipboard. "And here are some instructions and prescription for your pain pills. I'll just take out this IV," she smiled and began working on the IV. Nick watched as the nurse pulled out the IV from Brooke's arm and had to close his eyes for a minute.

"Are you going to be okay Nick?" Brooke asked with a smirk on her face.

"Yup," he swallowed hard.

"There we go, now, let's get your shirt on. Do you need help dear?"

"I'll be alright thanks."

"Okay, well you can take this wheel chair right there and have a speedy recovery."

"Thanks." Brooke said and Nick pulled out her shirt from the bag. When the nurse left, Nick helped Brooke put on her shirt.

"Let's do this slow, alright?" Nick asked her pushing the chair next to the bed. He raised up the right foot rest so it was out straight.

"I hate feeling this weak," Brooke pushed herself up right.

"Don't worry about it, I'm going to take you back to your place tonight and stay with you. So you'll have your things."

"Did you talk to Reanne?"

"Yeah, I went home and showered like you told me to. And she was there with A.J. They all give you their best. Alright put your arm around my neck." Brooke did as Nick asked and Nick slid his arm under her legs gently picking her up. He then set her down, placing her leg down as slow as possible. "Good?" Nick asked and Brooke nodded.

Nick pushed her out to the exit and had her 'sit tight' while he pulled the car up. A nurse than pushed Brooke out and Nick got out and opened is passenger door.

"Probably not the best car for this," Nick made a face as he looked up at his large SUV.

"It's fine Nick," Brooke put her left foot on the ground and with Nick's help stood up on one foot. "I can probably get up easier without you," she held Nick's arms and she hopped on one foot closer to the car. She reached for the handle on the side, and pulled herself up hopping off her good leg. Nick guided her broken leg up, making sure it didn't hit anywhere.

"Impressive," he said and closed the door. He got in himself and she gave directions to her house. Nick occasionally glanced over to her once in a while and for the most part, the twenty minute ride was quiet. "Are you hungry at all?" Nick asked.

"A little, not really though. Maybe we could just order a pizza," she shrugged as Nick opened her door.

"Do you want me to go get your crutches? I know you like to be independent," he asked.

"Honestly, I don't think I'd make it very far. Here you want to open the door first," she took out her key from her purse. Nick took it and opened the front door,then returned to get Brooke. She put her hands on his shoulders, and he picked her up. "Nick, thank you for everything. You don't have to stay tonight, I mean you're here for work and I've taken care of myself before with a bum ankle."

"First of all," he carried her into the living room and set her on the couh. "I want to be here. Second, yeah I'm here for work but I didn't have anything I needed to do today and third, you never had to take care of yourself just coming out of surgery." He kissed the top of her head and went to shut the front door. When he returned he sat next to Brooke on the couch.

Brooke had turned the TV on flipped it to a re-run of Kings and Queens. "What's wrong?" Nick asked.

"I'm just kind of tired," she propped herself up a little, scrunching her face.

"And you're in pain," Nick stood up.

"No I'm fine, it's okay."

"Whatever Brooke," Nick smiled and disappeard. A few minutes later he returned with two pillows from her room, a glass of water and a pain killer. He first put a pillow behind her back and then gently picked her leg up and set it ontop of the other pillow. After she took her pill Nick sat on the floor next to her. Brooke turned a little on her side, letting her arm drop down and took Nick's hand into hers.

"If I happen to pass out on you, I'm sorry. Feel free to eat or drink anything you can find. I think I actually have a frozen pizza in the freezer. It might be a health pizza but it's good. Or you can use the phone book in the kitchen to order one."

"I'm all set right now, get some rest." He picked her hand up to his lips and gave it a soft kiss. Within twenty minutes and she was asleep. Nick used this as an opportunity to make himself something to eat and call the guys.

"Hey Nick how's Brooke?" Brian asked answering his phone.

"She's home now, asleep. She's on all sorts of pain medicine and the surgery took a lot out of her. The doctor said everything went smooth though."

"That's great. Sucks that she's in a cast though this time of year. Hot."

"Yeah but she doesn't seem to let things like this bother her. It's kinda amazing."

"Are you staying with her tonight then?"

"Yeah, she's too weak to do much on her own and I know she's too stubborn to aske for help. I know we have a meeting tomorrow at eleven right?"

"Yeah, it shouldn't last too long. Look, it's totally fine if you want her to come here tomorrow. Leigh will be here with Bailey."

"I'll ask her in the morning, thanks. So I did some thinking while she was in surgery Bri and I want to ask your opinion on something."

"Sure thing, what's up?"

"I want to look for a house while I'm down here. Something kinda small but on the beach."

"Okay, I know this has always been your real home. So what can I help you with?"

"I just want to know if it's too rash because I don't want Brooke thinking-"

"That you're doing this all for her?"

"Yeah."

"You have feelings for her?" There was a moment of quietness.

"I care for her yeah. We just sorta clicked and yeah I think they're deeper than just as friends. It's kinda scary though because I really feel like this could be something special."

"Honestly Nick, I think so too. I think Brooke is really good for you and you're good for her. You two complete each other it seems,I mean I know it's been only a couple weeks of knowing each other but-"

"I know what you're saying. So you you think it's a good idea we try things?"

"I think it's a good idea for you to keep doing what you're doing Nick. Trust your heart."

"I'm trying. Alright I'm going to let you go. I'll be home by nine tomorrow morning."

"Okay Nick. See you tomorow."

"Later," Nick hung up the phone and took out the frozen pizza for dinner.
~*~*~
The next day Brooke woke up to Nick moving around her bedroom. He had spent the night, insisting to take care of her and she actually felt better having him there.
"Good morning," Nick smiled pulling his hat over his head and walking to the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Not great," she said groggily and pulled herself sitting up. Nick sat the edge of the bed and rubbed her shoulder gently.

"Let me get you your pain medicine," he said about to stand up.

"No, it makes me feel sick. I have to pee though can you hand me my crutches please?" Nick nodded his head and took the crutches from leaning against her night stand. "Thanks, you have to go soon don't you?" She asked glancing at her clock and standing up slowly.

"Yeah, hey go slow," Nick cautioned her putting his hands on her waist, as he noticed her wincing. He then guided her to the bathroom and waiting outside while she finished up. He heard the water turn on and then go off. When Brooke didn't come right out Nick knocked on the door. "You need any help?" He asked.

"I'm just brushing my teeth," she replied.

"Okay, I'm going to give Brian a call. I'll be right here in the room." Nick sat down in her chair in the room and called Brian to let him know he was heading there soon. Brooke opened the door and leaned against the frame. Nick had just hung up the phone and saw as Brooke's body went limp against the door. He stood up and briskly walked up to her.

"Nick I can't stand," she said weakly and her crutches dropped to the ground. Nick watched her face turn white and he put her arm around his neck and picked her up.

"You're alright," he said soothingly and lay her on the bed. Propping her leg up onto a pillow he felt her forehead. "You're sweating," Nick pushed back her damp hair.

"This sometimes happens with people who have surgery, I'm feeling better already."

"I don't want to leave you alone today so I'm going to bring you to the beach house and Leigh will be there to keep an eye on you."

"Nick that's not necessary. I'll just stay in bed today. And I can call Reanne later."

"Brooke, you could barely go to the bathroom. Please, I'd feel better being away from you for six hours." Nick's voice was full of sincerity.

"Oh, alright. Pull out some clothes for me please." She pointed to her dresser and told Nick what she wanted to wear. After getting dress, she stood up on one leg and put the crutches under arms. Her head became light again and the color from her face began to drain. "This isn't going to happen, I can't even lift my hip up to keep my leg off the ground," she leaned into Nick's chest. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

"Okay Brooke, okay." He helped her back into bed and got her comfortable. "Let me make a call and get you some breakfast." With her eyes closed from exhaustion, she nodded her head. He took his phone out and went to the kitchen. "Hey Bri it's me again."

"Nick what's up? You almost here?"

"I can't leave her or get her there. Every time she's on her feet she almost passes out."

"Does she need to go to the hospital?"

"No, she should be better tomorrow, she had a major surgery."

"We really need you at this meeting Nick, hold on," Brian told him and there was a pause. Nick in the mean while looked in the refriderator to find something to eat for Brooke. He pulled out a yogurt and a banana. "Alright, give me the directions to her place. Leigh is going to come over with Bailey, I'll drop her off and pick you up."

"Thanks Brian, and thank Leigh for me."

"No problem," Brian listened to Nick as he was given the directions to Brooke's house. Nick then went up to Brooke's room and saw that her eyes were still closed. He sat on the bed and put the yogurt and banana on her night stand. Her eyes fluttered opened and smiled when she saw Nick.

"You're going to be late," she told him.

"Leigh is on her way, she's going to hang out here for the day. That alright?"

"Nick, I-"

"Shh, I want you to just rest. You and I will watch a movie tonight." He smiled down at her. "If you're hungry, you have a yogurt and banana on your nightstand." He squeezed her hand.

"Thank you for everything Nick," she took his hand, her fingers intertwined with his. "I'm glad you're back in my life." She pulled him down to her a little.

"I'm glad you're back in my life," he told her leaning in. She reached up and put her hand behind his head, she gently pulled him down, his lips inches from hers. She looked deeply into Nick's eyes, reading his emotions and thoughts. He then closed his eyes and pressed his lips into her, giving her a soft kiss. When their lips parted, they were both smiling.

Ch. 14
"Nick she's fine, she had a little lunch and is sleeping again," Leigh Anne told Nick playing Go Fish with Bailey in the living room.

"Okay we should be able to get out of here in a couple more hours. I'll have my-"

"Cell phone on and if anything happens, I'll call you. You told me that the last time you called an hour ago."

"Sorry, I just, I don't know, I'm being over protective."

"I get it Nick. But I promise, I will call you. It's just a broken ankle."

"I know, thanks."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
"You want to stay for dinner?" Nick asked Brian climbing out of the rental vehicle with a bag of groceries they had picked up on their way home.

"I'll see what Leigh wants to do and how cranky Bailey is,"Brian told him walking up to the door. They went inside and Nick put the bag on the counter and went into the living room.

"DADDY!" Bailey yelled jumping off the couch from watching cartoons and into Brian's arms.

"Hey Bailey buns, have a good day with Mommy?" Bailey nodded his head and Brian walked over to Leigh and gave her a kiss.

"I think he wants to get outside and play, we didn't get to today and just hung around," Leigh told him.

"Is she still in her room?" Nick asked picking up Bailey who had now ran up to him.

"Yeah, we were going to move her to the living room but she got dizzy just to use the bathroom. She's awake now."

"I think I'll take Bailey and Leigh out to dinner to that restaurant by the ocean so Bailey can play outside." Brian told Nick.

"Sounds good, thank you Leigh." Nick pulled her in for a hug. Leigh and Bailey went and said goodbye to Brooke while Nick started boiling water to make pasta for dinner. He then went in with a teddy bear in hands.

"Hey you," Nick smiled walking up to her bed. She was sitting up and reading a book.

"Hi," she said softly. Nick then handed her the fluffy white animal and kissed her cheek. "Aww thanks Nick."

"How are you feeling?"

"Better actually, as long as I'm not moving around."

"Well, I am making dinner for you and I rented a movie to watch."

"You're sweet," she said. "How did your meetings go?"

"Boring, I don't even know what they were about." Nick laughed and Brooke shook her head.

"Yeah not much better here though, kinda boring." Brooke shrugged her shoulders.

"I'll have to make sure you're not bored any longer." Nick wiggled his eye brows and placed a kiss on her lips.

"Get out of here," Brooke joked and pushed Nick away playfully.

"I'm going to go make dinner, can I get you anything?"

"Umm, I could use a change of scenary. I think I'll come out to the living room." She put her book down and sat up more. Nick got her crutches and watched as she had to pick her leg up using her hands and move it over the edge of the bed. "I'm not usually this weak," she told him with guilt.

"Hey I know you, you're an athletic and competitive person. But it's okay to ask for help when you need it." He handed her the crutches and pulled herself up from the bed. "Go slow," he told her.

"No I was planning on speed walking," she teased back. "Ugh I don't know why I'm still getting so light headed when I stand though." Her head dropped down for a minute, all of her weight went onto her arms.

"Should we call your doctor?" Nick asked with concern and he had a hand on the small of her back.

Brooke shook her head no. "Tomorrow if it doesn't stop I will." She took a few steps forward, keeping her neon green cast off the ground and then stopped. "Hey Nick?"

"Yeah?" He smirked knowing what she was going to say. He watched as she hesitated and shifted her weight on the crutches.

"I need help," she looked up to him.

"You want me to carry you or what?"

"I don't know? Maybe I need to move around more, maybe that's my problem?"

"The doctor said to keep you off your feet for a full two days, three if I could get you to listen. Don't push yet because I know you will when it comes to physical therapy." He moved to face her, put an arm around her waist and took the crutches. He set them against the wall and gently picked her up into his arms.

"You're kinda great, you know that?" She asked looking into his eyes. Nick smiled and kissed her. "Oh and Nick?"

"Hmm?"

"Give me another day and I'll be ready to go on that date."


"You heard me?"

"Yeah, I just forgot about it until now."

"I'll take you on the best date of your life." He told her carrying her out to the living room.

"I don't know, I once had a date on horse back, and that was pretty sweet."

"Trust me, I can be quite the romantic," Nick smirked setting her down and getting her comfortable.

"Yeah when you want something I'm sure," she winked.

"You have no faith in me!" Nick pouted standing up.

"I've heard the Nick Carter rummors!"

"Rummors, that's all they are," Nick defended himself.

"Nick?"

"Okay most of them are." He stated and Brooke laughed shaking her head. "I'm going to go make dinner," he rolled his eyes and walked out.

"You do that," she said still laughing and flipped on the TV.