- Text Size +
From Montreal to Ottawa is only a two-hour bus ride.  It was the longest two hours of Melody’s life.  She didn’t want to be with people, but what could she do?  She could hardly hide in her bunk.  It was ten o’clock in the morning!  She buried her head in a crossword puzzle, but every clue seemed to have a double meaning. 

Nick picked up his guitar and played Who Needs the World?  He was almost at the end when it filtered through to Melody’s brain that he was playing it perfectly.  Melody looked up.  He was playing it with his eyes closed.

“Now, sing,” she whispered when he finished.  She knew it would be the end of her, but he was ready.

“Really?”

“Yes, but don’t forget that the music comes first.  You can’t stop playing just because you want to put some emotion or whatever into the words.  If you’re the only guy playing, that would be impossible, right?  So, if you do that when you have a backup band, it makes people think you’re not really playing.”

Nick nodded and started singing the song.  He had to stop several times.  But he kept at it.

They arrived at the Corel Centre in Ottawa.  In the flurry of getting everything unloaded and set up, Nick kept his distance from Mel, but he never took his eyes off her.  He watched her interact with various men and wondered each time, if that was the one.  Toby had hinted broadly in the past about Mel and Scott Thornton.  Nick kept a special eye on him.

Melody decided to torture Nick.  She seemed to have completely forgotten that this whole thing was her idea in the first place.  She had talked herself into believing that it was right, though.  It was hormones.  She hadn’t had sex in a long time, and Nick was a very sexy guy.  But giving in to her urges would compromise the tour, even if neither of them wanted it to.  So she was just going to get it somewhere else and move on with her life.  Nick would have his time with Tamara in Toronto, and they could get back on track.  And they were damn sure never getting in the same elevator again!!

So Melody wandered from man to man, talking about equipment or songs or the weather, whatever came into her head.  She laid her hand on their arm, smoothed their hair off their face, offered them drinks of water.  She threw her head back and gave a sexy laugh when they said something amusing. She gave Scott Thornton a backrub that made him think he’d never be able to stand up from the console.

Nick watched it all through pinched lips.  He couldn’t believe he’d gotten into this situation.  He’d called her to his room to make love to her, and somehow, it ended up that he told her she had to go sleep with someone else. 

The media arrived, and Nick tried to do his interviews and pay attention to the questions while keeping an eye on Mel.  Even though it was none of his business who it was going to be, he just somehow had to know.  And when he saw Mel slip a folded piece of yellow paper to Scott, he guessed he knew. 

Scott read the note and raised his eyebrows at her.  Mel smiled at him and nodded and then walked away.  Scott stuffed the note in his pocket and then looked around the room, checking to see if anyone had been paying attention.  When he looked at Nick, Nick was looking the other way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He stood in the hallway, looking at the crumpled-up yellow paper in his hand.  He wondered what the hell was going on.  The note was crumpled up because he’d opened and closed it a dozen times, trying to make sense of it.

Mel opened the door at his knock.

He gave a small smile.  “You wanted to see me?”

She nodded and motioned him into her room.  She wondered if she could really go through with this.  He perched on the edge of the armchair and waited for her to begin.  She offered him a soft drink, water, beer.  No, he was good, thanks.

There was a long pause.  Then she took a deep breath.  “I was wondering if you could do me a favor.  I was wondering if you would…”  Aw crap!  She couldn’t do this.

“Yes?”

“I was wondering if you would have sex with me.”  There!  It was out!  She’d said it.  She couldn’t take it back now.

He rose to his feet.  “Say again.”

Her shoulders slumped.  “Do I have to?” 

“No, it’s okay.  I think I heard right.  You want me to have sex with you.”

“Yes, please.  But only for tonight.  Just recreational.”

He gave that some thought.  Then, “do you mind me asking you why?”

She didn’t say anything for a full minute.  Finally, she said, “So I can get over my Nick jones.”

He chuckled.  “Melody Jones has a Nick jones?”

“Yes, yes she does,” said Melody with a sigh.  “It would just be one time.  No one would ever know.  Just tonight…”  She wanted to flee from the room.  She took a step toward the door. 

He stopped her with a hand.  “Do you want it to be a little dirty?”

She took a deep breath and grinned at him.  “A little dirty would be good.”

He pulled her hand toward him and placed it on his crotch.  She could feel his interest.  She rubbed his erection and stepped toward him.

“Are you sure?” he asked, cupping her chin in his hand.  “Melody, are you sure?”

She looked into his crystal-blue eyes.  “Yes, Nick, I’m sure.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She lay with her head on his arm, her fingers playing with his nipple ring.  He lay on his back with his eyes closed.  They waited for their breathing to get back to normal and some kind of rational thought to return.  The only thought that Melody was able to process was that she would never, never think of Nick again as ‘the kid’.

Nick hadn’t hesitated, when she said, ‘I’m sure’, but had picked her up in his arms and carried her to the bed.  He lay down beside her and then kissed her.  It was hot and slow and deep, and it went on forever.  His fingers traced over her skin and undid buttons and snaps and zippers.  She kissed him back and did the same.

It is awkward for two people to lie horizontally and get undressed.  There has to be a moment where they separate to get a t-shirt off over a head, or socks and shoes off.  Jeans can be especially tricky.  Mel couldn’t figure out for the life of her why that hadn’t happened here.  There was just this haze of bliss…of kissing and touching…and then, they were naked.  They couldn’t take their mouths away from each other, and they couldn’t keep their fingers still. 

Nick stroked her and caressed her.  She wrapped her hands around him and stroked him slowly.  She could feel the pulse of his heartbeat in her fingertips.  When he felt her get close, Nick took his mouth from hers and put it on her breast.  He sucked her gently for a moment, and then he flicked his tongue roughly over her nipple.  Melody moaned and writhed under him.  He used the same rhythm with his tongue as he was with his hand, and moments later, Melody went over the edge and tumbled into the abyss.

Nick didn’t give her a moment to recover but moved his mouth to her neck and her collarbones and then back to her breasts.  His hands traced lines up and down her thighs and across her stomach.  Her caresses were getting him closer than he wanted so he removed her hands from him and shifted his weight sideways.  Melody transferred her attention to his back and arms and neck and…oh, why were people only born with two hands?!  She traced her fingers over his tattoos and then did the same with her tongue.

Nick’s soft mouth on her upper body and his skilful manipulation of the lower half pushed her over the edge one more time, before he would allow himself to let go.  But Mel’s whispered, “Please, Nick, please…” was more than he could handle.  He positioned himself over her and gently pushed himself into her.  She threw her head back on the pillow and moaned. 

Then they looked into each other’s eyes as he entered her slowly, so slowly that she wanted to slap him for torturing her.  But then he said, “you’re so small” in a tiny whisper, and she knew he was afraid he would hurt her.  She wrapped her legs around him and dug her heels into his buttocks, pressing him forward.  She shoved her hips upward and took him into her.  She started to tremble with the thrill of having him in her, filling her body, touching her soul with those eyes that stared into the very centre of her.

Nick knew he was close.  He wondered if he could make this last forever, if he didn’t move.  Because he wanted this to last forever.  He wanted to look into those brown eyes and be part of this woman.  Mel licked her lips and nodded at him, and he knew he could only please her now by pleasing himself, by hurtling into the abyss after her.  So he moved…slowly and gently, he moved in and out of her, and only when he was absolutely certain that he was not hurting her, did he pick up the pace and the intensity.  He came with a shudder and a roaring in his ears that he hoped wasn’t his own voice.  Melody trembled and shook and dug her fingernails into his back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

With a tiny sigh, Nick opened his eyes.  Melody looked up at his face from her nest in the crook of his arm and sighed as well.  Then she trailed her fingertips lightly down his chest and across his stomach.  He covered her hand with his, stilling it.

“Am I tickling you?” she asked lazily, her voice still husky with passion.

“No,” he answered softly, “It’s just…you know…my stomach…I’m not…”

Melody looked up at him, shaking her head.  “Don’t be silly,” she said.  “You are who you are.”  And she shifted his hand off hers and continued caressing the rounded flesh of his tummy.

“Well, what I’d like to be is one of those guys with the six-pack abs and hard stomachs.”

Melody raised herself up on one elbow and looked into his eyes.  “Yeah, well what I’d like to be is 5’9”,” she laughed.  “But to quote a friend of mine, ‘you can’t always get what you want’.”

Nick smiled at her and picked up the line.  “…but if you try sometimes, you just might find…”

They finished it together.  “…you get what you need.”

Melody laughed and put her head back down on his arm. 

Nick spoke so softly, she almost didn’t hear him.  “Did you get what you need, Mel?”

Did she get what she needed?  What Melody thought she needed was to get this man out of her head, to be able to process some other mental image than his mouth or his hands.  Had she done that?  She wasn’t sure.  But she also didn’t think that was what he was really asking.  She smiled up at him and nodded her head.

“But it wasn’t very dirty,” she said, taking his nipple ring in her teeth and tugging on it gently.  He made a small sound and cupped her breast in his hand, rolling the nipple between his thumb and forefinger.  “It was exquisite,” she murmured, “but not very dirty.”

Nick rolled her onto her back and raised himself up on one elbow.  “Well, maybe next time, it can be a little dirty,” he said.

“There is no next time,” replied Melody. “We agreed, we would only do this once.  Just one time.”

“Just one night,” Nick corrected her.  “You said ‘just one night’.”

They stared at each other for a moment.  Melody opened her mouth to protest, but there was no point.  Nick covered her mouth with his own, and then they were making love again.

When they were done this time, he turned her away from him and cradled her in his arms from behind.

“Still not very dirty,” he whispered in her ear.

“Still exquisite,” she responded.

They lay there together for a few minutes.  Melody could feel herself falling sleep.  “You have to go,” she managed to murmur.

“In a minute,” he whispered, kissing her shoulder.

A few minutes later, Melody felt him stir.  He eased himself out of bed.  She could hear him getting dressed.  She wasn’t sure if she should turn over and talk to him or stay where she was.  She was sliding down into sleep and had lost the power to move, so she stayed where she was. 

“Goodnight,” she heard a soft voice.

“’Night,” she murmured.  “And Nick…don’t forget what this was…” and then she drifted away.

Nick smiled down at her.  “I won’t,” he said, but he didn’t think she heard him.  He eased himself out the door, checking the hallway first to make sure it was empty.  He tiptoed up the hall, his shoes in his hand, and entered his own room.  He dropped the shoes and stripped off his clothes as he made his way to the bed.  He fell into it naked and was almost immediately asleep, cradling one of the pillows in his arms.