- Text Size +
Jeff Blackwell hung up the phone.  Yeah, talk to you later, Rafe. 

Jeff smiled to himself.  Two can play at this game, Mr. Ariando…Sir!

Jeff had originally agreed to report to Rafe on the sly because Rafe made him think that Nick was going to be a problem, security-wise...that he was going to be a drinking, womanizing party animal that would take all of Jeff's strength and energy to corral.  Rafe painted a picture of a caged tiger who, if let loose, would ravage the countryside tearing people...make that bartenders and women...limb from limb. 

Rafe cunningly suggested that Jeff keep him up to date on Nick's antics so that Rafe could have the lawyers handy if, or when, Nick stepped out of line.

It took a few months...well, all of Europe and part of the U.S. tour...before Jeff realized that Rafe was using him to spy on the backstage antics of all the musicians.  And the Spaniard seemed particularly focused on Nick's interest...or lack thereof...in Mel.  Jeff didn't understand it all...and he didn't care.  It pissed him off that Rafe had used him that way...even though he was being well-paid for it.

Then Jeff saw Nick and Mel come together.  They didn’t really want to, but there was an attraction there…something happened in Rome…Jeff didn’t know what…  But the music just wrapped around them and brought them together.  And then hurled them apart. 

Jeff didn’t know what happened between Ottawa and Toronto, but he figured Rafe had something to do with it.  And he would be damned if he would be nothing more than a gossip-monger reporting on the love life of the blond singer he was hired to protect.

Because Nick was not a party animal…he was a teddy bear.  He didn’t drink himself into the ground…except for that night in Rome…Jeff shuddered at the memory...  He was a nice kid, who was turning into a nicer man…and he was a man that Jeff thought might be falling in love with a tiny, perfect guitarist.  Jeff was determined that Rafael Ariando would be the last person on Earth to find out about it.

Jeff thought about Mel.  He figured he was half in love with her himself.  They all were.  She was the perfect woman.  She didn’t nag or scold.  She had a great sense of humor and entered into all the joking around…even if it got a little dirty.  She was one of the guys, but she wasn’t just one of the guys.  She was a good listener.  There had been many times where she had set aside her crossword puzzle to listen intently while someone talked over a problem.  She didn’t offer solutions, just a good ear…and a hug.  She had an uncanny knack for knowing when someone needed a hug, and she handed them out liberally.  Of course, not to Nick…not lately.

There was nothing sexual in her hugs.  They were ‘buddy hugs’.  Jeff would watch her go up to a crew member and say ‘how’s it going?’  They’d chat for a minute or two, and then she’d lay on the hug.  The depth of need that the man had for the hug was evident in whether or not he lifted her off the floor.  Jeff thought that was funny.  Every time someone came back stage…her rocker friends…they just scooped her up…and usually twirled her around before they set her back down.  She didn’t seem to mind though.

And eat…man, could she eat!  Jeff had never seen anything like it.  She could eat as much as any of the guys.  She ate healthy…lots of salad and fruit…Jeff couldn’t recall ever seeing her eat French fries. But she always had dessert…and coffee, of course.  She didn’t like those frou-frou coffees like fluffy-mocha-crème-cappuccino crap.  She preferred the real stuff – 100% Columbian, and could I have it in a mug, please! 

Jeff sighed.  Jason Simon’s arrival on the scene had thrown Nick for a loop.  Tofu and Gus had done the elaborate stunt to prove to him that Rafe was not an issue in Mel’s life, and almost immediately, Nick had replaced him with another candidate. 

Jeff wondered why the two didn’t just talk.  When they were out the night before, at the club, there was so much going on.  Jeff wanted to stand up and wave his arms and say, “Excuse me…over here…you, Mr. Simons… sorry, your timing sucks…better luck next time.  You two, yeah you…the Smoldering Glance and the Burning Desire…would you please pick up your things and head to the nearest bed.”

He hadn’t, of course.  But he decided that he was going to find as many opportunities as possible to let them be together…alone.  Of course, that meant killing Toby, but what the hell…?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nick didn’t see Mel at all on Saturday.  She was off to the wedding before he was even awake.  Toby reported that she looked very nice – she wore the navy pinstripe pant suit with a sheer blouse.  Nick remembered the outfit from the night in New York where he sang at the club.  Gus said he wished he’d had more notice.  He would have found her something more suitable.  Toby replied that Jason hadn’t looked all that unhappy at her choice of outfit.

Nick went to the launch party with the rest of the guys.  They were all under strict orders to be at the buses by midnight. 

“You hear that, Tofu,” said Blaine.  “You won’t have time for a fourth one.”

They all laughed but were startled when Tofu said with a sigh, “You know, maybe I won’t bother tonight.  It’s all getting to be just…I don’t know…too much.”  He lowered his head.

“You’re kidding?” said Rashad.  They all exchanged a glance.

Tofu looked up.  “Hell, yeah!  Bring on the ladies!”  He flashed them all a beaming grin.  They shook their heads and were glad they were not him. 

Toby had arranged a car to take them all to the party.  It would also bring Nick and Jeff back and anyone else who was ready at the same time.  If you were going to be earlier or later…get a cab!
The party was in a different hotel than the one they’d stayed at.  The record company had booked one of the ballrooms. 

There were a lot of people there.  This was a big event in the Seattle music world.  And either there were a lot of people in from out of town or the band musicians really got around, because they seemed to know a lot of people there.  Nick moved through the party, talking to people he knew, accepting compliments and congratulations on his album and his tour…he was surprised at how many of them said they had been at the concert the night before.  Women came onto him.  He was polite and friendly and aloof. 

…until he’d had his fourth drink and someone mentioned Mel…said they were surprised that she wasn’t at the party with the rest of the band.

“She went to a wedding,” said Nick.  “With Jason Simons.  A cousin of his is getting married.” 

“Ohhh,” was the answer to that.  The raised eyebrows said a lot.  “I thought they split a few months ago.”

“They did,” insisted Nick.  “They just ran into each other here, and he invited her.  It was just a coincidence.”

The woman…Jennifer something…laughed.  “Jase Simons doesn’t believe in coincidence.  I’ll bet he’s going to try again.  Did he bring the dog?”

Nick’s brain was whirling.  “I’m sorry, what?” 

“The dog.  Mel was a sucker for that dog.”

Nick just shrugged and changed the subject.  He complimented Jenny Whoever’s eyes.  She smiled and flirted back.  Five minutes of conversation brought out the information that she had a room in this hotel.  Two minutes more conversation led her to decline Nick’s offer of another drink and invite him upstairs.  Three seconds hesitation was followed by his acceptance.

On the way up in the elevator, Nick tried to convince himself that this was a righteous move.  Mel had said they had to get each other of their system.  That hadn’t worked in Ottawa.  It had got her so firmly into his head that he could barely think of anything else.  This would tell him one way or the other.  Either he could do it, or he couldn’t.  And if he could, then…problem solved.  And if he couldn’t…

Nick told himself that this was all Mel’s idea.  And that she was probably doing the same thing right now with Jason Simons.

He believed himself right up to the point that they were naked and horizontal, and then he knew that he did not want to be here doing this.  Jennifer Something used her hands and her mouth skillfully, and Nick’s body responded.  But his heart and his head weren’t in it.  He felt like crying.

He didn’t want to cause a scene, which he thought might happen if he said, “Excuse me, but I think I’ll just be running along.  I’ve changed my mind.”  So he performed his duty, made sure she came and then finished as quickly as he could, closing his eyes and picturing Mel.  He pressed his lips tightly together at his climax, so that he wouldn’t say her name.  He didn’t linger for pillow talk, but cited the need to get to the bus on time and threw on his clothes.  He went down to the lobby where a disapproving Jeff was waiting for him.

They rode in silence to the bus.  Once there, Nick answered Toby’s “how was the party?” with a curt “Fine” and disappeared into his room at the back.  He tore off his clothes and fell into the bed. 

Toby imparted the information that Mel hadn’t returned yet, but that it was only 11:30, so she wasn’t really late.  The others guys were back on the other bus, and it had departed twenty minutes earlier.

“We’re a little early too,” said Jeff.  “She’s still got time.”

At 11:45, Nick heard a car pull up.  He raised his head and peered around the edge of the window shade.  It was Jason and Mel.  They sat in the car for a few minutes.  Then they got out.  Jason leaned her up against the car and stroked her face.  Then he kissed her.  Mel ran her fingers down the side of his face and said something.  Then she kissed him.  She stepped away from the car and disappeared from Nick’s view.  Jason said something to her that Nick couldn’t hear.  Then he waggled his fingers in a goodbye wave and got into his car. 

Nick could hear her get on the bus.  The sound was muffled.  His door was closed, and they were all talking in hushed voices.  He could hear laughter and was willing to bet that Mel was describing the wedding.  He closed his eyes and could picture her hands moving through the air as she talked.  He really, really wanted to know what she had done in the hours following the wedding.  He decided that tomorrow he was going to ask her.  He wondered if he had the courage to go through with it.

The bus motor started up.  In a few minutes, he could feel it move.  He knew the rhythm of the bus would have him asleep shortly…and that he probably wouldn’t cry for more than a few minutes.  But right now, the tears were falling.  He pulled a pillow over his head and cried himself to sleep.