- Text Size +
TWO DAYS LATER (arriving at the event)

“You didn’t tell me Simple Plan was going to be here!” I said entering the dugout entrance to see Johnny there. He gave me a huge hug, one I hadn’t been accompanied to since I last saw them all.
“Last minute change…”

“DO I HEAR HER?” Leighanne and Kristin said simultaneously coming out. “AHH!” They said again running to me and about tackling me.

“It’s been so long, Mary!” Leighanne said.
“Since your guys’ weddings, I know! I’m so sorry; my tour lasted a year and some days! I’ve been really busy!” I hugged them again tears coming out a little.

“Well we missed you a lot! You’ve gotten so grown up!” Kristin said checking me out. I laughed. Brian, Nick, Kevin, and Howie all came out. They were all just as shocked. Howie was the only one I still talked to on the phone about once a month. But I hadn’t seen him since the weddings. I hugged them all and gave them kisses and such. They told me AJ didn’t want to come out and my heart sunk. They told me where he was and I went to go find him. I opened the door to see him sitting on the couch; he looked at me and stood up. He put his hands in his pockets.

“You didn’t want to see me?” I asked walking to him. Those six words were the most I’ve said to him in so long…He choked up a bit.
“I didn’t know if you wanted to see me was the problem.”
“I don’t hate you…I needed time AJ.” He put his head down.
“Three years worth…” He said slowly with his head still down. “You moved on without a skip of a heartbeat, I dated one girl in 3 years for like 3 months. You dated one guy, for nearly 2 years. I wasn’t anything to you anymore.” He said getting angry with me. I got closer, leaving the gap between us at a foot.
“I wanted to forget you, everything you did to us, to me. It wasn’t worth crying over anymore, but I thought of you every day I was with another guy.” He teared up. He wore eyeliner now and it was running. I wiped it away to fix it. “Stop…” I hugged him. It took him a second but he slowly wrapped his arms around me and held me close and tight. It felt good to feel him again. I took a deep breath in and out. “I missed you, more than anything in my life, I missed you.” I couldn’t believe how strong I was to face him. To not cry…
“I missed you too. You were my life, my all. When you left, I had nothing. I got into drugs.” I hadn’t heard that.
“You did what?”
“I did cocaine.” He looked at me. My eyes must have been bugged out of my head.
“Why? Why would you do that?” I asked him holding his arms in my hands.
“It helped me forget about you sometimes.” That’s when I cried. He wiped mine away this time.
“I’m so sorry, I’m so, so sorry.” I hugged him again and kissed his cheek. “But I’m so happy you’re clean and safe and happy now. You look so good…” I said releasing him. I touched his new tattoos.
“I don’t look half as good as you though.” He had me do a spin. “You’ve gotten so grown up.”
“That’s what everyone is telling me.” He smiled at me. It was a smile I needed to see. It made me feel good. We walked out together, arm in arm. Everyone looked at us and clapped, for no reason. I told them all to shut up. This caused a riot in laughter.

“Mary, will you sing the national anthem, no one knows your here and since you gathered the largest crowd here in Chicago when you came here, it’d be good for you.” Johnny said, Lisa nodded. I agreed and stepped out on the field. Screams, and claps and everything were going on around me. I faced the crowds of people waiting to see Simple Plan and The Backstreet Boys come out.

“Hi everyone!” I said to them into the microphone. They greeted me back with a hi. “Today, I am here to sing the National Anthem for you…First can we get the teams out on the field on cue? Simple Plan, please take to the right of me!” They came out from their dugout and everyone who was there for them clapped and cheered them on. “Now, for those who love this next team, I am here to tell you it’s been 3 years since I’ve seen this boy band, and boy have I missed them! If you don’t know I used to date AJ.” Girls went crazy! Whether it was hate or love, they knew me. “So without further a due, BACKSTREET BOYS TAKE TO THE LEFT OF ME!” The whole place freaked out as they came out together taking their bows and blowing kisses. AJ ran up to me and hugged me again and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I smiled at him and he went back to the others. I did my job and sang the national anthem for them all; it was good to do it. Everyone clapped and cheered as I left and everyone got off the field, Simple Plan took the field. The boys were up first to bat, and Kevin hit the plate first. I sat down next to Lisa and AJ sat down next to me. It was good to have him back, he truly was different. How he carried himself, everything. His smile was even different; it was more bright and vibrant than I remember it. He was talking to Brian on the other side of him and I took his hand in mine. He stopped and looked at our hands and then to me. He laughed and leaned in and gave me a kiss. It was the best thing that could have happened to me. Everyone wooed and awed at us kissing. We stopped and he put his forehead against mine and just smiled at me.

“Time to start over, eh?” I laughed and agreed. I couldn’t believe after 3 years of not speaking and suddenly seeing each other again got us to be together again. It’s strange how God does his deeds. We continued to hold hands until he had to go bat. Johnny walked up to me and asked me if I wanted a jersey and to participate.

“Is it really fair to give the boys such an amazing advantage?” Nick laughed. “You don’t think I can hit it better and farther than you, Nick?” He shook his head.
“No way.”
“You’re on!” Get me a jersey Johnny.” Johnny handed me one and I slid it on over my t-shirt. “Who’s gonna measure distance?”

“We can get someone I bet…” Soon before Nick and I knew it, the contest was announced over the intercom. It was soon time to take a break and do the little show. Each of us got to hit 3 times. Nick did his three first. All the boys were out on the field. AJ stood behind me with his hands on my hips rocking me back and forth. All of Nick’s reached really nice distances, one almost clearing the fence. It was then my turn. Nick and I did a little fake fight as he and I exchanged places that got the fans all riled up. Nick pounded fists with all the boys, Nick is 24 now and he is still a big kid. My first hit was nearly pathetic, only getting a little farther than Nick’s first hit, which was a little past second base. My second one blew people away getting closer to the fence. My third not only cleared the fence, it dominated out past it. I brushed off my shoulder and the announcer guy had a good time cracking jokes and stuff. I set the bat down and stuck my tongue out at Nick. I walked up to AJ and hugged and kissed him. He was happy to have me; I could see it on his face. He seemed more appreciative of having me. He picked up and spun me around a little. I held the back of his neck and brought him into me. I grabbed his pant loops and dragged him off the field, fans of his were furious he’d been single for a long time, and the fans who thought they could have him, probably wanted to kill me for coming back into his life.