- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry took so long.. here it goes. Let me know what you think of the story so far
The next morning she was woken up by the ringing of her phone. She saw that it was already half eleven in the morning. It was Brendan on the other line telling her that they need to meet up before tonight just to talk about how they’re going to approach this mission. She hung up after telling him that he could come over whenever. She took a shower and started cooking some food just in case he hasn’t eaten anything. An hour later she heard her doorbell rang and it was Brendan on the other side.

“So did you just wake up?” he asked walking in to her kitchen.

“Nah, when you called me I just woke up but that was a little over an hour ago” she took a beer bottle for him from the fridge. “So what are we talking about?”

He sat across from him on her kitchen island ready to hear whatever he has to say.

“Well first of all we have to talk about how we can make sure that no one would be able to see you” he looked pointedly at her. She knew what he meant even though he didn’t elaborate.

“Oh that’s ok I got that covered.” She answered but when she saw his confused look she explained more. “I decided to use that red scarf every time I have to do something like this. It’s easier coz I could hide it in my bag and use it whenever I really needed to”

“Ah, ok that’s good then. Now off to the serious stuff” they talked about the specifics about tonight. How are they gonna approach the situation or how they’re going to solve this mission without so much casualties afterwards. Before he left her they decided to meet up in the club at 8:45 tonight. She decided to clean her guns since it has been two weeks since she cleaned them. She took all of them from her hidden compartments including the one that she’s going to use tonight. She was in the middle of her cleaning when her doorbell rang again. She thought it was only a sales man so she didn’t bother hiding her weapons. She just took a piece of cloth and covered them. She was shocked however when she saw Justin outside her gate. She panicked a little thinking of her weapons lying around her living room but after a few seconds she calmed herself down and opened the gate.

“Hey Justin what are you doing here?” she asked calmly leading him inside the house.

“I just thought I’d check on what you’re doing and to invite you. Joey wanted to go to a club tonight so if you’re free will you be my date?” he asked hesitantly almost shyly.

“I’d love to really I would but I have a thing tonight so rain check?” she said.

“What thing?” he stopped walking and turned to face her when he asked.

“Oh, I have an appointment about a business I want to do and I have to talk to a person who could help me. I just don’t know how long it will last”

“Oh ok. Well if you finish early text me so I can tell you where to meet us. So what are you up to right now?” he continued walking to inside the house.

“Just cleaning. Do you want anything to drink?” she glanced at the covered weapons on her living room floor making sure that nothing is sticking out. She peered in to the fridge so she could give him something t drink.

“Cleaning what?” he was about to lift the cloth when he heard Gabby shout no behind him.

“Sorry, it’s private” she motioned for him to come to the kitchen before giving him his drink.

“So do you have any plans tomorrow?” he asked instead.

“Go to the groceries but other than that nothing much” she shrugged. She looked at him when she heard his phone ring and listened a little when he started talking although she tried not to listen.

“I got to go. That was Chris and he wanted to borrow something.”  He hung up and started to go but came back again just to drink the juice Gabby gave him then off he goes.

Gabby continued cleaning her guns as soon as Justin left. It was already a little after six in the evening. She ate something light for dinner because it can be really hard to move fast when you’re so full. So she just grabbed some salad and grilled chicken, she figured that should do it for tonight. After her dinner she started getting ready. She chose a black low rise leather pants with no distinguishing marks and a black tank top with no designs as well. She then grabs her plain black leather jacket that she can move easily to and the red scarf that she’d use to cover her head later on. She didn’t put the jacket on yet, instead she grabbed a small bag and she placed the scarf and the jacket inside. But she did put her small gun on the inner part of her ankle so that she has an easy access to it if needed. She closed the door, grabbed everything the she will need and put it in the small bag that she already have.

Instead of getting in to her car, she unlocks the small door that’s located on the far right corner of the garage. Inside of it is her bike. No one knows about her bike, it’s a blue 2008 Yamaha YZF-R1 with a matching blue helmet. It’s what she uses when she needs to be really fast. She opened the garage door and drove out in to the night as soon as she made sure the locks are in place.

She arrived at their meeting place five minutes before the agreed time. Which is a good thing because she wants to scope out the place where the exchange will take place and the area around it, noting all the exits and what can be advantage of her if she needs to escape quickly. Then she went back to where she and Brendan are supposed to meet to talk about where they’re going to position themselves for quick access to the merchandise. Brendan told her to position herself as close as she could get to the VIP table without arousing suspicions and he would stay in the background backing her up if the need arise.

By nine, the club is slowly filling up with people so she situated herself on the railing of the VIP area looking down below on the dance floor. She turned down a couple of invitation to dance from the guys that had the nerve to actually ask her. It was a little over nine thirty when the Lobregat group came in to the entrance and sat on a VIP table just behind her. Then not five minutes later the second group came in and also sat at the same VIP table behind her. After everyone got acquainted on the table and finished ordering their drink she turned around and pretended to look around but in reality she was counting how many people in both groups and then checked if there’s any other guard that’s standing by. After that, she turned around again looking down on the dance floor and spoke in to the tiny microphone that she attached to her right ear. Brendan gave it to her earlier so that they have communication.

“I counted six players sitting on the table and two unfriendly for each group. Two of them standing by the small bar under that blue poster side by side and the other two are standing in the railing as well like me. One each of my side” she said casually as if she’s singing the song playing in the speaker.

“Copy that. Can you see any opening?” Brendan asked her

“No but when I see one I’ll grab it so be ready” was the only thing she said and she heard Brendan acknowledge what she said. Something caught her eye on the dance floor and when she looked down, she was quite shock to see JC and his friends entering the club but Justin was nowhere in sight. She stepped back a little from the railing so that she’s not visible to anyone from the dance floor. Then from the corner of her eyes, she saw one of the guys from the Onyx group stood up from the table and started walking to the men’s room with a bag in hand.

“One of the ‘O’ player is moving, I will follow him take care of the others” she was already walking while she gave instruction to Brendan.

“Ok we’ll do a brush pass so I could give you your jacket and scarf” he started walking towards her and with just a blink of an eye she got her belongings without stopping. “Cover up Red and I’ll meet you at our rendezvous point in half an hour” he said on his microphone.

She rolled her eyes at the nickname that he used. Earlier, they talked about having a nickname so that no one can know who they are when they’re talking to and about each other. He thought the nickname ‘Red’ would suit her since it’s short and understandable because of her red scarf. But she thought it’s too obvious though in the end he was using it anyway.

“Copy that Blue” she answered back. She figures if she’ll be red he would be blue. On the way to the men’s bathroom she started putting on her leather jacket as she walks. She was thankful that the path was crowded and dark with only the neon signs visible and the flashes of light from the over head club light. She waited just behind the door of the men’s room for the guy and as soon as she spotted him coming out, she went to stand behind him pointing a small gun on his back.

“Don’t make any sudden movements” she whispered to his ear. “I could shoot you here right now without anyone noticing” the man stopped dead on his tracks and started to turn towards her when he heard her speak. She pressed the gun a little more to his back but she saw that he was turning. She still hasn’t covered her face because the crowd would start looking at her if she did and she doesn’t need attention right now.

“Don’t turn around and give me that bag on your hand” was the only thing she said. But the guy didn’t move. He stopped turning her way but he didn’t let go of the bag in his hand.

“Now!” He passed her the bag without turning and waited for the next thing the she will do. But after a minute, he realized she was gone so he took his radio from his belt and started shouting orders to the person on the other line.

As soon as Gabby took a hold of the bag with the weapon they were trading, she turned to the nearest exit on her left and started wrapping her head with the red scarf at the same time. As soon as she reached the outside of the exit door she shouldered the bag so that she could freely manoeuvre if needed. She started running to the car park to where she parked her bike. She just saw her bike from a distance when a gun shot rang across the car park. She stopped and turned around ready to shoot any enemies that she could see. She saw a guy stepping out beside an SUV and she didn’t waste anytime she just started firing then duck behind the nearest truck on her right with gunshots trailing behind her.

“Who ever you are, come out wherever you’re hiding and give me that bag you just took from one of my colleague” a man with a really deep voice shouted but she didn’t answer. She started looking around her for any escape routes she could use when she heard a guy protesting.

“If you don’t come out, I’ll blow this guys brain to the pavement” the man with the deep voice said again. After that it was quiet as if they’re waiting to what she’s going to do next. “I’m gonna count to three and if you don’t come out the next thing you’ll hear is gunshot. One…” he started. “Two…”

She came out of her hiding place with her hand raised and she already has a plan. She saw two guys standing side by side with the other one holding a hostage in front of him. She decided before she came out of her hiding that she’d do anything to escape with the bag even if an innocent gets killed but that train of thought stopped when she saw who the innocent is. It was Justin. She stopped dead in her tracks and for the first time in all of her mission she hesitated.

“Ok now throw that bag this way” he motioned in front of him. She looked at Justin and she could clearly see that he’s scared so she tossed the bag by the man’s foot.

“Now let him go” she said making sure that she dropped her English accent. “Blue, I have a situation at the east side of the car park. I need your help” she whispered quietly on her transceiver. “I’ll be right there” he said.

“You have your bag so let him go” she said again to the men.

“First tell us who you are. Better yet take off that scarf” the man beside the one with the deep voice said. “Come on take it off” the other guy pointed the gun at Justin and Justin looked at her with that pleading look in his eyes. She didn’t have it in her heart to reject him after all it’s her fault he’s in this situation. She took a deep breath and started unravelling her scarf.

--------------------

Justin is late in meeting his friends. He would’ve been early but he had to come back to his house to get his cell phone which he forgot at his house. He just parked his car when he heard a gunshot, at least that’s what he thought so he didn’t get out of the car yet. But he was shock when someone knocked on his window, he didn’t open the window he just looked at the guy outside. But when he took a gun out and pointed it at him it was another matter. He slowly climbs out of the car and the rest the guy drag him away.

He was so scared, the gun is pointed at his head and they were shouting at someone to come out across the parking lot. The guy with the gun started counting and when he reached two, a figure came out from behind a truck not too far from where he’s standing. He recognised that figure and it’s the person with the red scarf around the head concealing the face. The man beside him was telling the figure to unwrap her scarf. He was so scared but in a sick twisted way he was also waiting for her to do what the man is saying. He looked straight to her eyes and he could feel familiarity in it. She started unravelling the red scarf slowly and she never looked away from him. Her hair fell on her shoulder and he could clearly see that it reached her lower back and it’s straight. Her face was about to be uncovered when there was a shot that rang out of the parking lot. The guy with the gun just dropped on the floor but another shot was fired from his gun then the woman took action. She wraps the scarf again around her head then drew a gun from her ankle and without hesitation shoots the remaining guy dead.

“I’m sorry you were in the middle of this but you could go now” she told Justin when it was over.

“Who are you? I’m getting the feeling of familiarity from you. Do I know you?” Justin asked one after the other.

“You should really go” she said without answering his question then started walking towards her bike but before she could reach it her feet gave way under her.

Justin runs to her to help her stand up and he could clearly see that her left thigh is bleeding. “Can you please tell me your name?” they both stood up and she continued on her bike without as much as an ‘ouch’ from her mouth. He couldn’t do anything so he just watched her as she put the bag on the small compartment underneath the seat of her bike.

She jumped in to her bike and before she sped off, she looked at Justin for a second checking if he’s really ok. “Take Care” she said then she left him standing there. All Justin could do was following her with his eyes disappointed that he didn’t find out anything about her. He looked at the road where she disappeared to again for a moment hoping that she’s still there but after a few moment he turned around and headed to the club.

-----------------------------

Gabby arrived in their talked about rendezvous point and her partner is already waiting there. She took the bag under her bike sit and hand it to Brendan.

“What happen?” Brendan asked as soon as he got the bag from her and saw her limping.

“The guy I took the bag from probably called his guards after I took it” she shrugged.

“Yes which made the whole thing fail” he stopped for a second before continuing on “Look, I know you’re used to working alone but right now your situation is complicated that’s why you need a partner. So whether you like it or not you got to think of others when executing any mission from here onwards” he finished.

“I know and I’ll be careful next time” she assured him. It’s no use arguing now. After they talked, they went home. Brendan told her that he’s going to report about the mission to their director so she doesn’t have to worry about that for tonight anyway.

She went home and drew a bubble bath. While her tub is filling up, she took her clothes of wincing when her thigh hurt with her every move. She was about to get in to her tub, but she went to her home gym instead and try to work out the energy that she still have after the mission although her left thigh is throbbing she could put that aside since she’s used to pain anyway. She was in the middle of beating up the sandbag when she heard her landline rang.

“Hello” she answered out of breath.

“Gabby? Are you okay you sound like you’ve been running” Justin said from the other line.

“Yea I’m ok just working out. What’s up?”

“I’ve been ringing your doorbell are you gonna let me in? I’ve got dinner”

“Oh sorry, I’ll be there in a sec” she hung up the phone and went to wrap a bandage on her thigh and grab the drawstring pants by the chair before answering the door. She took the numerous food containers from Justin’s hand which she can clearly see it came from a Chinese take away.

“Did I interrupt you with something?” he asked looking at her red sports bra and gray draw strings pants following her to the kitchen.

“No, I was just trying to use all the energy that I have or else I wouldn’t be able to sleep” she answered getting a bottle of bear from the fridge and a diet coke. They both went to the den with Gabby leading the way.

“Are you ok?” he saw her twinge when she sat down in front of him on the floor.

“Yeah, I’m good I think I just pulled a muscle that’s all” she shrugged but she jumped a little when Justin exclaimed.

“Gabby, your thigh is bleeding” he put down everything he was holding on the floor and helped her stand up. He led her in to a couch on the side of the room and then run up to the bathroom to get the first aid kit.

“Justin I’m okay” she tried to stop him from pushing the pant leg up.

“Don’t be ridiculous. Where did you injure your leg anyways?” he asked watching her strip the pants down and when she was standing in front of him with just her short shorts he started looking at the wound on her thigh. When he saw the wound he stopped because something is nagging him at the back of his mind but couldn’t put his finger on it.

“I was cleaning the garage and it was caught on a protruding wire and I didn’t see it” she winced a little when Justin started cleaning the wounds. She watches him clean the wound and she couldn’t help but notice that he was so meticulous but also gentle. She was so busy watching of him she didn’t even hear her cell ringing until Justin stopped what he was doing and looked pointedly at her.

“Oh sorry” she laughed reaching for her cell on the table where she left it earlier.

“Lawson” she answered the phone.

“This is Henricksen, I just received the report of what happen tonight and I must say it’s sloppy and I’m really disappointed. I have every right to suspend you but I’m also taking in consideration that you just came back to work so I’ll let it slide just this one time” he reprimanded her.

“Thank you sir and I assure you it won’t happen again” Justin looked at her in question when he heard her.

“Anyway, there’s another reason why I’m calling you. We need you to go undercover as a bodyguard for some pop star. Apparently there’s a stealing going on and the man who called us fear that their singer is in danger”

“Who is it?” she asked cautiously since this could really put her in the spot and people might find out who she really is, especially Justin. She will tell him who she is but not right now. She’s not ready.

“I believe the singer is Mr Timberlake” he informed her.

“What?” she asked standing up from the chair ignoring Justin’s confused expression. “Lo siento, pero es ya una de mi amigo y su escolta se pondría de manifiesto lo que soy” (I'm sorry, but he's already one of my friend and being his bodyguard would reveal who I am) she started speaking in Spanish so fast Justin looked at her with wide eyes but she only gave him a small smile but continued her conversation. “No sólo eso, las cámaras pueden captar mi cara” (Not only that, cameras could capture my face)

“So I’ve heard. But you can use this to your advantage. This way we don’t have to make up any story of who you are just make sure that you are with him at all times especially when he goes on his three month tour. You also have to make sure that you wear hats or sunglasses when you know they’d be a camera around. This way, no one could get a complete picture of you. You’ve lost weight and changed your hair colour so I should be okay” Henricksen explained to her. “You just gotta be careful not to reveal who you are”

She sighs and looked at Justin before responding to Henrickson. “Understood” she finally said “I’ll do it”

“Great. We appreciate it and we’ll call you with the details or I’ll send the files with Lyle so that he could bring them to you in person” he said to her before hanging up the phone.

“Who was that?” Justin asked as soon he saw her hang up the phone.

“My boss giving me some time off work which is great.”

“That’s good. I’m going to New York this weekend for a promotion.” He informed her and she looked up because this means she has to be there with him in New York. She doesn’t know how to ask him if she could come without being suspicious. “Would you like to go?” Justin asked which gave her the chance without raising suspicions.

“Really? You wouldn’t mind? I haven’t been to New York so I would love to visit it” she smiled at him.

“Yea, I’d be there for five days but I’m only working for two. The rest I’d be meeting friends so you could join me” he offered.

“Are you really sure I won’t impose?” she asked again looking him straight.

“No, we could book two rooms in the Hyatt hotel”

“Cool, I’ll leave that to you then but can you do me a favour though, can you please book both rooms under your name” she requested. Justin looks up at her with a question in his eyes but didn’t voice it out and just agree with her.

“Thank you. I know it sounds weird and thank you for not asking” she smiled at him briefly. “Wanna have some dinner now?” she motioned upstairs to the kitchen.

“Is your leg okay now?” he stood up from the floor waiting for her to answer.

“Yea don’t worry it wont kill me” she shrugged and started going up the stairs.

After dinner Justin went home. As soon as he left, she went to take a shower and clean her leg again. Justin did a great job but she won’t be able to leave it alone unless she does it herself. After cleaning her wounds she went to bed.