- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it took longer but this is a future chapter...this picks up after chapter 2 at the wedding. I hope you all enjoy it. :)






Her heart beat faster and faster with each step she took. Her heels clicking on the floor as Leighanne and Kristen held up the train of her dress.

“Don't ruin your make up.” Nanna Carlyle smirked and Jocelyn giggled and dabbed her eyes with a handkerchief. But her eyes misted again when they stopped at the French doors that lead out to the garden where the wedding was begin held. The women crowded around her and patted different places on her arms and back.

“He's not here to give me away.” she whispered and Nanna gripped her hand fiercely.

“He is too.” she scolded and Jocelyn looked away. “Don't you dare say that he's not. He might not be here in our form but he will most certainly be walking you down that aisle.”

“She's right.” Leighanne smiled and patted her cheek. “You'll feel him when those doors open. Trust me.” Jocelyn wrapped her arms around her friend and let out a small sob.

“Thank you so much.” Jocelyn whispered and pulled back.

“It was my pleasure.” Leighanne assured her. A loud whistle sounded from down the hall and they all turned to see Brian, Bailey, Kevin, and Nick walking down the hall, all dressed to the nine in tuxedos.

“Well, don't you look mighty fine.” Brian grinned and wrapped a single arm around her tiny waist. “You are absolutely gorgeous, Jo.” They pulled apart ad she blushed.

“You clean up nice as well, Littrell.” she smiled and looked down to Bailey. “Both of you do. Hi, there Bay.” The boy grinned at her and walked over to hug her leg.

“JoJo, pretty.” he mumbled and they all laughed.

“You are a stunner, Jo. That's for sure.” Nick smiled and hugged her. Kevin and Howie followed suit and Brian spoke up after.

“AJ has made up his mind about his Groom's Men.” he announced and the girl's waited. “All four of us are going to be up there. All as his best men.” he told them and Leighanne frowned a little.

“Well, then it's up to Jo to get the order straight.” she said and everyone looked to Jocelyn. She huffed a little and Brian patted her back.

“No pressure. You're only making a literal last minute wedding decision as you stand to walk down the aisle to one of my best friends.” he teased and Leighanne slapped his shoulder.

“The first ones up stand closest to me and Alex, right?” Jocelyn asked and everyone nodded. “Leighanne and Brian first. Then Kevin and Kristen . Then Howie and Leigh. Then Nick and-- wait, who’s walking with Nick?” she asked and everyone paused.

“I could walk Nanna?” he suggested and Leighanne shook her head.

“No, she‘s walking with Jocelyn down the aisle.” she frowned and tapped her chin.

“He could walk me down?” a voice spoke behind them and everyone’s eyes widened. Jocelyn turned her head and stared at the tall red haired woman standing behind them. Her naturally straight hair was curled a little and she wore a cream colored dress similar to the rest of the girls in the wedding party.

“Why in the world would you think we would let you be in the wedding party? I don’t even know how you got an invitation.” Leighanne hissed and crossed her arms. Everyone was silent as a guilty look crossed the girl’s face.

“I sent her one.” Jocelyn spoke up and Leighanne paled.

“Why?” she whispered. Jocelyn stepped in front of Leighanne and stood in front of the girl.

“Because I wanted her here.” she told them all softly and smiled. “Kennedy.”

“Hey, Jo.” Kennedy smiled, tears filling her eyes. “You look even more beautiful that what I’d imagined.” Jocelyn sniffed back her own tears and nodded her head.

“Thanks.” she whispered and looked over to Nick. “Would you escort her down?” she asked. Nick looked from Jocelyn and Kennedy and then to Leighanne, who nodded.

“Yeah, sure. Whatever you say, Jo.” he agreed and held his arm out to Kennedy. Jocelyn turned to a hurt looking Leighanne and smiled at her.

“Wasn’t it you who told me that forgiving is not forgetting?” she asked and Leigahnne nodded.

“Yes, but this almost didn’t happen and it was her fault.” she retorted and Kennedy looked away again. Jocelyn took Leighanne’s hand and smiled at her warmly.

“She knows her mistake and by being the last up there, she’s paying for it. I know just as well as she does that she wants to be where you are going to be. And that by my side in my wedding.” Jocelyn told her. “I can’t forget the 20 years that we have been best friends just like I can’t forget what she did to me. I forgive her but this is only the beginning of a tough time for us. Please, trust me in this.” she begged and Leighanne smiled at her.

“I wouldn’t dare doubt you.” she promised and then turned to Kennedy. “But you, on the other hand, you take one wrong look at him and I’ll make sure you regret ever being born.” she seethed and Brian covered Bailey’s ears. Kennedy nodded and everyone took their places.

“Let’s get this show on the road.” Nick cheered and everyone laughed. Brian poked his head out and signaled to the pianist. The music filled the air and after a few seconds the doors opened fully and Brian and Leighanne stepped out. A few steps out and Kevin and Kristen were going. Jocelyn tried to get a peek down the aisle to see Alex but couldn’t because Nanna pulled her back. Howie and Leigh were next and then Nick and Kennedy.

A smile flew across Jocelyn's face when Bailey stood at the doors with the small white pillow and rings. She could hear Brian trying to coax him down the aisle and Jocelyn kneeled down behind one of the doors when he looked at her sadly.

“Go on. Go to Daddy. I'll be down there in a few minutes.” she assured him and he began to walk. She heard a fit of giggles and a little round of applause and she knew he was there.

Nanna took her place in the center of the doors as the Wedding March began playing. Jocelyn felt her heart explode when Nanna held her hand out.

This was it. She was getting married to Alex. She was going to be his wife and he was going to be her husband. They had worked three long, hard years to get to this point and it was time now.

It was time.

She felt the warm Georgia sun on her face as she stepped beside her grandmother and hooked arms with her. She saw the tale tell tears in Nanna's eyes and batted her own tears away. She took a deep breath before looking down the aisle and taking her first step. Her smiled spread even further across her face when she saw Alex at the end of the aisle surrounded by their friends and standing before their families.

She took another step.

Her eyes drifted to the garden and she smiled again. It was beautiful. It was a year's work in front of her. The old fashioned wooden pews on both sides of the aisle were filled with friends and family. White and yellow roses were ivied around the pews and around the hand made alter that Alex stood under.

Another step.

She even took the time to look down at the ground as she walked. It was littered with white and yellow rose petals.

Her eyes looked back up and filled with tears again.

He was so close.

She was almost there.

Just a little closer. A little closer.



***




“We are gathered here today to witness the joining of this man and this woman in marriage; which is an honorable estate, instituted in the necessities of our being, and dedicated to the happiness of mankind; an estate not by any to be entered into unadvisedly or lightly, but reverently, discreetly, soberly, and in all sincerity.” the minister spoke. Jocelyn and Alex stood side by side in front of him. The faint cries of Denise and Nanna were heard in the pauses that he took.

“To be true, this outward form must be a symbol of that which is inner and real, a sacred personal union, which a church may solemnize and a state make legal, but which only love can create and mutually fulfill.”

Jocelyn smiled. She and Alex had gone through numerous wedding ceremonies and finally decided on this one. They both only read it once and were in live with it.

A sacred personal union.

Her eyes blinked a times or two as she waited for the best part of speech.

“To endure, the marriage of these two persons must be a consecration of each to the other, and of both to the wider community of which their lives are a part.

Love is a great thing, and thorough good. By itself, it makes everything that is heavy, light, and it bears evenly all that is uneven.

Love carries a burden which is no burden; it will not be kept back by anything low and mean; it desires to be free from all worldly affectations and not to be entangled by any outward prosperity or by adversity subdued.

Love feels no burden, thinks nothing of trouble, attempts what is above its strength, and pleads no excuse of impossibility.

Love is therefore able to undertake all things, and it completes many things and warrants them to take effect, where he or she who does not love would faint and lie down.

Though weary, love is not tired; though pressed, love is not straightened; though alarmed, love is not confounded; but as a living flame, it forces its way upward and securely passes through all.

Love is active and sincere.” he finished with a joyful smile.

Tears were in abundance now. Jocelyn was crying. All the bride's maid's were crying. Even little Bailey was choked up seeing Leighanne cry. And if she could have turned her head far enough, she was sure that the guys were crying too. Including Alex, of course.

The minister looked to Alex and his breath caught.

“Alexander McLean, will you have this woman to be your wife, to live together in the sacred estate of marriage? Will you love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, and be faithful to her, as long as you both shall live?” he asked. Alex's smile was the biggest anyone had ever seen from him.

“I will.” he answered honestly and Jocelyn choked back a sob. A tiny hand pulled Jocelyn's attention to the ground where she saw Bailey rubbing her back.

“It's okay, JoJo.” he whispered and she covered her mouth to giggle, like everyone else did. Leighanne was trying not to yell at him and Jocelyn waved it off. She took his tiny hand in hers and looked back to the minister, who was now looking at her with a warm smile.

“Jocelyn Carlyle, will you have this man to be your husband, to live together in the sacred estate of marriage? Will you love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, and be faithful to him, as long as you both shall live?” he asked again and Jocelyn bit her lip as she nodded.

“I will.” she nearly whimpered and Bailey squeezed her hand as tight as he could. The minister smiled triumphantly and motioned for Jocelyn and Alex to face each other. Alex reached out and took her right hand from Bailey but the boy stood his spot next to Jocelyn.

“Thanks, Bay.” Alex whispered and squeezed Jocelyn's right hand. Brian shook his head laughing and Leighanne choked on another wave of tears.

“Repeat after me, Alex.” the minister smiled and recited the vows. Jocelyn looked into his big brown eyes and smiled a watery smile. He rubbed her palm with his thumb as he repeated what the minister had just recited.

“I, Alexander McLean, take you, Jocelyn Carlyle, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.” he vowed and Jocelyn wiped under her eyes.

“Jocelyn, repeat after me dear.” the minister smiled and recited the same vows. She took a deep breath to calm herself before repeating.

"I, Jocelyn Carlyle, take you, Alexander McLean, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.” she vowed to him and he squeezed his eyes shut. She smiled when he pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Each of you has rings for each other. Would you exchange them?” the minister smiled and they looked at Bailey. Leighanne handed him the pillow again and he stood between Jocelyn and Alex. Alex carefully picked up the silver band from the pillow and slowly slid it onto her finger. He watched as a tear fell from her lashes and down her face. Before he let her get his ring, he wiped the tear away with his thumb.

She smiled at him and picked up his silver band from the pillow. She winked at Bailey as he handed the pillow back to Leighanne and stood at her side again.

“I'm starting to think he should have given you away.” the minister chuckled and opened his book again when she slipped the ring on Alex's finger. “As a ceaseless reminder of this hour, and of the promise you have made to each other, these rings also speak of the oneness you now experience as husband and wife.” he grinned and motioned for Alex and Jocelyn to hold hands again.

“May you always remain sweethearts and friends. May your marriage be full of kindness. May the years bring you happiness and contentment. Forever love.” he finished and closed his book. “I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may now kiss your bride.”

The garden erupted in applause and a few catcalls that Jocelyn suspected was from Nick. Alex was grinning like a Cheshire cat as he pulled Jocelyn to him. Her arms naturally wrapped around his neck and her eyes closed as his face descended upon hers.

The space closed when his lips touched hers. His hands wrapped around her waist and pulled her closer to him. He felt the fresh tears on her face as he kissed her slowly but passionately.

And like Jocelyn suspected, Alex pulled back before either one could deepen it. She heard a distinct 'I told you so.' from behind her and knew it was Kristen to Leighanne.

“May I introduce to you Mr. And Mrs. Alexander James McLean.”



Chapter End Notes:
An FYI the past chapters are as they are going into the studio to record Incomplete. This is in 2008. Reviews?