- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Didn't bother to check this chapter for any boo boo's. Sorry for the confusion: it's Howie that's fallen for Marie, not Kevin. Now, the names have been switched. :)
“Guys? I think I'm in love.” It's been a month since Marie and I have been dating, and I've got to say, it's been the best month ever. Everytime I think of her, or see her, I would do backflips. She makes me so happy, ya know? Nothing has ever gotten me so overjoyed. I'm sitting with my friends at Tabu, takin' back a few drinks. “So, is she 'the one'?” my friend Alex asked with is leopard print shades tilted down. “She could be. When I'm with her, I've never felt so alive...” “I couldn't be more happy for you, Nicky,” Howard said, quickly turning back down to his flat Bloody Mary and nibbling at the now wilted celery stick. “D, you've been sipping that thing for an hour now. What's up?” “It's nothing, Nick, alright? I just have a lot on my mind with my real estate business.” Little did he know that his company, “The Dorough Group” is the highest real estate agency in the nation at the moment. Must be chick problems. He's been saying that he wants to settle down, but he claims to 'never have time for a relationship.' “Aww, come on, D...you've been mopey for weeks. What's on your mind?”

Howie's point of view:

Should I really tell them? Should I tell them that the reason why I'm so 'mopey' is because Nick is dating the one person I could ever care about? The one person who I wanted to be my girlfriend? It makes me sick when I see those two together, nuzzling their noses together, and giving each other sweet light kisses. I wonder if they're having sex yet? That's none of my business. If she was a virgin, I hope he was gentle with her, or I would have to hurt him. If only Nick really knew what he has in the palm of his hands. She's not like the women that he normally dates; she has a mind of her own, and head on her shoulders, and rare beauty. I really hope that she won't be a future victim of being kicked to the curb, I really hope not. She's not worth it.

Everytime I would try and ask her out, I'd freeze and change the subject and say like, “How about those Vikings?” What a wuss I am. I'm the type of wuss that doesn't mind expressing his feelings and thoughts about someone or something. Someone that listens to Bach and drink herbal tea in his Italian furnished apartment every now and then. The type of wuss that would call his mother everyday and check up on her whether she's sick or not. Now, if I'm one, then you can call me the King of Wusses, I don't care.

I just really wish I had the chance to ask her out, and not him. Because, truthfully? I don't trust him. I have a sixth sense when it comes to trusting someone, and there's something about him that rubs me the wrong way. Maybe it's his snake like grin? Maybe it's the way he talks like a suave, zoot suit wearing skirtchaser? Maybe it's his soul. Yes, that could be it, but I could be totally wrong. Even if I say that I'm 'wrong', that gut feeling tickles me. I just hope that he won't try anything funny with her, and if he does, he'll be so sorry.

“Dorough! Say something!” Thrown out of my trance, I nearly jump out of my seat and knock over my lukewarm drink. Not quickly noticing the mess I made, I got up with my briefcase in hand, and walk out of my club. “What's with him?” Brian asked while scratching his head. “I don't know...but I've never seen him this tense before...”

I get into my car and roll the windows up. Fishing through my pocket for my BlackBerry, I call Marie's number. “Please, pick up,” I say to myself.

“Hello?”
“Hey, Marie, how are you?”
“I'm fine, and you?”
“I'm alright. Say, um...are you free next Thursday?”
“I have to check my schedule. What's up?”
“There's an art gala from Paris coming to town for a week, and I've been wanting to go, but I have to have a guest. I was wondering if you're free on Thursday?”
“Let's see...”

I hear the ruffling of pages in the background, then her voice.

“Yeah, I'm free Thursday. When can I expect you?”
“I can come pick you up at 8. Does that sound good?”
“Most definitely. I'll give you my address, and everything will be set, ok?”
“Perfect.”
As I got her address, we said our goodbyes and hung up. I finally had the guts to ask her out, even if it is for a friendly gathering. I turn the car on and drive towards home.


“Diahanne, I'm going out! Take care of my house for me!” “You got it!” she shouted from the den. This is my usual jogging time, and I wanted to get it in before winter hits. Before I head out the door, my phone vibrates. To my surprise, it was Nick. Probably calling to check up on me.

“Hey, baby.”
“Hey, Nick. What's going on?”
“I was just callin', wondering if you felt like going out tonight.”
“ Tonight?” I look over at the counter and see that it was the 19th, the day of me and Howie's little get together.
“I'm sorry, baby, I can't go out tonight.”
“Why not?”
“I'm going out with Howie this evening. He wanted to check out this art gala that's in town tonight.”
“You're dating Kevin? As in Howard Dorough Howard?
“Yes....is that a problem?”
“Reschedule. It's just colorful pictures that don't mean anything.”
“I can't reschedule; he'll be here in a few hours to pick me up.”
“Excuse me?”
“I said, I can't reschedule. Did you hear me that ti--”
“I don't want you dating him. He's nothing but trouble.”
“So, you're telling me what to do now? What is wrong with--”
“Don't defy me, Marie! If you go out with that boy, you WILL be sorry. Got it?”

And he hung up.

What the FUCK was his problem? Everything started out fine 2 months ago, and now, he's hollering at me. I don't know what the deal is...

And it's scaring me, to say the least.

“He did what?” Howie asks me, shocked from head to toe. “He basically ordered me to call off the date with you. He had this...this horrid boom in his voice; something that I've never heard before, ya know?” He shook his head. “I never heard it before, either. It's odd. I wonder what brought it on?” “He was probably drunk. Who knows?” “True. Let's not talk about anything bad at this moment. Let's just enjoy this meal.” “Yeah. McDonald's has such a joie de vivre.” he looked over at me and laughed. “I'm sorry about that; I didn't have my other wallet with me, so I guess this is what we have to settle for tonight.” “I didn't mean it in a bad way, it's really awfully nice of you. Thank you.” he flashed a warm smile at my direction, and I intercepted with a smile of my own.

The date was a complete success. We parked in front of her house, and we looked at each other for quite sometime. “Well...” “Well...” I bit my lower lip and continue to look over at her. She's pretty as well as smart, and I can only wish that she was mine. If she was my girlfriend for a day, that would make me the strongest man on the planet.

“I'd better get going, I have to get up early in the morning.” “Right.” I say to her before asking her this. “May I see you to the door?” “Sure, why not?” she said with a loving smile etched on her face. We both get out the car and slowly walk towards the steps. As we finally make it to the front door, we stand in front of one another. “Well, I'll talk to you later?” “You betcha. Are you still able to be at the party tomorrow?” “Yes, I will, D. See you then.” she turned her heel (or gymshoe for that matter) and walked into her house.

That woman is sometihng special to me, and I can't get her out of my mind to save my life. I don't want to cause an accident, so I save the daydreaming for later, and pull out of her driveway and head home.

I close the door, and smile to myself. “He sure is nice...and handsome,” I say to myself as I set my purse down on the table, and walk into the den to watch a few late night cinemas.

“Hello.”

There he was, staring at me with his eyes; a cold shade of blue. “You're late.” “What the hell are you doing in my house, Nick? I never gave you a key...” “How I got here doesn't matter. I told you not to go out with him, and you didn't listen to me. Why?” “Gee, I didn't realize I had to get your damn approval. I'm an adult, you know. I can do whatever the hell I want.” “Are you cheating on me?” I look at him and cross my arms, confused. “What did you just say?” He walked up to me; he was so close to my face, I backed up against the door.

“I said, are you cheating on me? And tell me the truth...” “So, you're accusing me of infidelity? Because I went out with Kevin? What is with you, Carter?” “You've been goin' out with him for weeks, from what Alex told me...” “We only went out ONCE! Don't believe everything you hear.” “Marie, you're my girlfriend. I don't want any other man around you...I couldn't bear to see you give your love to someone else.” “Nick, you're losing it...and you're not losing me. And we've only been together for a month and a half, and you're acting as if we've been together since the dawn of time. I think we should slow down.”

What she told me drove a stake through my heart. I didn't want to 'slow down' Why does she want to? I know I'm good enough for her...I know deep down that she loves me. So, why is she steering clear of us having a relationship?

“Marie, I don't want to slow down.” “Well, I do. I need time to think if another relationship is right for me.” “I thought I was right for you?” I look over at him with my eyebrow risen in wonder. “Nick, in the months we've been dating, did I say 'I love you'?” “No, you didn't...but I know I do.” “What?” He held my hand and thumbed the back of it with his thumb. Our eyes met again; though I didn't feel love, but uncertainty. Is he the one for me? “I love you, Marie Johnson...” My lips quivered as he said those three words. He loves me: but does he mean it? “Are...are you serious?” “Yes. But I have to know: do you feel the same way?” I look down at the carpeted floor, the ceiling fan, and the kitchen door before I gave him my answer.

After half a minute of pondering, I turn to him and say, “I...I still have to think about this, Nick. I'm sorry.” He slowly let my hands go, and looked down, spewing out a low distinct 'oh, ok...' I step away from him and walk towards the front door, opening it. “Goodnight,” I say to him, somewhat in a sad tone, for I disappointed him. But I quickly realized that it's not about him at all: it's how I feel about 'us'. Do I want this? That's the real question here . . . no. The real question is: do I want HIM? Boy, another test for me. Great. “I guess...I'll see you around?” I nod, and weakly smile as I watch him head for the exit. He took his time walking down the steps and approaching his vehicle; I close the door behind me.

I thumb at the bracelet he bought me a few weeks ago. He calls it a promise bracelet, which is very thoughtful, but at the same time, he's rushing into things at the moment. I mean, surely I care for him, but I'm still not sure about the loving part. I would hate to have my heart broken yet again...