- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you guys so much for the reviews. I have my internet back, so I'm going to start responding to your reviews. I hope you like this chapter, Kristal and I put a lot of work into it. Woot. Thanks hun!

Finally scrambling to my feet, I make my way over to Crystal. The force, of the explosion, caused the glass cabinet to fall over, and shatter into pieces all over the place. I step over it, and find her still huddled under the stairs, mumbling to herself. “Come here, Crys! Are you ok?” I reach my hand out to her, but she doesn’t take it.

Swiftly, she stands up and looks me square in the eyes. “We are going to die, aren’t we, Jack?”

I let out a deep sigh, and stay quiet. At this point…I’m not sure if we’ll make it out of this, alive, or not. So, I don’t really have an answer for her, but I can’t let her know that. After glancing at her bare feet, I take her in my arms, and carry her over the scattered glass on the floor. Once in the living room, I set her down “You two stay here…I need to go look around.“ I pull my gun out and start to turn around, but I’m stopped by her arms wrapping around me. I know it’s not the time, but I knew she couldn’t contain herself for too damn long. “You can’t go out there, Jack. They might be waiting for you! You could be next! You saw…how they blew her up…”

She’s gripping my shirt now, and her eyes are pleading. Am I supposed feel good, since she doesn’t want me going out there? Does she really care, I know she’s told me a couple of times that she loves me, but…is it possible that someone cares about me? “I’ll be right back woman!”

“Jack…please…please don’t go out there…”

I grab her hands gently and pry them off my shirt “Listen to me I can take care of my damn self…I can handle this, Crys. I’m a big boy.” I know I was a little disappointed about her coldness earlier, but quite frankly who am I kidding, I can’t give into the lovey dovey shit…especially with, this goofy ass fucking blonde…sorry excuse of a cowboy right behind me.

“You know what, give me a gun, Jack. I’m going out there, with you. She’s right…you shouldn’t go alone.” Of course…he’s always got to butt into things! I would think he’d be cowering somewhere in a damn corner, but noooo, he’s all up in the mix. Shit, sometimes I really hope he’s next, then again, I know the kid would be devastated. So fuck it, I take that comment back.

“What the fuck happened to your gun?” I snap at him, with a raised brow, as I tilt my head. He has to got be fucking kidding, me. I mean seriously…the dumb fuck shot his own ass.

“Wait a damn minute, you guys can’t leave me here, all alone!” her eyes go wide, as she stares up at me. I would much rather the blonde one stay with her, than to follow me. It's enough work having to watch my own ass, let alone another one with a wound on it.

“And that’s why he…should stay with you.” I start towards the door, but I stop dead in my tracks as I hear her stern voice.

“Fine! I know you have more guns, in that bag. Just…give us each, one, okay? Can you really say no? Or do you want someone to come in here and blow our heads off.” her last dramatic sentence did me in. Typical woman…testing me. She wants to know if I care…and this is the first test given to me, by a woman, that I will actually pass.

I quickly snatch my bag off the floor and dig into it, being careful not to show or spill the rest of its contents, that I’m pretty sure nosy one and two have already seen. I pull out a pistol and hoping the dumbass catches it, I toss it at Nick.

Now, I’ve seriously lost my damn mind, because I walk over to her with two different weapons in my hand and bluntly ask her “Which one can you handle?” I hold up the pistol in my left hand, and my baby…the sniper riffle in my right. I raise a brow waiting for her answer.

She looks at me stunned, “Is that a…oh my god Jack! That’s a sniper gun! Wha…” Nice, I’m impressed that she recognizes what it is.

“Yes it is, now which one you want, babe?” Holy fucking shit! Did I just call her that?!? The surprised look on her face, confirms it. I have to play this off, damn it I feel a warmth of embarrassment creep up on my face. I never knew that this whole, having feelings for someone, was so challenging. She brings me back from my trance with the word “Both”

Her hand barely brushes against mine, as she reaches for the rifle, sending a hot rush through my body. I ignore the stupid, feeling that grows in the pit of my stomach and question her answer “Both?” I raise a brow, now I know she can be tough when she wants, but I’m not so sure, about being able to handle my baby.

“Uh…yes both. Look I’ll go upstairs and prop it in the window, I can be your back up. Like in the movies.”

What? I can’t help, but crinkle my eyebrows, in disapproval. “This isn’t a movie Crys!”

“I know that” she rolls her eyes at me "It was just a figure of speech. Like I said, the rifle will go in the winodw, and I’ll keep the pistol, just in case someone comes after me, its way easier to aim the pistol than it is, to aim the rifle.” she purses her lips, obviously satisfied with her answer. Hell, I’m pretty impressed with it myself, she‘s got her way of convincing people, although I’m not too convinced, I‘ll tell you that much.

“Fine, just be careful!” I hand them both to her, not sure if it’s the wise thing, to do. Could she really handle these weapons? I guess I don’t have much of a choice…besides…I trust her…well, as close to trusting, as I can get, anyways.

Nick and I both watch her head up the stairs, then I wave him down to follow me. I’m surprised at how quiet he’s been, yet I’m pretty pleased by it too. His voice is fucking annoying and squeaky. I grab extra ammo, and shove it in my pocket, I slowly lead him out the back door. We both have our guns drawn, as we make way towards the stables, he’s a little behind, since he’s still limping.

“Damn that bitch reeks!” he blurts, scrunching his nose, as we come upon what looks like, what’s left of Holly. He‘s fucking right, the smell of a burnt body, is pretty damn nasty!

“Shut up” I order harshly, as we near the scene of the explosion. The fire has dwindled, there’s only the heavy smoke in the air and a large black spot where the barn USED to be. I wonder what Richardson will think, when he rolls up to see his barn blown up. Oh well, he might not even have much time to bitch about it.

“I don’t see shit, Jack” Nick whines, just as he spins around, we hear the crunching of leaves. My ears perk up, and I turn in the direction of the noise. It’s coming from behind the stables. Nick and I walk side, by side, looking in all directions, making sure to stay close to the side of the wall. Just as we get ready to round the corner, I can swear I see movement in the patch of the woods.

“Over there” I whisper, tapping his arm and pointing towards the trees. He nods his understanding and we both duck down behind, a woodpile. Fuck, this having to take care of other people is so damn hard. I have the kid whose supposed to be in the window and this limping fool, out here in the open. I happen to look up, and see that Crystal has positioned herself, in the window to the far left. You know, this woman confuses me, sometimes she’s this sweet, innocent, maybe even naive kid and other times she’s scolding me, cursing a storm and even comes off as tough.

For a brief moment, I see her eyes, scanning the place, even with the distance, I can tell she’s terrified. I guess, she’s not as tough, as she likes to pretend. I’m hoping that she can supply the back-up though. My eyes shift from the wooded area, where nothing seems to be happening, back to the window, where I see a slight motion from her. I have to admit, she’s doing a pretty good job, with staying out of sight.

She signals that I’m clear with her hands, I peek around the stacked wood, double checking her conclusion, just to be sure. I signal to the right, letting Nick know which way, he should go. I hold a finger up, then another…just as I hold up the third, we both sprint towards the woods, quickly finding cover. I head to the left and hide behind an old abandoned well. Nick heads to the right and ducks behind a small tool shed. We both snap our heads up as we both hear more rustling. My heart rate picks up, the adrenaline is kicking in and I’m ready to rumble!

Just as I’m about to jump out and test my luck, I take a glance at the window and see her signal not to move. Now I can’t help, but wonder if she knows what the hell she’s doing, or if she would even have the guts to shoot anyone. My eyes stay fixed on the window, and I strain my ears to hear every little noise possible, but everything is quiet, except for the rustling of the tree’s with the wind, and the crackling of the small fire that's still burning. I can barely see the tip, of the rifle. Hell, I can’t even see her, damn, I think, she actually knows what she’s doing.

Finally I see the tips of her fingers pointing right. I’m a little confused as to what it means…is there someone to my right or should I GO to the right? You know, I’m going to go on instinct, on this one. Right when I get ready to move from my spot, Nick walks out from behind the tool shed, hands up in the air and a panicked look on his face. Oh fuck, see what I mean. I’m dying to look up at the window. She must be, just as panicked, cause she hasn’t taken a shot at him. Which can only mean that she doesn’t have a clear view or she doesn’t have the guts to do it.

“Hey there Jack…” Tom! That fucker, he’s got Nick. “Wow, you’ve lost your touch, your skills aren’t working to your advantage, lately. The things a woman can do.” the bastard is laughing at me. He finally steps out from behind Nick, and pushes him towards the clearing. Our eyes are boring into each other. To think I used to believe I could rely on this guy. It has to be that wide jaw of his, or the toothy grin. Hell, Don and I used to pick on him, cause he looks like a damn goofy, church boy.

I have to do something quick, and I think I have just the thing. Pushing his buttons can probably work. His family is everything to him “Leave him out of this Tom…this is between you and me.” he has a mocking grin plastered on his face, and it’s really irritating me.

Nick goes pale, when Tom stands next to him, pressing the gun against his temple. There is a clear shot and I’m wondering why the kid, hasn’t taken it. “This isn’t REALLY between you and me…I’m just the middle man, you’re a fucking jackass!” Did he just call me… “You just had to do one thing and you went and screwed it all up Jack.”

“I was doing just fine, until you guys sent that dumb fuck rookie to kill the girl.”

He lets out a loud laugh “Like you really give a shit about the giiiiiiiiiirl, you’ve never given a shit about anything, but yourself and that piece of shit car of yours! Get on your knees…” he demands Nick, with a shove, now holding the gun to the back of his head.

I have to admit, that I’m pretty much out of options here. The kids not shooting, Nick doesn’t have his…well my gun anymore and if I don’t think fast, he’s gonna put a bullet in his head. Taking a deep breath I bring up my gun, aiming it directly at him “How would you like me to tell that curly headed little boy that his father is gone…how about that sexy wife of yours? Don’t mind if I have a…”

“DON’T FUCK WITH MY FAMILY JACK!!” he abruptly pushes Nick ,sending him stumbling a couple of feet away. I told you that’s the right button to push. He’s coming right at me, gun aimed and a pissed off look on his face. “I’LL KILL YOU RIGHT NOW!!”

We’re only inches away from each other, our guns are drawn and we’re standing there, waiting to see who shoots first. The moment is surreal to me, it almost feels like my heart is about to burst through my chest, and the whole ranch is spinning around me. Suddenly he looks up and aims, and a shot booms through out the clearing. “Noooo” I yell, as I let him have a blow in the stomach. He bends down, and swiftly comes back up, catching me off guard he lets me have the butt of his gun, across the face.

I stumble backwards, tripping over a pile of wood. I land flat on my back, losing grip of my gun. Instantly he’s on me, crushing my throat with his knee and all his weight. I let my fist connect with his hip, but it doesn’t seem to do anything. Other than piss him off. Well ain’t this a bitch! I choke, trying to breathe.

“It’s time Jack…There’s no getting out of this now, you’re a dead man. Just so you know the pay for offing you is HUGE! You should have thought twice about breaking the rules Jack, you’re not supposed to get attached to the target, you dumb fuck!” He points the gun directly between my eyes, I‘ve never really had a barrel this close to my face before. I’m not a bitch, but I really can’t look. I close my eyes, waiting for him to pull the trigger. Although I’m feeling like, I’m about to blackout anyways. I try to understand what the fuck he’s talking about. I think everyone has lost their damn mind? And where the fuck is my bac…

Another loud bang resounds around me, I flinch and pop my eyes open. Obviously the gunshot didn’t come, from him. I see Tom’s gun laying on the ground, beside me and he looks at me in shock, holding the side of his neck, that is pouring out a shit load of blood. I almost want to help him, hearing him gurgle. I look past him and notice Nick standing several feet away, his gun still drawn. Well I’ll be damned, the fucker saved my miserable life. Aint that some shit!

Just as Tom tries to lift himself up, blood splatters from his chest onto my face. The kid finally fired…she hesitated…and it’s a bit late…I guess there goes the thought that she might be one of us. No hired gun, would ever hesitate, like that. I’m so deep in my thoughts, and a coughing fit, that I haven’t noticed that, the shot has knocked Tom off of me, and that Nick is offering me his hand, so I can get up. Well fuck me beautiful…I’ve never been that damn close to death, before.

I take his hand and get up, getting a last glimpse of Tom. What a damn shame! “See you in hell man!” I mumble, limping along with my life saver. I can’t believe I’m about to do this, hell, there is a lot of shit I can’t believe, lately. “Thanks…for…” I move my head “You know…”

Nick gives me a cocky grin “Saving your ass! It was nothing…” he shrugs, like he’s the professional killer. Please, he was scared shitless, just a couple of minutes ago. A relief comes over me, as a see the backdoor of the house, I can’t wait to see her. “Although, I’ve gotta admit man, that I about pissed my fucking pants, when he put the gun to my head.”

I can’t help myself from laughing at the fucker, I gotta admit that he’s not that bad. I smack a hand on his shoulder and grin widely “You are fucking gay!” we both look at each other, he’s nodding his head and rolling his eyes and I’m grinning cause I got the last word in and we’re still alive…for now!