- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yay, I'm about two chaps away from the end. Ok maybe it's not a yay, thank you ladies for all your time spent reading and your awesome reviews. I love and appreciate them very much. Thank you!

I struggle to open my eyes, but it feels like someone has stapled or glued them shut. I feel like I’m floating in mid air, and I can barely make out movement around me. My mouth moves, but nothing comes out. After a lot of struggle, my eyes gradually open, to nothing but haze.

“J…aaaaaaaaccccccccckkkk” I hear a familiar voice, as my vision starts to focus on a pair of blue eyes and a cowboy hat. Motherfucker! I’m going to kill him.

I try to move, but nothing happens. “Wha…t…the…fu…ck” my mouth barely moves, as I say the words. I look around, I’m sitting in the kitchen, there is no one else, but blondie, here. He’s leaning against the counter, staring at me.

“Jack, how are you feeling?”

My head bobs from side to side, my drowsiness doesn’t keep me from glaring at the idiot. “How…do…you…think?” I lunge at him, making him jump and knocking myself over. Shit, not only have I been shot with a fucking dart full of who knows, what the fuck. I’m also on a kitchen chair, hands tied behind my back, feet tied to the legs of the chairs and for extra measures, I’ve got rope around my damn waist.

“Now…I’m going to pick you up, Jack. Don’t do anything…” he reaches out for me, carefully. What a bitch!

I don’t get why I’m tied the fuck down…oh wait, I do. I’m the bad guy now. “I should kill you…” my words are more clear and my body is slowly coming out of the numbness. “Unfuckingtie me now!”

“Psh…you just said your going to kill me…um…yeah, there will be no untying you. Sorry Jack.”

My stomach is churning and I suddenly feel sick “Nick…bucket…now!” just, as he sets the trash can in front of me, I bend over, and heave letting out all my stomach’s contents. After three good spews, I‘m feeling a bit better. Struggling to wipe my mouth on my shoulder, I turn back to look at Nick “Where is she?” I ask, a little disgusted, by the taste in my mouth.

“Um…” he stutters.

She walks into the kitchen, I can see the distress on her face. Instantly, I remember everything that led to this moment, or at least up to when I was shot. “You shot me with a dart full of something. What the fuck was it?”

“Well it was…” she looks at Nick, then back at me, the anger on her face, softens and so does her voice “It was…um…Phencyclidine, we use it on the horses.”

Did I hear right? She shot me up with PCP, which she gives to fucking horses. “You injected me with horse…shit?” I question, looking straight at her.

“Well…” the other idiot, just has to put in his two cents “It’s not really horse…” he yelps and stumbles back, against the sink, as I buck like a damn HORSE towards him. I’m gonna kill him. “Hey, it’s not me, you should be so mad at. She shot you!”

The kid gives him a look, and quickly he disappears up the stairs, I can feel my stomach churning again. “I need you to untie me Crys…I’m going to be sick again.” I definitely am, I’m actually fighting the bile, from shooting out my throat, since she is taking her sweet ass time.

With a loud sigh, she takes the knife off the counter and walks towards me, she cuts through the rope, that’s looped around my waist and ankles. Quickly I spring onto my feet and dash to the trash can, hands still tied behind my back. Hovering over the can, my body shakes with each spew. She is seriously trying to kill me!

Her soft voice, breaks my thoughts “How many Jack?”

I turn around slowly, look around the house, at her, down at the tiled floor and back up at her. I have never been so ashamed of what I do, I actually used to be proud of my job. I used to revel in my pride, because I was Don’s top assassin. I know, it’s sick, but…right this minute, I feel…I don’t know. Really shitty! “Um…a couple hundred.”

She bites her lip, and closes her eyes. I can’t even imagine what is going through her mind, and I’m not sure, exactly what she is more upset about. Me, being an assassin and killing hundreds of people, or the fact that according to her, I had been hired to kill her and her family.

“Why? How?” angrily she wipes away the tears that, run down her cheek.

Now, I’m really feeling ashamed! It has finally hit me. All those people, whose lives I cut short, without even knowing why. The pain, that their loved ones, felt when they were gone, without warning or a simple good bye. I can’t find my voice, quick enough. After clearing my throat a couple of times, it finally makes an appearance, “I never know why Crystal…I only know how” I can feel the heat of embarrassment, settle on my cheeks, damn emotions. I hate them.

“So…you were just going to kill me and my dad?” her voice is still soft, which makes it impossible to answer her, I just stare down at the floor. “Jack, answer me. I have the right to know. You were just going to kill us without even knowing, why?” she let’s out a bitter giggle “What about the other night? Did they send you to do that too. Screw the targets virgin daughter? Was that…” her voice is forceful and full of anger.

“It’s not like that…I didn’t know it was you.” I blurt, without even thinking it through. I really, don’t want her to know that this troubles me. I wish I could tell her, I’m just as shocked, but I’m not going to give into this bullshit, if she doesn’t believe me. Tough shit!

She walks up to me, we are so close, I can feel the heat of her sweet breath against my face. The sadness in her eyes is apparent and I’m disappointed, to be the reason for it. “You’re a monster! An animal…I can’t believe that I…”

“Wait a damn minute, you were acting all distant and weird after the other night. How the hell do I know, if your in it, with them…and your…you know…is that the reason…” Smooth Jack, just smooth, did that even make sense? NO!

Her mocking laughter fills the house, “Your such a jerk, you know that. I don’t even know who THEY are Jack. I gave myself to you, because…” her eyes wander around the kitchen, and when she looks back at me, a tear runs down her cheek “because I love you Jack…I think that’s a damn good reason.”

Just as I’m about to answer her, with probably another stupid comment. The front door, swings open. I see a tall figure, stumble into the house. Right away, I recognize him, as Richardson, he’s got a startled look on his face, and he’s trying to catch his breath. Uh huh, so this is the bastard I’ve been waiting for…the whole reason I’m here, to begin with.

The source of all my damn problems, right now. If he would have been here, like he was supposed to be…I wouldn’t‘ be here, with horse tranquilizing shit, in me. No…I would be somewhere completely fucking different living it up, getting drunk in a bar, or getting laid.

“What the hell, is going on? What happened, to the barn? Sweetheart are you ok? I‘m sorry for leaving you alone. I shouldn't have left you with Nick…CARTER!!!” he’s talking a mile a minute, as he engulfs the kid, into a hug.

I can’t help, but to hang my head, as the shame resurfaces.

“I’m fine dad. Actually, a lot has happened since you left, but at the time, there is no way to explain it. I’m just happy to see you back.” she holds on to her father, as he squeezes her tight.

I’m not sure, why she’s not telling him right away, all the shit we’ve been through the past two weeks, and that I was sent to kill them and how horrible, of a person I am.

His voice brings me back to the moment, “So who is this?” he inspects me, and I’m already imaging his assessment, especially being an ex cop. Our eyes meet, and he’s got an eyebrow raised in my direction.

I can see the confusion in her face and she opens her mouth “Dad this is…“

“I’m Jack…” I cut her off, hoping that she doesn’t say my name.

She pinches her lips in anger, and glares at me “Well, till recently he was Jack, now he’s Alex Mclean." She tilts her head and gives me a smirk. Why that little…

“Reeeaaaally? he mutters, making me nervous, as he steps closer, inspecting everything about me.

I clear my throat, and glance up at him “Yeah…I’m still getting used to it.” I mumble a bit intimidated, by the man. Oh that’s just great, now I’m intimidated. Since when? Then again, the guy, towers over me, he’s an ex cop, and I was sent to kill him and his daughter. His fatherly instincts are bound to kick in gear, and he would seriously fuck me up.

The kitchen, is eerily quiet, the only thing heard is the wind against the windows, and our breathing. I don't know what the hell to say, or what is going to happen next.

“Wait a damn minute…Alex Mclean…Mclean! All this time, I thought you were…dead!” he is speaking to me, but is staring at nothing. I'm confused, with what he is mumbling, it sounds like he's trying to piece something together, and I really want to know what the fuck it is. Especially after he said my name, like that. “Why is he tied up?”

The kid and I exchange looks and I quickly respond before her “Her and Nick were playing with the TRANQUILIZER GUN…” I have to glare at her, and emphasize on the two words “and accidentally shot a dart to my CHEST, they had to tie me up, because of the affects. I got violent. I’m sorry…” I’m so good at telling bullshit.

“Haven’t I told you two, not to play with those things around the house. You could have killed the poor man. Here let’s untie you.” He takes the knife, from where the kid set it down and walks over, cutting through the rope, and freeing my wrists. That feels damn good, to have the blood flow through my hands and fingers, again.

“Is something wrong dad?” the kid sounds worried, as she looks at her dad’s pensive face. I can tell that even though she is angry and disappointed with me, she doesn't want her father to know the truth.

“There were posters, everywhere with your face on them. We searched high and low for you…when months passed, people started to give up…I can’t believe your…Bob would be…” his voice cuts off, and if I am not mistaken, the big guy is getting emotional.

I'm hearing him talk…and I know it's about me, but nothing makes sense. He mentioned posters, months and my dad’s name. When my mind, says the name again, my fathers face flashes in my head, for the first time in months.

The man in the picture, with Richardson…it was him. My dad. Richardson knew my father. Now the question is…if he was with or against him. So far, it looks safe, but I can never be, too sure. I scan the place for my gun, but nothing is in sight. I rub at my wrist, that are throbbing from struggling against the rope

Nick comes trotting down the stairs “Hey Kev, it’s about time you got back. I had nothing to do with the barn...by the way. You have no idea…what…” he gets a look from both, Crystal and I and he quickly shuts his trap. Have I said it lately? That Nick is a fucking idiot? Well he is!

It’s nice to know, that Richardson knew my father, and I have hope to find out something about him. Now, I’m trying to figure out, why I would be sent to kill someone, that knew about my family. Is there a connection? I need to know more, but I also need us all to get prepared for what is to come. I may have given up on killing Crystal and her dad, but I know damn well, that Don is coming for all of us.

The door bell rings, and we all turn to look at each other. Kevin volunteers to open the door, but Crystal quickly takes his hand and pulls him back. “No, dad…”“ She knows he is still, in danger.

“I’ll go see…” Nick says, heading for the door. About time the dumbass, does something. I watch as he opens the door “Hey there…” he greets.

I catch a glimpse of the person at the door, and my heart sinks, I know that we are in serious trouble, now. Before, I can even give Nick a warning, all I see is the familiar woman raise a shot gun at Nick’s chest, his arms flying up and the wicked smile on her face. “Jack I found you!”

A sigh escapes me as I stare at the evil woman, who has Nick almost shitting his pants “Let him go, he has nothing to do with this. What the hell are you doing here Katy?” Out of all the people, Don had to send his own daughter. I hope he doesn’t take it to the heart, if I have to put a bullet in this bitches head. Although, I have to admit, that it's going to feel really good, when and if I do so.

What in the hell is going on?" Kevin speaks up, taking Crystal into his arms for protection.

“I have a message from my dad for you and Jack.” she nudges the gun into Nick’s chest, pushing him into the kitchen. We are all frozen in place, and I’m cursing a storm, there is nothing in sight, that can be used as a fucking weapon. “Your going to die!” she swiftly aims the gun at Nick’s leg and takes the shot, The loud bang rings through out the house, followed by Nick’s pain filled wails.

God damn it! I'm going to kill that bitch!