- Text Size +
Brian watched as AJ stormed out of the hospital, with only his jeans pulled on under his gown, and get in his car before speeding away. Taking a drag of his cigarette Brian scratched his head. “Where in the hell is he going?” He said quietly to himself quietly.
Stubbing out the cigarette, he coughed slightly and headed back into the hospital, grateful that the press were still unaware as to what had happened, but confused as to how.
He looked at his watch as he headed back to AJ’s room, wondering how long it would take the Carter’s to arrive, hoping they wouldn’t be too late. He shook his head sharply almost immediately after that thought. Nick was going to be fine. He said to himself. Fine. Yeah, whatever. Brian had been through this. He knew all about heart conditions, and he knew damn well that if Nick survived it’d be a miracle.

“You two do realise AJ’s gone?” He said loudly as he walked into AJ’s room.

Howie didn’t stir from his sleep, but Kevin mumbled. “Wha?”

“I said AJ’s gone. He just took off.” Brian repeated.

“Where’d he go?” Kevin replied, trying to shake himself awake.

“Hell if I know.” Brian replied.

“You’ve been smoking again.” Kevin accused.

“So what if I have?” Brian asked, his tone becoming harsh.

“I though you were smarter than that.” Kevin said, his voice like Brian’s.

“Yeah well, now it’s different.”

“Don’t go and fuck yourself up over a bump in the road Brian. He’s gon--”

“A BUMP in the ROAD?” Brian asked angrily. “Our little brother is dying up there and you call this a BUMP in the ROAD?”

“Brian, you know what I meant.”

“No, Kevin. I don’t think I do.” Brian hissed back

Kevin stood up angrily from where he’d been sitting and towered over his cousin “Don’t try and turn this onto me Brian, you know damn well what I meant. He’s gonna be fine.”

“You can’t control death Kevin.” Brian growled.

“Watch me.” Kevin replied, his voice sharp.

Brian let out a sound of disgust and turned away from the taller man. “Screw you man. You’re the one fucking it up. You CAN’T control death Kevin, as much as you may want to. Learn that now, before it’s too late. Again.”

Kevin stared as Brian left the room, quickly wiping away the tears that threatened to fall. No. He COULD control death. And he would.


************


AJ slammed his front door shut, and stomped up the stairs, ignoring the noise he was making, and possibly the damage he was causing. He was furious. The doctor had told him to stop being so ridiculous. To stop being absurd. The doctor had told HIM, AJ McLean! Nobody told AJ McLean he was absurd or ridiculous, because he wasn’t. He was right. Always.
He growled slightly as he began to rummage through the boxes at the back of his closet. He was not absurd dammit, and he would prove it. This doctor obviously didn’t know what it meant to love someone with your whole life. AJ would give his life for Nick’s regardless of what the doctor thought. And if the doctor had to be swayed over AJ’s love for Nick, his little brother. Then AJ would just have to persuade him. He thought to himself as he pulled out a heavy black gun. Wouldn’t he?