- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This is a historical romance inspired by a story I read called 'If Only For A Moment', I liked the story so much that I decided to write one of my own with my own twists.

Also a big thanks to my best friend Krissie (KevinsChickadee) for helping me finish this. Thanks girl!
Taking A Chance
Written by Deanna, copyrighted. 2006


--

Prince Nickolas always knew that he wanted more out of life. Much more than any amount of money could get him. He wanted out of this prison his Mother called a 'palace', wanted to be out in the real world, to know what it was like.

So here he stood on his balcony resting his hands on the stone railing looking out onto the village below. At times he thought that living in the village would be alot better than dealing with his parents, all they seemed to care about were themselves. They didn't care about the village or the people in it. But Nick was different he didn't want to be remembered as a terrible person. He wanted to help people, spend time with them, show them that he cared but his parents wouldn't hear of it, they claimed it was 'unnoble' for a prince to fratenize with commoners. But Nick had explained to them the world of good it would do for him to want to help the kingdom he would rule one day. He sighed at his wayward thoughts and turned his gaze upwards looking at the sky seeing the stars twinkle above him.

Aaron, Nick's younger brother walked down the hall towards his brothers room. Maybe he'd try one last time to get him to come to his senses and stop talking nonsense. Once there he knocked softly on his door calling out for him, when he got no answer he pushed the door open and walked in looking around. That's when he spotted him on the balcony gazing at the stars. Aaron walked towards the balcony and just stood there watching. Why would he want away from this? Any man would love to be in his position and yet he still craved for more.

"You're not still thinking about that are you?"

Nick turned towards the voice to see his brother walking out onto the balcony to join him. "Thinking about what?" He turned away looking back out into the night.

"About going into town. Dressed as one of those people."

"You say that as if it's a horrible thing."

"It is. They are not like us, don't have what we have."

Nick turned to his brother "And I guess I should feel privledged?"

"Well...Yes."

Nick sighed his brother didn't understand, he probably never would. This isn't the life he wanted to lead he didn't ask to be born into this family, so why should he have to stay?

"I suppose you've told Mother and Father about this?"

"No I haven't."

Nick walked past Aaron and through the doors to his room. "Haven't you ever wondered what it would be like?"

"Not really."

When Nick heard his brothers response he quickly turned around looking at him, which was quite easy seeing as they were almost identical in height.

"That's because they are trying to turn you into them, they tried that with me. Tried to make me as uncaring and unfeeling as them, I refuse to be remembered like that."

"If Mother and Father..."

Nick quickly cut him off holding up his hand "...will know nothing of this. Understood?"

Aaron just looked at him not sure what to say.

"Understood?"

Aaron sighed and replied softly "Understood. Can I just say one thing?"

"As always."

"Be careful."

"I will and don't worry about me I can take care of myself." Nick smiled then watched Aaron walked out closing the door.

"Mother and Father will not be pleased..." Aaron mumbled to himself walking down the hallway.

Nick just wanted a change was that so wrong to want something that badly? He had stayed up half the night thinking about what Aaron had said and he was right their parents would not take his departure in stride. If only his brother could be more like him then perhaps he would be the prince that everyone hopes he would be.

---

The next morning he walked down the long hallway to the dining area taking a deep breath before joining his parents and siblings for breakfast.

"Good Morning Mother..." Nick said softly kissing his mothers cheek

"Good Morning to you too Nickolas. I take it you slept well?"

"Yes."

"That's good to hear."

The servants came in with the trays placing them on the table then proceeded to serve the food.

"Aaron tells me that your going into town today. May I ask what for?"

"Nothing really..." Nick said resting his cheek against his palm as he pushed the food around on his plate suddenly not hungry "Just to overlook a few things."

Jane sipped on her juice then asked "What kind of things?"

"Just things..." Nick looked across the table catching his brothers glance which told him not to say a word, even though he knew he desperately wanted to.

After breakfast Nick changed into what he thought would pass for decent 'commoner' clothes. He looked at himself in the mirror and smiled, he could pass for a commoner. He grabbed his cape and gloves as he exited his room. As he started making his way down the hall he heard footsteps rapidly approaching, he looked in the direction they were coming from and saw his Mother coming towards him.

He proceeded to keep walking when he heard her scream "Nickolas Gene Carter what were you thinking?!"

"I have no idea what your talking about."

"What's this I hear about you going into town to..." She trailed off as she glanced at him taking in his clothes "What on earth are you wearing?"

"These would be clothes Mother, surely you know that."

"Don't use that tone with me and there is no way that any son of mine is going out into public in such rags. Take those off at once."

"No. I will do no such thing."

"Nickolas come to your senses, what has gotten into you? Aaron tells me you are wanting to become one of them?"

"And what if I do? Are you going to hold it against me?"

"Well no but..."

"But what? You know what? Save it, I'm out of here."

Nick looked past his Mother and spotted Aaron walking towards them "I thought we had an understanding?"

"I had to."

"No you didn't, you had to be the little sneak you are and tell? Some brother..."

Leslie, Angel, and BJ heard the commotion and rushed out into the hall to see what was going on.

"How could you do this to us, to me, to yourself?!"

"Maybe I'm tired of all of this..." He said waving his hand gesturing to the grand hallway they were standing in "And want to see what else the world has to offer."

"What are you talking about? You have everything anyone could ever want."

"As far as I'm concerned I don't and I'll never have what I want if you keep me locked up in this hellhole for the rets of my life. I need to see things for myself, to see if things are really as bad as you say they are."

"It's who and what you are, it's what you were born into."

"But it's not what I want, it's what you want. I can't be like you and I never want to be."

All his siblings simply stood there and watched as their eldest brother ranted at their Mother, they had never seen Nickolas so furious. Nick took one last look at his Mother and turned on his heels, tying the black cape around his neck.

"Nickolas! Nicko--" Jane called then sighed when she got no answer. "He is gonna destroy the family name." She muttered walking away.

Aaron could do nothing but watch as his brother descended the stairway that lead out of the palace. He didn't see why Nick wouldn't want this they were rich, never had to work, got waited on hand and foot, and had women falling at their feet.

Nick put on his black gloves tightening them as he walked towards the stable, he stopped and glanced back at the palace in the backdrop. He didn't regret what he was doing he wanted to know, wanted to prove that there was something else out there that didn't involve being a prince. He walked into the stable and unlocked the gate gently pulling on the horses reins. He rubbed her coat then climbed up and tied the reins around his hands a few times, he yelled out 'Yah!' and the horse galloped away. He never once looked back at what he was leaving behind.