- Text Size +
It has been nearly two years since Nickolas left behind his life as the heir to the Cartesan throne behind and he couldn't be happier. Nickolas, Deanna, Christallina, Lord Dorough and the girls mother Anna had all found residence in a small village not far from where they ran from. The royals of this village welcomed them and insisted they stay. Nickolas couldn't refuse their kind offer, they even provided them with a house. One that Deanna and Christallina were starting to grow very fond of. But the girls were starting to miss their real home back at the Cartesan village, they had grown up there and that was their true home.

Nick's Mother and Father were starting to grow worried that their son would never return. During this time Aaron had changed significantly, most likely due to his brother's absence. The one Nickolas actually kept in touch with was his younger sister Leslie, the one who helped him free his beloved and his friends. He would send her a letter every few months or so by messenger letting her know how he was doing and that he wanted to return home but not before he was ready. And Leslie learned of something else, the young maiden Deanna that her brother had risked his life to rescue was now his wife. And he explained in vivid detail of their ceremony and how the King and Queen of the kingdom had offered their blessing. She was happy her brother had found love, she could just picture her parents faces when he returned with the news. Nobody knew that she was receiving word from Nickolas, it was kept strictly between them.

---

Nickolas walked out into the garden to get Deanna and Christallina out of the heat, they had been out there for a few hours and Nick thought that was enough. They were working on the garden while pulling vegetables for dinner that night. Deanna smiled when Nick offered his hand to her helping her up.

"You my dear are working too hard."

"I'm used to it and gardening is a woman's work."

"I'm sure whatever the job Dorough and I can handle it." he said taking the small basket from her. "Now go on inside I'll finish up."

Deanna started walking towards the house but stopped and looked back just as Dorough was shooing her sister into the house also.

"Men..." Deanna heard her sister mumble walking past her "Think they can do anything."

"Sister they are only doing it out of love."

"I know."

Later that night after everyone went to bed Nickolas and Deanna were snuggled together in their bed, with Nick running his hand through her hair.

"Do you ever miss it?" Deanna asked breaking the silence

"Miss what?" Nickolas replied looking down at her

"Living at the palace...being a prince..."

"Sometimes...but I would rather be here with you now then back there taking orders from my Mother. Has your love for me changed after having found out I was a prince?"

"Heavens no...I loved you before I knew you were royalty and I would still love you if you were a pauper."

Nickolas smiled lightly kissing her forehead. Nick sat up some curling his finger under her chin, tilting her face up to look at him.

"I promise that when we return you can have anything your heart desires."

"You have my love and my heart and that's worth more to me then any jewel ever could be."

"As do you...you have me mind, body, and soul." He said thumbing her chin then leant in slowly kissing her.

---

Nickolas had sent word to his sister that he would be returning home and she was ecstatic, it had been too long since she had seen her brother. A few weeks earlier he had told her it was alright to tell their parents that she was receiving letters from him. After reading through his most recent letter she ran down to the throne room throwing the doors open.

"Mother, Father I have great news. Nickolas is coming home! I received word from him earlier today."

"That's wonderful Leslie. Make sure everyone knows of Prince Nickolas' return."

Leslie bowed to her parents and hurried out of the throne room doing as her Mother said. Jane sat back in her thrown and thought back to when her son had proposed that the wench he was supposedly in love with to move into the palace. Perhaps his time away was what he needed to break free from her.

Nickolas looked out of the tiny carriage, looking up at the palace and sighed. Deanna placed her hand on his arm.

"Something on your mind my love?"

Nick smiled at his wife "No there is nothing, shall we?"

Nickolas stepped out of the carriage and grabbed Deanna's hand helping her down, then helped Christallina down as well. Doroughs hand immediately slipped into hers and she turned to him smiling. Deanna laced her arm with Nick's as they made their way to the palace gate.

"It is a pleasure to see you your highness."

Nick smiled then proceeded to walk in. The guards stopped them. "I am sorry my lord but under the orders of the Queen, Dorough is no longer allowed on the grounds."

"But I am the prince and I should have some say so on this matter."

"But my Lord your Mother..."

"Will know nothing of this, agreed?"

The guard simply bowed and let them pass. Deanna and Christallina couldn't help but look around in awe, they had never been there before and they knew it wouldn't be the last time they would see it. They approached the throne room and Deanna's grip on her husbands arm tightened.

"No need to worry, you wait here till I've had time to break the news ok?" Nickolas said kissing her forehead and smiled.

Nick walked through the doors, then they were closed.

"Nickolas..." Jane said walking to him hugging him tight "You've returned."

"Hello Mother...Father..." Nick bowed to his Father

"We were worried something happened to you."

"No I just needed to get away, you understand right?"

"Of course and I am sorry for what I said but it needed to be said. Just as long as you didn't run off to marry that awful girl."

Nick's smile quickly faded "Mother there's something I have to tell you."

Jane was reseated at her throne when Nick began to speak "Very well...what is it son?"

Nick walked back through the doors and emerged with what looked like to Jane the village girl she had thrown in the dungeon. Deanna went to bow down but Nick pulled her back up.

"There's no need for that."

Robert looked at his eldest son who was holding the hand of what looked like a local villager. "Nickolas...please say this isn't so..."

"Deanna and I are married now and you will treat her with respect now that she is of royal blood."

"She is not of royal blood Nickolas...she's a commoner, a common wench..."

Nickolas sighed obviously frustrated "I do not care what you think I love her and she doesn't love me because of my wealth."

"Is that so?"

"It is." J

ane looked at Deanna again who wanted to run out of there and never look back. "She is a disgrace to this family. I forbid it."

"There is no law saying we cannot be wed."

"Then I will make one...no royal is to fratenize, look at, or even MARRY a commoner for that matter. So you son are breaking the law."

"A law that you just made and I do not care I love her."

Jane sighed rubbing her head "Robert do something..."

"Son it's not natural what will everyone say?"

"They can say what they wish. Like I said we are married now and..."

"And I forbid it! You are too young to even know what love is!"

---

Christallina and Lord Dorough heard every remark she made. How could someone be so cruel? "I do not care if she is Queen she has no right to berate my sister this way."

"I know but...what can we do?"

---

Deanna looked down quickly withdrawing herself away from Nickolas. His Mother dispised her she knew that from when she first walked into the room. It was a mistake to come here her and Nick should have stayed where they were. She walked backwards quickly retreating the throne room as Nickolas keep going at it with his Mother oblivious to the fact that his beloved had run out.

Christallina just happened to look up when her sister ran past her crying. "That woman just does not know when to let up...," Chrissie mumbled to herself quickly catching up to her sister "Deanna..."

No answer just sobs "Deanna..."

"She hates me. What have I done to her?!" Deanna screamed thankful she was outside of the palace gates. She looked up at the Palace and sighed "His Mother is right he does deserve someone who is more like him."

"No she is not and you know it, Deanna listen to me." Christallina said walking to her sister and placing her hands on her shoulders "You are just as good as any princess but act far better than any of them. You loved him when you thought he had nothing, why change that now?"

"Look at us Chrissie were not exactly royalty."

"We may not be but you and Nick share something that his Mother nor his Father have any control over. I have seen the two of you and he cares a great deal for you and your well being."

Deanna just looked at her sister obviously shocked, she did not know her sister thought that. She then smiled which caused Chrissie to smile as well. "Now no more crying."

Nickolas looked at his Mother than made his way to the door ready to go after his wife, who he knew ran out earlier.

"If you go after her that will ruin your chance of becoming King."

Nick turned to his Mother "Do I look like I care?" When he got no answer he replied "Didn't think so."

"Your throwing away what is your right for a woman?"

"Yes Mother I am, a woman that means more to me than anything in this world and the woman that will one day give birth to your grandchildren. I do not care if you resent her but I will be with her."

Jane looked at her son in disgust "I think not. How could you do this to the family?"

"Love Mother. That young woman captured my heart and as my Mother you should respect my wishes."

Jane just sat there and said nothing. Nickolas looked at his parents one last time then opened the door to see only Lord Dorough standing there.

"Where is she?"

"Outside My Leige...your Mother certainly has a way with words."

"That she does Dorough, that she does. Come shall we go find our maidens?"

Dorough smiled at the prince then followed him towards the front of the palace.

"Nickolas!" Leslie screamed running towards her brother hugging him tightly.

"Leslie it's so good to see you."

"Your not leaving are you?"

Nickolas sighed looking down at his sister "I'm afraid so."

"But why?"

"Mother has made Deanna feel most unwelcome."

"I figured that much at least tell me where your going."

"We have have a house just outside of the village in a nearby kingdom. You would love it Leslie, very beautiful."

"Then I shall come visit you when I can."

"You are welcome in our home anyday dear sister. I must be going."

She leant up and kissed him on the cheek then hugged him again. Nickolas went outside to find Chrissie and Deanna just sitting on the edge of the bridge not talking. Nickolas walked to them and sat beside Deanna rubbing her back.

"Are you alright?"

She turned to him and smiled "Yeah..."

"I am sorry for what my Mother said to you, she had no right."

"She assumes she knows me and the way I live but she will never know unless she spent a day living like my sister and I."

"I agree and I wish to go home, to our home with you."

Deanna and Nickolas both stood and she hugged him tight knowing in her heart she could never let him go. He smoothed her hair down her back resting his chin atop her head, holding her.

Dorough looked on as the couple embraced "Will she be alright?"

"Yes she will just as long as Nickolas is beside her. She has never been good at taking insults, that woman hurt her deeply with her cruel words."

"I could see that, too bad she's not like you. You would surely have given her a piece of your mind."

"That I would." Chrissie looked up into his eyes "No more talk of her, let us go home."

"As you wish my love." Dorough smiled as he linked his hand with hers.