- Text Size +
It was 3am and Nick was sat up in bed with the TV on quietly in the background, tomorrow (well today technically) was his 29th birthday, the last birthday before he hit the big 30, he thought about birthdays he’d had over the years. Man, he’d had some wild parties in his time! But then he smiled as he remembered one particular birthday, January 2007 to be precise........

******

The Backstreet Boys were on a bit of a break before they finished off the recording their new CD, with Kevin gone they even wondered whether they’d still be able to cut it as a band, but they were going to give it a go. Anyways, the guys were on a break and had all gone their separate ways for a few weeks and were due to get back in the studio at the beginning of February. Brian had gone home to Atlanta to be with his family, Howie was on holiday in the Bahamas with his girlfriend and AJ was in London. “He must be freezing his ass off over there, he must be nuts“ Nick thought, chuckling to himself, but he knew AJ loved the place.

Nick decided to spend some time out of the public eye for a while, House of Carters hadn’t gone down too well, in fact, he’d faced a lot of criticism over it, but he was glad he’d done it nevertheless, it had been a cathartic experience, but not one to be repeated. So, with his birthday fast approaching he took off, away from the cameras, away from the wild parties, the gold diggers and hangers on and all things negative in his life, he was going to do something different this year.

He loaded his car up and set off for Bodega Bay, a tiny little seaside village in Northern California which he’d been recommended by a friend as the kind of place he could just chill, watch the ocean, see whales and just get away from it all. It was just what he needed. He drove up the Pacific Coast Highway, his fingers drumming on the steering wheel as he sang along to his cd‘s, he felt relaxed already. The road was pretty quiet, he was in no rush as he cruised along the highway, glancing out to the side of him from time to time. He arrived as the sun was setting over the ocean, it looked so beautiful, he couldn’t wait to get unpacked and take a walk, he needed to stretch his legs after the long drive and the beach looked so peaceful and inviting at this time of day.

“Not bad” he said as he walked into the cottage he’d rented. It was quite small but had everything he needed, including a fabulous ocean view from the bedroom. He unloaded his car, he hadn’t brought a lot really, just the essentials and of course his laptop, he couldn’t go away without that!

The night air was cool as he stepped out of the cottage, he went back inside and grabbed a chunky sweater, then closed the door behind him and took a walk down to the beach. Although it was getting dark now, he could see his way by the glow of the moonlight reflecting off the ocean, and there were little lights dotted around too, it would’ve been romantic if he’d had someone special here with him. If only! His last serious girlfriend had cheated on him while he’d been on the Never Gone tour and since then he’d just had casual flings, just girls who satisfied the sexual needs he had, but no one he actually felt like getting into a relationship with.

Once he got to the sand, Nick took his flip flops off and carried them in his hand, feeling the cold sand between his toes and sending a slight shiver through his body. He soon got used to it, it was kind of refreshing.

“Fuck!!!” he muttered as he felt something sharp against the bottom of his foot. He sat down on the sand to take a look at it, seeing a shard of glass poking out of his skin “what the fuck, just my friggin luck” he muttered to himself again as he tried to pull the glass out without tearing his skin any further.

“Hey, are you OK there?” came a soft voice and Nick turned to see a pretty looking woman, around mid twenties he guessed, she was dressed in jogging pants and a vest top with an iPod in her hand, water bottle in the other.

“Yeah thanks, I just gashed my foot on some glass that’s all” replied Nick as he finally got the piece of glass out of his foot, blood trickling over his fingers.

“You wanna get that looked at, I’m staying just over there, I can take a look for you” she said “I’m a nurse by the way”

“I don’t wanna be any trouble, it’ll be OK” he said

“Well, better to be safe than sorry. I’m Hannah” she said bending down to take a look at Nick’s bleeding foot.

“Nice to meet you Hannah, I’m Nick” he replied and got up and limped along with Hannah towards her place. It was a beach house, raised on legs so that it was safely away from the water and to provide stunning views all around. “Nice place you got” said Nick as they got to the house.

“Yeah, it’s my parents holiday home, I like to come up here sometimes when I just wanna escape the world” she said

“I know what you mean……about escaping” Nick said and sat down so that Hannah could take a look at his foot. She got out some antiseptic wipes and began to gently clean the wound, it wasn’t as bad as she’d suspected. Nick winced a little and Hannah smiled up at him and apologised.

“There, all done” she said after putting a band aid on his foot.

“Thanks” Nick said “well, I suppose I’d better be heading back, I’ve imposed on enough of your time already”

“It’s OK, I don’t mind, really. It’s not like I’m going anywhere” she laughed and Nick couldn’t help noticing just how beautiful she was, especially when she smiled. She had a beautiful smile, deep blue eyes and long brown hair which was casually tied back in a ponytail to keep it out of her face while she jogged.

“So, you here alone?” Nick asked

“Until tomorrow yeah, then my parents are coming up for the weekend. I just wanted to get away a little earlier, have a bit of time alone, to chill” she replied “what about you? I’ve not seen you here before around these parts”

“I’m here alone too. It’s my birthday tomorrow and I don’t know, but I just wanted to get away from everything this year. A friend recommended I check this place out, I’ve gotta say, it’s very relaxing here”

“Mmmm, it is. I’ve been coming here for years with my parents” she said. They sat in silence for a moment then she asked if he would like a drink, she walked into the kitchen and grabbed a couple of bottles of Bud from the fridge and opened then, handing one to Nick “thanks” he replied taking it from her. They sat in the cool night air, sipping their drinks and talking, nothing more than that, and Nick liked it, it was good to just be himself around a woman.

“Well, I really should be going now, but maybe I’ll see you around as I’m here for a few days” said Nick

“I hope so. Goodnight Nick” she said and watched as he walked away.

Nick walked back to the cottage, he had a good feeling about this little vacation. He made himself a sandwich, got a bottle of beer out of the fridge and switched on his laptop, although to be honest, he wasn’t really in the mood for playing video games tonight, so after a little while he switched it off and went to bed. Oh yeah, he knew how to live life on the edge!!

The following morning he woke up feeling great, that early night had done him the world of good and had been just what he needed. He opened the blinds and looked out at the spectacular view, wondering what he could do today, his 27th birthday. He’d not spent a birthday alone for as long as he could remember, he’d always been surrounded by friends, family and acquaintances. Oh well, different was good!

After taking a shower and having breakfast he left the cottage, deciding to take a proper look around, it had been a bit too dark to take it all in yesterday. He walked along the beach, hoping he’d bump into Hannah again, but he didn’t. He sat down on a rock and cleared his mind, just listening to the sound of the waves crashing against the sand, it was a sound he’d never tire of hearing. He loved being near the ocean.

Getting up and dusting off the little grains of sand from his jeans, he walked away from the beach and into the village, see whether there was anywhere he could grab a coffee or something. It was pretty much deserted at this time of the year, but he liked it like that, he could go about his business without being hassled. “Hmm this’ll do” he thought to himself and walked in through the door of an inviting looking little café, he ordered a hot chocolate and took a seat by the window, lost in his own thoughts.

“Hey, how’s the foot today?” came a voice that snapped him out of his daydream.

“Oh, hi Hannah, it’s OK thanks. Would you like to join me?” asked Nick gesturing to the empty seat opposite him.

“Sure. Happy birthday by the way” she said and sat down opposite. They sipped at their drinks and talked for a while about anything and everything, they were just so comfortable together and it all came natural. Nick’s phone rang a few times, friends and relatives calling and texting to wish him a happy birthday and ask why he’d chosen to spend it alone, he knew they meant well but they just couldn’t understand that he wanted to get away from it all. Hannah placed her hand over his “I understand Nick, I know what it’s like to have a hectic busy job, everyone wanting a piece of you. Sometimes you just have to take some time out for yourself, it’s only natural”

They spent the rest of the day together as neither of them had anything else to do and they were enjoying each other’s company. The two of them went horse riding on the beach, when they’d gained some confidence on their horses, they began to race each other, Hannah beating him and pulling silly faces at him, to which he laughed. He hadn’t enjoyed himself like this with a woman for a long time, it felt good.

“What’re you doing later? Would you like to go out for something to eat?” asked Nick hopefully

“I’d really like that Nick, there’s a gorgeous little Italian restaurant I know, it only seats about 12 people and the food is just exquisite” replied Hannah

“Then it’s a date” Nick said and he told her he’d pick her up at 8pm.

She wasn’t kidding, the restaurant was very exclusive and the food was the best Italian food he’d had in a long time. The restaurant was dimly lit with little fairy lights, decorated in a rustic style and with a stunning view of the Bay, it was perfect. After a wonderful evening they walked back along the beach, it was chilly so Nick put his arm around Hannah, she snuggled in closer to him and he smiled.

“Thanks for a lovely birthday” Nick said when they reached Hannah’s place and he reached down to place a gentle kiss on her lips.

“Goodnight Nick” Hannah said “see you tomorrow?”

“You bet you will!” he said.

******

Nick looked down at the baby in his arms, she’d finally gone to sleep! Hannah lay beside him in bed, fast asleep, she looked as beautiful today as the day he’d met her, more so if that were possible. He crept out of bed so as not to disturb Hannah or baby Maya, placed her in her crib and stood there looking at her for a moment. He was a lucky guy.

A chance meeting on a beach two years ago had brought Hannah into his life and he was forever grateful for that, they’d carried on seeing each other after leaving the Bay, meeting up as often as they could depending on work. After six months Nick had asked her to marry him, they both knew it was fast but sometimes you have to follow your instincts and do what your heart tells you is right, they were made for each other.

“Mmmm Nick come back to bed” said Hannah sleepily. Nick walked away from the baby crib which was in their bedroom and climbed into bed beside his wife and pulled her close to him, stroking her hair “happy birthday” she said and they both drifted off to sleep.

THE END