- Text Size +

Sighing heavily, Nick walked out of the bathroom, feeling relieved and ready to take on more drinks. As he began walking back to the bar, he found himself trying to get through a sudden forming crowd that was trying to get to the back exit.

Puzzled, he glanced around at the people that were pushing past him, until he finally reached out to grab a man just as he passed. “What’s going on?” he yelled over the commotion.

“Some crazy shit’s going on outside man.” the man yelled back as he pulled away from Nick and continued on towards the back exit.

Disregarding it, he continued to make his way through the crowd over to where he saw Marcus, still seated at the bar.

“What number is this?” he asked as he sat down beside Marcus, watching him down another glass.

“Eight.” Marcus slurred as he slammed his glass down, waiting for someone to refill his cup.

Nick glanced around, noticing for the first time that AJ was gone. “Hey, where’s Jay?”

“He went out back for a smoke.”

Nick’s eyes widened upon hearing that, “Are you fucking kidding me?”

Marcus shot a look over at him, “Yeah, why man? Is he not allowed to smoke either?”

“Fuck man, we gotta find him.” was all Nick said as he shot up and began walking to where people were now fighting to get to.

Marcus turned in his seat to see the commotion going on behind him for the first time, “Shit, what the hell is going on?” When he realized that Nick was making his way over towards the fighting crowd, he quickly shot out of his seat and grabbed Nick by the arm before he could proceed any further. “What in the hell are you doing? You fittin’ to get yourself wound up and lost in that mob?” he asked, feeling himself sober up a bit.

“You said AJ went to go smoke out back. On my way back, I had stopped a man to ask him what was going on and he said some shit was going down outside and look where they’re to get.” Nick said as he pointed towards the back exit.

“Oh fuck.” Marcus mumbled as he let Nick go and quickly began shoving himself through.

Nick tried to keep up with him, but try as he might he just wasn’t big enough to fight through the crowd like Marcus had been able to do. He received a few hits from other people here and there, but disregarded it in his haste to find his friend and make sure he was okay. When they finally reached the back exit, they were stopped by a large bouncer, standing in front of the door.

“Excuse me, we have to get out there.” Nick spoke as he took a step forward.

“I’m sorry sir, but I cannot let anyone in nor anyone out. It’s too dangerous.”

“So instead of trying to break up the fight that’s happening in here you’re gonna stand in front of this fucking door?” Nick snapped, now getting into the face of the bouncer.

Marcus quickly reeled Nick back, “Cool it.” he muttered to him as he turned his focus back on the bouncer. “Look, I’m not sure if you knew but you have celebrities in your club and I happen to be a bodyguard. One of the celebrities I’m guarding stepped out back for a smoke, and I don’t know what’s going on right now, but I need to get to him and make sure everything’s okay.”

“I don’t know what the situation is out there, all I know is that people were starting a riot for god knows what and I’d be putting a lot of people at risk if I were to open these doors and let you guys out or let the ones who were outside in. As soon as we get this place settled, I’ll let you out.”

“By then it’ll be too late. Just let me out, you make sure no one follows me out and I’ll make sure no one gets in, okay?”

The bouncer sized Marcus up and down and decided that he could hold his own. “Alright man, but no reentry once I let you out.”

“Reentry is far from my minds.” Marcus said as he scooted closer to the door. “Nick, I want you to stay in here.”

“The hell I am!” Nick shouted as he moved closer to Marcus.

“It’s for your safety…” Marcus tried to explain, but Nick cut him off.

“Fuck that man, lets just go.”

As soon as the bouncer opened the door, both Marcus and Nick rushed out to find a group of men hovering over something, or rather someone, watching as one person continued to kick whatever or whomever it was on the ground.

“Oh god.” Nick choked out.

“What the hell is going on?” Marcus roared, causing all of the men to turn and face him.

“Nothing of your concern fat ass, so just take a walk.” one of the guys replied.

Nick looked down at the person they were crowded around and gasped when he realized who it was. “AJ!” he screamed as he pushed pass Marcus to make his way over to his injured friend.

One of the men quickly wielded out a knife and stepped forward to stop Nick from proceeding any further, but Nick didn’t stop. His concentration solely on his friend, he failed to see the man with the knife and only felt searing pain when the sharp blade slashed across his forearm.

“Back away Nick.” Marcus shouted as he now made his way over towards the group, hoping that the men would feel intimidated and back down, but they hid cowardly and stood bold behind their weapons.

“Fine… if you guys won’t leave, then we’ll just fucking take you out.” Seth said as he reached for his gun.

Before anything could be done, they all fell silent to hear the shrill sound of sirens fill the night air. “Fuck, cops.”

As the group quickly dispersed and ran off into the night, Seth remained there, pulling his hand away from his gun to point at both Nick and Marcus, “I’ll fucking find you guys and we’ll finish what we started.” He looked down at the immobile body that laid crumbled beneath him. “Fuck you.” he said as he spat at him, then turned to walk away.

Nick ignored the throbbing pain that now coursed through his arm and knelt down beside AJ, afraid to touch him, afraid to find out if he was still alive. Through the pale light of the alleyway, he could see gaping lacerations that decorated his flesh, his eyes and face swollen beyond recognition, painted with a dark blue, angry purple, and fierce red. As his eyes continued to trail downwards, he noticed that some parts of his clothes were torn open, blood seeping through the fabric. His arms were enflamed as well, covered in dark bruises and small gashes. At that moment, AJ looked completely broken, beyond repair.

“Oh my god…” Nick cried out, tears streaming down his face. With shaky hands, he slowly reached out to the torn figure that no longer looked to be his friend, trying to figure a way to find out if he was still alive. He quickly jerked his hands back when he noticed the unsteady rise and fall of his chest, allowing his loud thumping heart to quite for a while to hear the shallow wheezing coming from his friend.

“He needs help… we gotta get him help, god we gotta do something!” Nick sobbed, his voice already going hoarse. The sirens that were coming were now getting louder and louder, “HELP!!” he screamed out in a rasp, hoping they could hear him and would hurry. “He needs help…” he whimpered this time.

Marcus stood there, rooted to the ground in complete and utter shock. There, his best friend, laid mangled and on the edge of death… all because of him. He had allowed himself to get lost in his drinking and had failed to do the very thing he was called to do, which was protect him. Because of him, his best friend was dying. His eyes clouded with tears, anger and shame, he glowered off into the darkness, to the path Seth had taken off to. Without a word, he walked off, leaving Nick and AJ behind.

Nick glanced up for a moment to catch Marcus leaving them, “Marc?” he called out through his tears, but got no response. “Where are you going? Don’t leave us here, please man. AJ fucking needs us, he needs help you can’t just leave him. I can’t do this on my own, please fucking help me!” he screamed, but it was no use. Before he knew it, Marcus disappeared into the night.

Nick’s body was wracked harder with sobs now, being left alone to try and help his severely injured friend. “Stay with me Alex…” he whispered, touching the torn flesh of his face for the first time. He winced, being able to feel the pain AJ must’ve felt from being touched, but he didn’t react. “They’re almost here, we’re gonna get you help buddy… you’re gonna be okay.”