- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much for all the great feedback! I really appreciate it. Again, this chapter is a bit short and shaky, but I'm trying! I don't really love my song choice for this chapter but it's the closest thing I could find to what I was looking for. I hope everyone enjoys!
“What were you thinking? He asked you to go back to his hotel and you said no?!? Seriously, what is wrong with you… and now you’re talking to yourself… and talking like you’re not yourself.” Veronica screamed in frustration, “what is wrong with me?” She continued walking until suddenly she wasn’t sure where she was exactly. Within a couple of blocks she was back on track and called for a taxi when she got to the main road. Within a couple of minutes she was back to her apartment and changing out of her suit and into Victoria Secret’s sweats and a t-shirt. She grabbed her laptop and sunk into her bed. With a couple clicks of her mouse she was signed onto her instant messenger and checking her e-mails.

She was about to explode with excitement from the night and she couldn’t wait any longer. She finally pulled up the one website she was forcing herself to stay away from, the Backstreet Boys Fanclub. She had been a member for years but had never in a million years think she’s actually meet them. She logged on and instantly went into the chat room. “Please be on, please be on.” She said quickly as she was waiting for the page to load. “Bingo!” Veronica found the name she was looking for and quickly sent a private message.

ThatGirl: OMG OMG OMG!!!
Cassidy: What?
ThatGirl: So I have to tell you something, and you can’t tell anyone, I mean seriously!
Cassidy: Ha, okay, but seriously who am I gonna tell that it would matter, I am like 700 miles away.
ThatGirl: Cass, seriously.
Cassidy: Okay okay I won’t tell anyone. So what is it? Did you sleep with AJ or something? Haha
ThatGirl: …
Cassidy: WHAT?!? Wait wait wait, what is going on?
ThatGirl: So you know how the boys are like doing that radio tour thing? Well I kind of bumped in AJ at the bar.
Cassidy: You are so lying to me.
ThatGirl: I am not! I swear to God! And when I say bumped into, I mean I literally bumped into him… classic me. Ha!
Cassidy: Why didn’t you call me?!?
ThatGirl: It’s like after midnight. I just got on hoping you’d be here.
Cassidy: So wait… go back… you had sex with him?
ThatGirl: No. I just couldn’t… he asked me back to his hotel, so maybe I’m even presuming that something would have happened, I don’t know.
Cassidy: Oh whatever, you’re gorgeous, of course he was looking to hook up. Did you at least make out with him?
ThatGirl: Shut up, and no… I didn’t even give him my number! I said some stupid line, like ‘if you wanna find me figure it out’ or some stupid shit like that. I don’t’ know what I was thinking.
Cassidy: Yeah, me either, you’re pretty stupid.
ThatGirl: Gee thanks, I love you too! Haha… but hey I’m gonna lay down or something, I just had to tell you.
Cassidy: Yeah, but don’t think you’re getting off that easy. I expect a phone call tomorrow with FULL details.
ThatGirl: Will do. Good night, lover!
Cassidy: Good night.

Veronica had met Cassidy on the fanclub years ago and they had become instant friends regardless of the fact that they lived states apart and until recently had never met. Cassidy was someone Veronica could talk to whenever something happened and she didn’t have to worry about her judging her or running to tell the rest of her friends. Veronica had always considered Cassidy as one of her best friends regardless of the ridicule she got from her other friends. They just didn’t understand still being a BSB fan after 11 years.

Veronica went to sleep but really didn’t get any sleep that night. Her mind kept racing, replaying everything she should have done and what she would have done different.

I should be sleeping
'Stead of keeping
These late hours I've been keeping
I've been pacing and retracing
every step of every move
even though I'm feeling so right
I'm so happy still I know I
should be sleeping
instead of dreaming about you

The weekend went by without anything major happening. Although, Veronica kept checking her phone every five seconds to see if maybe a mystery call had come through. “Who am I kidding, there is no way he’s gonna find me, not like he’d even try anyway.”



AJ had returned to the bar and was able which way to go to get back to the hotel, but the entire time he couldn’t get his mind of her. Had he really been shut down by a girl that didn’t know who he was? And how in the world is he gonna find her? AJ finally got back to the hotel and found Nick sitting at the bar off the lobby. “Hey, why you down here and not down at the bars?”

“I’m not in the mood to deal with crowds right now, and it’s not like I won’t have three other nights to do it. What is there to do in this town anyway? I may go crazy if we have to stay longer than we’re supposed to.”

“I don’t know, I kind of like it here.” AJ smiled.

“Wait, where did you go?” Nick said looking at AJ suspiciously.

“There was this girl”

“Of course, there’s always a girl.” Nick rolled his eyes.

“Look who’s talking. Anyway, there was this girl at the bar, she seemed to be having a bad day so we went out for coffee.”

“And a fuck?”

“No.”

“AJ, come on, I know you too well to believe that you didn’t fuck her.” Nick picked up his beer and took a sip.

“Naw, she actually… turned me down.” Nick couldn’t contain his surprise as his spit out his beer all over AJ. “Again? This is the second time I’ve had beer spilled on me tonight, well I guess you SPIT this on me. Dude, give me a napkin or something.” Nick handed him some that were laying on the bar.

“So wait this girl turned YOU down? As in she said No to you? As in you both went home but not together?”

“Yes, you ass. However you wanna put it, we did not have sex and she did say no to me.”

“Well, that’s just a blow to the ego.” Nick laughed.

“Thanks for being supportive man.” AJ chuckled himself. “You need to see her, there’s just something about her, it’s I don’t even know how to explain it.”

“You’re just saying that ‘coz she said no, and it’s killing you.”

“Well yes, I mean, no… it’s that and I don’t know.” AJ smiled again, “Dude, she’s beautiful and has these amazing eyes, and legs, oh my God her legs with 4 inch heels. They could have walked all of me.”

“So what’s her name?”

“Veronica”

“Nice stripper name, now I get the 4 inch heels.” Nick laughed and AJ slapped him upside the head. “Oww.”

“That didn’t hurt, don’t be a pussy.”

“Well did you at least get her number?”

“No, that’s the thing, she wouldn’t give it to me. She gave me some bullshit line like, if you want it you have to find it. And how the hell am I supposed to do…” Just then his face lit up and he got an idea he started to run out of the hotel.

“Where you going?”

“I’ll be back!!” He jogged out of the hotel and ran straight up to the bar and then to the bartender. “Tommy, right?” The bartender turned around and gave AJ a funny look.

“Yeah, can I help you?”

“The girl, I mean Veronica, she was here earlier, do you know how to get ahold of her?”

“Look buddy, I don’t know you, and I’m not your personal phone book, I’m not just gonna give you information on her, she’s a friend.”

“I get it and I don’t doubt it, but I need something, anything, just any information about her, please! I’m not going to stalker her I just need to talk to her.”

“Listen, the only thing I’m gonna tell you is she works downtown for a law firm called Baldwin & Heckman.”

“Thank you, thank you!” With that a smile spread across his face as he walked out of the bar. He knew just what he had an idea.

I should be sleeping
'Stead of keeping
These late hours I've been keeping
I've been pacing and retracing
every step of every move
even though I'm feeling so right
I'm so happy still I know I
should be sleeping
instead of dreaming about you



Monday morning came and to no surprise of Veronica she never did hear from AJ. She listened to the local radio station on the way in to see if maybe the boys would be on.

“You’re listening to 92.7 fm, and as most of you know we were supposed to have the Backstreet Boys on this morning, however there’s a been a change of plans. Something got pushed back on our end it looks like we’ll be having them on the show tomorrow instead. I hope we didn’t upset too many of you crazy fans out there, but hey that means they’ll be in town for one more night.”

“Figures.” Veronica said as she pulled into the parking garage of her office building. “Oh today is just going to be a great day, I can just tell.” Her sarcasm streaming through her words. She walked into her office, and she of course was the first person there. She went through her normal morning ritual and got her many files ready for the day. Mondays were usually her busy as her boss liked to go into the office on the weekend and leave her much to do. Before she knew it, it was past lunch and close to 4 o’clock. “Just one more hour.” Just then there was a knock on the door.

“I have a delivery for a Miss … Veronica, just Veronica.” She looked up from her desk.

“That’s me.” She said unsure.

“Sign here.” She signed and he handed her a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

“Who in the world?” Veronica searched for the card. The card was blank except for a phone number. She held the card for a moment trying to decide what to do. Finally she gave in and picked up her cell phone and dialed the number. It rang and rang and rang. Finally someone picked up, but didn’t say anything. “Hello?” No response. She hung, ‘well that’s just weird.’ Not even 30 seconds later her phone rang. It looked at the caller ID and sure enough it was the number on the card. “Hello?”

“Hey, so I got your number.” Her mouth dropped as she heard the words come from his raspy voice.

“Only because I called you first.”

“True, but you just said I had to find you, and I did. I win.”


Song – Should Be Sleeping By: Emerson Drive